PDA

View Full Version : Extra Spell-Like Ability?

gbprime
2010-12-23, 12:06 PM
is there a feat in 3.5 that gives bonus uses per day of a given Spell-Like ability? I know there are feats that will give bonus uses of Darkness, for example, but how about for any specific spell-like ability?

DementedFellow
2010-12-23, 12:07 PM
Are you looking for a certain spell that you would like to have as a spell-like ability? Or merely an all-purpose spell-like ability?

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-23, 12:07 PM
...Probably! I know there are feats to, say, specifically give more uses of a Dragonmark, so it doesn't seem to be a stretch.

I couldn't name it off the top of my head, though.

If you were going to homebrew it, I'd say the prerequisite would be something like 6HD for a spell-like ability up to level 3, 12HD for 4th to 6th, and 18HD for 7th to 9th.

gbprime
2010-12-23, 12:17 PM
Are you looking for a certain spell that you would like to have as a spell-like ability? Or merely an all-purpose spell-like ability?

Looking for all-purpose. Given PrC gets a Spell-Like ability once per day, want more uses, trying to avoid homebrew.

dextercorvia
2010-12-23, 12:23 PM
To the best of my knowledge, no. There is Magic in the Blood, which lets you use racial SLA's more often, and there is some stuff with Dragonmarks. I searched high and low for something to increase uses of the Animal Growth during the Animal Lord Iron Chef and found nothing.

nedz
2010-12-23, 12:29 PM
Not sure quite what you are after ?
Any of these help ?

Extra Divine Power [General] (DR343 p91)
+2 uses of your Divinely granted class ability each day.

Extra Spell Secret [General] (CArc p80)
Gain an additional use of the Spell Secret class ability.

Extra Remove Disease [Purification] (DR337 p98)
You may use Remove Disease as a Spell-like ability two more times per week.

Extra Silence [General] (RoS p139)
Whisper Gnome only You can use your Racial Silence spell-like ability (3 + Charisma modifier) times per day.

Extra Wild Shape [Wild] (CDiv p81) (Und p25)

gbprime
2010-12-23, 12:45 PM
Extra Divine Power [General] (DR343 p91)
+2 uses of your Divinely granted class ability each day.

Hmm. Good one. I'll make a note of that.

Unfortunately, I'm looking at a PrC that doesn't grant divine spells, just spell like abilities. So while that's amazingly useful, it doesn't cover me in this particular case.

Darrin
2010-12-23, 01:01 PM
There's Innate Spell in Complete Arcane. Turn a 1st level spell into an SLA, unlimited use.

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-23, 01:09 PM
There's Innate Spell in Complete Arcane. Turn a 1st level spell into an SLA, unlimited use.

He already has the SLA. He wants extra uses of it.

Darrin
2010-12-23, 01:32 PM
He already has the SLA. He wants extra uses of it.

Which he would get, if he can cast it as a 1st level spell, and also has 9th level spell slots.

gbprime
2010-12-23, 01:46 PM
Which he would get, if he can cast it as a 1st level spell, and also has 9th level spell slots.

Nope, no dice. I'm fishing for stuff that is completely independant of spells and spell slots. Just ways to get bonus uses per day out of a PrC's spell like ability.

Darrin
2010-12-23, 06:08 PM
Nope, no dice. I'm fishing for stuff that is completely independant of spells and spell slots. Just ways to get bonus uses per day out of a PrC's spell like ability.

Could you be more specific about the PrC and the SLA? There's no *general* way to get more of an SLA, but we might be able to track down something more specific.

Zaq
2010-12-23, 07:09 PM
Isn't there something in Eberron about using action points to get extra uses of per-day abilities? I don't have my book open, so I might be totally imagining this, but if I'm right, you could beg your GM to let you use action points, and/or use one of the feats or spells or whatever that give them to you.

Probably not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-23, 07:28 PM
Isn't there something in Eberron about using action points to get extra uses of per-day abilities?
It's just for a specific list:
Activate Class Feature: You can spend 2 action points to gain another use of one of the following class features that has a limited number of uses per day: bardic music, rage, smite evil, Stunning Fist, turn or rebuke undead, or wild shape.

ericgrau
2010-12-23, 07:31 PM
You may or may not be able to beef them up via extra uses but there are the feats empower spell like ability and quicken spell like ability in the monster manual.

Escheton
2010-12-23, 08:02 PM
Savage Species or Tome of Magic might have the feat.
ToM has a class that casts them and SS is monsterbased, which have SLA's as well.

Zaq
2010-12-23, 08:15 PM
ToM has a class that casts them

Trust me, there's nothing in the Truenamer section that will help you. You were probably thinking of Binders, who use (Su) abilities, but the Truenamer's Utterances are all (Sp) abilities. Shadowcasters sortakinda cast SLAs, but not really.

gbprime
2010-12-23, 08:59 PM
Savage Species or Tome of Magic might have the feat.

Good thought, but SS was the first place I looked. :smallbiggrin: Tome of Magic didn't pan out either, and I knew about Action Points being specific to listed class abilities, so ixnay on that as well. Nor am I looking to Quicken or Empower anything, just get more of it.

I spent the afternoon looking through the most recent 80 Dragon Magazines, so I'm coming to the conclusion that the answer is "no, not without 3rd party or homebrew".

And for reference, I was asking because I was idly curious. Looking at the Disciple of X prestige classes in Book of Vile Darkness, most of them summon some decent outsiders once per day. So I was looking for a way to make it MORE than once per day.

true_shinken
2010-12-25, 05:13 PM
Isn't there something in Eberron about using action points to get extra uses of per-day abilities?
As Curmodgeon said, Eberron action points are limited in what you can gain extra uses of.
SRD action points, on the other hand, are not.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-25, 05:49 PM
SRD action points, on the other hand, are not.
Do note that there's no such thing as "SRD action points". The System Reference Document consists of the Open Gaming License parts of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. WotC has released other material under the OGL, including parts of Unearthed Arcana, and that's where the action points variant rules at d20srd.org come from. The OGL material omits many of the "Behind the Curtain" UA sidebars, but not the one from page 122 including this:
For DMs who are worried that action points increase the power level of characters without an offsetting cost, there’s an easy solution. Just think of each action point as a one-use magic item with a broad range of possible effects. With that analogy, it becomes easy to justify reducing the amount of treasure awarded to balance out the accrual of action points. If you get your DM to work with this variant rule, expect some consequences. :smallwink:

Action points rule variant link here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionpoints.htm).

Coidzor
2010-12-25, 06:06 PM
Is it a Racial SLA? I believe there's a feat that makes 1/day SLAs into 3/day SLAs if they're from a racial source. Magic in the Blood or sommat.

Edit: Ahh, won't help with class-based SLAs... sorry.