PDA

View Full Version : 4e Throwing Ranger Human

Nosferocktu
2010-12-23, 06:53 PM
Looking for input for making an urban style Human throw spec Ranger. My group is looking for a different type of ranger since we have the naturally common elven bow spec Ranger. I am looking for as much input to consider, so if you have any other ideas for any thing that could help this into fruition, it would be greatly appeciated. I have the 4th Ed. books coming in to the island for me, so any new info on the newest ed. would be most helpful to the class and race. I eagerly await your banter. *sits in chair, twiddling thumbs*

Kurald Galain
2010-12-23, 07:08 PM
The question, then, is whether you want to play an archetypical ranger-style character, or a character with the class named "ranger". Because in the latter case, your character is going to end up pretty much the same as (but somewhat less effective than) the archer ranger.

Rangers are not very varied. Powerful and effective, yes, but varied, no. That includes their powers, most of which are simply variations of "you shoot the enemy".

So I'd suggest that you play a rogue. They're urban and martial, work well with thrown weapons, and are very flexible and versatile.

WitchSlayer
2010-12-23, 07:19 PM
I believe there's a marauder ranger that specializes in thrown weapons, or I might be wrong. There's also a fighter who, when dual wielding and with the deft hurler feat, when he cleaves he can throw an offhand thrown weapon instead of hitting a nearby enemy.

Nosferocktu
2010-12-23, 07:23 PM
True. Im trying to keep the options open as rouge as well. But I see your point. If I still keep with the ranger idea, half-orc duely? I know it is pushing it but I am trying to keep a functional small pet.

Kurald Galain
2010-12-23, 07:32 PM
If I still keep with the ranger idea, half-orc duely? I know it is pushing it but I am trying to keep a functional small pet.

Ah, you want an animal companion? Might I recommend you look at the Sentinel Druid, the Arcane Familiar feat, and the Shaman class?

Nosferocktu
2010-12-23, 07:41 PM
Not a bad idea. I am trying to get the specs on what my pet could do. Im choosing a ferret. I am really trying to stave away from the norm of wolves, bears, and hawks. Heck, our ranger has a typical Grey wolf. We still call her character "Playbook Parash'ta". It get a good laugh.

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-23, 07:48 PM
If you're thinking Ferret/weasel sized, then what you want is an Arcane Familiar, really. Nice and simple. The Beastmaster Ranger is not designed to model that scale of pet.

Frankly, you'd only need the Arcane Familiar feat if you actually intend to make use of the creature. If you just want a pet weasel, you do not need a feat for that.

Kiero
2010-12-23, 08:09 PM
How about going ancient and making a peltast-style character? Main missile weapon would be javelins.

Nosferocktu
2010-12-23, 08:21 PM
True.... like I said, Im glad that I am trying to get as much info as possible before I head out and make this. I wanted to know if I actually needed a feat to have a ferret as a pet. I wanted a pet I could easily take with me that I could conceal if need be, and had a few abilities like burrowing and fitting into cramped spaces. -

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-23, 08:39 PM
Technically, an Arcane Familiar would be part of your character. It can be killed, but due to the fact that by RAW they aren't exactly natural creatures, just appear again shortly after. You can also explicitely dictate their actions, though it takes your actions to do so, basically.

A weaselly Familiar could do all manner of 'I have a weasel minion' kind of stuff, and you'd get some small bonus just from keeping him around otherwise. It basically sounds spot on for what you need.

Two existing familiars would be a good match to model this, infact;
The Weasel gives a small bonus to acrobatics and bluff, and is himself very sneaky and hard to hit in a fight.
The Rat (Which could model a ferret or weasel perfectly well) gives a small bonus to stealth, and is itself very stealthy. It can also, however, carry an object that ways 2lbs, and manipulate objects to make theivery checks (And gets a bonus when doing so. Otherwise familiars use your skills, I believe).

That's all spelled out, official style. If your DM is the flexible kind, he'll probably let you get away with more than that, but you at least have a little RAW to work with as a guideline there.

Again, if you just want to own a ferret, I doubt it'd cost you more than a few silver, (and some nature checks to handle the thing, rather than it just running away at the first chance!), but if you want to get some use out of it rather than purely for flavour, there you go. :smallsmile:

Nosferocktu
2010-12-23, 10:16 PM
*In the most southern drawly accent eva* Why golly gee willikers!!! That sure helped me out, yes indeedy!!!

JK. But, seriously. I honestly think after doing some more research, I am definately contemplating druid from what you said Tiki. I would probably keep him as a pet instead of a summon, just for battling purposes. I am definatly contemplating bear druid. I always have played rouges, fighters, and other straight forward pc's. It would be nice to have a change of pace. Eh. I gotta say, this is the friendliest forum I have ever been on. People actually seem to give a damn about noobs, so far from what I have seen. Thank you.