PDA

View Full Version : Bowguns and Other Weapons [PEACH]

Strudel110
2010-12-23, 11:10 PM
Monster Hunter is one of my favorite game series, one of the best things about it is the customizable weapons, so I decided to make some rules for some Monster Hunter weapons like the bowgun.

A bowgun is a crossbow-like fire-arm that fires a variety of ammunition.
There are three different classes of bowgun, and each is dependent on the overall weight of the weapon.

Light bowguns weigh 29 lbs. or less. 1d6 dmg.

Medium weigh between thirty and seventy lbs. 1d8 dmg.

Heavy weigh upwards of seventy-one lbs. 1d10 dmg.

Bowguns are constructed of three parts FRAME, STOCK, and BARREL.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090914063657/monsterhunter/images/thumb/9/90/MH3-GunFrame.png/100px-MH3-GunFrame.pngFRAME:the main body of the bowgun, houses the firing mechanism and magazine.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090914063706/monsterhunter/images/thumb/b/bf/MH3-GunStock.png/100px-MH3-GunStock.pngSTOCK:the butt of the weapon, stabilizes whilst firing.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090914063644/monsterhunter/images/thumb/1/1d/MH3-GunBarrel.png/100px-MH3-GunBarrel.pngBARREL:the business end of the weapon, helps determine accuracy and may have a bayonet or shield.

these three parts determine the weight, accuracy, crit range, usable ammunition, and range.
In the next post I'll be listing generic versions of in-game parts so you can build your very own bowgun. Feel free to make price suggestions, amongst other advice.

Strudel110
2010-12-23, 11:11 PM
Basic range, and crit range for bowguns:100 ft., x2
Part: name of part.
Damage+: additional damage if any.
Critical+: Changes to crit range if any Keen effects from parts can stack (not magical!)
Range+: change in range if any.
Rapid: Shots that can be rapid fired if any. Rapid fired shot fire two bolts instead of one.
Weight: How much the part weighs.
Reload: Change in reload speed. 0= move action, +1= swift action, +2= Free action, -1 Full round action, -2= Full round -1 AC while reloading.
Ammo: Type of Ammo that can be loaded followed by a number determining how many of each can be loaded into your magazine. If an ammo type is listed as usable but there is no number following at least one shot can be loaded.
Shield:

Frames
{table=head] Part | Damage+ | Critical+ | Range+ | Rapid | Weight | Reload | Ammo
Light Frame|normal|N/a|-10 feet|Pellet Shot|10 lbs|+.5|Normal S 3, Pierce S 2, Pellet S 1, Sleep S 2, Poison S 2, Para S 2, Flaming S 1, Recover S 2
Medium Frame|normal|N/a|normal|n/a|25 lbs|0|Normal S 3, Pierce S 2, Pellet S 1, Sleep S 2, Poison S 2, Para S 2, Flaming S 1, Water S 1, Recover S 2
Heavy Frame|+1|x3|normal|n/a|30 lbs|-.5|Normal S 3, Pierce S 2, Pellet S 1, Sleep S 2, Poison S 2, Para S 2, Flaming S 1, Dragonfire S 1, Recover S 2
[/table]
Here is some starter frames working on barrels and stocks now.

Barrels
{table=head] Part | Damage+ | Critical+ | Range+ | Rapid | Weight | Shield | Ammo
Light Barrel|normal|N/a|normal|Normal S|10 lbs|N/a|Normal S 2, Pierce S 2, Pellet S , Crag S 1, Poison S 1, Para S
Medium Barrel|+1|N/a|+ 10 ft|Normal S|20 lbs|N/a|Normal S 3, Pierce S 3, Pellet S , Crag S 1, Poison S 1, Para S 1
Heavy Barrel|+1|N/a|+ 20 ft|n/a|25 lbs|Yes|Normal S 2, Pierce S 1, Pellet S 2, Crag S 1, Poison S 1, Para S 3
[/table]

Stocks
{table=head] Part | Damage+ | Critical+ | Weight | Reload | Ammo
Light Stock|normal|N/a|5 lbs|+.5|Normal S 1, Pierce S , Pellet S 2, Sleep S 1, Poison S 2, Para S 1, Recover S 1
Medium Stock|+1|N/a|10 lbs|+1|Normal S 1, Pierce S , Pellet S 1, Crag S , Sleep S 1,Recover S 1
Heavy Stock|+1|N/a|20 lbs|-.5|Normal S 2, Pierce S , Pellet S 1, Clust S 1, Sleep S 1, Recover S 1
[/table]

Light bowgun

Parts: Light frame, light stock, light barrel.
Damage: 1d6
Critical: x2
Range: 90 ft.
Rapid: Pellet S, Normal S
Weight: 25 lbs
Reload: +1 swift action
Ammo: Normal S 5, Pierce S 4, Pellet S 3, Sleep S 3, Poison S 5, Para S 3, Recover S 3, Crag S 1, Flaming S 1
Shield: no

Strudel110
2010-12-23, 11:13 PM
Ammunition here!

Normal S: Normal ammo
Pellet S: Hits all enemies in a 10 ft cone
Pierce S: +2 to hit on armored targets
Crag S: An explosive shell that detonates into a 10 ft explosion on impact. (+2d6 fire/force dmg 10 ft. radius)
Clust S: An explosive shell that fragments into three explosions on impact. (+1d6 fire/force dmg 20 ft. radius, hits three times)
Dragonfire S: fires a 20 ft. cone of explosive dragonfire (+1d6 fire/force dmg 20 ft. cone)
Recover S: Cures 1d8 dmg in a 30 ft. line.
Para S: Takes multiple hits to work. an enemy hit with 5 Para S must make fortitude save (DC 15) or be paralyzed 1d4 rounds. The duration is reduced by one round for each time a particular creature is effected in one encounter.
Poison S: Takes multiple hits to work. an enemy hit with 5 Poison S must make fortitude save (DC 15) or be poisoned for 1d4 rounds, taking 1d6 dmg a round.
Sleep S: Takes multiple hits to work. an enemy hit with 5 Sleep S must make will save (DC 15) or fall asleep for a minute. A creature can only be effected by Sleep S once in an encounter.
Flaming S: Flaming S deals fire dmg. (+1d4 fire damage)
Water S: used to put out fires from a distance. (splash)
Freeze S: Freeze S deals cold dmg. (+1d4 cold damage)
Thunder S: Thunder S deals electric dmg. (+1d4 electric damage)

Strudel110
2010-12-24, 07:50 PM
Other weapons possibly
Is anyone here a monster hunter fan, if so which weapons would you like statted the most? I was thinking hunting horn, longsword or switch-axe.

"a Small Barrel Bomb(+) explodes on an Initiative count 5 lower than the count on which it is placed. If this coincides with creatures' turn(s), each may take a standard action or a move action before it explodes. If they attempt a full-round action, it explodes half-way though this. For example, halfway through a full attack, interrupting a spell with a full-round action casting time or halfway along the movement of a run or charge action"

Small barrel bomb: a small explosive charge with a self-lighting fuse, just set it and forget it! 2d6 fire dmg 10ft. radius.[ingredients: small barrel, fire herb]

Small barrel bomb+: a small high-power explosive charge with a self-lighting fuse, just set it and forget it! 4d6 fire dmg 10ft. radius.[ingredients: small barrel bomb, gunpowder]

Barrel bomb L: A large explosive charge, you have to hit it to detonate it.5d6 fire/force dmg (half of the damage results from the force of the explosion, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or immunity) 20 ft. radius[ingredients: large barrel, gunpowder]

Barrel bomb L+: A large high-power explosive charge, you have to hit it to detonate it. 7d6 fire/force dmg (half of the damage results from the force of the explosion, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or immunity) 30 ft. radius [ingredients: Barrel bomb L, gunpowder, shrapnel]

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-24, 08:17 PM
I'm a Monster Hunter fan (Damned Vespoids! GTHO me! AHHHHH Rathian iregfho.......X_X), so could you try to stat up the Hunting Horn?

Nanoblack
2010-12-24, 10:50 PM
There's no reason to stat the hunting horn, 3.5 already has the bard. Truthfully, I'd like to see the hammer.

Admiral Squish
2010-12-24, 10:59 PM
I would demand to see a gunlance, but I think the Spear Spikard does that...

Bhu
2010-12-24, 11:13 PM
I must arm the kitties with these...

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-25, 06:58 AM
There's no reason to stat the hunting horn, 3.5 already has the bard. Truthfully, I'd like to see the hammer.

Nya! But it could give boni for Perfomance Checks and.......stuff. The Hammer is just various clubs with enchantments. However, I would like to see what could be done with the hammer.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-25, 11:32 AM
I would love to see a Gunlance, one of my favourite weapons of Monster Hunter F2 (particularly against Basarios. Set bomb next to resting beastie, activate Wyvern's Fire, laugh maniacally, start running or guarding because I spent too much time laughing and not enough time getting out of range of its charge).

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-25, 12:21 PM
Mmmm. Make sure you use 2 Large Barrel Bomb+'s and the best Gunlance you can get, fire, and guard. Scratch the HH, someone needs to make a Gunlance!

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-25, 12:33 PM
Mmmm. Make sure you use 2 Large Barrel Bomb+'s and the best Gunlance you can get, fire, and guard. Scratch the HH, someone needs to make a Gunlance!

Well, of course. And on that train of thought, we need Barrel Bomb stats, too! Got to love the look on something's face when you throw a rock at the barrel in front of them and they realise what it is. Kaboom, crispy fried wyvern, crunchy bits available in a twenty foot radius!

Also, to actually contribute, maybe change the Para and Sleep S to reduce the duration by one round for each time a particular creature is effected in one encounter, I'm fairly sure that was in the games. Spamming Para S or especially Sleep S could be... problematic, otherwise. Sure, most things don't last long enough to get in more than five, maybe six, shots, but anything that does can be easily paralyse-, or sleep-, locked, though the low save helps (particularly with anything that lasts long enough).

Strudel110
2010-12-26, 02:24 AM
Alright I'll start on the gunlance and the barrel bombs, I'll fix the para and sleep S as well.

Kurtmuran
2010-12-26, 12:48 PM
thanks for make this i really appraise your custom of the blowguns i need it for my dungeon

Strudel110
2010-12-27, 02:31 AM
thanks for make this i really appraise your custom of the blowguns i need it for my dungeon

Glad I could help!

Debihuman
2010-12-27, 04:46 AM
Just a quick question: What does the "S" indicate in the ammunition types? They all have it.

Debby

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-27, 05:01 AM
Just a quick question: What does the "S" indicate in the ammunition types? They all have it.

Debby

"Shot", AFAIK.

flabort
2010-12-27, 10:38 PM
I've gotten a (very :smallsigh:) short play of MH2P on a friend's system, and I own MHTri, and I must say, I've wanted to convert stuff to DnD stats too. Except I wanted to create the critters. Maybe as a fun project someone could make an "MH20". :smallwink:

Uhhh... If your going to make other weapons, I'd say the Gunlance, switchaxe, and possibly hunting horn are unique enough to make :smallwink:, and the Greatsword and hammer are just plain huge enough that any existing weapons like them are different enough that you could make them. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm. What you have...
You might want to clarify, besides "how many you can load", if the amounts stack, or if you can load X into one part, but not into one of the others, you can load it at all or not. :smallconfused:

I'm... I'll admit it, NOT a bow-gunner on the game. I've only a few minutes experience with a bow-gun, and That's when I was deciding on which weapon best suits me. I'm a hammerer. :smallamused:

So I can't really tell how much is wrong (if any) for the bowgun, compared to the games it comes from, really. Sorry, I can't help much. big wall of text, little help. :smallfrown: sorry.

Strudel110
2010-12-28, 01:35 AM

Debby

The "S" stands for shot. Consider yourself informed!
Bombs you wanted? you have them!

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-28, 11:28 AM
Bombs, right.

Needs clarification. I think better wording for "fire/force" as a damage type would be "half of the damage results from the force of the explosion, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or immunity", or something like that. Maybe "a creature must have resistance or immunity to both force and fire damage to reduce damage from a Large Barrel Bomb(+). For example if a creature has fire resistance 10, but no way to reduce force damage, they take full damage. If they have immunity to fire damage but only reduce force damage by 10, they only have the damage reduced by 10", but I advise the former.

What is "half a round" supposed to mean? That it blows up halfway between the end of one of your turns and the beginning of the next? That you can take a standard action or a move action before it explodes? I'd advise wording it as "a Small Barrel Bomb(+) explodes on an Initiative count 5(?) lower than the count on which it is placed. If this coincides with creatures' turn(s), each may take a standard action or a move action before it explodes. If they attempt a full-round action, it explodes half-way though this. For example, halfway through a full attack, interrupting a spell with a full-round action casting time or halfway along the movement of a run or charge action". Much clearer, if I do say so myself. Otherwise good.

Strudel110
2010-12-29, 01:37 AM
Bombs, right.

Needs clarification. I think better wording for "fire/force" as a damage type would be "half of the damage results from the force of the explosion, and is therefore not subject to fire resistance or immunity", or something like that. Maybe "a creature must have resistance or immunity to both force and fire damage to reduce damage from a Large Barrel Bomb(+). For example if a creature has fire resistance 10, but no way to reduce force damage, they take full damage. If they have immunity to fire damage but only reduce force damage by 10, they only have the damage reduced by 10", but I advise the former.

What is "half a round" supposed to mean? That it blows up halfway between the end of one of your turns and the beginning of the next? That you can take a standard action or a move action before it explodes? I'd advise wording it as "a Small Barrel Bomb(+) explodes on an Initiative count 5(?) lower than the count on which it is placed. If this coincides with creatures' turn(s), each may take a standard action or a move action before it explodes. If they attempt a full-round action, it explodes half-way though this. For example, halfway through a full attack, interrupting a spell with a full-round action casting time or halfway along the movement of a run or charge action". Much clearer, if I do say so myself. Otherwise good.

Fixed! I stole your descriptions, hope you don't mind.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-31, 06:07 PM
Fixed! I stole your descriptions, hope you don't mind.

Mind? That's what they're there for. It's not as if it costs me anything to write them, and I enjoy a good wording challenge.

Strudel110
2011-01-02, 12:00 AM
Gunlance
Shelling:
Wyvern's Fire:

{table=head]Weapon | Damage | Shelling Type| Criticals | Weight| Shell Damage
Iron Gunlance|1d8|Normal lv.1|x2|35lbs.| 1d6
[/table]
Gah too tired will finish later......