PDA

View Full Version : Sun School abuse

Dimers
2010-12-23, 11:16 PM
The tactical feat Sun School in CW is clearly intended for monks, but of course we all recognize that monk levels cannot possibly be the best way to take advantage of it. For example, an ardent with the Freedom mantle can use numerous tiny swift-action teleports per day, each one granting a free melee attack if she has the Sun School feat. How else can it be (ab)used by RAW?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-12-23, 11:21 PM
Shadow Pounce, assuming any teleportation effect works.

dextercorvia
2010-12-23, 11:22 PM
The tactical feat Sun School in CW is clearly intended for monks, but of course we all recognize that monk levels cannot possibly be the best way to take advantage of it. For example, an ardent with the Freedom mantle can use numerous tiny swift-action teleports per day, each one granting a free melee attack if she has the Sun School feat. How else can it be (ab)used by RAW?

Well you need Flurry to take it. Shou Disciple isn't a bad way to pick that up. Monk2 is acceptable. Totemist gets the blink shirt which gives Standard Action teleports (or move actions if bound to the Totem Chakra. Several Shadowhand maneuvers are teleportation effects, std, move, and swift, at IIRC Sw 2nd,4th, and 7th levels.

Anklets of Translocation, MIC.

Lans
2010-12-23, 11:37 PM
The conjurer variant wizard that gives an immediate action teleport.

Dimers
2010-12-23, 11:56 PM
All good suggestions so far ... any thoughts on how to use the other two-thirds of the feat, though? Easy ways to use an unarmed flurry when you shouldn't be able to, or ensure an unarmed stun in two consecutive rounds?

SurlySeraph
2010-12-24, 03:47 PM
You could use White Raven Hammer, a Sudden Stunning amulet of natural attacks, or others ways to stun other than Stunning Fist, since the wording doesn't say you have to use Stunning Fist. It's possibly to crank the DC of Stunning Fist up pretty high, but it isn't very cost-effective.

Inexorable Progress of Dawn isn't very useful; you can push the target back further if you get multiple full attacks, like from Shadow Pounce, but I doubt your DM will let you "teleport" to the same square you're already in to keep pushing the target in the same direction. If that's allowed, though, it's a nice battlefield control trick for Shadow Pounce Builds, and can allow pushing a target 15 feet per round plus 3 full attacks (swift, move, and standard action teleports) without much effort. (Or, rather, not much effort besides that already put into getting Shadow Pounce, those teleports, Flurry of Blows, and Sun School, which is of course a lot).

arguskos
2010-12-24, 04:25 PM
Semi-threadjack, spoilered for good measure.
I was reading Sun School cause of this thread, and my eye wandered over to its next door neighbor, the similarly unloved Raptor School. Hawk's Eye caught my glance, as did Flash of Sunset. I realized, I can combine these together. Gentlemen, I give you an unholy amalgamation of feats, class features, and skills that was never meant to be, I give you the Flaming Raptor Assassin!

Core Ingredients:
-Monk 2, ideally using the Sleeping Tiger variant for better feats.
-Scout 7 (could be other stuff, but Scout works nicely)
-Assassin 1
-Sun School and Raptor School (taken ASAP)

Secondary Ingredients:
-Iaijutsu Focus
-Able Learner
-Scrolls of Dimension Door
-The Blade of Blood spell

Method:
Ok, you should be able to shoehorn all this together by level 10 (use flaws, do what you have to do, it should be possible). The idea is as follows: the assassin watches his target from within DimDoor range for his death attack. He then watches for two rounds for Hawk's Eye. On this third round (the last one his death attack is legit for), he casts blade of blood, uses the scroll he's been holding for the last 6 rounds to teleport next to them (triggering both Skirmish, Hawk's Eye, Sneak Attack, and Flash of Sunset), makes an Iaijutsu Focus check (not sure if this is legal, if not, it can be dropped), and stabs them. The bonuses are pretty good, they probably take a large amount of pain if your weapon op is any decent, and they get to handle an unpleasant Death Attack (also op-able, but optional). Best part? On his next action, he tumbles away (drawing a scroll of DimDoor as per the draw while moving action) and DimDoors away to start it over again next round. :smallcool:

It's not amazing, but it's pretty fun, especially for using those two feats.

Dimers
2010-12-24, 04:46 PM
... my eye wandered over to its next door neighbor, the similarly unloved Raptor School ... Secondary Ingredients: Iaijutsu Focus ...

Yeah, those two seem to go together well. Best I've found outside of third-party for creating iaijutsu attacks when you want them.

Edit: Which is probably just because I've never read ToB :smallfrown: There must be something in ToB that'd be awesome for Iaijutsu Masters; I mean, if the book can fix unarmed combat mastery, iaijutsu is no problem at all.

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-24, 05:56 PM
Edit: Which is probably just because I've never read ToB :smallfrown: There must be something in ToB that'd be awesome for Iaijutsu Masters; I mean, if the book can fix unarmed combat mastery, iaijutsu is no problem at all.

I'm afb right now, but I think that there's at least one Diamond Mind strike that makes your target flat footed if you hit. Can probably be used with IF.