PDA

View Full Version : NPC creation

Naeo
2010-12-24, 02:04 AM
i'm in the grueling process of trying to create NPCs the players would most likely interact with (Tavern owners, Clerics at a temple, shopkeeps)

but i dont really know how to go about it, do i write em up like a normal PC? (what i have been doing...it's very very time consuming)

so i come to you, the playground in hopes some of you can enlighten me on easier ways to make NPCs, without making my eyes and wrist cry in agony :P

Loki Eremes
2010-12-24, 02:11 AM
well, i know two ways for making NPCs that will not be very important on your campaing.

1- just imagine their stats, and if they engage in combat, AR, hit points and only the necesary.

2- www.myth-weavers.com/generate_npc.php? (good tool for fast NPC creation)

i highly recommend the first one though. Think that they wont be too much time "on screen" so dont bother yourself writting down a sheet for them.

Hat-Trick
2010-12-24, 02:18 AM
This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19713850/The_Ten-Minute_Background--Post_your_characters!) might be something to think about. It would allow for more fleshed out characters, although an interest grabbing concept is still needed to start the process.

Naeo
2010-12-24, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the links, the random NPC generator will come in handy when i have to make up them up on the spot.

Grogmir
2010-12-24, 04:45 AM
I don't stat up everyone in my world - I do write out their name - motivations and a little Dm descriptor (i.e do I talk funny or close my hands etc).

I also have a stock of generic 'monsters' like Human Soldiers etc - these cover easierly any situation with guard types etc.

So individuals no, but a few easy back ups, yes.

Morquard
2010-12-24, 04:53 AM
Making a sheet surely is too much work for most of them.

If they're never meant to be fought in combat, or just way too low for the party anyway, you don't need many stats for them.
Say the party is level 10 and they come to a village, the average villager is level 1 or maybe 2. The get killed anyway most likely in the first attack.

For social interaction, they probably need skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive and maybe a few others. Temple folks would have Heal too, etc.
But even then you can just ad hoc that if it comes up, most level 1 NPCs won't have much higher skills than 5 or 6 in a few and the rest is neglectible. If it feels like a skill the NPC would reasonably have, us that, if not, use +0.

As for HP etc, if they party is closer to the level of the NPCs (say just level 2), then nothing really stops you from making up 1 set of NPC stats like AC, HP, safes, default spells memorised (for casters) etc and use them for all the generic NPCs. Adjust it slightly for their class. A wizard has less AC and HP, a soldier has more etc.

For named NPCs that are supposed to be around longer, or be main antagonists or something, you can make a sheet of course.

Naeo
2010-12-24, 05:24 AM
I just started jotting down basic info on npcs that i expect to see alot of time spent around throughout the campaign. saw it on the NPC generator, and liked the minimalistic approach it had to it. takes about a whole.. 5 lines on a sheet of paper.

even the major NPCs wont really see battle, so i dont see myself writting a full sheet for them, maybe a half one with a weapon and armor, just incase the party decides to kill someone in the city.

Morquard
2010-12-24, 05:43 AM
even the major NPCs wont really see battle, so i dont see myself writting a full sheet for them, maybe a half one with a weapon and armor, just incase the party decides to kill someone in the city.

Even when they see battle, it's usually not important enough to make an entire sheet for it.
AC, HP, BAB, saves and a few other stats are usually enough.
You don't even really need Str, Dex etc.

Does it matter because his AC is 17 because of his armor, or his dex or what mix they are?
Does it matter why he has a +8 to attack, if it is because of his strength, the BAB of his class, or the bonus on his weapon?
Nope not really. He got +8 to attack and AC 17, that's what is important. If the PCs sunder or disarm his MW sword, well just reduce it to +7. If the debuff his strength by 4, just reduce the BAB by 2.

FelixG
2010-12-24, 06:04 AM
For a lot of NPCs, I just make a "general humanoid" character then change some bonuses around depending on the type of character it is and it levels up with the player

MickJay
2010-12-24, 08:44 AM
You can prepare half a dozen of highly simplified standard templates for all NPC classes, and possibly for a few professions that will come up often, give them BAB, AC, modifiers (if any), average hp, and that's it. Assume they have some skills relevant to their profession, and you can simply adjust the numbers on your templates if the NPC is unusual for some reason (master blacksmith, wealthy innkeeper, mayor, etc). It's only really worth statting up important NPCs.