PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas!

Asta Kask
2010-12-24, 02:14 AM
And since I'm Swedish, I get to open my presents today!

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 02:26 AM
i hate you:smalltongue:

it's only christmas eve day morning here

Lady Moreta
2010-12-24, 02:36 AM
It's Christmas Eve afternoon here and I wanna go home!!!

Senior admin even said I can, except I can't because I'm stuck waiting for a guy to finish burning a CD that needs to be couriered to a client... Waaaaa :smallfrown:

Asta Kask
2010-12-24, 02:49 AM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbzuzSbCyfQ) a nice song to carry you over.

factotum
2010-12-24, 02:52 AM
i hate you:smalltongue:

it's only christmas eve day morning here

It's only Christmas Eve for Asta Kask as well--Swedes open their presents on Christmas Eve, though.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 02:54 AM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbzuzSbCyfQ) a nice song to carry you over.

all is forgiven:smallsmile:

*walks away humming song*

It's only Christmas Eve for Asta Kask as well--Swedes open their presents on Christmas Eve, though.

international time confuse aocado:smallfrown:

KuReshtin
2010-12-24, 04:58 AM
Even if the tradition in the UK is to open presents on Christmas Day, I decided that since I'm swedish I'd open my presents on Christmas Eve as is traditional in Sweden.

So I did that at 2:20am this morning, just before I went to bed. :smallbiggrin:

Amiel
2010-12-24, 05:08 AM
Merry Christmas...Eve, all! :smallsmile:
It's a little after 9 pm in the rather boring city of Melbourne; it's a fine and balmy night however, so I'm planning on hitting the town with some friends. We'll probably loiter at the beach.
If we're feeling particularly brave, we'll probably go for a dip as well.

Croverus
2010-12-24, 05:12 AM
Happy holidays to all of you. I celebrated Hannukah the beginning of this mnth so I'll be busy designing a TRON homebrew for the 4e setting. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and I'll wait to enjoy New Year's eve with everyone.

CWater
2010-12-24, 05:49 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!!:smallsmile: I'll be getting presents on the Eve too:smallbiggrin: It's little after noon around here.

Skeppio
2010-12-24, 05:52 AM
Merry Christmas to you all! :smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2010-12-24, 05:54 AM
Christmas sucks. That is all. :smallfrown:

Lady Moreta
2010-12-24, 05:57 AM
Christmas sucks. That is all. :smallfrown:

Awwww, that doesn't sound good *hugs*

I have just finished making both the Peppermint Bark and Ambrosia (with much help from Peregrine) for tomorrow :smallsmile: There's a lot of ambrosia, we'll be eating it for weeks... :smalleek:

Now I am for the shower and then I shall ensonce myself in the recliner for the traditional watching of White Christmas :smallbiggrin:

Amiel
2010-12-24, 05:57 AM
Here's something I prepared earlier;
._/\_ ……....._/\_
…) . (_ .. ..._) . (
…..) .(.…....) .(`.
……. )_\ _ _/_(
… …...( •)(• )
...…….. / |`\
………..( :@: )
……… ....✰✰

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-24, 06:06 AM
Woohoo! Another Swede right here, I'm gonna open my presents along with the rest of the family in about two or three hours :smallbiggrin:
Merry christmas to those of you that celebrate it, to the rest; Happy holidays!

http://www.fotohallberg.se/images/Fjallgard-vinter.jpg

KuReshtin
2010-12-24, 06:32 AM
I wish I had a DVD with the traditional 'Kalle Anka' show that they show on Swedish TV every year.
An hour of Disney clips, including stuff like the scene from Robin Hood where they rob Prince John and rescue the villagers, the scene from Cinderella where the mice prepare the ball dress, the party scene from Snow White, when they sing and dance in the cottage and the scene from Lady and the Tramp where they go to the Italian restaurant for the first time and share a plate of 'Pasta Speciale' while being serenaded by the owner and the cook.

Not to mention Donald Duck's photo safari, where he's in the jungle trying to get pictures of rare birds and gets foiled by a silly bird all the time. :smallbiggrin:

They also usually have a clip from the latest animated Disney movie at the end, as well as Giminy Cricket singing 'Silent Night'.

At least I got 'Trolltyg i Tomteskogen' as a birthday present from my sister, so i can watch that tomorrow. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Commander
2010-12-24, 06:35 AM
Merry Christmas all! And to all a good night!

Burnheart
2010-12-24, 06:50 AM
Merry Christmas:smallbiggrin: stupid cold ruining my christmas:smallmad:

Blue Bandit
2010-12-24, 07:04 AM
Merry Christmas:smallbiggrin: stupid cold ruining my christmas:smallmad:

You should move to Texas, yesterday was 70 degrees:smallcool:

Merry Christmas yall:smallbiggrin:

Evil DM Mark3
2010-12-24, 07:14 AM
Tis the season to eat holly!
Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, OW!

Teddy
2010-12-24, 07:28 AM
Merry Christmas, fellow northeners. Merry Christmas to those who live in time zone +11 as well.

Woohoo! Another Swede right here, I'm gonna open my presents along with the rest of the family in about two or three hours :smallbiggrin:
Merry christmas to those of you that celebrate it, to the rest; Happy holidays!

*idyllic snowy picture*

Aww, now I'll have to take a picture of the old farm that I'm staying at right now. It's very idyllic, although a bit cold (ca -25 C right now, below -30 in the night and the house is poorly isolated and lost its power (and thus it's main heating - we have tile stoves as well) for at least three hours, probably more).

Areswargod139
2010-12-24, 07:32 AM
Merry Fishmas! Obscure Simpsons references FTW!

ScIaDrd
2010-12-24, 07:41 AM
Merry Christmas people! I get to open my presents today... go us Europeans! My present are gonna be awesome because my mom had no idea what books to buy, and let me pick them myself.:smallamused:
Also, because some relatives paid a visit I got me some early presents this awesome book about neurology and the biology of the brain,Sweet!
And here it unusually warm (10°C ) and nice weather, too.
And to top it off I have holidays from this Wednesday to the second of January, so awesomeness!
Happiness, frolicking, and joy to all!

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-24, 07:46 AM
At least I got 'Trolltyg i Tomteskogen' as a birthday present from my sister, so i can watch that tomorrow. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My brother and his son is watching 'Trolltyg' right now, awesome movie :smallsmile:

Aww, now I'll have to take a picture of the old farm that I'm staying at right now. It's very idyllic, although a bit cold (ca -25 C right now, below -30 in the night and the house is poorly isolated and lost its power (and thus it's main heating - we have tile stoves as well) for at least three hours, probably more).

Yea, it's surprisingly cold here as well, normally we don't get temperatures this low (below 30 almost all the time) until the middle of January. Oh well, at least we have electricity, so I won't complain.
I'm looking forward to that picture!

Teddy
2010-12-24, 08:10 AM
My brother and his son is watching 'Trolltyg' right now, awesome movie :smallsmile:

*turns on television*

Wha? What is this? Why have I never seen this before? *sniff* :smallfrown:

However, they continued by airing an old program fromthe castle of Haga, where our current kingis but a toddler. So cuuuute... :smallredface:

Yea, it's surprisingly cold here as well, normally we don't get temperatures this low (below 30 almost all the time) until the middle of January. Oh well, at least we have electricity, so I won't complain.
I'm looking forward to that picture!

Meh, now that the power has been back for a few hours and the brick stoves burning as well, half of the house is almost inhabitable by now.

And now I'll really have to take those pictures...

Mx.Silver
2010-12-24, 08:38 AM
Pleasant soltice-period festivities to one and all.

Argh! It's in my eyes! My eyes!

Dr.Epic
2010-12-24, 08:46 AM
Christmas? I celebrate Zodmas. KNEEL!

KuReshtin
2010-12-24, 08:46 AM
*turns on television*

Wha? What is this? Why have I never seen this before? *sniff* :smallfrown:

What? You've never watched 'Trolltyg'? It's a classic. Same as 'Kalle Anka', 'Carl-Bertil Jonssons Jul' and 'Ivanhoe' on New Years Day.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-12-24, 09:05 AM
Compliments of the season to you all. May the yuletide log slip from your fire and burn your house down. Merry Christmas!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-24, 09:58 AM
Hey no fair, here in Mexico it is just 8:53 AM and8 won't be opening my presents till 00:00 ....

Meh I'll wait, merry christmas to all :smalltongue:

Teddy
2010-12-24, 10:38 AM
What? You've never watched 'Trolltyg'? It's a classic. Same as 'Kalle Anka', 'Carl-Bertil Jonssons Jul' and 'Ivanhoe' on New Years Day.

Guess why I was so surprised myself. I should had known of it. Also, I missed the first quarter of Kalle Anka as well, as I was eating our Christmas lunch, which is us inverting the order of Christmas meals (we'll have rice pudding for dinner).

Now, the tree is decorated, the presents in place and the toffee is as good as ever. Ahhh...

Also, Merry Christmas day to everyone who live in the time zones down to +7,5!

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-24, 10:44 AM

Not obscure enough I'm afraid.

Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year Playground.

Or happy holidays. Whatever keeps me from getting sued.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-24, 10:52 AM
Today we're finishing up the holiday baking and wrapping gifts to prepare for tomorrow. Es Weihnachtet sehr! Happy holidays everyone!

DwarvenExodus
2010-12-24, 11:00 AM
Merry Christmas all!
Wow, that was a boring post. Damn. I'll need to make up for it somehow; hmm... *evilgrin*

AshDesert
2010-12-24, 11:02 AM
Despite the fact that it's only Christmas Eve, we're still opening our presents today. Our family tradition is to wake up between 4 AM and about 1 PM on Christmas Eve (depending on the person), have a big lunch with ham, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, all sorts of things. Then we go to church for Christmas Eve service at 6:30. When we get home we open presents.

On Christmas Day we go to my youngest uncle's house, and we have a big lunch (this year is a 15 lb prime rib and a pork loin that he's smoking) with one of my other uncles, my aunt, and my cousin and exchange gifts with them. I get to open presents twice for Christmas:smallbiggrin:!

TheCountAlucard
2010-12-24, 11:06 AM
Happy Decemberwe'en, everybody! :smalltongue:

Why? Because more holidays need to end in "we'en." :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-24, 11:09 AM
Well, today is Christmase'en. :smalltongue:

Tobimaro
2010-12-24, 11:09 AM
Merry Christmas to one and all. And hopefully Krampus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus) will not be leaving you any coal in your stockings. :smallwink:

Oh, and no drinking and sleigh driving. Got it? :smallcool:

Killer Angel
2010-12-24, 11:21 AM
Merry Christmas, and thanks for all the fish! :smallsmile:

Ranger Mattos
2010-12-24, 11:48 AM
Merry Christmas (Eve for some people, like me) to all! I get to open half my presents today!

KuReshtin
2010-12-24, 01:53 PM
As mentioned before by the Swedes in the thread, the Disney cartoons are a tradition that have been going on since probably the 70s, or maybe even 60s.
Every Christmas Eve at 3PM, a lot of people stop what they're doing and gather in front of the TV to watch these cartoons.

Every year, they always start off with this cartoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm_HUhHKWC0), to give people some insight in how Santa's workshop works.
This is followed by Donald Duck's adventures in the jungle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rBeoOiV1c), playing wildlife photographer.
A lot of people, myself included, find it difficult not to hum/whistle/sing along.

My favourite part has always been the chess boards.:smallbiggrin:

Trog
2010-12-24, 01:54 PM
A very merry Christmas to you all. :smallsmile:

ExtravagantEvil
2010-12-24, 02:32 PM
Merry Chrisquanzukkahstice to All in the Playground! :smallbiggrin:.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 03:54 PM
so the cider is poured and miracle on 34th street is on the tv. 'tis a good way to start chrimma eve

Snares
2010-12-24, 04:02 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1334.snc4/162663_473452422049_686347049_6493861_1249558_n.jp g

Have a wonderful (and possibly djentastic) Christmas. :smallcool:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 04:09 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1334.snc4/162663_473452422049_686347049_6493861_1249558_n.jp g

Have a wonderful (and possibly djentastic) Christmas. :smallcool:

what is djent?

Snares
2010-12-24, 04:20 PM
what is djent?

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE) is a fairly good example.

It's basically an onomatopoeic word for that kind of heavy rhythm guitar tone that evolved into a sort of genre.

Lord Herman
2010-12-24, 04:38 PM
Merry Christmas, GiantITP! :smallsmile:

Strawberries
2010-12-24, 05:38 PM
It's almost midnight here in Italy.
Merry Christmas people, and thanks for being so awesome. You rock!

TheThan
2010-12-24, 05:46 PM
Have a Very merry Christmas to everyone. Hope your days will be merry and bright!

Cicciograna
2010-12-24, 05:58 PM
Buon Natale!

Merry Christmas!

Zigg'rrauglurr
2010-12-24, 06:07 PM
FELIZ NAVIDAD Y PROSPERO AΡO NUEVO!!!

It's only 8PM in Argentina, wrapping some of the gifts even now...
Oh, we open them right at 12 PM so :smalltongue:

Also it's 31Ί Celcius (87Ί Fahrenheit) here so we are almost melted right now!

Eiko
2010-12-24, 07:08 PM
Merry official forum time christmas!

Worlok
2010-12-24, 07:14 PM
FELIZ NAVIDAD Y PROSPERO AΡO NUEVO!!!
With this in mind: Frφhliche Weihnachten und ein gutes neues Jahr, alle zusammen. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2010-12-24, 07:23 PM
Merry Christmas!

I survived a five hour drive (mostly traffic jam on the highway, some people still don't now how to drive in a little light snow and no frozen roads at all) to pick up my grandmother. Otherwise, it was nice. Good dinner to make up for the long drive.

And since apparently we are all talking our own languages here...
Froi Wiehnacht. (With a long chchch in the last syllable :smalltongue: Every German who has ever met a Swiss person will know what I mean)

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-24, 07:32 PM
Damnyou, Sweden. :smallfrown:

Nomrom
2010-12-24, 07:33 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm currently in Italy so it's been Christmas for about an hour and a half now. Still won't be Christmas back home in Texas for a few more hours.

Mr. Moon
2010-12-24, 07:43 PM
This morning I got my final Christmas present done, and I'm spending the rest of the day listening to Christmas music and enjoying good company. :smallsmile:

Going to have to get up super early for Christmas morning. Mum has to leave for work early. =c

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-24, 07:53 PM
First hour of christmas almost over here in the UK- just need to turn in fairly soon, I'm on tech duty for the church service tomorrow morning.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 07:58 PM
hey! it's precipitatin' in texas:smallsmile:
unfortunately the precipitashun is rain and it's only 37F:smallsigh:i was hoping for snow, but freezing rain is ok

Seabody
2010-12-24, 08:07 PM
Merry Christmas, Playground!

Eadin
2010-12-24, 08:30 PM
Merry Christmas everyone!:smallbiggrin:

Raz_Fox
2010-12-24, 10:03 PM
God rest ye merry, playgrounders
Let nothing you dismay;
Remember Roland the Moderator
Is vigilant this day
To save us all from Trolling's power
When we were gone astray
O, tidings of comfort and joy
Comfort and joy

Now to the Giant sing praises
All you within this place
And with true love and brotherhood
Each other now embrace
This holy tide of Christmas
All others doth deface
Comfort and joy

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 10:07 PM
Let nothing you dismay;
Is vigilant this day
When we were gone astray
Comfort and joy

Each other now embrace
All others doth deface
Comfort and joy

someone give this man an internet

Fiery Diamond
2010-12-24, 10:17 PM
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

It's 2 hours from midnight here. Almost Christmas!

*hugs the playground with festive holiday cheer*

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 10:25 PM
3 hours in texas

*tapes mistletoe to the ceiling*

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-24, 11:01 PM
Just got back from church. Deciding whether or not to stay up for a while longer or go to bed and sleep while I wait. 1 hour til Christmas.

Wandiya
2010-12-24, 11:03 PM
Merry Christmas from Australia! It's been raining here for about 2 days straight. :smallannoyed:
The circle is where my house is.
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/547/weatherl.jpg (http://img547.imageshack.us/i/weatherl.jpg/)
Note, just because the picture is 4 years old doesn't mean thats what it looks like now.

fimzo
2010-12-24, 11:34 PM
An hour and a half until Christmas here. Merry Christmas to everyone two or more time zones east of me!

John Cribati
2010-12-24, 11:35 PM
I'm not getting presents anyway.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 11:37 PM
I'm not getting presents anyway.

:smallfrown:

why is this?

Lady Moreta
2010-12-24, 11:44 PM
It's Christmas Day here... my sister gave us Star Wars cookie cutters :smallbiggrin:

I have Yoda, Darth Vader, Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper :smallbiggrin: My sister is awesome :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

John Cribati
2010-12-24, 11:45 PM
:smallfrown:

why is this?

'Cause I've been a naughty, naughty boy :smallamused: We really need a "seduction" smiley.

Or because I'm so hard to buy stuff for.

Or because all money went toward diamond rings for my parents' 20th anniversary.

In any case, I just got a wad of cash from various relatives so far.

AshDesert
2010-12-24, 11:47 PM
unfortunately the precipitashun is rain and it's only 37F:smallsigh:i was hoping for snow, but freezing rain is ok

Eh, we got a white Christmas last year. In the south you take what you can get (like the time it snowed on Easter:smallconfused:).

Also, I love being in a half-Swedish (my dad's side is entirely Swedish) family here in Freedomland. I get to rub it in all my friends at church's faces that I get presents when we get home instead of waiting for the morning:smallbiggrin:!

I got all kinds of neat things, mostly Texas A&M related since I'm heading off there next year. I used to think anyone who would wear a Snuggie was stupid. But, I just got one, and they are insanely comfy. They still look stupid though

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-24, 11:51 PM
'Cause I've been a naughty, naughty boy :smallamused: We really need a "seduction" smiley.

Or because I'm so hard to buy stuff for.

Or because all money went toward diamond rings for my parents' 20th anniversary.

In any case, I just got a wad of cash from various relatives so far.

cash good
diamond ring good

fimzo
2010-12-24, 11:52 PM
Eh, we got a white Christmas last year. In the south you take what you can get (like the time it snowed on Easter:smallconfused:).

Also, I love being in a half-Swedish (my dad's side is entirely Swedish) family here in Freedomland. I get to rub it in all my friends at church's faces that I get presents when we get home instead of waiting for the morning:smallbiggrin:!

I got all kinds of neat things, mostly Texas A&M related since I'm heading off there next year. I used to think anyone who would wear a Snuggie was stupid. But, I just got one, and they are insanely comfy. They still look stupid though

I'm in northern Michigan right now, with huge piles of snow.

Buying a Snuggie is pointless, since you could just cut holes in a blanket. But they are comfy, and if you don't want to cut a blanket up or if you want sleeves, they can be okay.

Zigg'rrauglurr
2010-12-25, 12:08 AM
2 hours into christmas. Everyone got great presents. We ate and drank quite a bit. We are going to bed now, cause we are really tired after a very long day and we dont have any partying neighbourgh we could crash.

Anyway, Merry xmas from Argentina! (from my dad, my fiancee and my cat)

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-25, 12:27 AM
I'm in northern Michigan right now, with huge piles of snow.

Buying a Snuggie is pointless, since you could just cut holes in a blanket. But they are comfy, and if you don't want to cut a blanket up or if you want sleeves, they can be okay.

no you can't just cut holes in a blanket, then your arms will get cold

Mr. Moon
2010-12-25, 12:35 AM
Remember, everyone, don't stay up late or else Santa won't come. :smalleek:

Merry Christmas, all. I love you guys. =3

Erts
2010-12-25, 12:36 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! Have a happy morning and day.

AshDesert
2010-12-25, 01:00 AM
It is now officially Christmas Day in the US Central Time Zone. Happy Birthday Jesus! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdytWbl9sh8) There will be a magic show at 0930... Best war movie ever

Inhuman Bot
2010-12-25, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=Herpestidae;10036692]We really need a "seduction" smiley.
/QUOTE]

You could just find an image, upload it and use the IMG tag to make it, but http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/777/emoteffort.gif
:smalltongue:

Xyk
2010-12-25, 01:18 AM

Yeah, man. We had a drought for what I think was over a month and a half, so rain is probably good, if unpleasant. Where in Texas are you, by the way?

Oh! And Merry Christmas/Krismas to all!

Eruantion
2010-12-25, 01:55 AM
Let nothing you dismay;
Is vigilant this day
When we were gone astray
Comfort and joy

Each other now embrace
All others doth deface
Comfort and joy

someone give this man an internet

*gives Raz an internet* I hope we don't need to be certified to give those out.

Trog
2010-12-25, 02:07 AM
Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
I went room by room, each light to douse
No chimney I had so what did I care
I'm sure that such houses must make St. Nicholas swear.
The children were sleeping, finally, in their beds,
With visions of toy piles filling their heads.
I secured all the locks and couldn't wait for the crap
That the fat man would bring as I was taking a nap.
When up on the roof there came angry chatter
I tried to make it out but caught only a smatter
of stomping and swearing with teeth all a-gnash:
"Fer crying out loud I hate these white trash!
It's bad enough I have to work in the snow
At night and on rooftops while the cold wind does blow
And do a job in one day what should take a year
And have to put up with these mutant reindeer,
But these stops with no chimneys just make me sick."
I never realized Santa was such a rude prick
"Well let me just check the list and the name"
There was silence a moment then I heard him exclaim:
"Ah crap they're on the nice list with no way to nix it
I have to deliver here - but first we must fix it
We're just going to have to cut a hole in this wall
I have just the thing" and fired up his Sawzall.
My jaw dropped wide open and I listened with wide eyes
As Santa cut a hole in the house just his size.
And in the midst of this hullabaloo
I sort of half wished that I was a jew
And that this Santa guy would disappear in a poof
instead of his reindeer crapping up on my roof.
And hacking and sawing part of the wall down
He was nearly through when he began to pound
And to cuss and to grunt and to kick with his foot
til he finally broke through all covered in soot.
He stumbled inside, nearly dropping his sack
as he looked for the tree, turning the carpeting black.
I always heard he was cute and really quite merry
But this power tool wielding psycho was dirty and hairy.
He cursed and he swore - I heard not a "ho ho"
As he looked through his pack for presents to bestow
For treats to hand over, and stuff to bequeath
when he stopped in mid job, gritting his teeth
I leapt out of hiding and poked at his belly
"You know the stories never tell that you're really quite smelly"
I said feeling smug and proud of myself
for finally having caught a glimpse of the elf.
But I stood my ground and angrily said:
"Fix the hole you just made or buddy you're dead."
"I'm way too damn busy with Christmas time work.
So fix it yourself, ya chimneyless jerk."
And just when he gets finished thumbing his nose
he leaps to the wall and out the hole he goes
And I wished I had asked for a ballistic missle
as off his sleigh flew like the down of a thistle
He flipped me off as he drove out into the night
My house destroyed, present-less, and him in my gun sight.

by Trog

Serpentine
2010-12-25, 02:14 AM
'Twas the night before Solstice
by James Finn Garner
Twas the night before solstice and all through the co-op
Not a creature was messing the calm status quo up.

the children were nestled all snug in their beds,
Dreaming of lentils and warm whole-grain breads.

We'd welcomed the winter that day after school
By dancing and drumming and burning the Yule,

A more meaningful gesture to honor the planet
Than buying more trinkets for Mom or Aunt Janet,

Or choosing a tree just to murder and stump it
And dress it all up like a seasonal strumpet.

My lifemate and I, having turned down the heat,
Slipped under the covers for a well-deserved sleep,

When from out on the lawn there came such a roar
I fell from my futon and rolled to the floor.

I crawled to the window and pulled back the latch,
And muttered, "Aw, where is that Neighborhood Watch?"

I saw there below through the murk of the night
A sleigh and eight reindeer of nonstandard height.

At the reins of that sleigh sat a mean-hearted knave
Who treated each deer like his persunal slave.

I'd seen him before in some ads for car loans,
Plus fast food and soft drinks and cellular phones.

He must have cashed in from his mercantile chores,
Since self-satisfaction just oozed from his pores.

He called each by name, as if he were right
To treat them like humans, entrenching his might:

"Now Donder, now Blitzen," and other such aliases,
Showing his true Eurocentrical biases.

With a snap of his fingers away they all flew,
Like lumberjacks served up a plate of tofu.

Up to the rooftop they carried the sleigh
(The holes in the shingles are there to this day).

Out bounded the man, who sent straight to the flue.
I knew in an instant just what I should do.

After donning my slippers, downstairs did I dash
to see this trespasser emerge from the ash.

His clothes were all covered with soot, but of course,
>From our wood-fueled alternative energy source.

Through the grime I distinguished the make of his duds--
He was dressed all in fur, fairly dripping with blood.

"We're a cruelty-free house!" I proclaimed with such heat
He was startled and tripped on the logs at his feet.

He stood back up dazed, but with mirth in his eyes.
It was then that I noticed his unhealthy size.

He was almost as wide as when standing erect,
A lover of fatty fried foods, I suspect.

But that wasn't all to make sane persuns choke:
In his teeth sat a pipe that was belching out smoke!

I could scarcely believe what invaded our house.
This carcinogenic and overweight louse

Was so red in the face from his energy spent,
I expected a heart attack right there and then.

Behind him he toted a red velvet bag
Full to exploding with sinister swag.

He asked, "Where is your tree?" with a face somewhat long.
I said, "Out in the yard, which is where it belongs."

"But where will I put all the presents I've brought?"
I looked at him squarely and said, "Take the lot

"To some frivolous people who think that they need
to succumb to the sickness of commerce and greed,

"Whose only joy comes from he act of consuming,
Thus sending the stock of the retailers booming."

He blinked and said, "Ho, ho, ho! But you're kidding."
I gave him a stare that was stern and forbidding.

"Surely children need something with which to have fun?
It's like childhood's over before it's begun."

He looked in my eyes for some sign of assent,
But I strengthened my will and refused to relent.

"They have plenty of fun," I cut to the gist,
"And your mindless distractions have never been missed.

"They take CPR so that they can save lives,
And go door-to-door for the used clothing drives.

"They recycle, renew, reuse--and reveal
For saving the planet a laudable zeal.

"When they padlock themselves to a fence to protest
Against nuclear power, we think they're the best."

He said, "But they're children--lo, when do they play?"
I countered, "Is that why you've driven your sleigh,

"To bring joy to the hearts of each child and tot?
All right, open your bag; let's see what you've got."

He sheepishly did as I'd asked and behold!
A Malibu Barbie in a skirt made of gold.

"You think that my girls will like playing with this,
An icon of sexist, consumerist kitsch?

"With it's unnatural figure and airheaded grin,
This trollop make every girl yearn to be thin,

" And take up fad diets and binging and purging
Instead of respecting her own body's urging

"To welcome the shape that her body has found
And rejoice to be lanky, short, skinny, or round."

Deep in his satchel he searched for a toy,
Saying, "This is a hit with most little boys."

And what did he put in my trembling hand
But a gun from the BrainBlaster Power Command!

"It's a 'hit,' to be sure," I sneered in his face,
"And a plague to infect the whole human race!

"How 'bout grenades or some working bazookas
To turn all of our kids into half-wit palookas?"

I seized on his bag just to see for myself
The filth being spread by this odious elf.

An Easy-Bake Oven--ah, goddess, what perfidy!
To hoodwink young girls into household captivity!

Plus an archer play set with shafts that fly out,
The very thing needed to put your eye out.

And toy metal tractors, steam shovels, and cranes
For tearing down woodlands and scarring the plains,

Plus "games" like Monopoly, Pay Day, Tycoon,
As if lessons in greed can't start up too soon.

And even more weapons from BrainBlastersCo.,
Like cannons and nunchucks and ray guns that glow.

That's all I could find in his red velvet sack--
Perverseness and mayhem to set us all back.

(But I did find one book that caused me to ponder--
Some fine bedtime tales by a fellow named Garner.)

"We need none of this," I announced in a huff,
"No 'business-as-usual' holiday stuff.

"We sow in our offspring more virtue than this.
Your 'toys' offer some things they never will miss."

The big man's expression was a trifle bereaved
As he shouldered his pack and got ready to leave.

"I pity the kids who grow up around here,
Who're never permitted to be of good cheer,

"Who aren't allowed leisure for leisure's own sake,
But must fret every minute--it makes my heart break!"

"Enough histrionics! Don't pity our kids
If they don't do as Macy's or Toys 'R' Us bids.

"They live by their principles first and foremost
And know what's important," to him did I boast.

"Pray, could I meet them" "Oh no, they're not here.
They're up on the roof, liberating your deer!"

Then Santa Claus sputtered and pointed his finger
But, mad as he was, he had no time to linger.

He flew up the chimney like smoke from a fire,
And up on the roof I heard voices get higher.

I ran outside the co-op to see him react
To my children's responsible, kindhearted act.

He chased them away, and disheartened , dismayed,
He rehitched his reindeer (who'd docilely stayed).

I watched with delight as he scooted off then.
He'd be too embarrassed to come back again.

But with parting disdain, do you know what he said,
When this overweight huckster took off in his sled?

This reindeer enslaver, this exploiter of elves?
"Happy Christmas to all, but get over yourselves!!"

Octopus Jack
2010-12-25, 05:06 AM
Merry Christmas to all, may your relatives buy you large embarrasing socks. :smallwink:

Nomrom
2010-12-25, 05:15 AM

Glad to know it won't snow in Texas while I'm away, since it looks like we aren't getting any snow here in Milan.

Also, Whoop! for another Aggie!

Amiel
2010-12-25, 05:28 AM
Santa Claus didn't visit me this year :smallfrown:
For I am Santa

Form
2010-12-25, 05:56 AM
Now initiating phase 2 of operation "Stealing Christmas".

I mean, merry Christmas everyone! :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-25, 06:08 AM
It's Christmas here (and has been for over 6 hours). Of course I celebrate Zodmas so it doesn't really matter. KNEEL!

Androgeus
2010-12-25, 06:36 AM
Merry Todaymas

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-25, 08:50 AM
Yaaaay, 7:50 Christmas morning. I get to see my cousin and aunt. :smallsmile:

Halna LeGavilk
2010-12-25, 09:52 AM
Merry Azathothmas. May we all not be destroyed. :smallwink:

TheCountAlucard
2010-12-25, 10:25 AM
Or rather, may we be destroyed first. :smalltongue:

All alone on Christmas, with no presents. :smallfrown:

Why? Because my sister's coming up tomorrow, and that's when we're gonna do stuff! :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-25, 11:08 AM
Merry Christmas y'all!
Is this where we discuss loot? I got:

All 3 Toy Story movies in a 12 disk set, each movie + a special features disk on DVD, Blue Ray and digital copy
Pokemon Heart Gold
A flip video camera (with a bee on it!)
Fingerless gloves that can become mittens
A lovely sweater (green, not red)
A scrabble-puzzle-a-day desk calendar
Other small things
And I still have 3 more presents to receive from my aunts and uncles this evening.

Lateral
2010-12-25, 11:14 AM
Woo! Happy holidays, to everyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, and Merry Christmas to everyone else!

I got absolutely nothing for Christmas, but I wasn't expecting anything anyway, so who cares? Sucks that the library's closed today, but oh well.

Trog
2010-12-25, 11:20 AM
The best part of Christmas is watching the joy of children. Best present ever, as always. :smallbiggrin: <3

Androgeus
2010-12-25, 11:37 AM
I forgot to say in my last post, check this site if you are unsure about it being christmas -> www.isitchristmas.co.uk

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-25, 11:48 AM
Merry Christmas (or whatever December holiday you happen to celebrate)!

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-25, 12:07 PM
Yeah, man. We had a drought for what I think was over a month and a half, so rain is probably good, if unpleasant. Where in Texas are you, by the way?

Oh! And Merry Christmas/Krismas to all!

Texarkana, northeast corner.

i got a snuggie, a hogwarts blanket, a slytherin hoodie, the lord of the rings trilogy and the star wars prequel trilogy.

Inhuman Bot
2010-12-25, 12:09 PM
So to the surprise of me, Christmas turned out pretty decently for once.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Tobimaro
2010-12-25, 01:52 PM
Well, I hope that everybody has a Merry Christmas. My family will be exchanging gifts within a couple of weeks, as a couple of my in-laws do not get any vacation time during the holiday season. I did get a gift certificate for Amazon, and a couple of small items from co-workers.

We did get a couple of inches of snow on Christmas Eve. Not that I needed any more snow to shovel... :smallyuk:

Eon
2010-12-25, 02:02 PM
Merry Christmas. I hope you all had/have a great day. :smallsmile:

Lillith
2010-12-25, 02:51 PM
I had a really nice Christmas day. :smallbiggrin: Well except that my boyfriend is running sick with a fever, but he managed to pull himself out of his bed to spend a couple of hours with me and my family.

My loot for this year:
A camera with bag and memory card
A book about profiling
A new psp (old one broke)
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney for the DS
A shirt
Two very lovely snowglobe christmas tree decorations
Star Ocean for the PSP (from my bf, which coincidentally I also bought him that one)
Lunar for the PSP special edition

So a nice drop rate for me I think. :smallbiggrin:

Also Merry Christmas everybody and I hope you'll have (had) a nice Christmas! ^^

JadeTarisu
2010-12-25, 03:47 PM
Holler at those brave fighter/thief/illusionists who are celebrating the birth of Christ with a nice bloody dungeon-crawl.

Merry Christmas in the Playground, what did YOU roll on the loot chart?:smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-25, 06:24 PM
Got a pretty good draw this year. I had to wake up at five AM to open my presents because Mum had work today (=c). I was surprised by how cheerful I was - one quick shower and then I was up and bouncing for the rest of the day. o.o
From my Mum/Santa:
a Scars of Mirrodin Blue-Red-Artifact deck and a Rise of the Eldrazi Blue-Black deck for Magic: The Gathering;
a 25 dollar iTunes gift-card which I spent on the Repo! The Genetic Opera soundtrack, the new Linkin Park album (which was rather disappointing, but Requiem and Catalyst more than made up for it);
an art book of zombies and various undead lovelies, including a two-page section of steam-punk gas masks X3;
a new red hoodie that looks suspiciously like my old red hoodie and I suspect is a non-too-subtle ploy to make me stop wearing my slightly-grungy old red hoodie that Mum's been trying to make me get rid of for a year now. Nice try, Mum, but I love my old hoodie too much. You can't make me get rid of it!
a pair of comfy blue 'jamies, the bottoms have little penguins in toques and scarves throwing snowballs at each other. Silly penguins, they think they're people. :smallbiggrin:

I got a really beautiful charm necklace and a Terry Pratchet book from my best friend, and an orange aviator-style toque with fox ears from my brother (which I payed half for, but hey, I love it. ^^)

Partof1
2010-12-26, 02:24 AM
Loot flaunting? Sure! :smallbiggrin:

-Donkey Kong Country Returns
-Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
-Epic Mickey
-Rivals of Catan (2 player, card based Catan game)
-Ticket To Ride (other board game, looks fun)
-Scene It seinfeld Edition
-Flying Colours (Trooper album)
-Heavy Horses (Jethro Tull album)
-all the comics I haven't yet picked up from my FLGS
-Luigi action figure
-Darth Vader bobblehead
-Nerf sword

Man, it rocks yet being a fair bit of a kid. :smallsmile:

Amiel
2010-12-26, 04:55 AM
I got money for Christmas; $100 or thereabouts. I intend to spend it in the next 24 hours on outrageously fantastic items.

The_Admiral
2010-12-26, 05:45 AM
Merry Christmas everybody i know its a day late

Lateral
2010-12-26, 10:30 AM
Merry Boxing Day, everyone! :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-26, 02:37 PM
-Donkey Kong Country Returns
I am so jealous! I want that game so much.
Man, I wish I could use a Wii. =c

Vaynor
2010-12-27, 01:06 AM
a 25 dollar iTunes gift-card which I spent on the Repo! The Genetic Opera soundtrack

Best use for an iTunes gift card that I've seen.

I got a new set of headphones, a new jacket, and a bunch of books. :smallsmile:

unosarta
2010-12-27, 01:18 AM

I got a new set of headphones, a new jacket, and a bunch of books. :smallsmile:

Your presents are exactly mine, minus said headphones.

Although, I guess that doesn't really count since I also am going to Japan this summer and asked my parents specifically not to give me any presents (and they still managed to :smallannoyed:).

Merry Azathothmas. May we all not be destroyed. :smallwink:

I went around saying "Merry Cthulhuwe'en!" on facebook to people with christmas statuses. It was great.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-12-27, 07:37 AM

No, I used one to get the Ricky Gervais Guide Tos, Karl Pilkington being absolutely amazing and all.
WIN

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-05, 02:54 AM
My family came up last night, so I finally got some Christmas presents. :smallsmile:

THREE books about zombies, a microwave, and the movie Chairman of the Board. I like stuff about zombies, so it turned out okay.