PDA

View Full Version : Druid Spells while Underground

alexthemad
2010-12-24, 08:38 AM
So my group is going underground and my druid is the only caster in the group. I'm already thinking of spells like Stone to Mud, Mud to Stone, Sculpt Stone, and Blindsight. Are there any other must have spells for going underground?

Character is Druid 12. Thanks ahead of time for all help.

Vistella
2010-12-24, 08:56 AM
could use call lightning storm for some funny images and damage

Toliudar
2010-12-24, 09:05 AM
If you know where you're going, Find the Path is fantastic for cutting short a lot of wandering around in labyrinths. Summoned earth elementals make great advance scouts - moving through walls and floors to check on danger spots. Scent becomes an even more useful ability in enclosed spaces.

Brom
2010-12-24, 10:54 AM
So my group is going underground and my druid is the only caster in the group. I'm already thinking of spells like Stone to Mud, Mud to Stone, Sculpt Stone, and Blindsight. Are there any other must have spells for going underground?

Character is Druid 12. Thanks ahead of time for all help.

Something else to consider:

What is your group composition? If you're the only caster, you're (by definition) the only one who can heal (not that you should weigh your spells down with healing) but being the only one who can heal means battlefield control spells are more important.

Depending on group composition, certain buffs also become very desirable =D

Coidzor
2010-12-24, 12:12 PM
It might be a druid spell, might not, but there's a buff spell that makes one immune to metal weaponry which would be quite useful underground where wood is going to be a rarer weapon material choice, depending upon the type of environment, anyway. Ironbody, was it?

fortesama
2010-12-25, 09:10 AM
It might be a druid spell, might not, but there's a buff spell that makes one immune to metal weaponry which would be quite useful underground where wood is going to be a rarer weapon material choice, depending upon the type of environment, anyway. Ironbody, was it?

I Think you're referring to the Ironguard line of spells actually, though IIRC, it might make handling most metals problematic.

Aquillion
2010-12-25, 10:04 AM
Ironguard is sorc/wiz, not druid. Also realize that it doesn't protect you from magical iron (and, therefore, it doesn't protect you from enchanted weapons), which many people forget. On the other hand, it means that you can handle enchanted gear (and if you're high enough level to cast Ironguard, why are you using non-magical gear?)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-25, 12:16 PM
Ironguard is sorc/wiz, not druid. Also realize that it doesn't protect you from magical iron (and, therefore, it doesn't protect you from enchanted weapons), which many people forget. On the other hand, it means that you can handle enchanted gear (and if you're high enough level to cast Ironguard, why are you using non-magical gear?)

Of course, Greater Ironguard bars even enchanted metal weaponry from harming you, though as another Sorc/Wiz spell it's more than kind of irrelevant for a Druid.

On topic, Stone Tell means you have an informant regardless of location. Wall of Stone synergises wonderfully with most other useful dungeon spells. Actually, most Wall spells, as well as things like Insect Plague, become very useful in a dungeon where opponents can be penned in or held off easily due to confined spaces. Spike Stones is another useful one, though moreso if you're running away from some big nasty. Giant Vermin is hideously effective for blocking passages and weakening foes before they get to you, as are Walls of Fire and Thorns. If you suspect at all that there may be underwater sections, enough Water Breathing for the rest of the party (why use a third level spell when you can be a spellcasting shark? Wildshape is a wonderful thing) is a must. As a parting gift, Contagion can't be beaten in a cramped environment far from civilisation, healers and with a very strict food chain where a single thing not eaten means starvation. Nothing like wiping out an ecosystem for laughs, after all if they couldn't survive that they probably didn't deserve to (this is of course the justification for such an act as a Druid, who loses their powers if they cease to revere nature).