PDA

View Full Version : Working with a Ruby Knight Vindicator build.

Elric VIII
2010-12-24, 12:02 PM
I have recently put the finishing touches on a RKV build of mine and I'm wondering if I can make it better. I have just a few questions regarding the build.

1.) ToB says that it may be adapted for other dieties. Are there any official sources (articles, etc) that contain suggestions for adaptations?

2.) Is there a PrC that has its own divine casting ability that gains turn undead at 1st level, has at least 9 levels, and gets casting up to or past 5th level spells, and can be entered into by a non-caster?

I'm basically asking if there are any classes that can be used with RKV that aren't Cleric.

Just as a side note, is it enough to have only 4 9th level maneuvers by level 20?

noiadodh
2010-12-24, 12:03 PM
1) there's nothing official.. its very easy to homebrew this though - just tweak the prerequisite skills, change the PrC name and its done

2) a ur- priest that worships a dead god (its probably too OP though)

i would say that time stands still, FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE!!!! (what an awesome maneuver name man), mountain tombstone strike and war master's charge are more than enough

molten_dragon
2010-12-24, 12:16 PM
I have recently put the finishing touches on a RKV build of mine and I'm wondering if I can make it better. I have just a few questions regarding the build.

1.) ToB says that it may be adapted for other dieties. Are there any official sources (articles, etc) that contain suggestions for adaptations?

2.) Is there a PrC that has its own divine casting ability that gains turn undead at 1st level, has at least 9 levels, and gets casting up to or past 5th level spells, and can be entered into by a non-caster?

I'm basically asking if there are any classes that can be used with RKV that aren't Cleric.

Just as a side note, is it enough to have only 4 9th level maneuvers by level 20?

1. Just had the same issue myself, and I pretty much determined that no, there are no official resources for adaptation. There's some homebrew, but otherwise you're on your own.

2. It's not a prestige class, but Dread Necromancer fits what you're looking for. It's considerably weaker than cleric though.

Elric VIII
2010-12-24, 12:26 PM
Well, technically the requirements for Ur-Priest (worshiping no god or a dead god) and RKV (worshiping Wee Jas) don't allow mixing of the two. Although it is convenient how you need 2 levels of Ur-Priest to get Turning, then RKV advances it exactly 8 more.

Dread necro is arcane, but thanks anyway.

EDIT: Well, actually I went with FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION STRIKE (and my character will loudly shout its name along with gestures every time he uses it), Time Stands Still, Mountain Tombstone, and Tornado Throw.

Siosilvar
2010-12-24, 12:38 PM

1.) ToB says that it may be adapted for other dieties. Are there any official sources (articles, etc) that contain suggestions for adaptations?No, but dspeyer made a whole bunch of alternate Vindicators (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7759975).

noiadodh
2010-12-24, 12:40 PM
as you will need to ask your DM for an different god adaptation, please avoid picking factotum as your base class and/or abusing divine impetus + travel devotion/quicken spell :smallbiggrin:

Elric VIII
2010-12-24, 12:47 PM
Those adaptations seem good, but there are some schools that I don't recognize in them, where are those? NVM, I found them.

I'm using a swordsage base with a Crusader dip. I was thinking the RKV is a nice fix for the SS's poor recovery.

Also, does insightful strike damage get multiplied by the Diamond Mind maneuvers that multiply normal melee damage?

noiadodh
2010-12-24, 03:39 PM
Also, does insightful strike damage get multiplied by the Diamond Mind maneuvers that multiply normal melee damage?

yes, you treat this damage as a critical strike, including eventual critical strike damage stacking

BenTheJester
2010-12-24, 09:44 PM
Well, technically the requirements for Ur-Priest (worshiping no god or a dead god) and RKV (worshiping Wee Jas) don't allow mixing of the two.

I've seen the explanation that an Ur-Priest can "steal from all gods but one", therefor, worshiping a particular god. This explanation, however, is as cheesy as the class itself.

Elric VIII
2010-12-24, 10:57 PM
I've seen the explanation that an Ur-Priest can "steal from all gods but one", therefor, worshiping a particular god. This explanation, however, is as cheesy as the class itself.

Yeah, I agree with the cheesiness of that, along with the class itself. I like the concept of Ur-Priest, but it really needs to be either a base class or a longer class to get those 9th level spells (maybe 15 levels like the PrC base classes). Although, looking around I notice that there are a few 10-level classed that grant 9th level spells.

What I really want is a class that gets up to 6th or 7th level spells over 10 levels. Really, any PrC that grants turning at level 1, along with its own spell progression would be good.

BenTheJester
2010-12-24, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I agree with the cheesiness of that, along with the class itself. I like the concept of Ur-Priest, but it really needs to be either a base class or a longer class to get those 9th level spells (maybe 15 levels like the PrC base classes). Although, looking around I notice that there are a few 10-level classed that grant 9th level spells.

What I really want is a class that gets up to 6th or 7th level spells over 10 levels. Really, any PrC that grants turning at level 1, along with its own spell progression would be good.

Most of the other 10-level PrC who give spell do it only 1-2 levels earlier than you could normally get them or have a very limited spell list.

Amphetryon
2010-12-25, 08:43 AM
It's not a 10-level PrC, but it dovetails nicely with Ur-Priest - in particular the 'Adaptation' paragraph: Tenebrous Apostate, in Tome of Magic. Pair it with Ur-Priest and you slow the progression of spells down a bit, especially given the necessary Binder investment. Careful planning will get you to those 7th level spells.