PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Chinese reflavoring of the Ninja Spy EWP's (OA)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-24, 04:10 PM
I was looking into the Oriental Adventures, and for some reason, I had never noticed the Ninja Spy, which seems like an enjoyable rogue PrC. I generally hate ninjas as over-hyped rogues, but anyway...

I want to reflavor it to a more Chinese flavor. my issue is that the Ninja Spy gets exotic weapon proficiencies as it levels up... however, most of the weapons appear to be quite Japanese in origin and flavor. I would like different weapons that reflect a more Chinese setting.

these are the weapon options currently: blowgun, chain, chijiriki (Japanese), fukimi-bari (Japanese?), hand crossbow, kusari gama (Japanese), nekode, ninja-to (Japanese, also, since when is a crappy shortsword an exotic weapon?), shikomi-zue (Japanese? also, OA says its a large weapon, 1d8 x3... seems silly, since it is basically a sword cane) , shuriken, spiked chain, or war fan.

my only current ideas to replace the more Japanese of these would... a Dao, (a Chinese broadsword) which is in effect a scimitar. Any other Chinese type weapon suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-24, 04:19 PM
You can work with a siangham (basically emeici), hook swords (Secrets of Sarlona, but they aren't entirely Japanese in flavor), three-section staff. You can also work with repeating crossbows if you like.

Arms and Equipment Guide (3.0, but you're working with Oriental Adventures anyways) has ideas of different names for each weapon. If you have access to that book, you can add Exotic Weapon Proficiency to them.

Oh, and butterfly swords. I recall they're mostly Chinese in flavor (or at least close to the area). That should remove a good deal of the Japanese-flavored weapons.