PDA

View Full Version : low la constructs

awa
2010-12-24, 04:51 PM
so i have recently rolled up a new character and i rolled a 4 for one of his stats the obvious solution is to play a construct (we have exalted characters in the party so undead is a no no.) the problem is most construct's have unplayable high level adjustments, so can any one suggest a intelligent construct with relatively low la. its a very low opp group so it does not have to be an amazing race.

My group does not use home brewed material or dragon magazines so don't bother mentioning them

Prime32
2010-12-24, 04:57 PM
Warforged are the best known, being LA +0.

Glimbur
2010-12-24, 05:00 PM
Warforged are the best known, being LA +0.

However, they have a Con score, which is what the OP wanted to dump.

Other options include a big dumb fighter (4 Int), or a 4 Cha. 4 Wis is asking to be kicked in the Will save, and 4 in a physical stat is pretty awful. You don't need Str... until you realize you are encumbered by your spellbook.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-24, 05:01 PM
Also, there's nothing stopping you from being a Lawful Good undead if you're something like a Necropolitan.

awa
2010-12-24, 05:04 PM
exalted party member has an anti undead aura

edit also i thought the ritual specified that it was an evil ritual.

p.s. also templates that make you a construct are also acceptable

Prime32
2010-12-24, 05:13 PM
exalted party member has an anti undead auraBecome a necropolitan, then take the Otherworldly feat (which changes your type to Outsider). Or ask if you can use a variant which makes you Deathless instead of Undead.

dgnslyr
2010-12-24, 05:16 PM
Isn't the Exiled Modron a +0 LA construct, with an Int bonus to boot?

Godskook
Other options include a big dumb fighter (4 Int), or a 4 Cha. 4 Wis is asking to be kicked in the Will save, and 4 in a physical stat is pretty awful. You don't need Str... until you realize you are encumbered by your spellbook.

A 2nd level Geometer wizard with craft(tattoo) can have up to 48 spells visible and directly usable as his spellbook tattooed onto his own body.

I keep wanting to make a character with this, and have a psuedo-psuedo-wizard(A wizard who pretends he's a sorcerer pretending to be a wizard). Now if only there were a way to cipher a spell's spellbook entry better than Geometer.

awa
where is that from?
edit the modron

The Glyphstone
2010-12-24, 05:18 PM
Manual of the Planes, I think.

Keinnicht
2010-12-24, 05:58 PM
I, too, vote Deathless. If you're using the Book of Exalted Deeds, that means Deathless are probably acceptable.

awa
2010-12-24, 08:18 PM
i looked through book of exalted deeds and only saw two deathless one with a very high level adjustment and the other with no level adjustment also are you sure the modron is in manual of the planes.

its starting to look like their just aren't playable constructs.

Runestar
2010-12-24, 08:41 PM
Fiend Folio has the Maug (2 construct HD, +3LA).

awa
2010-12-24, 08:56 PM
perfect this is exactly the kind of thing im looking for

Urpriest
2010-12-25, 01:36 AM
Exiled Modron is I believe from a Dragon Mag. It's a Living Construct, so it probably has a Con score.

Dustform on the other hand from Sandstorm has only a +2 level adjustment.

awa
2010-12-25, 04:11 PM
dust forms apparently lack intelligence so i have no idea why they have a la

The Glyphstone
2010-12-25, 04:13 PM

Hadn't noticed that...that's weird. I played in a game once alongside a Dustform Human Paladin, and had never thought to look up the template myself. I just assumed it was legal.

true_shinken
2010-12-25, 04:29 PM
Hadn't noticed that...that's weird. I played in a game once alongside a Dustform Human Paladin, and had never thought to look up the template myself. I just assumed it was legal.

A Paladin with no intelligence score. Who would have thought? :smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2010-12-25, 04:39 PM
A Paladin with no intelligence score. Who would have thought? :smallamused:

http://www.instantrimshot.com

Godskook
2010-12-25, 04:41 PM

Cohort only, perhaps?

awa
2010-12-25, 05:12 PM
still weird it says they can understand any language they new in life. I suspect there is some form of confusion (on the part of the designers) either they weren't supposed to be unintelligent or the la was put their by mistake

Curmudgeon
2010-12-25, 06:47 PM
No, D&D is just weird about mindless creatures and languages. They can understand and follow simple instructions in whatever language (which sets them way ahead of our current AI technology), but in D&D's view of things they're completely lacking intelligence. :smalltongue:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-12-25, 07:02 PM
However, they have a Con score, which is what the OP wanted to dump.

A 4 in Strength? A Wizard should be so lucky. I have a venerable Grey Elf Wizard in my player's party who managed to get a Con of 10 and an Int of 25 (with a little Pathfinder-esque race help) at the expense of a 6 in Dex (on an Elf!) and 1 in Strength. You could knock him over by walking towards him. At fifty paces.