PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Miko's on TV Tropes!

Keinnicht
2010-12-24, 05:24 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar

Maybe this is old news, but Miko almost killing Belkar is the image for a trope that Miko personifies perfectly.

I know OoTS is a fairly well known webcomic, but it's still surprising to see it elsewhere.

So, congrats Giant: Your characters are now Y-list pop culture icons! :smallsmile:

Lateral
2010-12-24, 05:26 PM
OOTS is the trope namer for no less than NINE tropes. The list of tropes that it has examples of is categorized 'OOTS tropes A-L' and 'OOTS tropes M-Z'.

OOTS is not only a popular webcomic, its forums are a haven for tropers.

@V: No, I know that; I wasn't finished making my post. You didn't actually think that I would end a sentence without a proper sentence ending and punctuation, did you?

:smalltongue:

The Pale King
2010-12-24, 05:28 PM
OOTS is the trope namer for
Um, Knights Templar is a historical term from the Crusades. I don't remember OOTS mentioning it once.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-24, 05:31 PM
OOTS is the trope namer for no less than NINE tropes. The list of tropes that it has examples of is categorized 'OOTS tropes A-L' and 'OOTS tropes M-Z'.

Yeah, OotS on TV tropes is not a big deal. I think a lot of quotes from OotS are used as sort of prologues/forwards/whatevers for many pages.

Lateral
2010-12-24, 05:33 PM
Yeah, that too. Seriously, OOTS is a fountain of tropes.

Allan Surgite
2010-12-24, 05:33 PM
Order of the Stick? On my TV Tropes? It's more likely than you think.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-12-24, 05:38 PM
Aaaaaand it looks like they are trying to replace the image because it is not clear enough.

Ho hum.

littlekKID
2010-12-24, 05:39 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightTemplar

Maybe this is old news, but Miko almost killing Belkar is the image for a trope that Miko personifies perfectly.

I know OoTS is a fairly well known webcomic, but it's still surprising to see it elsewhere.

So, congrats Giant: Your characters are now Y-list pop culture icons! :smallsmile:

Listen, if we're going to list every time OoTS is referenced in Tv Tropes, will be here all night (hell, it's thanks to Good Ol' Tv Tropes that I even KNOW OoTS:smallsmile:)

Maximum Zersk
2010-12-24, 05:43 PM
Aaaaaand it looks like they are trying to replace the image because it is not clear enough.

Ho hum.

Eh, people are trying that all the time. Whether it actually goes through or not depends on the majority vote.

Keinnicht
2010-12-24, 05:50 PM
Listen, if we're going to list every time OoTS is referenced in Tv Tropes, will be here all night (hell, it's thanks to Good Ol' Tv Tropes that I even KNOW OoTS:smallsmile:)

Yeah, I'm noticing that now. I feel silly.

Lateral
2010-12-24, 06:13 PM
(hell, it's thanks to Good Ol' Tv Tropes that I even KNOW OoTS:smallsmile:)

That for me, but in reverse. Specifically, *shakes fist at Mauve Shirt 'cause her sig introduced me to TvTropes as I have so often stated*

B. Dandelion
2010-12-24, 07:37 PM

Same here. Actually there's a fair handful of us around. TVTropes enriched my life, but lightened my wallet from the buying of all those books...

Zmflavius
2010-12-24, 10:54 PM
Um, Knights Templar is a historical term from the Crusades. I don't remember OOTS mentioning it once.

It's not a reference to the Crusades. It's a reference to the trope.

Emperor Flumph
2010-12-25, 07:11 AM
No one ever claimed that OOTS was the trope namer for Knights Templar.
The nine tropes Lateral referred to are:
1. Start of Darkness
2. Continuity Snarl
3. Failed a Spot Check
4. And That Would Be Wrong
5. Evil Is One Big Happy Family
6. Not Hyperbole
7. Colour Coded for Your Convenience
8. Your Approval Fills Me with Shame
9. A Tankard of Moose Urine

Lateral
2010-12-25, 07:26 AM
No one ever claimed that OOTS was the trope namer for Knights Templar.
The nine tropes Lateral referred to are:
1. Start of Darkness
2. Continuity Snarl
3. Failed a Spot Check
4. And That Would Be Wrong
5. Evil Is One Big Happy Family
6. Not Hyperbole
7. Colour Coded for Your Convenience
8. Your Approval Fills Me with Shame
9. A Tankard of Moose Urine

No, no, it was my fault. See, when Darth Moses posted, I was still in the middle of posting, and there was only that part of the post which hie quoted in hir post. From what was there, it could have been mistaken to mean 'OOTS is the trope namer for Knight Templar'.

Emperor Flumph
2010-12-25, 10:44 AM
No, no, it was my fault. See, when Darth Moses posted, I was still in the middle of posting, and there was only that part of the post which hie quoted in hir post. From what was there, it could have been mistaken to mean 'OOTS is the trope namer for Knight Templar'.
Ohhhhhhh
a discount brick

My bad.

Swordpriest
2010-12-25, 02:44 PM
Considering how many people on here are addicted to that unspeakable site, it's not surprising that OotS is occasionally referenced there.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 07:06 PM
I honestly don't know how one would survive on the GitP boards without being fluent in Troperese, considering how often TV Tropes is referenced here.

Sc00by
2010-12-26, 07:29 PM
I refer you all to SPoD's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=2036) signature...

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 07:58 PM
I refer you all to SPoD's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=2036) signature...

SPoD's statement, while not entirely untrue, demonstrates something of a misunderstanding of the point of TV Tropes. The position of Tropers is not that "Stories must fit into neat little boxes! Get back in your boxes damn you! And if I catch so much as a hint of an original idea that can't fit into one of these boxes I'll beat you bloody with the business end of a nightstick!" it's that certain trends and archetypes appear again and again in fiction, and in real life as well, and that there is value in indexing them (and giving them clever names) so that those who partake might become more canny (though occasionally too canny (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)) readers and viewers.

Lateral
2010-12-27, 09:03 AM
While all of that is true, it's also true that there are people who use tropes in manners which they weren't meant to be used. They're tools, not... over-usey... thingies.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-27, 09:11 AM
That for me, but in reverse. Specifically, *shakes fist at Mauve Shirt 'cause her sig introduced me to TvTropes as I have so often stated*

I had to link to it! I was getting too many questions about what my name meant!

Serpentine
2010-12-27, 09:18 AM
The very fact that there are a lot of Tropers in the Playground is mentioned on TV Tropes...

Lateral
2010-12-27, 09:52 AM
I had to link to it! I was getting too many questions about what my name meant!

I know, I don't blame you. :smalltongue:

Swordpriest
2010-12-27, 12:19 PM
I honestly don't know how one would survive on the GitP boards without being fluent in Troperese, considering how often TV Tropes is referenced here.

Thanks, I prefer having my own thoughts, rather than the canned definitions on that site. :smallwink:

KenderWizard
2010-12-27, 01:35 PM
While all of that is true, it's also true that there are people who use tropes in manners which they weren't meant to be used. They're tools, not... over-usey... thingies.

Buffy Speak?! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BuffySpeak) :smalltongue:

No matter how well known the webcomic/book/show/movie, I always get a "Ooh!" moment whenever I see something I know on TV Tropes. Even if it's Harry Potter or something.

Lateral
2010-12-27, 02:59 PM
Yes, Buffy Speak. I couldn't think of an adequate word, so I used Buffy Speak. You got a problem with that? :smallannoyed:

:smalltongue:

Abemad
2010-12-27, 04:34 PM
1/3 = 0.333...
Ergo, 1/3*3 = 0.333...*3
Thus, 1 = 0.999...[/s]

:smallredface: couldn't resist...

1/3 is always larger than 0.333... no matter how many 3's you put on it, so the correct quote would be

1/3 > 0.333...
Ergo, 1/3*3 > 0.333...*3
Thus, 1 > 0.999...

But then again, that isn't really any fun...

Lateral
2010-12-27, 04:37 PM
Well, but you can't put bars above characters using GitP formatting.

Porthos
2010-12-27, 04:47 PM
:smallredface: couldn't resist...

1/3 is always larger than 0.333... no matter how many 3's you put on it, so the correct quote would be

1/3 > 0.333...
Ergo, 1/3*3 > 0.333...*3
Thus, 1 > 0.999...

But then again, that isn't really any fun...

This isn't true, actually. .99999... does equal 1. :smallsmile:

0.999... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...)

In mathematics, the repeating decimal 0.999... which may also be written as 0.9, or 0.(9) [ETA: Formatting fails in the previous examples - see original article to see how they were denoted], denotes a real number that can be shown to be the number one. In other words, the symbols 0.999... and 1 represent the same number. Proofs of this equality have been formulated with varying degrees of mathematical rigour, taking into account preferred development of the real numbers, background assumptions, historical context, and target audience.

That certain real numbers can be represented by more than one digit string is not limited to the decimal system. The same phenomenon occurs in all integer bases, and mathematicians have also quantified the ways of writing 1 in non-integer bases. Nor is this phenomenon unique to 1: every nonzero, terminating decimal has a twin with trailing 9s, such as 8.32 and 8.31999... The terminating decimal is simpler and is almost always the preferred representation, contributing to a misconception that it is the only representation. The non-terminating form is more convenient for understanding the decimal expansions of certain fractions and, in base three, for the structure of the ternary Cantor set, a simple fractal. The non-unique form must be taken into account in a classic proof of the uncountability of the entire set of real numbers. Even more generally, any positional numeral system for the real numbers contains infinitely many numbers with multiple representations.

The equality 0.999... = 1 has long been accepted by mathematicians and taught in textbooks. In the last few decades, researchers of mathematics education have studied the reception of this equality among students, many of whom initially question or reject it. Many are persuaded by an appeal to authority from textbooks and teachers, or by arithmetic reasoning as below to accept that the two are equal. However, some are often uneasy enough that they seek further justification. The students' reasoning for denying or affirming the equality is typically based on their intuition that each number has a unique decimal expansion, that nonzero infinitesimal numbers should exist, or that the expansion of 0.999... eventually terminates. These intuitions fail in the real numbers, but alternative number systems can be constructed bearing some of them out. Indeed, some settings contain numbers that are "just shy" of 1; these are generally unrelated to 0.999..., but they are of considerable interest in mathematical analysis.

suszterpatt
2010-12-27, 06:42 PM
Miko is also the poster girl for Mattress Tag Gag (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MattressTagGag). Incidentally, her eyes have been colored red in that picture for some reason. Doesn't Burlew have a policy against people altering his work?

Cerlis
2010-12-27, 06:44 PM
This isn't true, actually. .99999... does equal 1. :smallsmile:

0.999... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...)

In other words porthos. X=Y because these people have the magical name "mathmatician" and what they say goes, and it doesnt matter what anyone else says cus they are the "experts"

:P

Back in the olden days it was accepted by every educated person that the sun revolved around the earth....didnt make it true.

Porthos
2010-12-27, 07:19 PM
In other words porthos. X=Y because these people have the magical name "mathmatician" and what they say goes, and it doesnt matter what anyone else says cus they are the "experts"

Well, if that was what the article was saying I might be tempted to agree with you. But since the Rigors of Proof are rather substantial, I might not. :smallwink:

Back in the olden days it was accepted by every educated person that the sun revolved around the earth....didnt make it true.

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." :smallwink:
-- Carl Sagan.

Quinton250
2010-12-27, 07:41 PM

Don't try to compare the ignorance of the human race in the 16th century and their reluctance to accept the heliocentric model of the universe with a modern, mathematically proven fact.

If you understood the math behind many of the proofs given in the aforementioned wikipedia article (such as the one using infinite series) then you would not be arguing that .999 infinitely repeating is the exact same number as one. This is not based on a "magical name" and a random assignment of a value for .999 repeating as you state.

Let me put this in a very simple way. A rational number can be any fraction whatsoever, no matter how infinitely small. If .999 repeating and 1 were two different numbers, then there would be a rational number that is bigger than .999 repeating and smaller than 1 (just as there is with any two unique numbers). What would this number be? (Don't think too long about it, it doesn't exist)

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-27, 09:24 PM
Miko is also the poster girl for Mattress Tag Gag (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MattressTagGag). Incidentally, her eyes have been colored red in that picture for some reason. Doesn't Burlew have a policy against people altering his work?

Actually rich has a policy against people cutting and using his artwork at all without his permission, and it looks like all of the TV Tropes articles with an OotS picture are violating it.

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-12-28, 06:07 AM
Actually rich has a policy against people cutting and using his artwork at all without his permission, and it looks like all of the TV Tropes articles with an OotS picture are violating it.

Because TV Tropes is an "educational" site, it probably falls under fair use. Which means there probably isn't much he can do about it.

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-28, 08:24 AM
Because TV Tropes is an "educational" site, it probably falls under fair use. Which means there probably isn't much he can do about it.
What's "educational" about colouring Miko's eyes red when she's never once appeared with red eyes in the comic? It's misleading, if anything.

eggynack
2010-12-28, 04:01 PM
Hooray! Seriously though, OotS is on tvtropes so much that it is part of the tvtropes drinking game (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWikiDrinkingGame).

G-Man Graves
2010-12-28, 05:56 PM
You wrote:

Ho hum.

Let me just make a quick correction:

"Aaaaaand it looks like they are trying to replace the image because it is not anime."

There. Much more accurate.

SPoD
2010-12-28, 07:00 PM
Since I was summoned by name...

SPoD's statement, while not entirely untrue, demonstrates something of a misunderstanding of the point of TV Tropes. The position of Tropers is not that "Stories must fit into neat little boxes! Get back in your boxes damn you! And if I catch so much as a hint of an original idea that can't fit into one of these boxes I'll beat you bloody with the business end of a nightstick!" it's that certain trends and archetypes appear again and again in fiction, and in real life as well, and that there is value in indexing them (and giving them clever names) so that those who partake might become more canny (though occasionally too canny (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife)) readers and viewers.

My signature is not a complaint about TV Tropes itself, but about people linking to a trope in lieu of actual discussion.

At the time that I added it to my signature, it was very common for Rich to post a comic and have the discussion thread filled with posts that said, "Oh, he's just using THIS TROPE, he's not original at all," or, "He used THIS TROPE, so that means that THAT TROPE must happen next," and that was it. My complaint is that pointing out perceived tropes in OOTS does not mean that OOTS is any less original or worthwhile, and just because parts of a trope fit does not mean that Rich is obligated to use all related tropes.

I'm not going to knock people for going to TV Tropes and doing their trope thing, but this isn't TV Tropes and linking to a trope without explanation does not constitute valid commentary on this comic.

Tazar
2010-12-28, 07:03 PM
Gotta agree with SPoD; it's not nearly as bad now, but there was a time on these boards when TvTropes was linked an obnoxious amount. I remember with particular horror one post that had something like 9-10 linked TvTropes references in like 5 sentences.

Fun website to browse for amusement, but it gets kind of annoying when people insist on interjecting it into everything.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-29, 02:37 PM
Okay, that's quite a bit better, now that I have some context for the sig. And I wasn't around for the abuses in question, but it certainly sounds annoying. Moreover, based on what you told me, you actually have a better understanding of TV Tropes than those who were overusing it. Tropes Are Not Bad (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools) after all.

G-Man Graves
2010-12-29, 03:13 PM
Tropes are not bad. They become "tropes" for a reason. TvTropes is bad. It encourages people to think a link equals a full post.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-29, 03:45 PM
Tropes are not bad. They become "tropes" for a reason. TvTropes is bad. It encourages people to think a link equals a full post.

I think you're conflating the site with those who misuse it. TV Tropes doesn't replace original thought with an unexplained link-- people do.

There are better examples, but I'm erring on the side of caution.

I had the same thought; didn't want to get into real-world politics. We would get modded into next week.

Mystic Muse
2010-12-29, 04:09 PM

I'm sorry but this is just wrong.

Something being misused does not make that something bad, it simply makes it misused. If you look at the real world, there are plenty of parallels such as programming. It's not a bad thing, until it's used to harm others through viruses, trojans and the like.

There are better examples, but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Tazar
2010-12-29, 07:32 PM
Well, in all fairness, it gets overused or misused pretty damn frequently, unfortunately.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-29, 07:44 PM
Well, in all fairness, it gets overused or misused pretty damn frequently, unfortunately.

That doesn't make it an inherently bad thing. Like the overwhelming majority of... well, everything, it is neutral. It is what you make of it. Can people use it to mindlessly link and call it a post instead of actually writing what they think: of course. On the same token, when used correctly, TV Tropes can be a useful shorthand, understood by what appears to be a majority of the Playground population, when describing something in fiction that would otherwise require a wall of text to communicate.

Gnoman
2010-12-30, 01:03 PM
Exactly. There's no reason to have to type out "V's Familicide of the Black Dragon was so bad that many would consider it an act of utter evil that places hir beyond any possibility of redemption" every time you mention it, if oyu can just say "Many consider Familicide to be V's crossing of the Moral Event Horizon."

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 01:08 PM
Pretty much. Tropes are shorthand. Sure, sometimes something will straddle two tropes, or not fit neatly into any- that simply gives a reason to create a new trope.

Tazar
2010-12-30, 01:52 PM
At the same time, however, that requires anyone who reads that post to open up another page and view a paragraph or two about something when the linker could have just explained what they meant in their post.

Not saying TvTropes shouldn't be linked, just pointing out the other viewpoint here.

hamishspence
2010-12-30, 01:58 PM
True- without the link- only fellow tropers are likely to instantly get some of the phrases.

Others however, are much older and likely to be gotten even by people who have never visited TV Tropes.

Sometimes the trope name itself contains some of the info as to what is meant- other times, it doesn't.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-30, 09:02 PM
Sometimes the trope name itself contains some of the info as to what is meant- other times, it doesn't.

There's actually a fairly significant movement (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SocietyToPreventOverlyOriginalNames) on TV Tropes promoting that very thing.

MoonCat
2010-12-30, 09:05 PM
Hooray! Somone appears to have fixed the image to non-red Miko eyes!

Mystic Muse
2010-12-30, 09:34 PM
Hey Mr. Zolrane. I'd just like to inform you that you misquoted me as G-man graves in post 44.

I support the movement to clarify what certain things on TVtropes mean.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-30, 09:37 PM
Hey Mr. Zolrane. I'd just like to inform you that you misquoted me as G-man graves in post 44.

I... don't know how that happened. I will fix that. Quite sorry.

suszterpatt
2010-12-31, 05:45 PM
Hooray! Somone appears to have fixed the image to non-red Miko eyes!Yay, now I feel like I contributed to the internet!

...which would probably feel like much more of an achievement if this wasn't web 2.0.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-31, 09:09 PM
Yay, now I feel like I contributed to the internet!

...which would probably feel like much more of an achievement if this wasn't web 2.0.

True. That doesn't seem as cool as it would have even a few years ago, seeing as I spoke with the Whitehouse Press Secretary on Twitter just the other day...

MoonCat
2010-12-31, 09:13 PM
You contributed in that now Miko is no longer a demon from the nether planes according to Tvtropes. Not every helpful thing you do needs to be glamorous :smallsmile:

Brom
2011-01-02, 12:39 AM
You contributed in that now Miko is no longer a demon from the nether planes according to Tvtropes. Not every helpful thing you do needs to be glamorous :smallsmile:

That means it was boring but practical. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoringButPractical)

I'm sorry! I had to, given the context of the above threads!

Please don't hurt me for XP :smallredface:

MoonCat
2011-01-02, 12:46 AM
Please don't hurt me for XP :smallredface:
Nah, you're far too low a challenge :smallsmile:, and I'm not insulted.