PDA

View Full Version : The bard/cheerleader

Darkhub
2010-12-24, 09:46 PM
well, I am running in a 3.5 campain in a school club, and i think i am the only one who wants to be a bard. so far, i seem to be doing pretty well, but i am stuck on the spells to take. we are starting at level 10, and i have a cloak of charisma +6 as pretty much my only starting item. My DM seems to be new, and accepting of most ideas. Im pretty much thinking of a character that can Con you out of your own life, and convince anyone of anything. For fighting, i want to be the greatest cheerleader ever. helping allies, hurting enemies, even calling more allies/turning the bad guys good.
any ideas?
PS.if anyone knows of any good races (besides drow) that give Charisma bonuses, that would be great.

Urpriest
2010-12-24, 09:51 PM
I know you're asking about spells, but have you considered optimizing Inspire Courage? The spell Inspirational Boost, the feat Song of the Heart, and an item from the Magic Item Compendium (I've forgotten which) can together boost the bonus from Inspire Courage very high. The feat Dragonfire Inspiration can convert every +1 of Inspire Courage into a d6 of fire damage on your allies' attacks. This makes for a pretty nice cheerleader.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-24, 09:55 PM
May I suggest the Spellscale? +2 Cha, -2 Con, and some other nice racial features, including Dragonblooded IIRC.

Actually, disregard that. Go Lesser Aasimar instead, they're extremely good.

Darkhub
2010-12-24, 09:57 PM
oh, yes... i forgot to mention. Pretty much all i have right now is the players handbook, and some stuff to DM. If you tell me which books spells and feats are in, thats fantastic. i can probably get them.
(but the less books i have to use, the better)

Shadowleaf
2010-12-24, 10:01 PM
Lesser Aasimar is pretty cheesy for a LA +0 Race. There is this version, which isn't that overpowered, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) and then there is the Player's Guide to Faerūn, which has these stats, except type is humanoid(planetouched) and they are LA +0. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Planetouched%E2%80%94Aasimars_%28Race%29)

gorfnab
2010-12-24, 10:16 PM
Here is The Bard's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0)
Here is Breaking Down Inspire Courage Optimization Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=2hd722ojj180gb4eqfsv1ol0b0&topic=9830.0)
Hopefully these help a little.

aboyd
2010-12-25, 05:44 AM
I know you're asking about spells, but have you considered optimizing Inspire Courage? The spell Inspirational Boost, the feat Song of the Heart, and an item from the Magic Item Compendium (I've forgotten which) can together boost the bonus from Inspire Courage very high.
Badge of Valor, page 208, Magic Item Compendium.

Also, just as a suggestion for a path for the bard, here is something I enjoy doing with my bards: use the feat Extra Music to get 4 extra daily uses of bardic music, and use the feat Lyric Spell to convert your bardic music into extra spells. Each extra spell can be had for a base cost of 1 daily use of bardic music, and then 1 extra use per level of the spell. In other words, a 1st level spell costs 2 uses of bardic music, and a 4th level spell costs 5 uses of bardic music. It's pretty easy to get 9 or 10 uses of bardic music very early in the game, so at that point you might have a couple extra 2nd level spells, plus a 3rd level spell too. This starts to make the bard more like a full-fledged spellcaster. I mean, not really, but it helps.

Lyric Spell is a far, far better feat than ever using those "extra spell" or "extra spell slot" feats. Lyric Spell will almost always get you more, and be more flexible.

Gnaritas
2010-12-25, 07:44 AM
Note that the "Turn bad guys good" is very DM-dependant. I myself would warn my player that in most situations, this will not work out. You can roll a 20 but the BBEG is not going to surrender, nor is dragon A going to attack dragon B just because you rolled high on diplomacy.