PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]How to maximize usefullness a warblade dip on a swordsage build.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-24, 10:09 PM
I am building a backup characters for a game, it is a level 10 character and I thought on making a TWF swordsage; due the party composition (and player's game-style) this character still needs to fill the trap-finder role and to that means I decided to go with a 1 level dip on Trap-finding Ranger (Dungeonscape ACF) and since mobility has proven to be critical in the campaign so far I decided to also take the Wildshape variant to get the fast movement and then trade it for the Spirit Lion Totem, as per my group houserule on chaining variants/ACF.

Since I would be loosing half an initiator level due the dip, I decided to dip another class... I wrecked my brain thinking on which class would be good to dip, and I drifted towards Warblade in the end. Now playground, at which level would be most beneficial to take said warblade level? My first instinct was to take at level 5 or later to be able to get Wall of Blades and a higher level stance (please don't argue about the "you begin play with a level 1 stance" I have already cleared with my DM that, that only applies to level 1 martial adepts.)

TD;LR At which level would be most beneficial to take a warblade level on a ECL 10 Two-weapon fighting focused Trapfinding-Ranger 1/Swordsage 8 build.

Thanks in advance.

Keld Denar
2010-12-24, 10:18 PM
I'd suggest it at level 9. That gets you IL 5. You can get any of the diamond mind counters, or 2 of them and maybe Wall of Blades. Unfortunately, there aren't many good 3rd level stances. Pearl of Black Doubt is meh. I guess the tiger claw jumping stance would be pretty useful, situationally.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-24, 10:30 PM
So you are suggesting going TFRanger 1/Swordsage 7/Warblade 1/Swordsage +1?

Also I have been toying with the idea of taking Hunter Sense as my warblade stance, it is more of a non-combat option, and as the character would be introduced at level 10 it doesn't matter that I get it that late into the game.

Endarire
2010-12-25, 01:10 AM
Leaping Dragon Stance is spiffy if you want to go Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood_A_Tale_of_38_Guide_to_the_ 35_Dragoon). If you use my revised Stone Dragon Discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9233697), you have plenty from which to choose. Otherwise, L3 Warblade stances are meh.

Since you get Warblade1 at L9 or 10, you can learn White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge. Take Punishing Stance or Bolstering Voice, a prereq maneuver for IHS/WRT, and the lovely IHS and WRT.

kme
2010-12-25, 07:42 AM
For TWF route I would dip warblade on level 6 or earlier. Stormguard warrior can be really nasty on a TW Fighter, especially if you find a way of getting free attacks of opportunity (Robilar's gambit, karmic strike, defensive throw or something similar).