PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] How to get maximum number of weapon attacks that still hit?

Lateral
2010-12-25, 08:07 AM
What the title says. At this point, I'm thinking a tashalatora Monk 2/ Psychic Warrior 9/ Slayer 9 dual-wielding Kama to get 9 attacks (4 from BAB, 2 from Flurry, 3 from second weapon). Any ways to get more? The build has to be able to manifest prevenom weapon.

Nohwl
2010-12-25, 08:44 AM
yes, there are a bunch of ways. person_man had a list. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595)

there was also a thread on brilliantgameologists about getting a huge number of attacks, but it was more t.o. link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

Ernir
2010-12-25, 08:57 AM
FYI, asking for the maximum number of weapon attacks is a bit like asking how high it's possible to fire a projectile. The sky is the limit. Really.

Anyway, 9 attacks should be plenty for most casual games, you probably don't have to pump it much higher.
You should get a Haste effect, though. Boots of Speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#bootsofSpeed) or a Speed-enhanced piece of armor (MIC) are good ways if you don't have a friendly spellcaster to buff you up at the start of every fight.

Why are you comboing Prevenom Weapon with multiple attacks, though? Prevenom discharges on the first attack. =/

Lateral
2010-12-25, 09:04 AM
Hmm... I forgot about MWF. Is there a race with low LA and no RHD that has four or more arms? With four arms, my attacks go up to... wow, up to 16 (4 BAB, 2 flurry, 3x3 MWF) without spells.

Problem is, it'd take four rounds to cast Prevenom Weapon on all four weapons. I guess I could... wait, a continuous 1st level power effect is 2000 gp. I guess I could just have, like, +3 lucky wounding kukris of Prevenom Weapon. I wouldn't even need to be a Psychic Warrior.

(Yes, I know that they're only guidelines. I'd houserule them as costing more than 2000 anyway.)

Edit: I'm doing it for fun, because a strict RAW reading of Prevenom Weapon says that it still does 2 constitution damage on a hit forever as long as you're still holding it. Prevenom discharges, but by RAW, PVW doesn't.

2xMachina
2010-12-25, 09:05 AM
Multi weapon fighting, and argue that since your entire body is a weapon, each hair can make an attack of it's own?

:smalltongue: Hint, the emote says I'm joking

Lateral
2010-12-25, 10:10 AM
Hey, what's the duration of Psionic Lion's Charge?

Ernir
2010-12-25, 10:37 AM
Instantaneous. Use it once, gain the benefits forever. :smallsigh:

Godskook
2010-12-25, 10:37 AM

Abusably instantaneous, iirc.

And I'm not sure how many of your attacks come from levels, but a 2-level dip into Totemist grants 4 claws, and I'm sure you can manipulate that with UAS to get full iteratives *AND* all 4 claws. Going warforged gets you 2 slams + bite for 2 feats(bite + 2nd slam), getting the dragonblood subtype grants a tail attack(from feat, 1st level) and the possibility of another tail attack(soulmeld). Doing this via dragonborn costs you both slams, though. Chaos Roc Span grants 2 *MORE* natural attacks, but you're required to get the shoulder bind in order to deal lethal damage. A natural tail grants you the ability to take a feat that treats your tail as an additional arm, qualifying you for MWF with any race that can get a tail(Read: Anything, thanks to dragons).

tyckspoon
2010-12-25, 10:38 AM

Instantaneous. Which means, strictly speaking, that you can use it once to grant yourself unremovable Pounce forever after, but your DM probably won't sign off on that one.

Lateral
2010-12-25, 11:02 AM
Instantaneous. Which means, strictly speaking, that you can use it once to grant yourself unremovable Pounce forever after, but your DM probably won't sign off on that one.

Oh. What's its duration supposed to be, then? Or are the writers of the XPH complete morons and didn't even give it one?

Greyfell
2010-12-25, 11:13 AM
if it's anything like the 'pounce' spells in Spell Compendium, it's meant to be a swift action spell that lasts for one round.

tyckspoon
2010-12-25, 11:13 AM
Oh. What's its duration supposed to be, then? Or are the writers of the XPH complete morons and didn't even give it one?

Most similar spells (Swift Fly, Swift Invis, the actual Ranger/Druid version of the spell) are 1 Round.

Anxe
2010-12-25, 11:34 AM
Soul Knife and Pyrokineticist give you 16 touch attacks at 20th level.

Lateral
2010-12-25, 11:50 AM
Okay. So, if we use a 1-round duration, then Psionic Lion's Charge is inferior to Hustle for everyone but a dedicated charging build?

term1nally s1ck
2010-12-25, 12:00 PM
Unless you have any benefits from charging, then pretty much yes.

Lateral
2010-12-25, 12:17 PM
'Kay. Again, is there a race with low LA and no RHD that has four or more arms? Homebrew is fine, but it has to be reasonably balanced. More arms is better, obviously.

Also, do the Monk abilities progressed by Tash progress in Slayer?

If I get four arms, I'm seeing... wow, 48 Constitution damage maximum (16 attacks, with 3 con damage each from poison and wounding).

gallagher
2010-12-25, 01:20 PM
you are forgetting that you have access to powers that give you natural attacks, like one gives you a bite and another gets you a tail slap

dont go for the claws though, they make you only able to use those two claw attacks instead of your full attack

Lateral
2010-12-25, 01:23 PM
you are forgetting that you have access to powers that give you natural attacks, like one gives you a bite and another gets you a tail slap

dont go for the claws though, they make you only able to use those two claw attacks instead of your full attack

No, I'm not. It has to be weapon attacks, because Prevenom doesn't work for the trick I'm doing, but Prevenom Weapon does.

gallagher
2010-12-25, 02:04 PM
No, I'm not. It has to be weapon attacks, because Prevenom doesn't work for the trick I'm doing, but Prevenom Weapon does.

just because you cant venomize them doesnt mean that they arent useful. the damage increases with your level, and they are all added onto your full attack. plus you look scary as the abomination that you are

Godskook
2010-12-25, 02:09 PM
Okay. So, if we use a 1-round duration, then Psionic Lion's Charge is inferior to Hustle for everyone but a dedicated charging build?

Considering how many things activate on a charge, I'd say even non-dedicated builds could find reasons to prefer it.

Necroticplague
2010-12-25, 02:14 PM
For extra arms, you can pick up the insectile template. If you have a standard humanoid body, you grow four arms, so now you have six arms total. Plus all the other benefits of insectile, for an LA +2.

Lateral
2010-12-25, 02:39 PM
For extra arms, you can pick up the insectile template. If you have a standard humanoid body, you grow four arms, so now you have six arms total. Plus all the other benefits of insectile, for an LA +2.

Cool; what book is it in and what are its ability modifiers and racial traits?

Draz74
2010-12-25, 02:51 PM
Don't forget the Snap Kick feat.

Or the Dimension Hop power and the Sun School feat.

Godskook
2010-12-25, 04:57 PM
Cool; what book is it in and what are its ability modifiers and racial traits?

Savage species, and it isn't OGL, so we can't get you exact stats. In an LA buyoff game, I'd say its worth it, though.

Lateral
2010-12-25, 05:38 PM
...Waitaminute, I just checked, and Insectile says 'Despite having six arms, insectile creatures gain no additional attacks'. Does that only apply to natural attacks, so I can use MWF with them? If it doesn't, then Insectile doesn't work.

EnnPeeCee
2010-12-25, 06:17 PM
...Waitaminute, I just checked, and Insectile says 'Despite having six arms, insectile creatures gain no additional attacks'. Does that only apply to natural attacks, so I can use MWF with them? If it doesn't, then Insectile doesn't work.

The arms granted by insectile are useless, I don't know why it was suggested.

Thri-Kreen are the closest that I know of that you're looking for. 4 arms, 2 monstrous humanoid RHD, 1 la (for the non-psionic version), a bite attack, plus some decent ability and skill bonuses.