PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Enchantments

Loki Eremes
2010-12-25, 09:18 AM
Hi there Comrades!

Is it anywhere a complete index of weapon enchantments?
(like this is for feats http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats )

Ive got moneyz and i want to spend it wisely on my scimitars.
So if you got any good recommendations im taking them.
info: twin scimitars (they are +3 already) for a dervish/sneak attack/skirmish based PC.
Avalible money: 80.000gp

Ernir
2010-12-25, 09:32 AM
The list in the Magic Item Compendium isn't comprehensive, but it's OK.

What level are you? What kind of foes are you facing, have Undead/Constructs/Damage Reduction been a problem for you? What other significant magic items do you have? What are your ability scores? Does your character have a particular weakness you would like to overcome, or a particular strength you would like to emphasize?

Loki Eremes
2010-12-25, 09:52 AM
The list in the Magic Item Compendium isn't comprehensive, but it's OK.

What level are you? What kind of foes are you facing, have Undead/Constructs/Damage Reduction been a problem for you? What other significant magic items do you have? What are your ability scores? Does your character have a particular weakness you would like to overcome, or a particular strength you would like to emphasize?

Character lvl: 16th
current ability scores: (already enhanced by magic items)
STR 16 +3
DEX 32 +11
CON 19 +4
INT 16 +3
WIS 13 +1
CHA 14 +2

Normal Weapon damage [without sneak (3d6+16 craven) or skirmish (4d6)] =
1d6 (scimitar)
+3 (weapon enchant)
+3 STR
+3 (Dervish dance)
+3~5 (Knowledge Devotion)

Additional info:
- Rogue variant "Penetrating strike" (forgot the source book) Is the one you lose trap sense and Whenever you sneak attack something normally immune to sneak attack damage, do half your normal dice of sneak attack damage.
(so Sneak Attack imunity is not a big problem)

Enemies I'll be facing?
We re going to the Underdark when we finish the "beat the dragons" part.
But the Campaing is about Aberrations.

What i want to emphasize is damage dealt when im not in position to deliver a sneak/skirmish attack. Now im doing at BAB +13; 5 attacks.
As you see, 19 points of damage at maximum isnt a great ammount of damage at this lvl. Ive got plenty of ways to deliver those kinds of attacks, as I move 70ft per round + spring attack + dervish dance, but there are times when i cant do the trick.

another thing i want to rise is AR or a way of overcoming miss chances generated by spells.

Ernir
2010-12-25, 10:32 AM
Hmm. Well, for starters, you're going from two +3 weapons to no more than +5 equivalent weapons, each +3 to +5 upgrade costing you 50k - 18k = 32k, for a total of 64k, with 16k left over. Alternatively, you could make one weapon a +6 equivalent and the other a +4 equivalent for 68k.

I'd go for making both weapons +3 Wounding. It's completely useless against Undead, Constructs, and crazy-prepared fullcasters, but with enough attacks/round, it's awesome against everyone else.

Miss chances generated by spells - if the miss chances aren't stacked so deep that you can't hit anything, a greater Revelation Crystal (Magic Item Compendium) can compensate nicely. If you hit once, the rest of your attacks can hit fine. If incorporeality is an issue, a lesser+ Truedeath crystal (MIC again) is probably the way to go. I'd go with the greater version, since it has the very significant advantage of allowing you to SNEAK ATTACK THE UNDEAD, and you have +3 weapons already. A greater Revelation Crystal + a greater Truedeath crystal would set you back 15k.

You should/could spend some money on getting a Scout's Headband (MIC) or something else to get you True Seeing (but that's going out of your 80k budget). It defeats most common forms of miss chance. Energy Assault crystals for those times when you know your enemies won't have any extraordinary defenses should be on your buy list too.

If the MIC isn't allowed, your options are more limited. :smalltongue:

Loki Eremes
2010-12-25, 11:02 AM
Hmm. Well, for starters, you're going from two +3 weapons to no more than +5 equivalent weapons, each +3 to +5 upgrade costing you 50k - 18k = 32k, for a total of 64k, with 16k left over. Alternatively, you could make one weapon a +6 equivalent and the other a +4 equivalent for 68k.

I'd go for making both weapons +3 Wounding. It's completely useless against Undead, Constructs, and crazy-prepared fullcasters, but with enough attacks/round, it's awesome against everyone else.

Miss chances generated by spells - if the miss chances aren't stacked so deep that you can't hit anything, a greater Revelation Crystal (Magic Item Compendium) can compensate nicely. If you hit once, the rest of your attacks can hit fine. If incorporeality is an issue, a lesser+ Truedeath crystal (MIC again) is probably the way to go. I'd go with the greater version, since it has the very significant advantage of allowing you to SNEAK ATTACK THE UNDEAD, and you have +3 weapons already. A greater Revelation Crystal + a greater Truedeath crystal would set you back 15k.

You should/could spend some money on getting a Scout's Headband (MIC) or something else to get you True Seeing (but that's going out of your 80k budget). It defeats most common forms of miss chance. Energy Assault crystals for those times when you know your enemies won't have any extraordinary defenses should be on your buy list too.

If the MIC isn't allowed, your options are more limited. :smalltongue:

turning scimitar to +5 is a good start for AR, not so much for damge but it helps.

Revelation Crystal is simply awesome.

Energy Assault is a cheap great version of flaming, shocking ,etc, so... ill have it in mind.

Thx for your advice :smallwink:

on other news....
the Main question of this thread wasnt answered yet:
"Is it anywhere a complet index for weapon enchantments?"

MIC got some, but not all.

Vistella
2010-12-25, 11:09 AM
crystalkeep had one

Loki Eremes
2010-12-25, 11:23 AM
crystalkeep had one

omg thx a lot dude!

CyMage
2010-12-25, 11:28 AM
Here is a nice big List (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread)