PDA

View Full Version : Why do Outsiders get so many skill points in 3.5

Scalenex
2010-12-25, 01:01 PM
In the 3.5 MM only Outsiders get 8 skill points per hit dice. Most Outsider concepts don't really seem to need a lot of skills so I wish to ask why that is?

true_shinken
2010-12-25, 01:04 PM
The answer is: outsiders are awesome like that. :smallbiggrin:

No, seriously, that's it.

Geddoe
2010-12-25, 01:53 PM
true_shinken has it right. Outsiders are just better than you and me and Buddy down the road.

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-25, 01:54 PM
The same reason they get d10 hit dice, all good saves and 1/1 BaB.

Urpriest
2010-12-25, 02:15 PM
Part of it is, as mentioned, that they're supposed to be awesomer than everyone. Also, Outsiders are supposed to have a bunch of random knowledge skills to go with their otherworldly origin, and the extra skill points enable that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-12-25, 02:25 PM
The same reason they get d10 hit dice, all good saves and 1/1 BaB.

d8 HD, actually (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType), but the point stands: Outsiders > You

zagan
2010-12-25, 02:31 PM
It's a also a real pain to have to allocate all those skill point when homebrewing outsider, I never know what to do with them and half the time it give me synergy bonus so I need to add that too.

Sorry for that it was on my chest for some time, anyway yes there's no real reason for it, 6 should be largely enough I think.

Scalenex
2010-12-25, 03:13 PM
It's a also a real pain to have to allocate all those skill point when homebrewing outsider, I never know what to do with them and half the time it give me synergy bonus so I need to add that too.

Sorry for that it was on my chest for some time, anyway yes there's no real reason for it, 6 should be largely enough I think.

You hit the nail on the head. I am building a game world with mostly homebrewed planes and homebrewed Outsiders and I'm having so much trouble figuring out where to put the skill points I may just knock them down to six a hit die. Since I'm using 80% of my outsiders are homebrew I don't need to hold on to that rule from the Wizards of the Coast.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-25, 03:15 PM

This has less to do with Outsiders and more to do with what some people don't like about the 3.x Skill system (too many skills, too many [or sometimes not enough] points).

Coidzor
2010-12-25, 03:20 PM
If you wind up with too many skillpoints, you're thinking too narrowly for the concept. I literally cannot imagine how else you could run into such a problem.

zagan
2010-12-25, 03:22 PM
This has less to do with Outsiders and more to do with what some people don't like about the 3.x Skill system (too many skills, too many [or sometimes not enough] points).

Oh as a player I like having lot of skill point, but while stating up my vestige each time I allocate skill point I think about how only one or two will ever be of any use.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-25, 03:23 PM
If you wind up with too many skillpoints, you're thinking too narrowly for the concept. I literally cannot imagine how else you could run into such a problem.

I dunno, either. But that was what the OP was complaining about.

true_shinken
2010-12-25, 03:23 PM
It could also be the problem of an Intelligence score too high for a given archetype.