PDA

View Full Version : PEACH, new fighter for my homebrew setting

Dead_Jester
2010-12-25, 02:21 PM
First of all, I want to say that this is not meant to be a complete fighter fix/rebalancing. This does not address some of the main problems with the fighter class, but most of those (including SoD's, excessive use of battlefield control spells, flying/teleporting and item dependency), will be mostly removed by the setting itself, so bear with me.

Also, this is meant to replace the barbarian, the Knight (who ever used that) and the Samurai (won't even go there) and the spell-less melee Ranger. This is supposed to bring fighter (and those other classes) to a more playable tier 3.

The Fighter

"Weapons change, soldiers change ... but war, war never changes."

Ragnar Gianthewer, fighter

Starting gold : 6d4 x 10 (150 gold)
Starting age : as fighter
Hit die : d10
Saves : good Fort, good Will or Reflex
Class Skills : Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Concentration. Handle Animal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, History, Local), Listen, Martial Lore, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim
Skills per level : 4 + Intelligence modifier (x4 at first level)

The Fighter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0/+2|
+0/+2|Armor Training (1st), Bonus Feat, Fighter Talent
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0/+3|
+0/+3|Bonus Feat
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1/+3|
+1/+3|Fighter Talent, Weapon Aptitude
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1/+4|
+1/+4|Armored Training (2nd) Floating Feat, Shake it Off (1/encounter)
5th|
+5|
+4|
+1/+4|
+1/+4|Fighter Talent, Warrior's Edge
6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2/+5|
+2/+5|Bonus Feat
7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2/+5|
+2/+5|Fighter Talent
8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2/+6|
+2/+6|Floating Feat, Shake it Off (2/encounter)
9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3/+6|
+3/+6|Armored Training (3rd), Fighter Talent
10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3/+7|
+3/+7|Bonus Feat, Warrior's Edge
11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3/+7|
+3/+7|Fighter Talent
12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4/+8|
+4/+8|Floating Feat, Shake it Off (3/encounter)
13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4/+8|
+4/+8|Fighter Talent
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4/+9|
+4/+9|Armored Training (4th), Bonus Feat
15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5/+9|
+5/+9|Fighter Talent, Warrior's Edge
16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5/+10|
+5/+10|Floating Feat, Shake if Off (4/encounter)
17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5/+10|
+5/+10|Fighter Talent
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6/+11|
+6/+11|Bonus Feat
19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6/+11|
+6/+11|Armored Training (5th), Fighter Talent
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6/+12|
+6/+12|Capstone, Floating Feat, Shake it Off (at-will)[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies :
Fighters are proficients with all ranged and melee simple and martial weapon, as well as any three exotic weapons of their choice. They are also proficient with all types of armor and shields (including tower shields).

Class Features :
All the following are class features of the Fighter

Armored Training :
At 1st level, a Fighter decided a type of armor in which to specialize.He may choose between Light Armor, Medium Armor and Heavy Armor. This choice may be changed after a 15 day training period in which the fighter loses his previous specialization and must train for an hour per day in his new armor type.

Light Armor Training :
A fighter who trains in light armor becomes more mobile as he trains, eventually even becoming able to dodge the most dangerous blows.

At 1st level, he gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to one quarter of his fighter level (round up) as long as he only wears no armor or light armor and isn't encumbered. He also gains the benefits of the Dodge feat for free, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
At 4th level, he gains a +10 bonus to movement speed as long as he only wears no armor or light armor and isn't encumbered, and gains the benefits of the Mobility feat for free.
At 9th level, he gains a 10 % miss chance as he only wears no armor or light armor and isn't encumbered. This bonus is non-magical in nature, and doesn't stack with other sources of miss chance (such as the spell Blur).
At 14th level, his bonus to movement speed improves to +20.
At 19th level, his miss chance improved to 25 %.

Medium Armor Training : (note, this one is very WiP, especially the last ability)
A fighter who trains in medium armor becomes better at negating the negative effects of his armor and at resisting exotic threats.

At 1st level, he becomes able to sleep in medium armor with no ill effects, the armor check penalty is reduced by 1 for every 5 fighter level he has (round up) and the Arcane Spell Failure of his armor is reduced by 15 %.
At 4th level, he gains a +4 bonus to resist trips, bull rushes, overruns, grapples and disarms and sunder attempts against the armor. The maximum dexterity bonus of his armor is also increased by 1.
At 9th level, the speed penalty for using medium armor is removed, and the armor's Armor Check Penalty is reduced by 2.
At 14th level, the Arcane Spell Failure of his armor is reduced by a further 15 % (for a total of 30 %).
At 19th level, the Fighter becomes immune to environmental hazards and to harmful spells that target his armor (such as Heat or Chill Metal, Warp Wood or Rusting Grasp) when wearing medium armor.

Heavy Armor Training :
A Fighter who trains in heavy armor becomes more and more like a monolithic bloc of steel.

At 1st level, he becomes able to sleep in heavy armor with no ill effects, and he gains light fortification (25 % chance to resist critical hits and precision damage).
At 4th level, the Fighter provides Total Cover to allies completely behind him, and Partial Cover to those only partially behind him.
At 9th level, whenever he would be moved by a physical force (such as a bull rush or a Telekinesis spell) he may make an opposed check against the source of the effect (d20 + Fighter's Bab + Str modifier against d20 + enemy's Bab or Caster level + Str or relevant casting stat modifier). If he wins, he is affected as normal, but is only moved half the distance.
At 14th level, the Fighter's Light Fortification improves to Heavy Fortification (75 % chance to resist critical hits and precision damage), and he now provides Partial Concealment to those who gain a cover bonus from him.
At 19th level, when he wins the opposed check to resist a physical movement, he remains completely stationary, and ignores any other effects. Even if he fails, he is only moved half the regular distance, but is still affected by any further effects.

Bonus Feat :
At 1st level, a Fighter gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The fighter gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every four fighter levels thereafter (6th, 10th, 14th and 18th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Weapon Aptitude :
At 3rd level, a Fighter gains the ability to adapt his training to any weapon he may need to use. This works exactly like the Warblade ability of the same name.

Floating Feat :
At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th and 20th), a fighter gets a bonus feat drawn from the fighter bonus feat list, the Luck feat list (CScr) *****. A fighter must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums. These feats are permanent, but may be changed after 8 hours of rest. If any other feats have them as prerequisites and they are changed, then the other feats are removed (but the feats aren't refunded).

Fighter Talent :
Starting at 1st level, and every 2 level thereafter (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 19th). These talents represent every fighters different style of training, and their different aptitudes. I included a list of talents, but feel free to add some more of your own (this is very WIP). A fighter needs to meet all the prerequisites of a talent, but isn't obligated to select all talents from a section, and may take them in disorder if the further one don't require the first ones.

Shake it Off :
Starting at 4th level, a fighter has conditioned his body to endure so much abuse and disciplined his mind to such a degree that he may, once per encounter, reroll any save he fails as an free action. At 8th, 12th and 16th level, he gets another reroll per encounter. He can only reroll a single save per round, and never try more than once for the same effect if it grants further saves. At 20th, his mastery of his mind and body is so great to he may reroll any failed save once.

Warrior's Edge :
Starting at 5th level, and again at 10th and 15th levels, the fighter may select an ability from the following list : (more coming soon)

Ankle Slasher :Once per round, the Fighter may threat one of his normal melee attack as an Ankle Slasher. This attack deals normal damage, but initiates a Trip attempt against the enemy. This is treated as a normal Trip attempt, but it never provokes an attack of opportunity and the Fighter cannot be tripped if he fails. This ability may be selected more than once, and can be used once more per round for every time this ability is selected.

Close Quarter Combat :
During a Grapple, you may make a normal melee attack when using the Attack Your Opponent option. Furthermore, you can use a weapon of any size for this attack, as long as you can wield it, and the penalty to attacks is reduced to -2. This ability may be selected more than once, and grants an additional melee attack every time. These further attacks take a progressive -5 on attack rolls (-7 on the second bonus attack, -12 on the third) and are treated as standard iterative attacks.

Flurry of Blows :
This works exactly like the Monk ability of the same name, except all attacks made when Flurry of Blows is used (including the normal iterative attacks) take a -2 penalty to attack rolls. The extra attacks only apply to the weapon wielded in the main hand if dual-wielding. This ability may be selected more than once, and grants an additional melee attack every time.

Heavy Impact :
Once per round, the Fighter may threat one of his normal melee attack as a Heavy Impact. This attack deals normal damage, but initiated a Bull Rush attempt against the enemy. This is treated as a normal Bull Rush attempt, but it never provokes an attack of opportunity and the Fighter cannot be pushed back if he fails. This ability may be selected more than once, and can be used once more per round for every time this ability is selected.

Talent List :

Evasion :
Evasion (5 Bab) : the Fighter gains the Monk ability of the same name, but it can be used in up to medium armor.

Improved Evasion (Evasion, 9 Bab) : the Fighter gains the Monk ability of the same name, but it can be used in up to medium armor.
Maneuvers :
Maneuvers : The Fighter can select a maneuver of a level equal to the maneuvers level x2 minus 1 (1st level at level 1, 2nd level at level 3, etc). The maneuvers must be from a discipline normally available to Warblades (including, if you so desire, from the multitude of homebrewed disciplines on these boards). This maneuver is always readied at the start of the encounter, and can be refreshed using the Swordsages recovery method. This ability may be selected multiple times, and the Fighter gains a stance from any discipline available to Warblades. The maneuvers and the stances don't need to be selected from the same discipline, and they only need to respect the level minimum.
Manipulator :
Manipulator : The Fighter may now use both the Feint and the Demoralize Enemy use of the Intimidate skill as move actions, and the victims of the Feint attempt are considered flat-footed until the beginning of the Fighter's next round.

Improved Manipulator (Manipulator, 5 Bab) : The Fighter may now use both the Feint and the Demoralize Enemy use of the Intimidate skill as swift actions. Enemies affected by a Fighter's Feint ability are now also confused (as if a Confusion spell had been cast on them, except this is an Ex effect) for 1 round if they do not pass a Will save ( DC 10 + 1/2 class level + fighters Cha bonus), and enemies shaken by a Fighter's intimidate attempt are now frightened for 1 round, and then shaken.

Master Manipulator (Improved Manipulator, 9 Bab) : Enemies affected by a Fighter's Feint ability are now confused for 1d4 rounds, and enemies shaken by a Fighter's intimidate attempt are now panicked for 1 round, frightened for 1 round, and than shaken.
Mettle :
Mettle (5 Bab) : the Fighter gains the Hexblade or Crusader ability of the same name.
Pounce :
Pounce (5 Bab) : this ability let's the fighter make a Full Attack at the end of a charge instead of a single attack. This can be used in conjunction with Warrior's Edge or any other ability that modifies a Full Attack action or melee attacks.
Powerful Built :
Powerful Built (7 Bab) :
Rage :
Rage : This functions exactly like the barbarian class feature of the same name, but is usable once per day and an additional time every five levels (up to 4 times at 16th level).

Improved Rage (Rage, 9 Bab) : This functions exactly like the barbarian class feature of the same name.

Mighty Rage (Improved Rage, 17 Bab) : This functions exactly like the barbarian class feature of the same name.
Spell Resistance : (note that I am considering making this into 10, 12, and 15 instead of 8, 10 and 12 + fighter level, or making it 10 and 15)
Lesser Spell Resistance (5 Bab) : the Fighter gains Spell Resistance equal to 8 + his Fighter level. The Spell Resistance can be removed or enabled at will as an immediate action, but a Fighter may not be do so if he is under the influence of a mind-affecting spell.

Improved Spell Resistance (Lesser Spell Resistance, 9 Bab) : the Fighter's Spell resistance improves to 10 + his Fighter level.

Greater Spell Resistance (Greater Spell Resistance, 15 Bab) : the Fighter's Spell Resistance improves to 12 + his Fighter level.
Uncanny dodge :
Uncanny Dodge (3 Bab) : the Fighter gains the Barbarian ability of the same name. Note, if the fighter gains Uncanny Dodge or Improved Uncanny Dodge from another source, his levels stack.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Uncanny Dodge, 7 Bab) : the Fighter gains the Barbarian ability of the same name.
Whirling Frenzy :
Whirling Frenzy : The fighter gains the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) ability, but the extra attack does not stack with flurry of blows, and the ability is usable once per day and an additional time every five levels (up to 4 times at 16th level).

Improved Whirling Frenzy (Whirling Frenzy, 9 Bab) : The Fighter's Strength bonus increases to +6, and his dodge bonus to AC and on Reflex saves increases to +3 when he uses Whirling Frenzy.

Mighty Whirling Frenzy (Improved Whirling Frenzy, 17 Bab) : The Fighter's Strength bonus increases to +8, and the dodge bonus to AC and on Reflex saves increases to +4 when he uses Whirling Frenzy.

*Note : Fighter levels increase initiator level as if they were levels taken in an initiating class, and they stack for the purpose of qualifying for feats, PrC's and for the effects of maneuvers.

Dead_Jester
2010-12-25, 04:29 PM
Reserved for more stuff

Dead_Jester
2010-12-25, 04:30 PM
Reserved just to be sure

nonsi
2010-12-26, 03:13 PM
Warrior's Edge: still waiting to see what you come up with.

Saving throws: Will beats Ref any day, so there's really no option there.

Fighter Talent: I'd add the following to select from:
Uncanny Dodge (3rd+), Evasion (when unhindered by armor or equipment, 5th+), Mettle (7th+), Improved Uncanny Dodge (7th+), Improved Evasion (13th+), the ability to move unhindered in meduim armor (5th+, Str 15+), followed the ability to move unhindered in heavy armor (9th+, Str 19+) etc.

Floating Feats: When a floating feat serves as prerequisite to another feat, the other should be restricted to also be a floating feat, otherwise you end up with a lot more floating feats than you'd actually wish.

One particular issue that still persists is the core Fighter’s shortcoming in coping with the action economy problems.

But other than the above, this is definitely one of the more solid attempts I've ever seen to fix the Fighter. It even manages to play in the same sandbox alongside the martial adepts but without beating them at their own game.

Dead_Jester
2010-12-27, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reply!

For the saving throws, I have to agree for core, but in the homebrew campaign setting I am making, will targeting SoS and SoD are much rarer whilst reflex targetting ones should be slightly more prevalent, so I think I'll leave the choice to the players themselves.

For warrior's edge, I was considering keeping it to attack modification (such as flurry of blows or awesome blow), although I am open to letting more stuff too.

As for the talents, I'll add them (probably make evasion in light armor though), but I don't know if I won't just give them Mettle at level 6 or 7 for free. I was also considering remaking some of the good fighter ACF's as talents (such as Dungeoncrasher and Zhentarim fighter), and maybe stuff from other melee classes (things like favored enemy, better remakes of the CW Samurai's intimidate stuff, and maybe the Knight's Challenge). The only problem is that I am AFB at the moment, so it'll be pretty hard for some.

For the floating feats, I'll try to make it clearer, but the intention was that if they were use to fill out prerequisites and were latter removed, the abilities that required it would become available but if it was a feat, the feat slot wouldn't be "refunded".

As for the action economy, any suggestions are welcome, as I have no ideas that wouldn't be stepping on ToB's toes (especially when they can already take boosts and counters from ToB without any prerequisites).

I was also considering giving the Fighter a choice of armor specialization at first level, something that would give light armor users a scaling dodge bonus and maybe some bonuses to speed and heavy armor users a reduction to penalties and the ability to act as moving cover.

nonsi
2010-12-28, 01:21 PM
For warrior's edge, I was considering keeping it to attack modification (such as flurry of blows or awesome blow), although I am open to letting more stuff too.

Given the name implies offensiveness, I agree on this one.
Take a look and see if Warrior's Edge was omitted intentionally from level 20.

...AFB...

?:?:?

For the floating feats, I'll try to make it clearer, but the intention was that if they were use to fill out prerequisites and were latter removed, the abilities that required it would become available but if it was a feat, the feat slot wouldn't be "refunded".

Nobody wants to burn away his own feats, that's for sure, but if you allow permanent feats to be taken based on a floating feat as prereq, then they automatically become floating feats as well.
Just don't allot taking permanent feats based on floating feats. Limit floating feats to serve as prereqs only for other floating feats.

As for the action economy, any suggestions are welcome.

On this I can only redirect you to my house rules (http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-house-rules/270794-my-3-5-house-rules-codex-final.html).
I have quite an unorthodox view of what martial combat and the Fighter fix should look like, but you might find something in there to draw from for your Fighter remake.

I, Dashing Cube
2010-12-29, 10:47 AM
On the subject of the floating feats, you could still allow them to qualify for other feats and classes (if not, they really aren't has good has normal feats, considering you have a few of them). You can simply say that if you don't qualify for a feat anymore, that feat can't be used, but is kept. This means that you can still be very specialized, but still able to change your feats around if you need to.

Dead_Jester
2010-12-29, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Added some more Warrior's Edge abilities, as well as the Armor Training series and some Fighter Talents proposed by nonsi.

Veklim
2011-03-23, 07:00 AM
The floating feat thing isn't an issue as long as the player has half an ounce of sense and a tiny bit of martial character experience. The permanents are for character shape (specialisations, monkeygrip, almost anything from complete warrior, etc...) and the floating ones are perfect for the phb trees; combat expertise tree, dodge tree, point blank shot tree and power attack tree. Makes the fighter eminently adaptable. Things like vexing flanker should be considered for them too, IMO.
Powerful, but has a better range for customisation, mind you, vanilla fighter can be pumped like the proverbial so this baby is gonna sing.
:smallbiggrin:

I pity the DM who says yes to me when I ask to play this, but I'm a DM too...and I'd allow it in one of mine.

Please expand :smalltongue:

ericgrau
2011-03-23, 03:19 PM
Finally some solid versatility instead of piling on numerical bonuses that the class doesn't need. It is still an upgrade and I hope you boosted other classes to match. Couple issues though: Pounce and spell resistance are WAY better than the other talents. An easy fix for SR would be to start it lower, maybe around 4 or 6+level and increased by 2 every time you retake it. Pounce could be skipped as full attacks (and avoiding them) are part of fun strategy IMO. Rage is a little stronger than other talents but tolerable even if every PC jumps on it; removing the fighter tree feats could compensate if necessary. Light armor training provides a big drawback up front while the benefit comes gradually and finishes at levels when the PC may have the dex to not worry about light armor. Perhaps light and to some extent medium armor training could be more front-loaded (and less back-loaded).

EDIT: Darn it, a necromancer!

Dead_Jester
2011-03-23, 03:37 PM
Both of you didn't check the last post date right?

As far as your suggestions, I modified Spell resistance to be 8, 10 and 12 instead of 10, 12 and 15, and I put a bab requirement on pounce.

I should really get around to finishing this though, but I have no inspiration for the capstone.