PDA

View Full Version : Video game food

tcrudisi
2010-12-25, 02:38 PM
My fiancée and I are having a video game themed wedding. Yesterday we were talking about how to make the food fit the theme. However, we can both remember that a lot of games have food in it, but we are struggling to remember the names of the video games or the food in it.

May I please get the playgrounds assistance? If you can remember a food and the video game (at least enough of the game that we can google it), please let us know! The more options we have, the better we will be able to feed our guests.

As an example, I thought of a Pac-Man fruit platter: cherries, strawberries, peaches, pretzels, apples, pears, and bananas. Of course, due to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games, pizza is an option.

Thanks in advance, playgrounders!

Dr.Epic
2010-12-25, 02:42 PM
Mushrooms: Super Mario
Cherries (and other fruits I can't remember): Pac Man
Herbs (interpret this any way you like, just thought I'd list it): Resident Evil
Heart Cookie: Legend of Zelda (or at least Legend of Neil)
Bananas: Donkey Kong

Dire Moose
2010-12-25, 02:43 PM
Well, there's mushrooms for Mario and bananas for Donkey Kong, and if you don't mind the horrible pun involved, maybe some "Falcon PUNCH" to drink...

Vaynor
2010-12-25, 02:43 PM
You should have Dr. Mario themed pill-shaped cookies.

Also the apples could double for Yoshi fruit.

Mushrooms for Mario?

Oh and have a big cake sitting in the middle of all of the food, but have it actually be cardboard in the shape of a cake covered in frosting (the cake is a lie!).

tcrudisi
2010-12-25, 03:06 PM
...and if you don't mind the horrible pun involved, maybe some "Falcon PUNCH" to drink...

Nope, we don't mind the pun at all. In fact, my fiancée also suggested food puns, we just couldn't think of any. So thanks!

Oh and have a big cake sitting in the middle of all of the food, but have it actually be cardboard in the shape of a cake covered in frosting (the cake is a lie!).

Hehe. Yeah, we talked about doing something like that. My idea was to actually make the cake a lie; her idea was to make the real cake. However, your idea was presented far more eloquently than mine and she just laughed at the idea, so there's a very good chance we may go with it.

I know there were a lot of meats that were used to gain full health in games, but I just can't remember them. Oh, and to give everyone an idea: she started playing games back when the Calico Vision was out; I began with the old NES. Between us, we have pretty much every system covered, so don't be afraid that any reference is too obscure. :smallsmile:

Jallorn
2010-12-25, 03:11 PM
How about Maximum Tomatoes?

Also, if it's a pie, then the cake is a lie. And you can put it in a pi plate.

AlterForm
2010-12-25, 03:21 PM
Sandvich (http://everyday-gamer.net/images/sandvich.jpg). It's deelishus!

woodenbandman
2010-12-25, 03:23 PM
It should be no surprise to anyone with a passing familiarity with vidcons that pocky is the ideal food to snack on when playing mentioned object (although 'playing' is an inappropriate word, because you experience, rather than play, a vidcon; I shall use 'playing' for the sake of simplicity). For those ignorant to the intricacies of this fine Japanese cuisine, imagine a delicate stick of sweetened bread about the width and length of a chopstick, its tip coated in the richest chocolate imaginable. The bold flavor of the chocolate is complimented by the small nuts that caress the tip, creating a culinary juxtaposition of sweetness and saltiness that can only have been hatched in the mind of a chef versed in the subtle paradoxes of Eastern cooking. They are light and easy to eat and hold, useful for vidconning on the go, and their sugar content add that extra boost for late night vidcons. Therefore, pocky has garnered itself the precious title of "Ultimate Vidcon Snack". Perhaps the only drawback of pocky is its limited availability in the West, though this cannot be attributed to the snack itself, but the infuriating baboons that think they are running grocery stores.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-25, 03:35 PM
That's nice and all. But not what this thread is asking. Also, not all Pokey has nuts. :smallwink:

Winthur
2010-12-25, 03:35 PM
Oh boy! I'm so hungry, I could eat an octorok!

Nope, we don't mind the pun at all. In fact, my fiancée also suggested food puns, we just couldn't think of any. So thanks

Put some of Simon Belmont's "whip" on the cake/pie.
For StarCraft fans, apparently:
Crackling - The skin of the pork joint, scored with a knife, rubbed with salt and roasted so that it crunches around the outside of the meat. Fabulous!

Black puddings are monsters in some roguelikes.
How about some deep fried chocobos? Or at least a One-Winged Chicken with an elaborate backstory that he was Dancing Mad once he was beheaded?
And of course, mana/health potions for drinks?

Also, this. (http://chzbobshouseofvideogames.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/b714766a-255d-4fcd-81c9-d0c17e7260b0.jpg)

I hope you bring lots of spaghetti! :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-12-25, 04:50 PM
the traditional +health foods have been porkchops and drumsticks.

you have to have red and blue drinks (health/mana potion, anyone?) edit: ninja'd

Dr.Epic
2010-12-25, 04:54 PM
Rat tail from the first Final Fantasy game. It can be symbolic of your class changer from boyfriend/girlfriend to husband/wife.

Mando Knight
2010-12-25, 04:55 PM
Also, if it's a pie, then the cake is a lie. And you can put it in a pi plate.

Cheesecake is a pie.

DrizztFan24
2010-12-26, 01:17 AM
D&D themed Jones soda?

Mario also had turnips. Fable can get you just about anything for food, and so can DDO (dungeons and dragons online).

bluewind95
2010-12-26, 01:37 AM
Earthbound had all sorts of food. From cookies to pizza to sandwiches and hamburgers....

Milk from Zelda. There was even soup in one of them.

Pokemon has all sorts of berries.

Rowsen
2010-12-26, 02:13 AM
D&D themed Jones soda?

Mario also had turnips. Fable can get you just about anything for food, and so can DDO (dungeons and dragons online).

Oblivion had tons of food. Just don't pick it up of the guards will hunt you down.

tcrudisi
2010-12-26, 02:35 AM
I was just showing my fiancée this thread and she just started laughing and giggling for a minute non-stop about the "Falcon Punch". She's determined that we will now use it.

So if nothing else, I can promise that at least one thing from this thread will be used in the wedding. (I'm sure there will be a lot more than just the one.)

There have been a lot of really good suggestions and ideas. Please keep 'em coming. Even if it's obscure (neither of us have heard of Earthbound and we have a long history of gaming) or really mainstream (how in the heck did we forget about radishes from Mario 2?), don't be afraid to speak up. Thanks again, guys.

Lady Moreta
2010-12-26, 03:27 AM
Can I be a slight voice of dissension?

I think the idea is funny and fantastic, but I do think you need to take a couple of things into consideration first.

1. What time is your reception? If it's over a meal-time then your guests are going to be expecting a full meal. Correct me if I'm getting the wrong idea, but these food ideas you've been getting strike me as finger-food things, not a full meal.

~ Note that even if your reception is over a meal-time that doesn't mean you have to provide a meal if you want to go this route, but if you do, you will have to make it clear on your invitations that a full meal isn't going to be provided "Cocktail" is the usual word to indicate a meal isn't going to happen so it allows people to grab an extra bite to eat if they think they'll need it.
~ The nifty idea my husband had was to do themed names rather than themed food. He suggested a mushroom-sauce steak and call it 'One-Up Steak' (or whatever the mushroom thingie in Mario is called)
~ My idea was, if your reception is over a meal-time was similar - to have a couple of themed dishes along side the meal. Or even instead of using table numbers, use names of video game foods instead. For our wedding, we used book titles we'd both read instead of numbers.

2. What do you plan on doing with the ideas? Someone saying 'mushrooms from Mario' isn't that helpful, I'm assuming that you aren't just going to serve people mushrooms... what's the plan to actually sort out all these foods and serve them.

3. Kids and people with allergies? Will you do something special for kids? A lot of kids can be fussy eaters and some simply can't handle the same foods adults can. Likewise allergies... make sure you get people to list any allergies they have - and you'll have to ensure you have made arrangements for alternative foods for them.

4. Are you going to be doing this yourself or will you have a caterer? Finding one who can accommodate what you want to do could be difficult if 'video game foods' is the only idea you have. It's neat, but you'll need to be a LOT more specific when it comes time to get professionals in on the act.

5. The cake is a lie? Loved it :smallbiggrin: I thought it was hilarious... and will actually be pretty easy to do. A lot of bakeries have 'cakes' made of polystyrene that they use as extra tiers for wedding cakes. Say you wanted a three-tiered cake, but could only afford one of actually cake. They'll use polystyrene 'cakes' covered in fondant (or whatever) to give you the look you want.

~ Consider having an actual cake of some description (or cupcakes) as well as the 'lie' though.

Overall, I think it's a neat idea... but you do need to consider your guests and what they will be expecting. Think about it like a normal party. You would make sure they knew what to expect food-wise, you would make sure there was something everyone could eat. When you invite people over to your place for a meal, it is really about the guests, not about you. One piece of wedding advice I received when I was getting married was that the ceremony is about you, the reception is about your guests. Now I don't mean you can't do what you want - it is still your wedding. But I do mean that you have to take your guests into consideration and that when it comes to the 'party' part it is more about them than about you.

The idea is neat, but I think you'd be better off having a themed food for each table, or doing something like what my husband suggested with the 'one up mushroom steak'.

Asthix
2010-12-26, 09:57 AM
First, remember to have plenty of Root Beer (http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9366) on tap. Did you know you can buy pony kegs of 1919 root beer these days? Yum.

Second, two words. Burger Time (http://www.addictinggames.com/burgertime.html)! Just picture a make your own burger setup like Fudruckers with someone on hand to ensure piping hot patties of whatever people want. Hamburger, chicken patties, veggie burger. This could also serve as the 'main course' so the banquet doesn't end up being all finger food as Lady Moreta suggests.

Third, have a big bowl of jellybelly jellybeans (cause they're the best) in honor of the remake of A Boy and his blob!

Aidan305
2010-12-26, 10:05 AM
There are a fair few different varieties in various MMO games. As an example there is the Fish Feast from WoW.

tcrudisi
2010-12-26, 12:39 PM
Can I be a slight voice of dissension?

Of course. :)

1. What time is your reception? If it's over a meal-time then your guests are going to be expecting a full meal. Correct me if I'm getting the wrong idea, but these food ideas you've been getting strike me as finger-food things, not a full meal.

This is one thing we are still trying to figure out. However, we are hoping to get enough ideas that we can come up with a full meal based on this. It may not be possible, but that's what we are trying to figure out.

2. What do you plan on doing with the ideas? Someone saying 'mushrooms from Mario' isn't that helpful, I'm assuming that you aren't just going to serve people mushrooms... what's the plan to actually sort out all these foods and serve them.

We have discussed a self-serve buffet. In the case of mushrooms, it's a bit difficult to use, so I doubt we'll go that route. A better example would be the Pac-Man fruit platter. We'd arrange a platter of the fruits from Pac-Man, put a small representation of Pac-Man in front of it, and describe what is in it. Something like "Pac-Man Fruit Platter. *picture of Pac-Man* Contains: bananas, peaches, oranges..." This way for more obscure references, it will say what is in it while combining this with our overall theme.

3. Kids and people with allergies? Thanks - but this has already been considered. We aren't doing a big wedding (quick and dirty estimation right now is 60-70 based on all of the reading we have done and the number of people we are inviting), so it will be people we are very familiar with. I'll still ask about allergies just to play it safe, but obviously any exception might have to be outside the theme. We are okay with that. As for kids, we decided early on not to have them at the wedding or reception. We already know we are going to have a couple of vegans there.

4. Are you going to be doing this yourself or will you have a caterer? Ourselves. However, I did work at a small restaurant as the store manager for 5+ years and I am still on very friendly terms with the owner. So friendly that he's allowing us the use of his catering items.

5. The cake is a lie? Loved it :smallbiggrin: I thought it was hilarious... and will actually be pretty easy to do. ... Consider having an actual cake of some description (or cupcakes) as well as the 'lie' though. I couldn't agree more. In fact, part of the beauty of it is that it'll let us make an elaborate "lie" cake and then serve something a lot easier to make from the back. Although we have never really liked the cake idea at all. She's a big fan of cheesecake, so we will likely end up serving something different as the dessert instead. Or we might end up serving a real cake.

But I do mean that you have to take your guests into consideration and that when it comes to the 'party' part it is more about them than about you. ... I think you'd be better off having a themed food for each table, or doing something like what my husband suggested with the 'one up mushroom steak'.

Thanks for the input. Yes, we will make sure to have enough variety that everyone will enjoy their meal, we just hope to be able to do it within the boundaries we have set. I was thinking "Elder Scrolls Oblivion steak with One-Up Mushroom" sounds like a pretty good meat. :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2010-12-26, 04:25 PM
Might I suggest using this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/annathered/sets/72157620169909136/) idea for a garnish to go with your meal. :smallwink:

RandomNPC
2010-12-26, 07:06 PM
Of course. :)
We aren't doing a big wedding (quick and dirty estimation right now is 60-70 based on all of the reading we have done and the number of people we are inviting)

Danger Will Robinson Danger!

Our wedding was at a mideval fair, they gave us a 75 person seating limit, we invited 85~90 (some family refuses to show up but gets angry if they don't get invited, but I'm sure you know family.)
At the end of the day only about 30 people were offically counted, there were a few more that just walked in because the mideval fair had horrible security, but that's fairly close to accurate.

Lolzords
2010-12-26, 07:57 PM
Root beer! It kills ghosts!

Lady Moreta
2010-12-26, 09:43 PM
This is one thing we are still trying to figure out. However, we are hoping to get enough ideas that we can come up with a full meal based on this. It may not be possible, but that's what we are trying to figure out.

Asthix's burger idea is a great one for this. Especially as you say you're going to be doing it yourself. It's a little bit casual, so that makes it less stressful for arranging, it's fun and easy for people to do - and if there's something they don't like or can't eat they can just leave it off their burger.

Thanks - but this has already been considered. We aren't doing a big wedding (quick and dirty estimation right now is 60-70 based on all of the reading we have done and the number of people we are inviting), so it will be people we are very familiar with. I'll still ask about allergies just to play it safe, but obviously any exception might have to be outside the theme. We are okay with that. As for kids, we decided early on not to have them at the wedding or reception. We already know we are going to have a couple of vegans there.

That's exactly what we did :smallsmile: No kids and only one person was vegetarian and I think we got away easy on the allergy front - no one had any :smallsmile: Just wanted to make sure, since it's easy to forget about it if you're not allergic to anything and will eat pretty much whatever's put in front of you.

Ourselves. However, I did work at a small restaurant as the store manager for 5+ years and I am still on very friendly terms with the owner. So friendly that he's allowing us the use of his catering items.

Well that was nice of him :smallsmile:

I couldn't agree more. In fact, part of the beauty of it is that it'll let us make an elaborate "lie" cake and then serve something a lot easier to make from the back. Although we have never really liked the cake idea at all. She's a big fan of cheesecake, so we will likely end up serving something different as the dessert instead. Or we might end up serving a real cake.

Just go with cheesecake then - that still makes the 'cake' a lie :smallsmile: and you avoid having to go through all the effort to make a fake one. The less work you have to do yourselves the better :smallsmile:

Danger Will Robinson Danger!

Our wedding was at a mideval fair, they gave us a 75 person seating limit, we invited 85~90 (some family refuses to show up but gets angry if they don't get invited, but I'm sure you know family.)
At the end of the day only about 30 people were offically counted, there were a few more that just walked in because the mideval fair had horrible security, but that's fairly close to accurate.

That's why you give people an RSVP date and follow up on those who don't respond by the date. Unfortunately, getting numbers is never an exact science. I am the main organised & number-cruncher for social functions at work and I hate it because inevitably there will be people who change their minds at the last minute or simply don't turn up. Unfortunately, you can't do your numbers based on that though. You have to assume that those who said they'll turn up will turn up.

enigmatime
2010-12-26, 09:59 PM
Paper Mario on the N64 should help. What with the cook.

List:

Mistake
Roasted Shrooms
Super Soda or whatever
Tasty Tonic
Yoshi Cookie
Sea-salt ice cream (Kingdom Hearts)
Moomoo Milk
*Peach* cobbler
and so on

Hope this helps!

Cealocanth
2010-12-26, 11:52 PM
Check out this link. (http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2010/08/13/food-in-video-games/)

Lots of food there, although some of the games may be a bit unrecognizable. Also, if you're willing to foray into the Halloween spectrum a bit, there's braaaaains (pasta salad made with spaghetti dyed pink with beets) for the Left 4 Dead series.

Serpentine
2010-12-27, 12:04 AM
A big Pac-man cake - a yellow cake with a section already cut out of it - and a bunch of cupcakes in a line in front of it. Maybe have the Pac-man Platters interspersed along the line of cupcakes.
Suppose the ghosts could be cakes, too... I dunno, though, maybe they could be different soups, if you can find bowls that work.

Marillion
2010-12-27, 12:51 AM
Blue WarriorWedding guest needs food badly! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMJio2MO6w)

tcrudisi
2010-12-27, 02:24 AM
Check out this link. (http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2010/08/13/food-in-video-games/)

Thanks - and yeah, a couple of those are new to me. That just means I've got some homework to do. :smallcool:

*Peach* cobbler

Hope this helps!

More than you can imagine. For the "Groom's cake" I was wanting to do either a banana pudding or a peach cobbler. You've just given me my second favorite desert as an option. Thank you so much.

And plus, I realize now that I could have made references to Peach from the Mario games and just made it a pun (or maybe that's where this comes from - my fiancée played the N64, not me).

darbythegambler
2010-12-30, 11:34 AM
get cans of soda labeled as E-Tanks :smallbiggrin:

or some pound cake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_x1rRg7mM)

Winthur
2010-12-30, 12:19 PM
I like the E-Tank suggestion, but keep them out in reserve just as long as you can while you whip out the Nuka-Cola.

leakingpen
2010-12-30, 01:44 PM
Rat tail from the first Final Fantasy game. It can be symbolic of your class changer from boyfriend/girlfriend to husband/wife.

oo, i like that.

My suggestion would be to do a build your own burger station with all the toppings arranged vertically, similar to the play screen in Burger Time.

Eggplant of some kind for the Kid Icarus fans. Gold Ring cookies (sugar cookies with a gold rim of frosting) for the sonic fans.

Red and Blue drinks, healing potions and mana potions. (just red and blue party cups might work. )

Christopher K.
2010-12-31, 11:30 PM
I second the e-tank beverage containers. :smalltongue:

Krugg
2011-01-01, 08:29 AM
Wumpa Fruit!!

From Crash Bandicoot!

Have them inside crates

Mando Knight
2011-01-02, 01:39 AM
Wumpa Fruit!!

From Crash Bandicoot!

Have them inside crates
Come now, have a touch more class. Bananas.
And walnuts, peanuts, pineapples, grapes, melons, oranges, and coconuts. :smalltongue:

Because it's on.
Like Donkey Kong.™ Wait, did they actually ever receive that trademark?

pendell
2011-01-02, 10:13 PM
If you have ever played star ocean 3, there are a fantastic amount of items that can be prepared in a workshop with the cooking talent, some with helpful effects and some ... not so much.

See the faq (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/536705-star-ocean-till-the-end-of-time/faqs/60917) for details.

A partial list:

Natto | 20 | | X | | Recovers 30% HP/MP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chopped Steak | 30 | X | | X | Recovers 50% H.P.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold Soba | 30 | X | X | X | Recovers 50% M.P.
Fresh Spring Rolls | 30 | | | | Recovers 50% M.P.
Kimchi | 50 | X | | X | Recovers 50% H.P.
Almond Jelly | 60 | | X | | Recovers 50% H.P.
Fried Turnips | 60 | X | | X | Recovers 50% H.P.
Pear Tart | 70 | | | | Recovers 50% M.P.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

dgnslyr
2011-01-03, 12:55 AM
Hmmm, maybe a rogue-like themed cake? With something fiendish looking depicted? Given the flow of the thread, however, it might be a bit too obscure for most people. I still think that you should describe a roast (or roast-like entree) in the Dwarf Fortress style:

"This is a superbly prepared stack of 10 Whip Vine Flour Roast. It contains minced whip vine flour, minced whip vine flour, whip wine, and Rhesus Macaque Tallow."

Most of the less obscure ones have already been mentioned, nothing has reached my mind at the moment. I do like the idea of Fried Chocobo (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=97), though. I'd recommend that you make sure there's an odd number of wings present, though.

Dihan
2011-01-03, 08:58 AM
Some gummy sweets to represent the Gels from the Tales series. An assortment of mixed berries for Pokemon, you can even have some lava cookies and Old Gateau.

Iguana-on-a-stick! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2011-01-03, 09:19 AM
Bioshock:

If there are going to be alchoholic breverages, you could change the names to the Bioshock drinks (eg. Arcadia merlot, not really sure how you'd change them, though) and serve them (along with chips) in a freezer or cooler shaped like the Circus of Value vending machines from Bioshock.

Pinnacle
2011-01-03, 09:54 AM
Paper Mario on the N64 should help. What with the cook.

Paper Mario recipe list! (http://www.mariowiki.com/recipes)

Call the cheesecake "Couple's Cake".

Make it "Peachy Peach Cobbler".

tcrudisi
2011-01-03, 03:34 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. We both really appreciate the tips. I just want to say - if you can think of any more, keep 'em coming. :smallbiggrin:

Bhu
2011-01-03, 04:09 PM
a few linkies

http://www.techi.com/2010/04/10-sweet-food-items-inspired-by-games/

http://www.snackordie.com/

http://nerdbastards.com/2010/05/03/try-these-video-game-inspired-alcoholic-drinks/

http://mealtimestrategy.blogspot.com/

http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com/

http://wotkk.com/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_240/7143-Press-B-to-Serve

Meg
2011-01-03, 06:12 PM
If you do cupcakes, you could do something like this with them:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/S0ZflymOzdI/AAAAAAAAGiA/MuMr39tp-2Q/s400/Sarah+W.linked.wedding+link+day+of+dead+princess+z elda.jpg
Image courtesy of CakeWrecks (http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/)