PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Bonus Domains?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-25, 05:39 PM
Okay, I'm trying to build a good support character, so I'm looking at a Spontaneous Cloistered Cleric as my chassis. Now, this character is supposed to be a healbot/buffbot, so I am going to be using DMM Chain Spell.

The GM is an absolute stickler for the rules this time, so while I am really wanting to go into RSoP, it eats up a domain slot for Sun, plus ties me into Pelor, meaning I can't take the Celerity and Travel domains like I really want to.

If I decide against going RSoP, I've got another choice...

y'see, I'm going to be needing to be cranking out the healing, and I've been told that this is a magic-item-lite game, meaning I can't rely on being able to get wands of cure x wounds and definitely not belts of healing. Which means I am actually going to either have to blow a Domain on Healing so I automatically get all the Cure spells (plus Heal), or have to blow a bunch of Spells Known on them.

In addition, I'm really wanting to get the Celerity and Travel domains. Celerity because, yanno, Haste. And Travel so I can be the mid-game taxi-cab. I also wouldn't mind picking up either the Mind or Protection domains for Mind Blank.

Point is, how can I get bonus domains on the cheap? Most PrC's give specific domains (RSoP grants either Glory or Purification, Divine Oracle grants the Oracle domain). I know there was a PrC that grants a bonus domain every level, but I don't recall where it came from. Can someone help me with this?

Volthawk
2010-12-25, 05:40 PM
Soveriegn Speaker from Faiths of Eberron is the one that gives loads of domains.

Huh, and more slots to fill with domain spells.

Mordokai
2010-12-25, 05:43 PM
Contemplative from Complete Divine allows you to pick more domains as you gain levels. Pretty sure they have to be the domains sponsored by your deity though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-25, 05:46 PM
Soveriegn Speaker from Faiths of Eberron is the one that gives loads of domains.

Huh, and more slots to fill with domain spells.

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

Contemplative from Complete Divine allows you to pick more domains as you gain levels. Pretty sure they have to be the domains sponsored by your deity though.

Contemplative also requires Knowledge (Religion) 13 ranks. That means 10th level to get into it. I was hoping for something a little... faster.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-25, 06:42 PM
Contemplative also requires Knowledge (Religion) 13 ranks. That means 10th level to get into it. I was hoping for something a little... faster.
Actually, that means 11th level to get in; you need to satisfy the entry requirements before choosing your class, which is the first step of the level advancement process (see Player's Handbook on pages 58-59).

Of course, if you only want a little faster, you could actually get in at 10th level. Take as your 6th and 9th level feats Favored and Primary Contact (Cityscape, page 91) with a contact in an arcane organization. This will give you 1 bonus rank in any Knowledge skill.

Cruiser1
2010-12-25, 06:51 PM
Prestige class "Seeker of the Misty Isle" from Complete Divine grants the Travel domain at first level. You have to be an Elf or Half-Elf, but can take a level in it as early as 6th level due to the 8 levels in Survival skill requirement.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-25, 06:56 PM
Prestige class "Seeker of the Misty Isle" from Complete Divine grants the Travel domain at first level. You have to be an Elf or Half-Elf, but can take a level in it as early as 6th level due to the 8 levels in Survival skill requirement.

But without the Travel domain, Survival is a cross-class skill, meaning you can't get into it for quite some time without dips into other classes.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-25, 07:05 PM
But without the Travel domain, Survival is a cross-class skill, meaning you can't get into it for quite some time without dips into other classes.
There are ways to get there as a straight Cleric.

The Apprentice (woodsman) feat (Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 176) gives Survival as a class skill.
The Arborea planar domain (Spell Compendium, pages 282-283) also adds Survival to your class skill list.
Or you could take Travel, and immediately upon entry into Seeker of the Misty Isle convert the first Travel domain to the Travel Devotion feat, using the rules in Complete Champion.