PDA

View Full Version : 4e Fighter, About Stances?

Tiniere
2010-12-25, 11:55 PM
Hello, a bit late to the whole realm of fourth edition shinanegans, my DnD group has finally agreed to at least give fouth a shot. However, we are having a bit of trouble understanding some of the fighter's class features, the major confusions is concerning...

Stances: Stances appear to be mentioned in a lot of content, Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the Essentials Dungeon Master kit being two that' I've noticed. However, I can't actually find anything about stances in the players handbook. I was wondering if someone could help me out either by directing me to where they are discussed or by giving an explanation here.

Blackfang108
2010-12-25, 11:56 PM
Quick version:
you can only have one stance active at a time.
they last until the end of combat unless otherwise specified.

Honestly, that's really it.

ninja_penguin
2010-12-26, 12:26 AM
Quick version:
you can only have one stance active at a time.
they last until the end of combat unless otherwise specified.

Honestly, that's really it.

Addendum: If you go unconscious, your stance ends, I think.

WitchSlayer
2010-12-26, 12:36 AM

It would be funny to watch a fighter keep his stance while he's unconscious

Blackfang108
2010-12-26, 12:47 AM

I'm not sure if that's specifically stated. It's been a while since I've had to know.

Vitruviansquid
2010-12-26, 05:18 AM
It's mentioned in the list of "Keyword Categories" in the Player's Handbook.

OracleofWuffing
2010-12-26, 05:34 AM
It would be funny to watch a fighter keep his stance while he's unconscious

Presuming you have 999 swords, it shouldn't be too difficult (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saitō_Musashibō_Benkei). :smallcool:

Tengu_temp
2010-12-26, 06:03 AM
Stances appear to be mentioned in a lot of content, Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the Essentials Dungeon Master kit being two that' I've noticed. However, I can't actually find anything about stances in the players handbook.

This is because Essentials is not the same thing as core 4e. The fighter in the former has different stances as a class feature instead of powers.

ShaggyMarco
2010-12-26, 08:23 AM
This is because Essentials is not the same thing as core 4e. The fighter in the former has different stances as a class feature instead of powers.

Except that Stances work exactly the same in Essentials. Fighters just get them as at-wills in Essentials, and pretty much only as Dailies in Core.

Anyway, check the glossary of keywords in whichever source you have.