PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Extra standard actions for Fiendbinder

Flickerdart
2010-12-26, 12:20 AM
I've been looking at the Fiendbinder class (Tome of Magic) lately. The prestige class practically oozes liquid flavour, but it has two things against it. The first is that it requires the truenaming skill, but there's a feat for that.

The second is that it's a standard action to command a fiend under your control. Normally, this limits you to controlling only one fiend at a time, which isn't very cool at all. I am aware of the Necrotic Cyst shenanigans to get a permanent Dominate on them, but that's a little too [Evil] for my liking. Thus, the other solution is to get more standard actions.

The best way for this I've been able to come up with so far is through psionics. Fiendbinder advances arcane casting, but that's nothing creative multiclassing can't solve. Bard 1 with Talfirian Song and Precocious Apprentice qualifies you for the spellcasting requirement of Nar Demonbinder, which you can then advance with Fiendbinder. Ardent fills the gaps (so Bard 1/Ardent 7/Nar Demonbinder 1/Fiendbinder 10/Ardent 1 gets you full Nar Demonbinder casting and as much manifesting as your ML will allow). This gives you access to Schism and Fission, giving you four standard actions with which to command fiends. Eventually. Synchronicity cheese gets tons of standard actions earlier but that's not even remotely RAI.

The other way would be to replace Ardent with Factotum, binge on Font of Inspiration and generate standard actions that way. This has the advantage of being a lot less complicated, but at 3 IP a command you're liable to quickly run dry.

Are there any ways of consistently getting extra standard actions without, ideally, exploiting as many things as I have (or at least not as gratuitously)?

Darrin
2010-12-26, 12:33 AM
Polymorph into a Choker with Assume Supernatural Ability (Quickness).

Flickerdart
2010-12-26, 12:55 PM
Hm, that does work, but Nar Demonbinder doesn't get Polymorph, and another feat cuts into the Font of Inspiration fund.

Aharon
2010-12-26, 01:34 PM
Cheesy, but not [Evil]:
...it says that you can give any command you want to, so my command was "When I snap my fingers, fight those that I designate as enemies (by pointing) to the best of your ability and follow any direct commands that I give you in Common."

(It was used in a ToS match on this board, and none of the DMs intervened, so they either didn't see it or judged it to be legal)

Urpriest
2010-12-26, 02:48 PM
As an advantage to using Factotum, you can get Truespeak without any extra effort.

Keinnicht
2010-12-26, 03:11 PM
You're worried about being evil in the course of using your summoned and bound embodiments of pure evil?

You could just try trying to get the demon to like you so he'd help you regardless of your orders. Admittedly, more difficult since you bound him, but I think it's still theoretically possible.

Flickerdart
2010-12-26, 03:17 PM
You're worried about being evil in the course of using your summoned and bound embodiments of pure evil?

You could just try trying to get the demon to like you so he'd help you regardless of your orders. Admittedly, more difficult since you bound him, but I think it's still theoretically possible.
Why would I forcibly bend the demons to my will if I make them do evil things anyway? Building orphanages with Mariliths is what it's all about.

Darrin
2010-12-26, 03:18 PM
Hm, that does work, but Nar Demonbinder doesn't get Polymorph, and another feat cuts into the Font of Inspiration fund.

Phylactery of Change (11200 GP, A&EG p. 135) can do all-day polymorph up to 7HD. Or just buying a casting of polymorph any object only costs 1200 GP, buy it twice and it's permanent. As for the feat... might have to Chaos Shuffle that one.

There's a soulmeld, Threefold Mask of the Chimera, that can give you an extra standard action at-will, but it has to be bound to your soul chakra, which is only available to 19th level Incarnates. You also can't take any actions the next round, and it's not identified by an status effects that could possibly be negated (such as stunned, dazed, etc.).

Flickerdart
2010-12-26, 11:32 PM
Ah, sweet. With one phylactery for me and one for the duplicate, that's six standard actions per turn, plenty to command a good bunch of fiends.

Darrin
2010-12-27, 12:44 AM
Hmmm... consider starting with a Dvati (Dragon Compendium). Depending on how your DM wants to interpret their abilities, you could start with two standard actions that way.