PDA

View Full Version : Professor Xavion (SoD spoilers)

Supercomputers
2010-12-26, 05:09 AM
In "Start of Darkness" Picard states he is a "low level wizard", yet Picard can cast Astral Projection* a ninth level spell making him at least a 17th level wizard, how is he a "low level wizard"? Is perhaps the Astral projection power not considered by the Giant to be canon due to different continuities or some other reason?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Xavier

Professor X can project his 'astral form' into a psychic 'dimension' known as the 'astral plane.' There, he can use his powers to create objects, control his surroundings, and even control and destroy the astral forms of others. He cannot project this form over long distances.

Kareasint
2010-12-26, 06:40 AM
The Professor could be Psionic also. So, he would use Astral Traveler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralTraveler.htm) instead.

Porthos
2010-12-26, 06:52 AM
You do realize that Capt. Jean-Luc Picard != Professor Xavier != Pofessor Xavion, right?

I would think the fact that Xavion's team was known as the "S-Men" as opposed to the "X-Men" would have been a bit of a tip off, myself.

Well that, and the different names. :smallwink:

EDIT:::

And, just to head off this argument, I will point out that since Professor Xavion was a parody/pastiche of Professor Xavier, it doesn't necessarily follow that Xavion would have the same powers/abilities of Xavier.

Especially when you consider the fact that Xavion states that he isn't a mutant Sorcerer. Unlike the rest of his "S-Men" (which parody/mimic some of the "X-Men" powers). So it stands to reason that if Xavion isn't an S-Man himself, he wouldn't have all of the powers of his X-Man counterpart.

Thus there is no problem to solve here. Professor Xavion, unlike Professor Xavier doesn't have access to anything like Astral Projection.

Of course the fact that Professor Xavion got offed by a simple Lightning Bolt is also probably a clue that he wasn't a 17th level Wizard. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-26, 07:31 AM
Maybe he just had a magical item that allowed him to do that.

NerfTW
2010-12-26, 03:04 PM
Given that we don't see him cast astral projection in the book, what's your point, exactly, besides beating the joke to death?

NegativeFifteen
2010-12-26, 03:17 PM
Hey, Vaarsuvius has meteor swarm and wish, there's bound to be a few mistakes.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-26, 03:23 PM
Hey, Vaarsuvius has meteor swarm and wish, there's bound to be a few mistakes.

Yeah but he never casted either of them. He just has those spells in his spell book.

TreesOfDeath
2010-12-26, 03:28 PM
How does wolverine do bersker rage with a sorcer's bab? WHy would he have weapons implanted hes not proficent in?
Why can cyclops only cast one spell?

Or lets just accept a parody does not equal the real thing

Dr.Epic
2010-12-26, 04:54 PM
How does wolverine do bersker rage with a sorcer's bab?

Having a low BAB does not affect your ability to enter a rage. Also, he could be a battle sorcerer or a rage mage.

Why can cyclops only cast one spell?

Where does it say he can only cast one spell?

Keinnicht
2010-12-26, 06:01 PM
OoTS is not Marvel Canon.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-26, 06:24 PM
OoTS is not Marvel Canon.

Then is it DC?

NerfTW
2010-12-27, 12:29 AM
Then is it DC?

It's not DC canon either. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 07:33 AM
It's not DC canon either. :smalltongue:

Dark Horse or Vertigo (yeah, I know DC owns Vertigo)?

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-27, 11:48 PM
Vaarsuvius has meteor swarm and wish
No he doesn't. Out of frustration, he was just suggesting some of the most powerful spells he could think of to see if there was anything at all that Zz'dtri would trade for. There's no evidence to suggest he can actually cast any of those spells.

factotum
2010-12-28, 02:47 AM
It's a racing certainty that he CAN'T cast those spells--he would be able to use Wish to substitute for his missing Teleport, for a start, so he would have been able to follow the ABD without making his deal with the devil. Furthermore, since he's basically a blaster mage, Meteor Swarm would be one of his go-to spells in any battle situation, yet he never uses that either!

In any case, in order to cast either spell he'd have to be 17th level or higher, and that is certainly not the case.

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-12-28, 06:16 AM
No he doesn't. Out of frustration, he was just suggesting some of the most powerful spells he could think of to see if there was anything at all that Zz'dtri would trade for. There's no evidence to suggest he can actually cast any of those spells.

I'm nit sure of the rules for spellbooks, back when I played my group played fairly fast and loose with fiddly things like that, but is it not possible that V has these spells in his spell book, even if he is unable to cast them (yet)?

I am not aware of anything preventing this being the case.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-28, 08:40 AM

Having a spell in your spell book and being able to cast it are two completely different things.

Nimrod's Son
2010-12-28, 08:54 AM
Having a spell in your spell book and being able to cast it are two completely different things.
So? I was pointing out that V can't cast those spells - as did you a few posts earlier. Have you changed your mind in the meantime? :smallconfused:

NegativeFifteen said that V having Wish was an indicator that there were bound to be mistakes. I said that V doesn't have Wish. If you want to split hairs and say that technically "have" means that it could be written in his spellbook, fine, but that's a level of pedantry I really can't be bothered with. As far as I'm concerned, V doesn't "have" Wish whether it's written in his spellbook or not.

And in any case, we can't assume he does have them written in his book just because he mentioned them in that panel, for the reason I mentioned earlier.