PDA

View Full Version : [3,5] VoP vs Items from nowhere

Fearan
2010-12-26, 10:44 AM
Got a question about infamous Vow of Poverty. Does using class features, that generate virtual equipment (Soulknife's mindblade, or Shadowsmith's...almost every one) counts as violation of VoP?

Eldariel
2010-12-26, 10:48 AM
Got a question about infamous Vow of Poverty. Does using class features, that generate virtual equipment (Soulknife's mindblade, or Shadowsmith's...almost every one) counts as violation of VoP?

Generally no. Those things don't generally have a value and aren't even real items, most of the time. You might be able to find some exception (I don't remember Shadowsmith's wordings right off-hand).

Psyren
2010-12-26, 11:39 AM
It's a grey area... it depends on if you define soulmelds, mindblades and other such things as "material possessions." Pretty much everyone I've seen here has ruled that they are okay though; it's not like VoP is broken.

Lord_Gareth
2010-12-26, 11:41 AM
What about a VoP http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13]Swordmage (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13)?

true_shinken
2010-12-26, 11:58 AM
Generally no. Those things don't generally have a value and aren't even real items, most of the time. You might be able to find some exception (I don't remember Shadowsmith's wordings right off-hand).

Shadowsmith specifically requires you to spend 100gp per weapon IIRC, but it's a ritual, not the cost of the weapon. You could make the ritual then take VoP, I believe.
Actually, I'm not sure shadowsmith makes weapons out of nowhere or infuses shadow into them... so I dunno.

Fearan
2010-12-26, 12:15 PM
Shadowsmith specifically requires you to spend 100gp per weapon IIRC, but it's a ritual, not the cost of the weapon. You could make the ritual then take VoP, I believe.
Actually, I'm not sure shadowsmith makes weapons out of nowhere or infuses shadow into them... so I dunno.

Err, what? Is that 100gp ritual thing in some kind of errata? Because I can't see anything like that in my ToM. Shadowsmith just takes his weapons as a full-round action from the nearest shadow

true_shinken
2010-12-26, 12:38 PM
Err, what? Is that 100gp ritual thing in some kind of errata? Because I can't see anything like that in my ToM. Shadowsmith just takes his weapons as a full-round action from the nearest shadow

I though Shadowsmith was the one from races of destiny and Shadow Blade was the one from Tome of Magic. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Fearan
2010-12-26, 12:41 PM
Actually, ToM has both Shadowblade and Shadowsmith. I found Shadow Sentinel in Races of Destiny - you're right, it has a sword-enchancing ritual - it requires to spend 100 XP

ShriekingDrake
2010-12-26, 07:57 PM
Here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19566734/Vow_of_Poverty--possessing_and_using) is a post that you might find useful.

Runestar
2010-12-26, 08:41 PM
I just assume VOP applies only to the normal gear a character would accrue. So gear simulated by your class would not be affected.

VOP is simply an alternate means of accessing gear anyways, I would use this as a guideline as to how it interacts with features such as ECL. :smallsmile:

Godskook
2010-12-26, 08:45 PM
If it doesn't have a GP value of any sort or even require spending GP to get(like a soulknife's blade), then it definitely does not conflict with VoP. Everything else, YMMV.