PDA

View Full Version : 'World' Events, help? [any]

Anasazi
2010-12-26, 12:05 PM
Greetings Playground,
I'm looking for some thoughts on good classic events that would be viable cross-ruleset for countries of a world to go through. Effects can vary from good to bad, large to small.
Some of the current ones are: Drought, New Trade Routes, Population Growth, Earthquakes, Riots, Political Coup, Closed Boarders, and others of the like.

I'd appreciate any help so thanks for everything and anything Playground!

Tiki Snakes
2010-12-26, 12:12 PM
War. Also Famine and Pestilence.
Organised Crime / Smuggling / Etc (Drug Cartels, people trafficing, etc).

Strawberries
2010-12-26, 12:16 PM
Natural disasters (flooding, volcano eruptions, tsunami).
Dictatorships rise and fall. Regime changes.
Inflaction. Economical crisis.

The news should be a good source for others :smallwink::smallbiggrin:.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-26, 12:22 PM
"Technological" change (could be replaced/supplemented with magical developments)

Discovery/opening of new lands (and all the influx of new goods and diseases that brings)

Infanstructure collapse (ala post fall of the Roman Empire)

Also, try Harry Turtledove's Darkness Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_Series) for an example of what a world war II-like conflict might look like in a world of magic. OR his Case of the Toxic Spelldump (http://www.webscription.net/p-59-the-case-of-the-toxic-spell-dump.aspx) (tried to find a wikipedia article on it, but this is the best I could do) for a magic-rich world similiar to our own.

Anasazi
2010-12-26, 12:35 PM
Awesome!
A few of those I already had on my list, where as others where either entirely new or gave me an idea for a new one.
Went ahead and added 6 new and fresh ideas to the list, but keep 'em coming, I'm shooting for 100 options, and we're at 35 :)

Chilingsworth
2010-12-26, 12:42 PM
Awesome!
A few of those I already had on my list, where as others where either entirely new or gave me an idea for a new one.
Went ahead and added 6 new and fresh ideas to the list, but keep 'em coming, I'm shooting for 100 options, and we're at 35 :)

Could you list the ideas you already have, so we you get fewer repeats?

Strawberries
2010-12-26, 12:48 PM
Could you list the ideas you already have, so we you get fewer repeats?

Yes, please.

Also: groundbreaking scientific/magical discoveries (new means of communications or transportation, the discovery of a cure for a disease and the like).

lord pringle
2010-12-26, 12:48 PM
Taint storms. (Heroes of Horror)
Magical environment changing (complete mage)
Anti-magic pockets.
Random portal openings.

Anasazi
2010-12-26, 12:56 PM
ofcourse!
Internal strife (country breaks into smaller countries), political destablization, political coup-internal, political coup-external, war-attacker, war-defender, drought, small storm, large storm (storms are unspecific as to allow for multiple regions and different types of storms), open trade routes, traveling bazaar, closed boarders, arson, population growth, earthquake, volcanic erruption, fertile season, industrial/military surplus, mother natures vengeance (creatures, weather, etc go crazy), the 'gods' visit, portal of the damned(portal to inverse nation opens), gathering of the powers(political leaders meet), plague, religious turmoil, riot, new political leader, war veteran takes command, young tactician takes command, soul's triumph (positive energy everywhere, good nature to all), dread (opposite of souls triumph), famine, crime syndication, flood, economic collapse, technology upgrade, new national product, lose a national product, technological degrade.

bit of a nice list going on there :)

Volthawk
2010-12-28, 04:23 PM
Planar Rifts are always fun.

BridgeCity
2010-12-28, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure this wasn't on the list: as a flip side to gods visit, the gods seemingly dissapear

Anasazi
2010-12-30, 02:39 AM
portal of the damned is pretty close to what you would come to expect from planar rifts but a great thought.

gods abandon the area, i like it. ill add it, thanks!

still looking for more if anyone has any ideas!

balistafreak
2010-12-30, 02:45 AM
Etherwind. (http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Etherwind)

@#$! Etherwind and those pesky mutations. :smallamused:

Excession
2010-12-30, 02:48 AM
Death of a monarch. Leads to state funeral, attempts to raise the monarch from the dead or animate the royal corpse, period of national mourning, intrigue among the heirs, coronation parties.

Derjuin
2010-12-30, 02:58 AM
Continental fracturing (the continents begin to split apart), sudden plantlife growth/eradication, widespread cult formation, creature threatening the existence of the world appears, things start warping in Farplane-esque ways (slow at first); I could think of more but my mind isn't working efficiently tonight... :smalltongue:

Edit: Country/State/Group with large amount of influence suddenly disappears, a new Demigod is created, a beneficial/malicious enchantment befalls the world, discoveries reveal planet is not what everyone thought it was (ex. planet was built as a weapon against a nigh-unstoppable creature).

Dexam
2010-12-30, 03:00 AM
Mass immigration/refugees (i.e. population arriving).
Mass emmigration/exodus (i.e. population leaving).
Large-scale bushfires/wildfires (particularly devastating in agricultural/forest nations).
Plague of <insert creature of choice>.
Tsunami (combination earthquake/tidal wave).
Signs/fulfillment of ancient prophecies (good or bad).
Awakening of Ye Olde Ancient Beast of Doom (e.g. Godzilla, Tarrasque, C'Thulhu, Kraken).
Asteriod/meteor impact.

Fable Wright
2010-12-30, 03:04 AM
New Gods appear to followers, discovery of army underground (for example, ancient golem army, undead army, etc.) (not necessarily attacking, but could attack), rise of a new archmage, appearance of new monster tribes, ancient ruins uncovered, disease thought cured starts infecting once more, ancient country rises from the sea, Barlog or other fiend is discovered underground, a flying city is discovered, arcane leyline or node is discovered in critical location, people have started spontaneously combusting without a mage, a thrall herd or group thereof have gained control over people within a country, new government measures are implemented, terrorism happens, a new arcane weapon (possibly locate city bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10062431&postcount=16)) is used/developed, mages suddenly lose magic, people develop magic resistance or spellcasting, dragons suddenly appear/disappear, souls no longer go to the afterlife, undead spontaneously animate in graveyards all over the country, random dead people are brought back to life, pun-pun is created, a new warlord rises that isn't affiliated to a country, fire elementals spontaneously enter the plane for no reason, the loss of a major water source (such as a lake), a new country rises, an artifact is discovered or made, someone creates a new form of life, epic heroes rise, and a new form of magic is created/discovered (such as magic or incarnum).

Curious
2011-01-01, 06:50 AM
Invasion by the forces of another planet in the solar system, if you are willing to detail them.

Amiel
2011-01-01, 06:51 AM
A protogenos (incapably ancient and powerful primal elementals) is driven by a singular goal, to drown the world, and labours to submerge the planet under tsunamis of such immensity that the waves dwarf even the highest mountains.

To this end, he unravels the restrictive magic placed on decanters of endless water and summons permanent portals to the Elemental Plane of Water at impossible heights, causing colossal waterfalls to cascade upon the ground below.

In the oceanic depths, he fractures the earth's tectonic plates, sending rippling underwater quakes and accompanying rogue waves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave) that devastate entire continents.

He takes the appropriate though uncreative appellation, Drown-the-World.