PDA

View Full Version : Best Geek Date Movie?

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 06:36 PM
Personally, I'd say Stardust is a good one. It's a solid high fantasy romantic comedy, what could be better for the perfect evening of nerdy love?

What do you guys think? What's the best geek date movie?

Mikeavelli
2010-12-26, 06:42 PM
Ninja Assassin.

Comet
2010-12-26, 07:01 PM
Scott Pilgrim is definetly up there somewhere on the Geek Love list.

Thufir
2010-12-26, 07:15 PM
I realise this is not a particularly helpful answer, but: it really depends on the geeks in question. There is a greatvariety of geeks in the world, all with differing likes and dislikes, so there's no definitive, universal best geek date movie.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 07:48 PM
I realise this is not a particularly helpful answer, but: it really depends on the geeks in question. There is a greatvariety of geeks in the world, all with differing likes and dislikes, so there's no definitive, universal best geek date movie.

I know (and you have a valid point), but I'm asking in a more general sense: movies that have the perfect blend of romance and geek appeal.

thorgrim29
2010-12-26, 07:50 PM
Princess Bride? LOTR extended edition (3 of them), Firefly (you can get at least 5 dates out of that, 6 if you include Serenity), anything with a rifftrax

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 08:01 PM
Princess Bride?

How in God's name did I forget that one? Amazing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-12-26, 08:31 PM
Scott Pilgrim is definetly up there somewhere on the Geek Love list.
My very first thought.

And I thoroughly second/third Princess Bride. And Firefly.

Amiel
2010-12-26, 08:47 PM
The LoTR movie marathon; it'd be a test of endurance for you and your loved one, for no rest breaks will be allowed :smalltongue:

You may want to throw in a horror movie in there somewhere; speaking from experience, the girl will first hold your hand (well, when I say that, I mean squeeze your hand like a vice so your circulation is cut off), and then sit on you so you can hold her.

A Doctor Who series marathon or movie perhaps, and possibly also the Story of Beatrix Potter.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-26, 09:05 PM
Watched Marble Hornets with my girlfriend. That was awesome. Big Lebowski is up there also. :smallcool:

Saint GoH
2010-12-26, 09:11 PM
How did it take till the 4th 9th post to mention Doctor Who? AMAZING.

Also Firefly comes up a close second.

Szilard
2010-12-26, 10:58 PM
Star Wars episode V.
That is all.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-26, 11:06 PM
I second (or third or whatever) Princess Bride, Scott Pilgrim, and Stardust. Of course the Lord of the Rings trilogy works as well, but they're a little heavier. Nerdy-romantic-comedy-type movies are better for dates, I find. But that could be because I like nerdy romantic comedies, they make me happy. The LotR movies are great, but they don't fill me with joy the way those other movies do. Your mileage may vary.

Sleverin
2010-12-26, 11:12 PM
Across the Universe for the Beatles dorks? I mean if you love the Beatles that much of course.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-27, 12:10 AM
I really do need to see Scott Pilgrim. Is it out on DVD yet?

Amiel
2010-12-27, 12:13 AM
Indeed, it is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World#Home_media)!

Psyren
2010-12-29, 09:32 AM
Scott Pilgrim
Inception's got a great love story buried in all the action and mindscrew too.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-29, 11:28 AM
Any of the recent good Marvel films:

-Spider-Man
-Iron Man (maybe the sequel too, it wasn't all that bad)
-The Incredible Hulk
-the first two X-Men films

Hadessniper
2010-12-30, 12:16 AM
My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, or really anything by Hayao Miyazaki.

John Cribati
2010-12-30, 12:51 AM
Juno, while not a real "geek" movie, is nice and quirky enough to be enjoyable. I'd watch it for the Thundercats reference alone, TBH.

chiasaur11
2010-12-30, 01:57 AM
I really do need to see Scott Pilgrim. Is it out on DVD yet?

Yup. (http://www.amazon.ca/Scott-Pilgrim-World-Michael-Cera/dp/B0041T52S6/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1293692216&sr=1-2)

BarroomBard
2010-12-30, 02:10 AM
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Fifth Element (although that might just be me)

Avilan the Grey
2010-12-30, 02:13 AM
<Legion Voice>As said above, we are all Geek, and we are all Different </Legion Voice>

I am a (classic) cartoon geek. Tangled or Enchanted would definitely work for me.
(On the other hand two hours of "The Chronological Donald" would work for me too).

Scott Pilgrim (comic or movie) have I never liked; there is really nothing that appeal to me in it.

Other good ones for me would be Princess Bride, Galaxy Quest, Ferris...

chiasaur11
2010-12-30, 02:16 AM
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Depends on the girl for those, I figure. I mean, ace films, but part of the aceosity is the gore, so it'd be best to map the territory first. I mean, applies for any movie, sure, but those more than average, if I make myself clearish.

eggynack
2010-12-30, 02:22 AM
My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, or really anything by Hayao Miyazaki.

This*infinity. Apart from the aforementioned Spirited Away, I am particularly fond of Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Hadessniper
2010-12-30, 04:36 AM
This*infinity. Apart from the aforementioned Spirited Away, I am particularly fond of Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Kiki's Delivery Service would make a fantastic date movie, but while I think Princess Mononoke is a great flick, it might be a little too heavy to make a good date movie. That and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind are the only ones I would hesitate to watch on a date.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-30, 10:26 AM
Any given episode of (or movie that's been featured on) Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-30, 10:18 PM
Any given episode of (or movie that's been featured on) Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Or Rifftrax, which is basically the present-day incarnation of MST3K

ExtravagantEvil
2011-01-03, 09:13 PM
I hope I'm not the only one to opt that this film be watched with your significant other at some point. Gamers: Dorkness Rising (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Gamers_Dorkness_Rising/70104325?trkid=2361637#height2475)
Depending on her interests, though I think nearly any nerd will find this movie funny, regardless of the focal point of their geekdom :smallsmile:.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-03, 09:34 PM
I hope I'm not the only one to opt that this film be watched with your significant other at some point. Gamers: Dorkness Rising (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Gamers_Dorkness_Rising/70104325?trkid=2361637#height2475)
Depending on her interests, though I think nearly any nerd will find this movie funny, regardless of the focal point of their geekdom :smallsmile:.

Could someone provide a link to a sit that doesn't require a membership?

ExtravagantEvil
2011-01-03, 10:40 PM
Could someone provide a link to a sit that doesn't require a membership?

Oh, I'm sorry about that :smallredface:. Here's a better link I hope
Gamers: Dorkness Rising (http://deadgentlemen.com/projects/the-gamers/the-gamers-dorkness-rising/)

Starbuck_II
2011-01-03, 10:48 PM
I loved Gamers 2. I can see it as a Date movie.

Brother Oni
2011-01-04, 02:42 PM
Apart from the aforementioned Spirited Away, I am particularly fond of Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Why not Spirited Away? Admittedly it's very heavy on Japanese folklore, but there's enough non-cultural specific material that someone not completely allergic to foreign films would appreciate.

Kiki's Delivery Service would make a fantastic date movie, but while I think Princess Mononoke is a great flick, it might be a little too heavy to make a good date movie. That and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind are the only ones I would hesitate to watch on a date.

I'd personally add Pom Poko to that list as well, unless your date isn't at all squeamish about genitalia. :smalltongue:

mangosta71
2011-01-04, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna have to throw another vote at The Princess Bride. Seriously, if there's any chemistry between you two at all, something will happen while you're watching it.

Keld Denar
2011-01-04, 02:53 PM
The Guild marathon? Great for any MMO couple who wants to poke fun at their favorite genre. Felicia Day is HAWT!

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 03:06 PM
The Guild marathon? Great for any MMO couple who wants to poke fun at their favorite genre. Felicia Day is HAWT!

I just saw you white text after I quoted you, lol. Yes, yes she is.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 04:40 PM

What's that other Felicia Day webseries? It was done by Joss Whedon. It had Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion. It was a musical. Maybe a sing-along. I can't remember the name. Sarcasm folks!

Morph Bark
2011-01-04, 04:46 PM
What's that other Felicia Day webseries? It was done by Joss Whedon. It had Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion. It was a musical. Maybe a sing-along. I can't remember the name.

I think it was also a blog. You forgot to mention that. WINK

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 04:49 PM
I think it was also a blog. You forgot to mention that. WINK

It wasn't a blog. It was a webseries. Stop trying to confuse me. Wink.

mangosta71
2011-01-04, 04:55 PM
What's that other Felicia Day webseries? It was done by Joss Whedon. It had Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion. It was a musical. Maybe a sing-along. I can't remember the name.

I think one of them was a doctor, or something. Like, he had a degree in...pediatrics? And the other was an admiral? His spaceship was called the Screwdriver iirc.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 05:10 PM
This thread has gotten hilarious. I love you people, I want you to know that.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 05:22 PM
I think one of them was a doctor, or something. Like, he had a degree in...pediatrics? And the other was an admiral? His spaceship was called the Screwdriver iirc.

Yeah, and there was this animal who ran some league. I think it was evil. The Malevolent Clan of Badness maybe. And I think the animal's name was Not Good Pony. Something like that. Sarcasm!

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 06:22 PM
Yeah, and there was this animal who ran some league. I think it was evil. The Malevolent Clan of Badness maybe. And I think the animal's name was Not Good Pony. Something like that. Sarcasm!

You seem to having a tough time remembering. If only there were, for instance a singing cowboy telegram to remind you...

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-01-04, 08:11 PM
You mean, like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui337e5D50E)

JonestheSpy
2011-01-04, 08:25 PM
Dude, Princess Bride is way too easy. Everybody likes it, there's no geek cred there. Might as well watch Casablanca or When Harry Met Sally.

No, what you want is Ladyhawke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwZElGsEGw).

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-04, 09:19 PM
You mean, like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui337e5D50E)

Not... exactly, no...o_o

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 09:23 PM
Troll 2, the Room, or Battlefield Earth. The perfect films you and your significant other can riff.

Semidi
2011-01-04, 09:41 PM
Some others:

Labyrinth (as long as you don't mind your SO falling for David Bowie), The Dark Crystal, Legend...

Dr.Epic
2011-01-04, 10:06 PM
Legend...

Yeah, there's nothing quite as awesome as Tim Curry as a giant horned demon.

Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-04, 10:44 PM
Oh, I think The New Guy is a good geek movie.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-05, 09:04 PM
Troll 2, the Room, or Battlefield Earth. The perfect films you and your significant other can riff.

That's always fun, especially if you and your significant other are the snarky type. In the same vein, I think someone may have mentioned it already, but anything by Rifftrax is another good one.

Labyrinth (as long as you don't mind your SO falling for David Bowie)

I don't think not watching Labyrinth is going to stop anyone from falling for David Bowie. :smalltongue:

Also, [insert Naruto Abridged reference here]