PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Tricks

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 06:43 PM
So, in the course of my most recent archive trawl (while making the character list for the OotS Heal/Hurt Game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181196)) I passed through the strips involving the Bag of Tricks (the bag that you can pull animals from). I'm new to DnD, and I was just wondering if the Bag is a real magic item, or just one made up for the strip.

Also, if the Mods feel this would be better suited for the Roleplaying Games forum, feel free to move it; I wasn't certain where it should go.

Thanatosia
2010-12-26, 07:43 PM
While I don't have the books at hand, I'm pretty sure I recall the Bag of Tricks as a real item, if not from 3.5ed, then a previous DMG or official sourcebook.

archon_huskie
2010-12-26, 07:47 PM
indeed it is.

SRD link (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsWI.html#bag-of-tricks)

dragonsamurai77
2010-12-26, 07:48 PM
It absolutely is a real item, and comes in 3 different types, each with stronger animals: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofTricks

Supercomputers
2010-12-26, 07:49 PM
It's actually moderately more useful than oots depicts.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-12-26, 07:51 PM
Neat. Sometime down the road, when I DM, I feel like I must integrate this into my campaign :smallbiggrin:

Thanatosia
2010-12-26, 10:12 PM
It's actually moderately more useful than oots depicts.
Yeah, looks like the SRD version has the animal obeying the bag holders commands for 10min, which could be much more useful then the ways we've seen Roy employ it thus far.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it exists in D&D. I always wondered could you eat the animals you pull out and have an endless source of food?

Swordpriest
2010-12-27, 02:00 PM
I'm too lazy to check through the comic archive at the moment -- did the bag of tricks just get left on the field outside Azure City, or was there some sign of Haley picking it up?

Thanatosia
2010-12-27, 02:16 PM
Yeah, it exists in D&D. I always wondered could you eat the animals you pull out and have an endless source of food?
Given that the animals vanish after 10min, probably not a great source of sustainance, but potentialy a great diet program (Butchering, cooking, and eating in under 10min is kind of a strict timetable though).

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 03:17 PM
Given that the animals vanish after 10min, probably not a great source of sustainance, but potentialy a great diet program (Butchering, cooking, and eating in under 10min is kind of a strict timetable though).

What if your metabolism and digestive system are so advanced you can pass the critter right through your system and gain substance from it in 10 minutes?

Volthawk
2010-12-27, 03:40 PM

Well, the 10 animals a week limitation is a bit of a problem for that scheme.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 03:53 PM
Well, the 10 animals a week limitation is a bit of a problem for that scheme.

With a crazy digestive system like that who says it's not impossible to survive on only 10 meals a day which consists on a single small animal?:smallamused:

Volthawk
2010-12-27, 03:55 PM
With a crazy digestive system like that who says it's not impossible to survive on only 10 meals a day which consists on a single small animal?:smallamused:

If you have a crazy digestive system.

Really, there are better ways. Say, a box or two of Everlasting Rations.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 04:01 PM
If you have a crazy digestive system.

Really, there are better ways. Say, a box or two of Everlasting Rations.

Don't bring your rationale into this conversation.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-12-27, 04:26 PM
What if your metabolism and digestive system are so advanced you can pass the critter right through your system and gain substance from it in 10 minutes?

No, because as summoned creatures, they poof out of existence once they die. That's what my DM told me when the party wanted some bacon after the boar I summoned triggered some sort of Fling-You-Across-The-Room trap.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 04:27 PM
No, because as summoned creatures, they poof out of existence once they die. That's what my DM told me when the party wanted some bacon after the boar I summoned triggered some sort of Fling-You-Across-The-Room trap.

Don't bring your rationale into this conversation.

I think I answered that.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-12-27, 04:51 PM
I think I answered that.

More like "Don't bring your rationale into this conversation, NERD!"

Dr.Epic
2010-12-27, 05:12 PM
More like "Don't bring your rationale into this conversation, NERD!"

Your obscure Strong Bad reference does not impress me.

MoonCat
2010-12-27, 05:42 PM
I know it's totally different from DnD, but in NetHack the Bag of Tricks exists, but has a limited number of charges, so it is a supply of food only a certain amount of times.

Red XIV
2010-12-27, 11:12 PM
Well you could strip meat off the animal without killing it.

Swordpriest
2010-12-27, 11:23 PM
Well you could strip meat off the animal without killing it.

True, but .... yuck. :smalleek:

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-27, 11:55 PM
True, but .... yuck. :smalleek:

It doesn't make it any less a reliable source of food, as much as using a Tarrasque regenerating from 0 Hitpoints as an indestructable home is usefull and possibly as yuck-y.

bdh5533
2010-12-28, 02:51 AM
I guess Rich must be using rule of funny on this bag, from all the animals we've seen from roy's bag, this bag would need to be a combination of all 3 versions of this item.