PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Quirks (Level 1 Feats) (Updates!, PEACH)

arguskos
2010-12-26, 10:03 PM
So, I don't know about you guys, but I personally like giving lots of feats to my players. I use an enhanced feat scheme (given at 1, 2, 4, 6, and every even level thereafter). Recently, I was struck with the idea to grant a unique feat slot to all characters (and NPCs, but that's just me) called the "Quirk", a feat slot for those feats that read "can only be taken at 1st level". However, there aren't too many of those feats, so I decided to make a few extras. They follow.

These all have the unique tag of [1st], which is just shorthand for myself. Assume that said tag translates into "can only be taken at 1st level" for the prerequisites, since I don't want to type that for every feat! Unless noted, all the following feats are assumed to be Supernatural abilities. Quirks are optional, so a character does not have to select one at 1st level, though it's highly recommended.

Please, I welcome your feedback/constructive criticism/enjoyment, so have at it!

The Feats
Power in the Blood [1st]
You have the ancient and rare gift of blood power, and have trained yourself to use blood in place of expending magic, but at a terrible cost.
Prerequisites: Must be a spellcaster.
Benefits: You may add a unique somatic component to spells you cast, by drawing your own blood. Using a slashing or piercing weapon, you may deal yourself 6 points of damage per level of the spell (3 for a 0th level slot) and not expend the spell slot once the spell is cast. If the spell is disrupted for any reason (failed Concentration check from distractions, spell failure from armor, any similar reason), the slot is lost and you still take the damage. You may use this ability 1/day per five character levels you have attained. This ability extends the spell's casting time to 1 full-round, and cannot be used for still spells or quickened spells.

Bleeding Strike [1st]
As a young warrior, you learned how to make your foes suffer with a vicious, semi-magical strike.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1
Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a slashing melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they suffer a horrible bleeding wound that deals 1 hp/4 character levels you have per round until they receive magical healing, a Heal check (DC 10+character level), or they die. This ability cannot be used against creatures that do not bleed (here defined as most undead and constructs, though the DM is the final arbiter in a dispute). This damage does not stack with itself, and can only be used every 1d4 rounds.
Special: Unlike normal Heal checks, which are implied to be used on someone else, the Heal check called for by this feat can be performed by the bleeding creature at no penalty.

Eidetic Memory [1st]
You never forget a face. Or anything else, for that matter.
Benefits: You gain a +1 innate bonus to Knowledge checks and a +4 innate bonus to any check to remember something. Additionally, you are immune to any magical attempt to modify your memory (such as a modify memory or mindrape spell). This is an extraordinary ability.

Sneak Attack Focus [1st]
You have trained and trained with your sneak attacking ability, and now you are skilled above and beyond your peers.
Prerequisites: Sneak attack +1d6, Dexterity 15+
Benefits: Whenever you successfully make a sneak attack, you deal an extra +1d6 damage. For example, Bob the 1st level rogue sneak attacks Jim, the 1st level commoner. Bob has Sneak Attack Focus, and so deals +2d6 damage with his sneak attack, instead of +1d6. This damage is added to your sneak attack, and cannot be used to qualify for feats, prestige classes, equipment, or anything else.
Special: It is recommended that this feat be renamed Precision Focus and permitted to function with Skirmish and Sudden Strike as well, but the author recognizes not everyone uses said mechanisms, and so it's not part of the basic feat.

Mind Over Matter [1st]
Through rigorous discipline and intense study of anatomy and magic, you have developed the ability to heal your own wounds.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 15+
Benefits: You gain a pool of healing you can use to heal yourself with each day. This pool of healing has a number of hp equal to 2+your Wisdom modifier times your character level (ie. (2+Wis mod)xlevel). To use this healing requires a Concentration check (DC 15+the number of points you wish to use) and a standard action. If you succeed on the check, you heal the desired amount. If you fail, you don't heal. Regardless of the results of the check, you can only call upon this feat once per hour.
Special: This feat was written with the author's campaigns in mind, where healing is fairly cheap. If your games are stricter with healing, then dropping the health pool to (1+Wis mod)xlevel or even just 2 times character level would be appropriate. Less than 2 times character level is unadvised, due to that being a very small number.

Stunning Strike [1st]
Using a blunt weapon, you can stun your opponents with a single mighty swing.
Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a bludgeoning melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they are stunned for 1 round. This ability can only be used every 1d4 rounds.

Sight Beyond Sight [1st]
You have the supernatural ability to see that which should be beyond your vision.
Benefits: Anytime you attack an opponent with concealment, you roll the miss chance dice twice instead of once, and take the more favorable result.
Special: Sight Beyond Sight counts as Blind-Fight for all purposes, including qualifying for equipment, prestige classes, and other feats.

Impossible Shot [1st]
Your marksmanship is legend, even now, and you can make shots others deem impossible.
Prerequisites: Proficient with bows or crossbows, Dexterity 15+
Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, while wielding a bow or crossbow, you may as a full-round action ignore all concealment and cover, up to and including total cover, for a single attack, made at your highest attack bonus.
Special: It is recommended that this feat be permitted to apply to firearms as well, if such are used in your campaigns.

Legendary Shot
Your mastery of ranged weapons is so amazing, you can perform feats of skill even heroes and creatures of legend dare not attempt.
Prerequisites: Impossible Shot, BAB +6, Dexterity 19+
Benefits: You can use Impossible Shot once per day per character level. Additionally, you now use Impossible Shot as an attack action, instead of as a full-round action, permitting use of Impossible Shot in full attacks.

Note: This feat isn't a [1st] feat, but it builds on one, and so I included it here, thanks to feedback from ericgrau and others.

Thunderstomp [1st]
Your footsteps are as thunder.
Prerequisites: Strength 17+
Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, you may stomp the ground in fury. This stomp forces all creatures in a 10-ft radius of you to make Balance checks (DC 10+your strength modifier) or fall prone. You are immune to your own stomp.

Blood of the Blade Lords [1st]
You were infused at birth with a drop of blood spilled by one of the Blade Lords, granting you a unique skill with a specific weapon type.
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Strength or Dexterity 15+ (depends on weapon type selected, Swords/Axes/Hammers/Polearms are Strength, Bows/Projectiles/Chains are Dexterity)
Benefits: Select a weapon type (Swords, Axes, Hammers, Bows, Projectiles, Chains, or Polearms). You are proficient with all weapons of that type (ask your DM for specific cases, though the Gyrspike is specially called out as existing in no category) and no others. This feat overrides all existing weapon proficiencies. You gain a limited version of your Blade Lord's special attack, outlined below:

Swords: You gain the power to swing your blade with such fury that you duplicate the Flurry of Swords ability from your Blade Lord. 1/day/5 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus and all targets in a 50 ft long line emanating out from you must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or suffer an automatic critical hit. If a creature makes the save, they suffer only normal damage (not a critical hit).
Axes: You have learned to focus your anger into the blood of your Blade Lord, fueling it and driving your attacks. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can add your Strength to your attacks as an extra bonus to damage. Note that this is your Strength score, not the modifier, but the full score.
Hammers: Your blood grants you the power of your patron to defeat magic. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can declare a dispelling strike. You make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus, and if you hit, the target of your attack is subject to a dispel magic-like effect (Caster Level=your character level, max 15).
Bows: You gain the power of your Blade Lord to rain death upon your foes. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you may make a ranged attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack has no target, instead affecting everyone in a 10-ft square. Anyone in that square whose AC you beat with your attack is affected as if you shot them directly.
Projectiles: You gain the power of your Blade Lord's shield, the power of the reflecting block. 1/day/4 character levels as an immediate action, you may declare a reflecting block against an incoming projectile attack (this can be magical or not). You make a Reflex save (DC=their attack roll). If you make the save, the projectile is reflected back towards the attacker, who rerolls against themselves.
Chains: You can entangle your opponents with your chains, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus. The target of your attack must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or become entangled by a ghostly shadow of your weapon. The entanglement lasts for 1d4 rounds. If they make the save or you miss, the ability is not wasted and they are not entangled.
Polearms: Your reach is supernaturally long, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can extend your reach by 5 ft for one round.

Special: This requires a bit of familiarity with my Blade Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146964) project. By the by, please don't necro that thread. :smallsmile: Additionally, Blood of the Blade Lords counts as the entire Weapon Focus tree (here defined as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and the Greater versions of both) for purposes of prerequisites for prestige classes, feats, and equipment.

Spell Thematics [1st]
You have an inherent twist to your spells that can't be duplicated, and makes it hard for others to understand what you're casting.
Benefits: Choose a thematic style, such as Skulls, Fire, or Butterflies. All spells you cast now use that thematic style instead of whatever their normal visual manifestation is. The Spellcraft DC to identify your spells increases by 2. Additionally, the energy type of all your spells with an energy type changes to a single type that matches your thematic choice, declared when you select this feat (this change is mandatory). For example, if your thematic style is Spheres, you might choose Cold, since Cold is the energy type associated with Elemental Water in D&D.
Special: This is my rewrite of the Spell Thematics feat. I never liked the one in PGtF all that much, but the idea is so awesome, it makes me smile. The wording is rough, but I feel like the idea is good.

Thoughthammer [1st, Psionic]
You share a mental connection with a great psion of old, and can channel his will through yourself.
Prerequisites: Must have power points
Benefits: You can manifest a unique mental attack called the thoughthammer. The thoughthammer is a full-round action, costs 1 power point, and can be augmented up to 1 power point/character level (ie. total pp=character level). The thoughthammer affects a single target, which must make a Will save (DC 10+number of points expended) or suffer 1 Wisdom damage per 3 character levels. You suffer 1 point of Wisdom damage as well, for channeling the ancient psion's power is strenuous.

Altering the Deal [1st]
"But you said we had a deal!"
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
-Amon being told what the score is by a binder with Altering the Deal
Prerequisites: Soul binding
Benefits: When binding a vestige with an ability that has a cooldown measured in rounds, you may give up access to one ability of that vestige in exchange for reducing that cooldown by 1 round/4 character levels. This decision must be made when you bind that vestige each day. You may only use this feat once per vestige, but may apply it to any number of vestiges each day. For example, Kratak the 8th level Binder binds Paimon and Amon. He chooses to sacrifice access to Paimon's Whirlwind Attack to reduce the cooldown time on Dance of Death, and to sacrifice access to Amon's Darkvision to reduce the cooldown time on Fire Breath. The cooldown on both abilities is reduced by 2 for Kratak for the next 24 hours only.

Legacy of the Void [1st]
Your soul courses with the power of the inbetween places that man was never meant to know or realize.
Prerequisites: Must have access to mysteries
Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. 1/day/2 character levels, as an immediate action, you may sacrifice one use of an apprentice mystery to gain an insight bonus to your next saving throw or skill check equal to the level of the mystery sacrificed. As you grow in power, so does your connection to the void. At 7th level, you may sacrifice an initiate mystery instead, but doing so takes two of your daily uses of this feat, and at 13th level, you may sacrifice a master mystery, but doing so takes three of your daily uses of this feat. As a special use of the feat, you may sacrifice a fundamental (spell level 0 gives a bonus of +1 in this case). Doing so does not take a daily use of this feat.

Shadows of Truth [1st]
Your words have shadows, and like your own, have a life of their own.
Prerequisites: Must have access to mysteries, Charisma 15+
Benefits: You are a smooth talker, able to convince anyone of anything, but this ability has a price. Anytime you use a mystery, you gain an insight bonus to your next Bluff, Intimidate, or Diplomacy check equal to the level of the mystery. However, your shadow (which is always a bit off, as per standard shadowcaster rules) mimics your words mockingly. Anyone who makes a DC 20+mystery level Spot check can see the deception for what it is, and you do not gain the bonus to that check. You cannot benefit from this feat more than once per check, and if you would have multiple bonuses to the check you instead take the higher one.
Special: Still Mystery specifically stills your shadow when casting a mystery. If you use a bonus to a check that was granted by a stilled mystery, your shadow is stilled for that check as well. It behooves players to keep track of where their bonuses come from if using Still Mystery.

Contorted Soul [1st]
Your body is lithe and your soul mirrors your flesh in this regard.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+, Non-good alignment
Benefits: You have great manual dexterity, and for some unclear reason, your morality is just as fluid. You are always treated as whatever alignment is beneficial to you at that moment (ie. detect alignment spells always detect you as the most innocuous alignment, the holy word line always treats you as the best possible alignment for the results of the spell, etc). However, should you ever reveal your deception to someone, you lose access to this feat for 1 day, as the powers that grant you this evasion of the soul resent such behavior.
Special: Normally, I shy away from alignment restrictions on feats, but in this case, it seemed necessary. You can remove the alignment restriction if you wish, but I suggest leaving it or at least replacing it with something else thematically appropriate.

Feat Name [1st, xxx]
Flavor text.
Prerequisites:
Benefits:
Normal:
Special:

I welcome your own 1st level feats, and will post them up here in a spoiler. I intend to make more (mostly from other 3.5 feats, but might make my own too), so I'll probably update this over time with new feats.

Samm
2010-12-26, 10:39 PM
Okay, this is pretty interesting idea. I like most of these feats actually. They give characters a nice speciality. Also, flavour wise, most of these are good.

Other than that, I've got a few comments on some of your abilities.

Impossible Shot [1st]
Your marksmanship is legend, even now, and you can make shots others deem impossible.
Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, while wielding a bow or crossbow, you may as a full-round action ignore all concealment and cover for a single attack, made at your highest attack bonus.
Special: It is recommended that this feat be permitted to apply to firearms as well, if such are used in your campaigns.

Although this is a nice ability, I do believe it's far from unique. If I recall correctly, the feat Improved Precise Shot allows you to do this better, as a normal attack. However, the prerequisites are rather steep, requiring you to be level 11.

Another comment, why shouldn't this apply to thrown weapons and other ranged weapons?

Fable Wright
2010-12-27, 12:58 AM
The Feats
Power in the Blood [1st]
You have the ancient and rare gift of blood power, and have trained yourself to use blood in place of expending magic, but at a terrible cost.
Benefits: You may add a unique somatic component to spells you cast, by drawing your own blood. Using a slashing or piercing weapon, you may deal yourself 6 points of damage per level of the spell (3 for a 0th level slot) and not expend the spell slot once the spell is cast. If the spell is disrupted for any reason (failed Concentration check from distractions, spell failure from armor, any similar reason), the slot is lost and you still take the damage. You may use this ability 1/day per five character levels you have attained. This ability extends the spell's casting time to 1 full-round, and cannot be used for still spells or quickened spells.
I would recommend making this unable to be used for healing spells or spells that grant temporary hit points. With a divine caster, from 4th level on (2nd level if they get Augment Healing, 3rd if they have Healing Domain, 1st if they have both), they get infinite out of combat healing without expending a spell slot by preparing and using a cure light wounds spell. Or just making it so that you cannot use this feat to use healing spells and spells that grant temporary hit points (Otherwise sorcerer/wizards could abuse false life later down the line).

Failed my spot check on limited uses/day... <.<

Temotei
2010-12-27, 01:04 AM
I would recommend making this unable to be used for healing spells or spells that grant temporary hit points. With a divine caster, from 4th level on (2nd level if they get Augment Healing, 3rd if they have Healing Domain, 1st if they have both), they get infinite out of combat healing without expending a spell slot by preparing and using a cure light wounds spell. Or just making it so that you cannot use this feat to use healing spells and spells that grant temporary hit points (Otherwise sorcerer/wizards could abuse false life later down the line).

There are a limited amount of uses.

Fable Wright
2010-12-27, 01:24 AM
There are a limited amount of uses.

Ah. Never mind, then...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-12-27, 10:21 AM
I like it, but only a few of these really seem level 1 specific: Power in the Blood, Eidetic Memory, and Sight Beyond Sight. Mind over Matter sort of fits, but I could see picking it up later. The rest, however, don't seem like anything special, and I'd remove the level 1 only requirement.

Decent concept and balance all around though. I'll have to check more thoroughly later, but for now, great job.

Dead_Jester
2010-12-27, 12:08 PM
I like this idea, although I would also open it to some racial feats that require first level (Dragonwrought Kobold, the Warforged body feats, and maybe the heritage feats for Sorcerers).

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-27, 03:42 PM
I'vebeen using a similar kindif feat in my MV game for a while...

I've always used the Iron Heroes name: Traits... catchier

I'll post some of them if you'd like, though they're generally not designed with high magic in mind o i'm not sure how they'll integrate...

edit: typing awful, sick in bed

Temotei
2010-12-28, 08:01 PM
Bleeding Strike [1st]
As a young warrior, you learned how to make your foes suffer with a vicious, semi-magical strike.
Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a slashing melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they suffer a horrible bleeding wound that deals 1 hp/4 character levels you have per round until they receive magical healing or a DC 20 Heal check or they die. This ability cannot be used against creatures that do not bleed (here defined as most undead and constructs, though the DM is the final arbiter in a dispute). This damage does not stack with itself, and can only be used every 1d4 rounds.

I think 1d2 rounds would work better. Once you get multiple attacks per round, your full attack may well be better than this. Still, as is, it's fairly decent.

Sneak Attack Focus [1st]
You have trained and trained with your sneak attacking ability, and now you are skilled above and beyond your peers.
Prerequisites: Sneak attack +1d6, Dexterity 15+
Benefits: Whenever you successfully make a sneak attack, you deal an extra +1d6 damage. For example, Bob the 1st level rogue sneak attacks Jim, the 1st level commoner. Bob has Sneak Attack Focus, and so deals +2d6 damage with his sneak attack, instead of +1d6.
Special: It is recommended that this feat be renamed Precision Focus and permitted to function with Skirmish and Sudden Strike as well, but the author recognizes not everyone uses said mechanisms, and so it's not part of the basic feat.

This is pretty good early on, but later, it becomes far less valuable, as instead of doing double your sneak attack damage, you're getting one fifth, or one eighth, or one tenth. It works a little better with skirmish, but maybe a scaling bonus is in order.

Mind Over Matter [1st]
Through rigorous discipline and intense study of anatomy and magic, you have developed the ability to heal your own wounds.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 15+
Benefits: You gain a pool of healing you can use to heal yourself with each day. This pool of healing has a number of hp equal to 2+your Wisdom modifier times your character level (ie. (2+Wis mod)xlevel). To use this healing requires a Concentration check (DC 15+the number of points you wish to use) and a full-round action. If you succeed on the check, you heal the desired amount. If you fail, you don't heal. Regardless of the results of the check, you can only call upon this feat once per hour.
Special: This feat was written with the author's campaigns in mind, where healing is fairly cheap. If your games are stricter with healing, then dropping the health pool to (1+Wis mod)xlevel or even just 2 times character level would be appropriate. Less than 2 times character level is unadvised, due to that being a very small number.

This could be a fairly useful out-of-combat healing source. That Concentration check is going to be a fairly high-DC check, though, so you'll have to be careful not to fail.

Also, do you lose the healing you wanted to call upon if you fail the check? Right now, I assume the answer is "No."

Impossible Shot [1st]
Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, while wielding a bow or crossbow, you may as a full-round action ignore all concealment and cover for a single attack, made at your highest attack bonus.

I like it. It's like Improved Precise Shot, but it goes around total cover, as well. If I had done this feat, I'd have made it so you could use this feat once per round as part of an attack (with the daily limits still included). Then it would be better than Improved Precise Shot for one attack per round.

Thunderstomp [1st]
Your footsteps are as thunder.
Prerequisites: Strength 19+
Benefits: Once per day per two character levels, you may stomp the ground in fury. This stomp forces all creatures in a 10-ft radius of you to make Balance checks (DC 10+your strength modifier) or fall prone. You are immune to your own stomp.

I'd lower the Strength requirement to 15+ or 17+, simply because I'd like a dwarf to have this. :smalltongue:

The DC is fairly low, but at the same time, almost nothing takes Balance, so it should be okay.

I like it, but only a few of these really seem level 1 specific: Power in the Blood, Eidetic Memory, and Sight Beyond Sight. Mind over Matter sort of fits, but I could see picking it up later. The rest, however, don't seem like anything special, and I'd remove the level 1 only requirement.

Decent concept and balance all around though. I'll have to check more thoroughly later, but for now, great job.

I agree.

bartman
2010-12-28, 11:06 PM
Sight Beyond Sight is very similar to Blind-Fight, but does not give as many benefits, and has the added pre-requisite of 1st level only, where Blind-Fight is pre-req free and is a pre-req for more powerful feats (pierce magical concealment)

Otherwise, it looks pretty solid. I especially like the sneak attack focus one, since I mainly play rogues

Cadian 9th
2010-12-30, 12:49 AM
Good feats overall, but I think that Power in the Blood is pretty much useless. Prodigal Spellcaster gets you the same thing, pretty much, except it doesn't deal damage to you.

Sneak Attack Focus, does it 1) increase sneak attack or does it 2) add extra damage when you make a sneak attack?

1) This could be lovely to qualify for things earlier. This also lets you get more benefit from ambush feats/abilities...

2) Icky, but nice when combined with the Penetrating Strike ACF (IIRC, That's the name) where you get half sneak attack vs Undead, with +1d6 now. Could also be nice when something negates your sneak attack damage and not the sneak attack itself, for example Warforged Fortification. It's also good if you've got something that converts your sneak attack damage type or using an ambush feat.

I am of the same school of thought, more feats makes it fun to build characters. It also makes certain feats more usable, of course...

unosarta
2010-12-30, 01:14 AM
Bleeding Strike [1st]
Benefits: To use this feat, you must wield a slashing melee weapon. As a full-round action, you may make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack deals normal damage, and if it deals hit point damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC=the attack roll). If they fail the save, they suffer a horrible bleeding wound that deals 1 hp/4 character levels you have per round until they receive magical healing or a DC 20 Heal check or they die. This ability cannot be used against creatures that do not bleed (here defined as most undead and constructs, though the DM is the final arbiter in a dispute). This damage does not stack with itself, and can only be used every 1d4 rounds.

If this is used against players in a party without immediate access to Heal checks, or against a monster without the same, the results are pretty deadly. Let's say that this is used at level one. That means that if the monster/party member takes the hit, and fails the fortitude save, then they take 1 damage per round, potentially forever. Even if they are only wounded for an hour, that deals 1*10*60, or 600 damage. :smalleek:

And that is just at level one. At level 20, if this is allowed to persist for 10 minutes, it deals 5*10*10, or 500 damage. :smalleek:
10 minutes isn't even all that long of a time period, and it deals enough damage to outright kill an ancient Silver Dragon, every brass dragon except for great wyrm, Every bronze dragon younger than wyrm, every copper dragon that isn't a great wyrm (unless any of these dragon's have Cleric casting instead of sorcerer casting; I can never remember). Also, it is never stated; is it affected by damage reduction? If so, then it becomes useless as soon as damage reduction appears. If not, then it is still really powerful.

[Edit]: One way to fix it would be for it to have a set duration. Even one like a minute is enough for it to be useful (providing some small amount of damage, even at level 1), and still not being ridiculous. In fact, the only problem with the feat seems to be the fact that it has an infinite duration unless certain conditions are met.

Temotei
2010-12-30, 03:50 AM
If this is used against players in a party without immediate access to Heal checks, or against a monster without the same, the results are pretty deadly. Let's say that this is used at level one. That means that if the monster/party member takes the hit, and fails the fortitude save, then they take 1 damage per round, potentially forever. Even if they are only wounded for an hour, that deals 1*10*60, or 600 damage. :smalleek:

And that is just at level one. At level 20, if this is allowed to persist for 10 minutes, it deals 5*10*10, or 500 damage. :smalleek:
10 minutes isn't even all that long of a time period, and it deals enough damage to outright kill an ancient Silver Dragon, every brass dragon except for great wyrm, Every bronze dragon younger than wyrm, every copper dragon that isn't a great wyrm (unless any of these dragon's have Cleric casting instead of sorcerer casting; I can never remember). Also, it is never stated; is it affected by damage reduction? If so, then it becomes useless as soon as damage reduction appears. If not, then it is still really powerful.

[Edit]: One way to fix it would be for it to have a set duration. Even one like a minute is enough for it to be useful (providing some small amount of damage, even at level 1), and still not being ridiculous. In fact, the only problem with the feat seems to be the fact that it has an infinite duration unless certain conditions are met.

Against characters, it's most likely not a problem, as they should have some sort of healing anyway. If they don't, they can always attempt the Heal check, regardless of their ranks in it; it's usable untrained.

Against enemies, unless you're running away or avoiding the target for an extremely long period of time, it won't be a problem. Even if you don't do that, the enemy's likely to have some sort of healing, whether that be in the form of an ally healer, a wand, a scroll, or spell-like abilities.

I don't really see a problem in standard D&D 3.5.

unosarta
2010-12-30, 04:34 AM
Against characters, it's most likely not a problem, as they should have some sort of healing anyway. If they don't, they can always attempt the Heal check, regardless of their ranks in it; it's usable untrained.

Against enemies, unless you're running away or avoiding the target for an extremely long period of time, it won't be a problem. Even if you don't do that, the enemy's likely to have some sort of healing, whether that be in the form of an ally healer, a wand, a scroll, or spell-like abilities.

I don't really see a problem in standard D&D 3.5.

Then why is it necessary for it to be infinite duration? That doesn't even make sense, since almost all non-magic wounds eventually heal. For some reason, when this certain person hits someone, they bleed. Forever! Simply because one assumes that everyone has access to healing doesn't necessarily make it so. This character could go into a town and kill everyone by pricking them with his dagger once each, and then having them bleed out. :smallconfused:

Temotei
2010-12-30, 07:00 PM
Then why is it necessary for it to be infinite duration? That doesn't even make sense, since almost all non-magic wounds eventually heal. For some reason, when this certain person hits someone, they bleed. Forever! Simply because one assumes that everyone has access to healing doesn't necessarily make it so. This character could go into a town and kill everyone by pricking them with his dagger once each, and then having them bleed out. :smallconfused:

That could possibly be troublesome, but at the same time, there's a saving throw, and someone would notice a dagger hitting them (unless it's combined with Mosquito's Bite, which is usable only once every five minutes, according to Tome of Battle's out-of-battle encounter measurements). Past the saving throw and having other people (guards, family, friends, heroes, guilds, etc.) come to defense, there's always Heal checks and any form of magical healing available (which, admittedly, could be problematic for priests and such, since there's only so much per day).

It might not make sense, but I hardly think that matters in D&D.

arguskos
2010-12-30, 09:51 PM
It might not make sense, but I hardly think that matters in D&D.
A few things. First, this is kinda the motto here. I believe I said in the first post that, unless otherwise stated, these are all meant to be Supernatural abilities, granted through sorcerous or eldritch means. If I didn't, I'm terribly sorry (wrote it the night I left for a lengthy road trip, was tired).

Second, I'm too bushed to actually respond in a meaningful fashion right now to you all, but I will tomorrow if I can (should have the time). Thanks for all the interest though, and I'm very curious to see what you all have to say, be it bad or good.

Finally, thanks to Temotei for holding the fort in my absence. Thanks dude. :smallsmile:

unosarta
2010-12-30, 10:35 PM
A few things. First, this is kinda the motto here. I believe I said in the first post that, unless otherwise stated, these are all meant to be Supernatural abilities, granted through sorcerous or eldritch means. If I didn't, I'm terribly sorry (wrote it the night I left for a lengthy road trip, was tired).

Even then, I am still not seeing how a level one character could make a wound that never healed naturally. Like, the feat doesn't really have any supernatural requirements, or supernatural flavor. Any old fighter could take it, and he could still bleed out just about everyone ever if they don't get a fairly competent healer, or someone with healing magic.

Why is adding a duration so bad? It is less about making sense literally, and more about making mechanical sense at the same time. Wounds from a level one character, even if they do have some sort of crazy magical ability, shouldn't last forever. It doesn't make sense mechanically (unless you are going to say that every monster ever has magical healing or a pumped up heal skill, :smallconfused:), and it doesn't make sense in literal terms. Combined with the fact that this has a very, very simple solution, and that it would reduce the impossibility as well as decreasing the numerical ridiculousness of a permanent duration (besides with magical healing and/or the heal skill), I am not understanding the argument here.

Temotei
2010-12-30, 10:47 PM
Even then, I am still not seeing how a level one character could make a wound that never healed naturally. Like, the feat doesn't really have any supernatural requirements, or supernatural flavor. Any old fighter could take it, and he could still bleed out just about everyone ever if they don't get a fairly competent healer, or someone with healing magic.

Why is adding a duration so bad? It is less about making sense literally, and more about making mechanical sense at the same time. Wounds from a level one character, even if they do have some sort of crazy magical ability, shouldn't last forever. It doesn't make sense mechanically (unless you are going to say that every monster ever has magical healing or a pumped up heal skill, :smallconfused:), and it doesn't make sense in literal terms. Combined with the fact that this has a very, very simple solution, and that it would reduce the impossibility as well as decreasing the numerical ridiculousness of a permanent duration (besides with magical healing and/or the heal skill), I am not understanding the argument here.

I just don't see the need for a fix. It's not broken in my eyes.

Adding a duration would add complexity, but if it was to be done, I'd say something like character levels minutes would work, or maybe a number of minutes equal to the number the target failed the Fortitude save by (minimum one minute).

Other possibilities for thought: 1/4 character levels (which is equal to the damage dealt per round, so it would be simple) minutes; attack roll-using ability modifier minutes (minimum one minute).

Cadian 9th
2010-12-30, 10:56 PM
Good feats overall, but I think that Power in the Blood is pretty much useless. Prodigal Spellcaster gets you the same thing, pretty much, except it doesn't deal damage to you.

Sneak Attack Focus, does it 1) increase sneak attack or does it 2) add extra damage when you make a sneak attack?

1) This could be lovely to qualify for things earlier. This also lets you get more benefit from ambush feats/abilities...

2) Icky, but nice when combined with the Penetrating Strike ACF (IIRC, That's the name) where you get half sneak attack vs Undead, with +1d6 now. Could also be nice when something negates your sneak attack damage and not the sneak attack itself, for example Warforged Fortification. It's also good if you've got something that converts your sneak attack damage type or using an ambush feat.

I am of the same school of thought, more feats makes it fun to build characters. It also makes certain feats more usable, of course...

Over the wound feat, this seemed to get missed. Could I get an answer?

Also, on the wound thing, I really don't see the issue. You're dealing 1 dpr to a character until they make a DC 20 heal check or receive a cantrip. Really, if you're a BA +1 class, you've got the full round actions to do that to an opponent, why haven't you killed them (at earlier levels) and at later levels, well, meh much. Dragonshaman's aura clears it up, as does a single point of lay on hands, etc.

I don't see an issue with it, to be honest. Adding a duration would also complicate it, furthermore, it requires a fort save, which is pretty balanced - for comparison, get a totem bind on Bloodtalons, with Expanded soulmeld capacity. That's dealing 3 ongoing damage, no save, stacks and goes on every attack, yes it does only bleed next round yet it still is significantly better.

Temotei
2010-12-30, 11:04 PM

Reading the feat twice over, I think it just adds damage on top of your sneak attack damage, so it doesn't let you qualify for prestige classes or feats early.

The intention could be different, however.

ericgrau
2010-12-30, 11:18 PM
Half seem decent. But...

Bleeding Strike: attack bonus tends to scale faster than fort saves, but even if success were automatic that really isn't much damage. Not worth giving up secondary attacks for it. It could at least be a standard action so PCs might do it when they're forced to single attack anyway. OTOH it does keep monsters without healing from running away, as others are pointing out.

Mind over Matter: The DCs for significant healing are so high that it's not worth it during combat. It's only worth it at the end of the day since at an hour between uses you can't even do much between combats... and then a cheap wand of cure light wounds or a cleric with leftover spells makes the feat obsolete.

Stunning Strike: Again, attack bonus scales faster than fort saves. At low levels when you only get 1 attack anyway it's 50:50 and at high levels it's often an automatic stun.

Impossible Shot: Made almost obsolete by rapid shot. If you can attack twice with a 50% miss chance, that's about the same. And if you have additional attacks full attacking is even better.

Thunderstomp: Many things don't put ranks in balance, so a scaling DC means at high levels it's almost automatic success. A flat DC like DC 10 would fix that. Some things would auto-pass but at least everything else would have a 50:50 shot or better.

unosarta
2010-12-30, 11:25 PM
I don't see an issue with it, to be honest. Adding a duration would also complicate it.

Adding a duration would add complexity

Why, exactly, would it complicate the matter? I doubt a DM would really care about dealing a certain amount of damage per round, especially since there isn't a variabalic component. Even if it had infinite duration, they would still have to do this. Past that, what, they have to record how long it lasts? Honestly, I doubt that any DM who didn't care about doing the numbers in the first place would care about having to track a duration, whether it were short or not.

Furthermore, it requires a fort save, which is pretty balanced - for comparison, get a totem bind on Bloodtalons, with Expanded soulmeld capacity. That's dealing 3 ongoing damage, no save, stacks and goes on every attack, yes it does only bleed next round yet it still is significantly better.
Attack modifiers are pretty easy to increase. Not too easy, but not difficult. Although Fortitude saves tend to be the highest saves among monsters, it scales to be roughly even, lower depending on the monster. Yes, undead and constructs are immune to it; although, really, anyone immune to sneak attacks and critical hits should be immune to it as well, if you think about it. Other than that, considering it is a feat whose power increases with your level, and has no duration limit, I would say that it is pretty damn good.

As for Bloodtalons; that requires a specific class, one that couldn't get this feat anyway. So, any martial character that wants to get that bleed effect? They have to be totemists, and have expand soulmeld capacity (another feat), just to be able to use it. This feat requires only that you have a base attack bonus of +1 at level one. Not even close to the same requirements. Also, putting Essentia into that soulmeld means that you can't put it into others, which might provide needed bonuses.

But if it was to be done, I'd say something like character levels minutes would work, or maybe a number of minutes equal to the number the target failed the Fortitude save by (minimum one minute).

This wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Character levels in minutes probably works even better, since that way you could calculate the exact damage done if the monster/villain/whatever runs away without having to double check for weird time limits.

Moose Man
2010-12-30, 11:26 PM
can you cauterize the wound? (talking about bleeding strike)

Temotei
2010-12-30, 11:50 PM
can you cauterize the wound? (talking about bleeding strike)

With a DC 20 Heal check, yes. :smalltongue:

Cadian 9th
2010-12-31, 02:03 AM
Why, exactly, would it complicate the matter? I doubt a DM would really care about dealing a certain amount of damage per round, especially since there isn't a variabalic component. Even if it had infinite duration, they would still have to do this. Past that, what, they have to record how long it lasts? Honestly, I doubt that any DM who didn't care about doing the numbers in the first place would care about having to track a duration, whether it were short or not.

It's another duration to keep track off. It doesn't overcomplicate it but it adds extra things for the DM and players to keep track off, and ends up getting forgotten or missed.

Attack modifiers are pretty easy to increase. Not too easy, but not difficult. Although Fortitude saves tend to be the highest saves among monsters, it scales to be roughly even, lower depending on the monster. Yes, undead and constructs are immune to it; although, really, anyone immune to sneak attacks and critical hits should be immune to it as well, if you think about it. Other than that, considering it is a feat whose power increases with your level, and has no duration limit, I would say that it is pretty damn good.

I think that when it is significant (levels 1-maybe 4) the fort save DC is hit or miss, 50/50, and you have to hit with the attack, and use a full round action. It doesn't strike me as awesome, to be honest. I'd rather be, well, running away, using a maneuver or doing a TWF attack routine, pounce charging, or what have you.

As for Bloodtalons; that requires a specific class, one that couldn't get this feat anyway. So, any martial character that wants to get that bleed effect? They have to be totemists, and have expand soulmeld capacity (another feat), just to be able to use it. This feat requires only that you have a base attack bonus of +1 at level one. Not even close to the same requirements. Also, putting Essentia into that soulmeld means that you can't put it into others, which might provide needed bonuses.

Actually, anyone can get Blood talons, you need the Chakra Bind for totem to use it that way though. IIRC you can get this with a spell. Regardless, yes, it requires Totemist 2, and you don't need Expanded Soulmeld Capacity to use it. Totem Chakra binds give +1 capacity, regardless.

Putting essentia in Totem Chakra bound Bloodtalons is pretty good, actually. Gives you a +2 bonus on spot checks per point of essentia, and a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls per point of essentia, in addition to the base benefit (Fight while disabled or dying). For 2 essentia, you get +4 on spot checks, +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and 2 damage bleeding, stacking per hit. For 3 essentia, +6 on spot checks, +3 on attack rolls, and 3 bleed damage.

The good thing about the meld is that you can reallocate the essentia, of course, so you only need to invest the essentia in the meld when you're going to hit something, or need to spot something. The essentia can otherwise be allocated to something else, like, a Wormtail belt, etc.

This wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Character levels in minutes probably works even better, since that way you could calculate the exact damage done if the monster/villain/whatever runs away without having to double check for weird time limits.

If there was a duration I'd make it per character level, to keep it simple.

unosarta
2010-12-31, 02:47 AM
It's another duration to keep track off. It doesn't overcomplicate it but it adds extra things for the DM and players to keep track off, and ends up getting forgotten or missed.

[QUOTE=Cadian 9th;10070090]I think that when it is significant (levels 1-maybe 4) the fort save DC is hit or miss, 50/50, and you have to hit with the attack, and use a full round action. It doesn't strike me as awesome, to be honest. I'd rather be, well, running away, using a maneuver or doing a TWF attack routine, pounce charging, or what have you.
1st off; TWF will net you, at most, 2 attacks at that level range, including the one from straight BAB. One is more likely to fail than the other, but both have a lowered chance. You deal, at best, about 1d6+2 extra damage, if you even have a Strength score that high, and you are using a light weapon that deals 1d6 damage, and if you hit.

You have a base attack bonus of +1, and have any of these options as a melee combatant. Why would you run away, pray tell?

Maneuvers may be useful, but why would you even take this feat if you had options at your disposal that would allow you more/better maneuvers?

Pounce charging will net you... a +2 attack roll bonus. Levels 1-4 means that you have at most 1 attack unless you are dual wielding, which is already a bad option.

So, honestly, considering that this move still deals damage, and has a bleed that lasts forever, I cannot imagine a situation in which I would not use it. At worst, I would charge in, attack, and then on my next turn apply the bleed. Either way, I am not losing a significant amount at that level range, and I might get something better. At a higher level range, you can get an attack roll higher than most monster's fortitude rolls, and then automatically apply the bleed. While still getting an attack.

[QUOTE=Cadian 9th;10070090]Actually, anyone can get Blood talons, you need the Chakra Bind for totem to use it that way though. IIRC you can get this with a spell. Regardless, yes, it requires Totemist 2, and you don't need Expanded Soulmeld Capacity to use it. Totem Chakra binds give +1 capacity, regardless.

Putting essentia in Totem Chakra bound Bloodtalons is pretty good, actually. Gives you a +2 bonus on spot checks per point of essentia, and a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls per point of essentia, in addition to the base benefit (Fight while disabled or dying). For 2 essentia, you get +4 on spot checks, +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and 2 damage bleeding, stacking per hit. For 3 essentia, +6 on spot checks, +3 on attack rolls, and 3 bleed damage.

The good thing about the meld is that you can reallocate the essentia, of course, so you only need to invest the essentia in the meld when you're going to hit something, or need to spot something. The essentia can otherwise be allocated to something else, like, a Wormtail belt, etc.
... But you still have to sacrifice base attack bonus, as well as levels in another melee class that might give you as much for your levels (especially if ToB is allowed; even if not, there are a few classes that I would consider over Totemist). Spot is marginally useful in combat, the attack roll bonus is nice, but the thing is, that is 3 bleed damage. On the next round. So, you get an extra 3 damage with every melee attack. Big whoop. In fact, if you have more than 3 attacks (which you should if you are a melee character, let's face it), you are probably better off just full attacking. Actually, now that I read the description, it isn't that great. The damage only applies if you hit with the talons, which are 1d4 damage. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to the blood loss. This feat is strictly better than the bleed from a class feature you had to spend 2 levels to get. :smallconfused:

Also; as a totemist, you only have 2 Essentia at that level. Unless you went to level 3 to get another point, or got an Incarnum feat, it isn't really that great.

If there was a duration I'd make it per character level, to keep it simple.

That is what I just said, so... I guess we are in agreement.

Roderick_BR
2010-12-31, 07:08 AM
I saw a scenario where every character always start up with an extra feat usable for the "regional feat", and it works fine.
Regional Feats are from Forgotten Realms, you could take a look there for inspiration. They usually are something you pick by living all your young life in a given region and/or a race/inherited trait based on the species in the local, rather than something you'd get with just training.

As it was said, most of these sounds like they could be learned later in life, but the idea is good.

arguskos
2010-12-31, 11:57 AM

These are only the beginning, and I specifically left the fluff off of them, since I was more curious about the mechanical concerns than anything else. I can (and have) easily fluffed them for level 1 one. Still, coming from you, "great job" means a lot. Thanks. :smallsmile:

I like this idea, although I would also open it to some racial feats that require first level (Dragonwrought Kobold, the Warforged body feats, and maybe the heritage feats for Sorcerers).
I agree. There will be a lot of converted feats (though Dragonwrought is banned in my games, and I don't use Warforged in the setting these are destined for, but the concept is sound). There's a decent mount of feats that could be converted here, and I plan to do so.

I'vebeen using a similar kindif feat in my MV game for a while...

I've always used the Iron Heroes name: Traits... catchier

I'll post some of them if you'd like, though they're generally not designed with high magic in mind o i'm not sure how they'll integrate...

edit: typing awful, sick in bed
Actually, I picked a better name too: Quirks. Each character gets a single Quirk at their option (not required, but recommended).

I think 1d2 rounds would work better. Once you get multiple attacks per round, your full attack may well be better than this. Still, as is, it's fairly decent.
It's an early game buff, as was intended.

This is pretty good early on, but later, it becomes far less valuable, as instead of doing double your sneak attack damage, you're getting one fifth, or one eighth, or one tenth. It works a little better with skirmish, but maybe a scaling bonus is in order.
See above.

This could be a fairly useful out-of-combat healing source. That Concentration check is going to be a fairly high-DC check, though, so you'll have to be careful not to fail.
Mind Over Matter was meant for two things. First, to give Concentration a more universal use (flavored with the idea of "you can focus so hard, you can control your body's health"). Second, to provide a decent healing source to the self-sufficient non-caster.

Also, do you lose the healing you wanted to call upon if you fail the check? Right now, I assume the answer is "No."
You assume correctly.

I like it. It's like Improved Precise Shot, but it goes around total cover, as well. If I had done this feat, I'd have made it so you could use this feat once per round as part of an attack (with the daily limits still included). Then it would be better than Improved Precise Shot for one attack per round.
Perhaps worth doing. Thoughts on this?

I'd lower the Strength requirement to 15+ or 17+, simply because I'd like a dwarf to have this. :smalltongue:
Hmm. Perhaps.

The DC is fairly low, but at the same time, almost nothing takes Balance, so it should be okay.
That was the idea.

Sight Beyond Sight is very similar to Blind-Fight, but does not give as many benefits, and has the added pre-requisite of 1st level only, where Blind-Fight is pre-req free and is a pre-req for more powerful feats (pierce magical concealment)

Otherwise, it looks pretty solid. I especially like the sneak attack focus one, since I mainly play rogues
Good thought, actually. I'll say that Sight Beyond Sight can permit you to qualify for anything that uses Blind-Sight.

Do remember though, that Sight Beyond Sight can be acquired basically for free at level 1, whereas Blind-Fight takes a normal feat slot. This is a balancing mechanism of sorts.

I... can't find that feat. Care to tell me the source?

Adds, not increases. This was done to avoid using it for qualifications for PrCs and whatnot.

Indeed. :smallbiggrin:

It's... 1 damage. No, seriously, at level 1, it is 1 damage. Yes, it persists forever, but it's A) supernatural, B) has multiple methods to stop, C) requires a saving throw, and D) doesn't actually compare to just SMACKING AND KILLING THEM.

Also, here's a fun note: Heal can be used untrained, and can be used on yourself (no note saying you can't, ergo you ca). High Wis creatures, of which there are many, can roll well and be totally fine. There's so much healing in the game that, on average, this is going to last for perhaps 5 rounds before the creature either dies (from being smacked with sharp metal objects some more) or is healed up just fine.

I see no reason for a duration, for lots of reasons already spelled out below. Of course, if you in your games wish to add one, hey, that's great. I'm just happy it's being used. :smallsmile:

Personally, Bleeding Strike has so many limitations and restrictions (which I added ENTIRELY ON PURPOSE to balance the piddling amount of damage out with) I feel it's a fine feat, and through the entire firestorm below I saw nothing to change my mind about it.

Bleeding Strike: attack bonus tends to scale faster than fort saves, but even if success were automatic that really isn't much damage. Not worth giving up secondary attacks for it. It could at least be a standard action so PCs might do it when they're forced to single attack anyway. OTOH it does keep monsters without healing from running away, as others are pointing out.
It, like the others here, was designed as an early-game ability, not a late-game one. It's also a functionally free ability, so it should be fairly weak.

Mind over Matter: The DCs for significant healing are so high that it's not worth it during combat. It's only worth it at the end of the day since at an hour between uses you can't even do much between combats... and then a cheap wand of cure light wounds or a cleric with leftover spells makes the feat obsolete.
Was meant to patch up between combats.

Stunning Strike: Again, attack bonus scales faster than fort saves. At low levels when you only get 1 attack anyway it's 50:50 and at high levels it's often an automatic stun.
Ok, so? Lots of stuff is immune to stunning at high levels, so that's fine.

Impossible Shot: Made almost obsolete by rapid shot. If you can attack twice with a 50% miss chance, that's about the same. And if you have additional attacks full attacking is even better.
I don't agree about Rapid Shot, and think it was made clear above. I have an idea about this feat though, and may change it shortly.

Thunderstomp: Many things don't put ranks in balance, so a scaling DC means at high levels it's almost automatic success. A flat DC like DC 10 would fix that. Some things would auto-pass but at least everything else would have a 50:50 shot or better.
It's also a low check, so anything with decent to high Dex stands a very nice shot of succeeding.

I saw a scenario where every character always start up with an extra feat usable for the "regional feat", and it works fine.
Regional Feats are from Forgotten Realms, you could take a look there for inspiration. They usually are something you pick by living all your young life in a given region and/or a race/inherited trait based on the species in the local, rather than something you'd get with just training.
Actually, these are separate from Regional Feats, and I'll tell you why. See, these are designed to be used in my personal campaign setting (see sig). I already have regional feat examples there. What used to be Regional Feats in 3.5 are now Quirks in Z-R, since Regional Feats in Z-R are quite different.

A character in Z-R has the following feats at level 1:
-Your standard feat slot at level 1.
-Your Quirk (this thread, technically optional, usually low power, high flavor).
-Your Regional Feat (not optional, also not in this thread).
-Anything else you manage to scrape together (due to class/race/bribing the DM :smallwink:).

As it was said, most of these sounds like they could be learned later in life, but the idea is good.
This was a failure to be clear on my part.

I'll do some OP clarification and perhaps adding of more feats/changing a few around some in a bit. Have a few errands to do, and a party to attend this evening. Thanks again for the feedback, and keep it coming. I always appreciate feedback (especially things like the Bleeding Strike discussion).

Also, if anyone has an idea for a feat in the vein of Bleeding/Stunning Strike, but for piercing weapons, could you throw it out there for me? I've been running into a roadblock with that one.

Salbazier
2010-12-31, 12:19 PM
Impossible shot bypass total cover right? Better make it explicit because it seems to me books and people are kinda unclear sometimes whether or it includes total cover/concealment or not when they mention 'all cover and concealment'

Love the idea of this 1st level feats. :smallsmile:

Temotei
2010-12-31, 01:55 PM
Actually, I picked a better name too: Quirks. Each character gets a single Quirk at their option (not required, but recommended).

Oh. That's a new rule and a better name. Excellent. :smallamused:

arguskos
2010-12-31, 02:15 PM
Impossible shot bypass total cover right? Better make it explicit because it seems to me books and people are kinda unclear sometimes whether or it includes total cover/concealment or not when they mention 'all cover and concealment'

Love the idea of this 1st level feats. :smallsmile:
Yes, it does. I'll be clearer about that above. And thanks for the support. :smallsmile:

Oh. That's a new rule and a better name. Excellent. :smallamused:
Eh, it's the same rule, just clearer. The OP is cluttered, due to rush and tiredness at the time. I'll clean up the OP here in a minute.

EDIT: Lots of new stuff to go around! First, a new feat!

Legendary Shot
Your mastery of ranged weapons is so amazing, you can perform feats of skill even heroes and creatures of legend dare not attempt.
Prerequisites: Impossible Shot, BAB +6, Dexterity 19+
Benefits: You can use Impossible Shot once per day per character level. Additionally, you now use Impossible Shot as an attack action, instead of as a full-round action, permitting use of Impossible Shot in full attacks.

Second, Eidetic Memory is now an Extraordinary ability, and the others are all explicitly called out as Supernatural.

Third, Bleeding Strike's Heal check has been lowered to 10+character level, and a special note has been added clarifying that the Heal check can be performed by the bleeder.

Fourth, the wording on Sneak Attack Focus, Impossible Shot, and Sight Beyond Sight have been edited slightly. SAF has had the prerequisite loophole closed (doesn't qualify for Sneak Attack prereqs), Impossible Shot clearly states it beats even total cover, and Sight Beyond Sight states that it counts as Blind-Fight for prereq purposes.

Finally, the OP text has been broken up for ease of reading, and the Supernatural clarification has been made explicitly clear.

I'll get a few more new feats up sometime today, probably.

arguskos
2010-12-31, 04:33 PM
Update time! Sorry for the PostPost (get the joke? :smallwink:), but I've got tons of new content!

You were infused at birth with a drop of blood spilled by one of the Blade Lords, granting you a unique skill with a specific weapon type.
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Strength or Dexterity 15+ (depends on weapon type selected, Swords/Axes/Hammers/Polearms are Strength, Bows/Projectiles/Chains are Dexterity)
Benefits: Select a weapon type (Swords, Axes, Hammers, Bows, Projectiles, Chains, or Polearms). You are proficient with all weapons of that type (ask your DM for specific cases, though the Gyrspike is specially called out as existing in no category). Additionally, you gain a circumstance bonus to attacks and damage with your weapon type equal to 1/4 your character level.
Special: This requires a bit of familiarity with my Blade Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146964) project, but not much. By the by, please don't necro that thread. :smallsmile: Additionally, Blood of the Blade Lords counts as the entire Weapon Focus tree (here defined as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and the Greater versions of both) for purposes of prerequisites for prestige classes, feats, and equipment.

Spell Thematics [1st]
You have an inherent twist to your spells that can't be duplicated, and makes it hard for others to understand what you're casting.
Benefits: Choose a thematic style, such as Skulls, Fire, or Butterflies. All spells you cast now use that thematic style instead of whatever their normal visual manifestation is. The Spellcraft DC to identify your spells increases by 2. Additionally, the energy type of all your spells with an energy type changes to a single type that matches your thematic choice, declared when you select this feat (this change is mandatory). For example, if your thematic style is Spheres, you might choose Cold, since Cold is the energy type associated with Elemental Water in D&D.
Special: This is my rewrite of the Spell Thematics feat. I never liked the one in PGtF all that much, but the idea is so awesome, it makes me smile. The wording is rough, but I feel like the idea is good.

Magic Dead [1st]
You were touched by the powers of the Void at birth, granting you a unique lack of presence towards magic.
Prerequisites: Must not be a spellcaster
Benefits: You are dead in the eyes of magic, granting you powerful benefits and penalties. You are unaffected by all targeted spells and spell-like abilities (area effects still affect you, as do summons and called creatures). However, you benefit from no magical items or spells. If you gain spellcasting at any point, you lose access to this feat and cannot regain it at any point.

Spellbreaker
You have focused on your connection to the Void, and have honed your ability to ignore magic.
Prerequisites: Magic Dead, must not be a spellcaster, character level 5+
Benefits: As a full-round action, you can perform a spellbreaker attack. To make a spellbreaker attack, you make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack ignores all magical concealment and magical bonuses to AC. If the attack connects, all magical effects on the opponent are dismissed instantly for 1 round per character level. If you gain spellcasting at any point, you lose access to this feat and cannot regain it at any point.

Complete Immunity
Your connection to the Void has reached its pinnacle, and you are now proof against magic of all kinds.
Prerequisites: Magic Dead, Spellbreaker, must not be a spellcaster, character level 10+
Benefits: You are now completely immune to all magical effects. Summoned creatures cannot harm you and you ignore area effects. If you gain spellcasting at any point, you lose access to this feat and cannot regain it at any point.

I'm very curious to see what you all think about these feats. I'm very excited about Blood of the Blade Lords. Also, don't forget to check up a single post, for even more new stuff! :smallbiggrin:

JKTrickster
2010-12-31, 05:36 PM
Oh I like the Magic Dead line of feats....although I don't see how they'll function at higher levels, I like how they'll work with Mageslayer and the like.

Although I wonder, any Quirks for the psionic characters out there? :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-12-31, 05:43 PM
Although I wonder, any Quirks for the psionic characters out there? :smallwink:
There may be one or two, but likely, there won't be too many. Most of these are going to be martial-focused, since martialists need the help more than anyone else. :smallwink:

I'll include a psionic Quirk or two, along with at least one Binding and Shadowcasting Quirk each.

EDIT: Thoughthammer is up now. The wording is choppy and I'm not crazy happy with it, but I like the idea (and the mental image; and the homage to Day[9]; HAIL THE MIGHTY THOUGHTHAMMER!).

Thoughthammer [1st, Psionic]
You share a mental connection with a great psion of old, and can channel his will through yourself.
Benefits: You can manifest a unique mental attack called the thoughthammer. The thoughthammer is a full-round action, costs 1 power point, and can be augmented up to 1 power point/character level (ie. total pp=character level). The thoughthammer affects a single target, which must make a Will save (DC 10+number of points expended) or suffer 1 Wisdom damage per 3 character levels. You suffer 1 point of Wisdom damage as well, for channeling the ancient psion's power is strenuous.

Cadian 9th
2010-12-31, 06:16 PM
I... can't find that feat. Care to tell me the source?

Adds, not increases. This was done to avoid using it for qualifications for PrCs and whatnot.

Spellcasting Prodigy, sorry, it's in Player's Guide to Faerun. Lets you count your spellcasting ability as +2 for the purpose of bonus spells. I was more saying, well, it normally gives you bonus spells of 1 level if not 2. (18-20, 12-14)

Thanks for clearing that up. The wording was quite specific in hindsight. :smalltongue:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-12-31, 06:20 PM
Update time! Sorry for the PostPost (get the joke? :smallwink:), but I've got tons of new content!

Benefits: Select a weapon type (Swords, Axes, Hammers, Bows, Projectiles, Chains, or Polearms). You are proficient with all weapons of that type (ask your DM for specific cases, though the Gyrspike is specially called out as existing in no category). Additionally, you gain a circumstance bonus to attacks and damage with your weapon type equal to 1/4 your character level.
Special: This requires a bit of familiarity with my Blade Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146964) project, but not much. By the by, please don't necro that thread. :smallsmile: Additionally, Blood of the Blade Lords counts as the entire Weapon Focus tree (here defined as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and the Greater versions of both) for purposes of prerequisites for prestige classes, feats, and equipment.

Spell Thematics [1st]

Magic Dead [1st]
You were touched by the powers of the Void at birth, granting you a unique lack of presence towards magic.
Prerequisites: Must not be a spellcaster
Benefits: You are dead in the eyes of magic, granting you powerful benefits and penalties. You are unaffected by all targeted spells and spell-like abilities (area effects still affect you, as do summons and called creatures). However, you benefit from no magical items or spells. If you gain spellcasting at any point, you lose access to this feat and cannot regain it at any point.

Spellbreaker
You have focused on your connection to the Void, and have honed your ability to ignore magic.
Prerequisites: Magic Dead, must not be a spellcaster, character level 5+
Benefits: As a full-round action, you can perform a spellbreaker attack. To make a spellbreaker attack, you make a single attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack ignores all magical concealment and magical bonuses to AC. If the attack connects, all magical effects on the opponent are dismissed instantly for 1 round per character level. If you gain spellcasting at any point, you lose access to this feat and cannot regain it at any point.

Complete Immunity
Your connection to the Void has reached its pinnacle, and you are now proof against magic of all kinds.
Prerequisites: Magic Dead, Spellbreaker, must not be a spellcaster, character level 10+
Benefits: You are now completely immune to all magical effects. Summoned creatures cannot harm you and you ignore area effects. If you gain spellcasting at any point, you lose access to this feat and cannot regain it at any point.

I'm very curious to see what you all think about these feats. I'm very excited about Blood of the Blade Lords. Also, don't forget to check up a single post, for even more new stuff! :smallbiggrin:

First off, bear in mind that this is all my opinion.

Magic Dead is a poor idea from a design perspective. D&D is designed around the concept of buff spells, magical enhancements, and magic items. This is the reason that the Vow of Poverty feat is a poor design: characters who can function without items become incredibly powerful yet un-versatile, and character who can't become gimped beyond salvation. Magic Dead is the same concept, although it takes it one step in the worse direction and provides no numerical benefits to make up for the power lost. Being immune to magic at high levels doesn't help one bit when your foe is flying, has DR 30/magic and silver, regeneration (fire and acid), and can turn invisible...sure, you might live another round or two, but you'll be, effectively, useless, especially since your AC, hit bonuses, and saves against non-magical effects will all be lower than usual.

Blood of the Blade Lords is also a poor design idea, because it provides such a huge benefit that it becomes, effectively, a level 1 feat tax for all weapon-using characters. Passing up a +5 to hit at level 20 is incredibly stupid, and extra damage is never frowned upon.

Your first set (and Thoughthammer, which is awesome) were great, mainly because they provided new and exciting abilities. Blood of the Blade Lords offers a static yet incredibly significant bonus to crucial actions, but in a boring yet indispensable way...ergo, bad design. Magic Dead provides an interesting character twist and a new defense...at the expense of never allowing your character the utility and versatility that magic and magic items have to offer in a game where having magic items is assumed so much so that all encounters take that into account. Again, bad design.

You execute the concepts well, but they are inherently flawed design concepts (in my mind), and thus I'm afraid I can't approve of the Magic Dead or Blood of the Blade Lords feat lines.

arguskos
2010-12-31, 06:46 PM
Spellcasting Prodigy, sorry, it's in Player's Guide to Faerun. Lets you count your spellcasting ability as +2 for the purpose of bonus spells. I was more saying, well, it normally gives you bonus spells of 1 level if not 2. (18-20, 12-14)

Thanks for clearing that up. The wording was quite specific in hindsight. :smalltongue:
I don't like Spellcasting Prodigy, since it reads like a waste of time to me. I'd rather just have a higher ability score and benefit all around than waste a precious precious feat slot on an extra spell slot. Besides, Power in the Blood can recover anything. Still, I see the position that they're comparable, and I'll see what I can do to fiddle about with that.

First off, bear in mind that this is all my opinion.
I expect nothing less, and appreciate the honesty. :smallsmile:

Magic Dead is a poor idea from a design perspective. D&D is designed around the concept of buff spells, magical enhancements, and magic items. This is the reason that the Vow of Poverty feat is a poor design: characters who can function without items become incredibly powerful yet un-versatile, and character who can't become gimped beyond salvation. Magic Dead is the same concept, although it takes it one step in the worse direction and provides no numerical benefits to make up for the power lost. Being immune to magic at high levels doesn't help one bit when your foe is flying, has DR 30/magic and silver, regeneration (fire and acid), and can turn invisible...sure, you might live another round or two, but you'll be, effectively, useless, especially since your AC, hit bonuses, and saves against non-magical effects will all be lower than usual.
My concept was to use the Magic Dead line to attempt to correct what VoP failed to do: make the magic-less character archetype viable in some fashion by providing a defense that was comparable. With Complete Immunity, you can literally stand there and a 20th level Archmage can't DO ANYTHING to you. That's a power that doesn't exist anywhere else, and while he can run away better than you can find him, he still will never be able to hurt you in any way at all.

I'll accept that it's something 3.5 was never meant to do, but it's something I want to change, and I felt like this would be the first logical step. Can you help me find my way to where I want to go?

Blood of the Blade Lords is also a poor design idea, because it provides such a huge benefit that it becomes, effectively, a level 1 feat tax for all weapon-using characters. Passing up a +5 to hit at level 20 is incredibly stupid, and extra damage is never frowned upon.
I felt like the bonus was not the right ability to have there. Perhaps... I've got an idea. Let me whip something together real quick...

Benefits: Select a weapon type (Swords, Axes, Hammers, Bows, Projectiles, Chains, or Polearms). You are proficient with all weapons of that type (ask your DM for specific cases, though the Gyrspike is specially called out as existing in no category) and no others. This feat overrides all existing weapon proficiencies. You gain a limited version of your Blade Lord's special attack, outlined below:

Swords: You gain the power to swing your blade with such fury that you duplicate the Flurry of Swords ability from your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus and all targets in a 50 ft long line emanating out from you must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or suffer an automatic critical hit. If a creature makes the save, they suffer only normal damage (not a critical hit).
Axes: You have learned to focus your anger into the blood of your Blade Lord, fueling it and driving your attacks. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can add your Strength to your attacks as an extra bonus to damage. Note that this is your Strength score, not the modifier, but the full score.
Hammers: Your blood grants you the power of your patron to defeat magic. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can declare a dispelling strike. You make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus, and if you hit, the target of your attack is subject to a dispel magic-like effect (Caster Level=your character level, max 15).
Bows: You gain the power of your Blade Lord to rain death upon your foes. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you may make a ranged attack at your highest base attack bonus. This attack has no target, instead affecting everyone in a 10-ft square. Anyone in that square whose AC you beat with your attack is affected as if you shot them directly.
Projectiles: You gain the power of your Blade Lord's shield, the power of the reflecting block. 1/day/4 character levels as an immediate action, you may declare a reflecting block against an incoming projectile attack (this can be magical or not). The attack against you fails, and the opponent is forced to reroll against themselves instead.
Chains: You can entangle your opponents with your chains, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus. The target of your attack must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or become entangled by a ghostly shadow of your weapon. The entanglement lasts for 1d4 rounds. If they make the save or you miss, the ability is not wasted and they are not entangled.
Polearms: Your reach is supernaturally long, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can extend your reach for one round. This ability has a 1d4 round cooldown, during which it cannot be used.

My god, that wording is choppy as hell. I think I get the point across alright-ish, though. Right?

Your first set were great, mainly because they provided new and exciting abilities. Blood of the Blade Lords offers a static yet incredibly significant bonus to crucial actions, but in a boring yet indispensable way...ergo, bad design. Magic Dead provides an interesting character twist and a new defense...at the expense of never allowing your character the utility and versatility that magic and magic items have to offer in a game where having magic items is assumed so much so that all encounters take that into account. Again, bad design.
Magic Dead is something I really want to make work. I'd appreciate any positive feedback you can give me. I feel like it can be done (if we can make Turing-complete computers in 3.5, which we can, we can make the magic-less character function dammit), and I want to make it a possibility.

You execute the concepts well, but they are inherently flawed design concepts (in my mind), and thus I'm afraid I can't approve of the Magic Dead or Blood of the Blade Lords feat lines.
You don't have to approve, and I appreciate the criticism (criticism, especially truly harsh criticism, really helps people get to their final product faster; this is why I miss a certain poster in the 'brew forum, since he was fantastic about this before he got banned), but I would like some positive suggestions to help me get where I want to be. :smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-12-31, 07:08 PM
My concept was to use the Magic Dead line to attempt to correct what VoP failed to do: make the magic-less character archetype viable in some fashion by providing a defense that was comparable. With Complete Immunity, you can literally stand there and a 20th level Archmage can't DO ANYTHING to you. That's a power that doesn't exist anywhere else, and while he can run away better than you can find him, he still will never be able to hurt you in any way at all.

I'll accept that it's something 3.5 was never meant to do, but it's something I want to change, and I felt like this would be the first logical step. Can you help me find my way to where I want to go?

I can try, but it's damn hard.

There's firstly the issue that Magic Dead doesn't make that much sense. If there's an illusion, I should still be fooled by it, as it's still there to be seen...unless it's not, in which case this works strangely, as the illusion has nothing to do with me directly. A summoned creature really is there, albeit only temporarily, so it should be able to hurt me. Having a character who is immune to magic is one thing, but having a character who can't interact with something extremely common in the game is strange. A wall of iron conjures real iron, even if it is limited in duration. You should never be able to just walk through it. It also interacts strangely with other beings...can I grapple a target with freedom of movement? What about see an invisible target? What about a target effected with buff spells that would alter the effects of my actions/attacks without harming me? What about something like Gate...would I fall through the portal, or would I be able to walk on top of it.

Further, my party can't heal me, can't revive me, can't teleport me. I can't accompany them through many things, and I'm just limiting their own fun as well as my own by limiting everyone's options.

Secondarily, and more importantly, D&D is built around scaling power and scaling abilities. A character with this feat isn't a magic-using character, and thus already fairly limited in abilities. Taking away magic items further limits the character, and an impenetrable defense isn't a fair thing to give back...it will honestly not be that fun when I'm stuck with my same 5 gimmicks from level 1 when I hit level 20. D&D is about risks and excitement, and being invincible to magical effects but unable to fight at least 50% of opponents isn't particularly exciting. I'll still likely never have a high enough BaB to hit a high AC target, nor enough weapon power to overcome magical defenses or DR.

Without writing a document of effects that are and aren't affected, we need to find another way to accomplish a similar, but possibly less universal, end, as well as to provide the player with enough options to still feel like a contributing member of the party at higher levels where magic and magical effects are considered a requirement by the game balance. A feat chain is a bad idea, as that forces those feats upon a player...no player who takes Magic Dead, for example, will miss the later improvements on that feat, which limits their freedom of choice even further.

There are two attempts I have seen: Vow of Poverty, and the Forsaker class from Masters of the Wild. Both gave huge numerical bonuses to make up for the loss of magic items, but both are considered limiting, largely underpowered, and fairly boring.

Honestly, I think you'd need to build the "feat" as a class, template, or bloodline to get the best effects, and you'd need to allow player choice in the abilities gained in this manner. Otherwise you're sapping player choice for a benefit that, while potent, is ultimately rather static compared to what they could have had. They trade risk, excitement, and choice for safety and defense. in any magical combat..not a choice that is conducive to fun gameplay.

It's the trickiest homebrew challenge I've ever encountered, actually...and I've attempted things like re-working the entire magic system, which was incredibly easy by comparison. I'm honestly not 100% sure how best to approach this problem in a balanced and ultimately fun manner...

I'll think about it though. This would be an incredibly piece of homebrew if it could be pulled off.

I felt like the bonus was not the right ability to have there. Perhaps... I've got an idea. Let me whip something together real quick...

[spoiler]
Swords: You gain the power to swing your blade with such fury that you duplicate the Flurry of Swords ability from your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus and all targets in a 50 ft long line emanating out from you must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or suffer an automatic critical hit. If a creature makes the save, they suffer only normal damage (not a critical hit).
Projectiles: You gain the power of your Blade Lord's shield, the power of the reflecting block. 1/day/4 character levels as an immediate action, you may declare a reflecting block against an incoming projectile attack (this can be magical or not). The attack against you fails, and the opponent is forced to reroll against themselves instead.
Polearms: Your reach is supernaturally long, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can extend your reach for one round. This ability has a 1d4 round cooldown, during which it cannot be used.

This is much better, although Swords and Projectiles are by far the most powerful at any level (especially high levels), and Polearms needs to list a distance by which it increases your reach. I'm also worried that Hammers is the only one that eventually maxes out. Basically, some scale and some don't (for example: entangling is much more useless at level 20 than outright blocking an attack, as entangling becomes weaker against high-level enemies and attacks and the effects they force upon you become stronger). A bit more balancing and this will work excellently. Perhaps you could even allow more uses if you tone down the power of Swords and Projectiles a bit (both abilities are incredibly potent if used properly).

You don't have to approve, and I appreciate the criticism (criticism, especially truly harsh criticism, really helps people get to their final product faster; this is why I miss a certain poster in the 'brew forum, since he was fantastic about this before he got banned), but I would like some positive suggestions to help me get where I want to be. :smallsmile:

Glad someone appreciates it. To many people get offended, which is never my intent. :smallbiggrin:

JKTrickster
2010-12-31, 07:14 PM
OH I love the new Blood of the Blade Lords feat. That is amazingly flavor and awesome. I have to go make a character just to use that.

I'm confused about the wording for Polearms: what do you mean by "extend your reach"? As in is that +5 ft, double your reach as per reach weapons, etc.?

Think you can make it into a chain of feats, like with Magic Dead? :smallbiggrin:

NichG
2010-12-31, 07:46 PM
As written, one could play a magic dead psion and still be versatile (and probably broken). That feels a bit counter to the idea of the feat chain though as eschewing the supernatural. Along those lines, things that give you supernatural but non-magical abilities would combo well (for instance, would this work with incarnum?).

A magic dead swordsage would probably be closer to a reasonable way to get versatility but still not depend on magic - most maneuvers aren't supernatural. There are even things in there that would help a bit with flight issues.

A magic dead character would have a really hard time with incorporeal enemies though, unless their spellbreaking strike could hit and disrupt incorporeality.

Generally I can see ways to make characters with it that would work, but it could be a trap for people not explicitly planning that sort thing.

On the other hand, in a more technological setting it could be more reasonable. So the party can't teleport with you, but at least you can ride the airplane/zeppelin/etc. Non-magical equipment bonuses help keep up a little bit.

It's also a bigger issue in a high-optimization/high-power game, where everyone buffs very effectively, since then you're missing out on more. In a lower power game where people don't buff as thoroughly or at all, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Temotei
2010-12-31, 08:14 PM
As written, one could play a magic dead psion and still be versatile (and probably broken).

The magic-psionics transparency suggestion rule would solve that problem, and most use that rule.

Magic Dead might work if you didn't directly benefit from magic (items or otherwise), but you could use magic items on others, whether with healing wands or with damaging weapons.

Just an idea. I'm really not sure about it, since I've never had significant experience with item-starved games.

Melayl
2010-12-31, 11:39 PM
Magic Dead is something I really want to make work. I'd appreciate any positive feedback you can give me. I feel like it can be done (if we can make Turing-complete computers in 3.5, which we can, we can make the magic-less character function dammit), and I want to make it a possibility.

You could possibly give them the ability to be immune to certain magical effects a certain number of times per day (declare use before or after a save?). The same with Spellbreaker and Complete Immunity. Perhaps they gain more total uses each time they gain a feat in the chain.

They then have a good benefit without being hosed, and become an asset to their party rather than a liability. If you want to add more of a limit, perhaps any magic currently effecting them (buffs, items, etc) is impaired for some duration each time they use the feat.

Just a suggestion. :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2011-01-01, 12:56 AM
My idea: How about Magic Dead gives you Spell Resistance equal to 15+ character level. You cannot willingly lower the spell resistance, and you may not willingly fail or ignore a saving throw on magical spells and abilities. However, by surrounding yourself with magic, this power can be overcome. For each magic weapon or item you have on your person, your Spell Resistance is reduced by 1 point. If you gain the ability to cast a spell or manifest a psionic power, you lose the benefits of this feat.

arguskos
2011-01-01, 04:12 PM
I can try, but it's damn hard.
Agreed.

There's firstly the issue that Magic Dead doesn't make that much sense. If there's an illusion, I should still be fooled by it, as it's still there to be seen...unless it's not, in which case this works strangely, as the illusion has nothing to do with me directly. A summoned creature really is there, albeit only temporarily, so it should be able to hurt me. Having a character who is immune to magic is one thing, but having a character who can't interact with something extremely common in the game is strange. A wall of iron conjures real iron, even if it is limited in duration. You should never be able to just walk through it. It also interacts strangely with other beings...can I grapple a target with freedom of movement? What about see an invisible target? What about a target effected with buff spells that would alter the effects of my actions/attacks without harming me? What about something like Gate...would I fall through the portal, or would I be able to walk on top of it.
Well, as written currently, Magic Dead does none of these things. Complete Immunity does. Magic Dead makes you immune to targeted effects. Point is understood though.

I figured that a character who has the quality of magic immunity should be this style of very rare bird who can do such things, just to even the playing field somewhat. Even though it's strange, it's also what needs to happen to make magic-less characters a possibility, as it gives them a defense against the overwhelming stupidity that is magic (and magic-like things).

Further, my party can't heal me, can't revive me, can't teleport me. I can't accompany them through many things, and I'm just limiting their own fun as well as my own by limiting everyone's options.
This was a concern of mine as well. It gets into "Badass Normal" territory, where one has to start asking the questions of "what is possible without magic? What's the limit?"

Secondarily, and more importantly, D&D is built around scaling power and scaling abilities. A character with this feat isn't a magic-using character, and thus already fairly limited in abilities. Taking away magic items further limits the character, and an impenetrable defense isn't a fair thing to give back...it will honestly not be that fun when I'm stuck with my same 5 gimmicks from level 1 when I hit level 20. D&D is about risks and excitement, and being invincible to magical effects but unable to fight at least 50% of opponents isn't particularly exciting. I'll still likely never have a high enough BaB to hit a high AC target, nor enough weapon power to overcome magical defenses or DR.
The beauty of homebrew is that we can get around that in certain ways. But, I'm not sure how without making another, less stupid, Vow of Poverty.

Without writing a document of effects that are and aren't affected, we need to find another way to accomplish a similar, but possibly less universal, end, as well as to provide the player with enough options to still feel like a contributing member of the party at higher levels where magic and magical effects are considered a requirement by the game balance. A feat chain is a bad idea, as that forces those feats upon a player...no player who takes Magic Dead, for example, will miss the later improvements on that feat, which limits their freedom of choice even further.
True. The issue with the feat chain is valid, and I didn't take that into account. Good call.

There are two attempts I have seen: Vow of Poverty, and the Forsaker class from Masters of the Wild. Both gave huge numerical bonuses to make up for the loss of magic items, but both are considered limiting, largely underpowered, and fairly boring.
I'd like to think that, if I have any skill as a brewer, it lies with making creative and exciting new options. I'm certain we can do that for the magic-less character too.

Honestly, I think you'd need to build the "feat" as a class, template, or bloodline to get the best effects, and you'd need to allow player choice in the abilities gained in this manner. Otherwise you're sapping player choice for a benefit that, while potent, is ultimately rather static compared to what they could have had. They trade risk, excitement, and choice for safety and defense. in any magical combat..not a choice that is conducive to fun gameplay.
Agreed. I'll muse on this further.

It's the trickiest homebrew challenge I've ever encountered, actually...and I've attempted things like re-working the entire magic system, which was incredibly easy by comparison. I'm honestly not 100% sure how best to approach this problem in a balanced and ultimately fun manner...

I'll think about it though. This would be an incredibly piece of homebrew if it could be pulled off.
I think it can be done, and I know I can do it. I just need... something, to pull it off. Not certain what. Going to work at this one for awhile, eventually perhaps including it in Zaaman-Rul.

This is much better, although Swords and Projectiles are by far the most powerful at any level (especially high levels), and Polearms needs to list a distance by which it increases your reach. I'm also worried that Hammers is the only one that eventually maxes out. Basically, some scale and some don't (for example: entangling is much more useless at level 20 than outright blocking an attack, as entangling becomes weaker against high-level enemies and attacks and the effects they force upon you become stronger). A bit more balancing and this will work excellently. Perhaps you could even allow more uses if you tone down the power of Swords and Projectiles a bit (both abilities are incredibly potent if used properly).
Yeah, I totaaaaaaally forgot the reach extension. It extends by 5 ft.

Swords is meant to be the most powerful for certain builds, actually, as a mild homage to the Blade Lord of Swords, the most powerful of the Lords. To be fair though, it's also only one crit, and only breaks for crit-focused builds. I might reduce the uses/day for Swords though.

As for Projectiles, trust me. That's the best thing I could figure out for him. Faaaaar better than duplicating Ephemeral Projection, a crazily strong ability. I'll fiddle around with it though.

Glad someone appreciates it. To many people get offended, which is never my intent. :smallbiggrin:
Like I said, Milskaisdith was one of my favorite posters around these parts.

OH I love the new Blood of the Blade Lords feat. That is amazingly flavor and awesome. I have to go make a character just to use that.

I'm confused about the wording for Polearms: what do you mean by "extend your reach"? As in is that +5 ft, double your reach as per reach weapons, etc.?
It's +5 ft. I'll edit it up.

Think you can make it into a chain of feats, like with Magic Dead? :smallbiggrin:
Likely, no.

As written, one could play a magic dead psion and still be versatile (and probably broken). That feels a bit counter to the idea of the feat chain though as eschewing the supernatural. Along those lines, things that give you supernatural but non-magical abilities would combo well (for instance, would this work with incarnum?).
As Temotei says, assume Magic-Psionic Transparency with Magic Dead as written.

On the other hand, in a more technological setting it could be more reasonable. So the party can't teleport with you, but at least you can ride the airplane/zeppelin/etc. Non-magical equipment bonuses help keep up a little bit.
This is a good point. In fact... hmm. *thinks*

It's also a bigger issue in a high-optimization/high-power game, where everyone buffs very effectively, since then you're missing out on more. In a lower power game where people don't buff as thoroughly or at all, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.
True enough, and a good point.

Magic Dead might work if you didn't directly benefit from magic (items or otherwise), but you could use magic items on others, whether with healing wands or with damaging weapons.

Just an idea. I'm really not sure about it, since I've never had significant experience with item-starved games.
Hmm. Good thought. I'll consider that.

You could possibly give them the ability to be immune to certain magical effects a certain number of times per day (declare use before or after a save?). The same with Spellbreaker and Complete Immunity. Perhaps they gain more total uses each time they gain a feat in the chain.

They then have a good benefit without being hosed, and become an asset to their party rather than a liability. If you want to add more of a limit, perhaps any magic currently effecting them (buffs, items, etc) is impaired for some duration each time they use the feat.

Just a suggestion. :smallsmile:
This is a possibility as well.

My idea: How about Magic Dead gives you Spell Resistance equal to 15+ character level. You cannot willingly lower the spell resistance, and you may not willingly fail or ignore a saving throw on magical spells and abilities. However, by surrounding yourself with magic, this power can be overcome. For each magic weapon or item you have on your person, your Spell Resistance is reduced by 1 point. If you gain the ability to cast a spell or manifest a psionic power, you lose the benefits of this feat.
I dislike SR as a concept, actually. It's too easily broken though.

For the moment, Magic Dead is being removed from the OP. I've got a lot of work to do on Magic Dead for the moment, and I think it needs to be pulled for the moment. Blood of the Blade Lords should be edited in a bit for clarification and balancing.

Betropper
2011-01-01, 04:22 PM
IDK if this was said already, but Thunderstomp needs 19+ STR, and at level one this is pretty impossible.

arguskos
2011-01-01, 04:34 PM
IDK if this was said already, but Thunderstomp needs 19+ STR, and at level one this is pretty impossible.
...it's not even close to impossible. Consider: an Orc and the heroic stat line. That's a 19 right there at level 1. Any race with a +2 to strength and a rolled 17 is good. It's quite possible to acquire. I'll reduce it to 17 though, given the large amount of objections.

Also, update to Blood of the Blade Lords:

Swords: You gain the power to swing your blade with such fury that you duplicate the Flurry of Swords ability from your Blade Lord. 1/day/5 character levels as a full-round action, you can make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus and all targets in a 50 ft long line emanating out from you must make a Reflex save (DC=the attack roll) or suffer an automatic critical hit. If a creature makes the save, they suffer only normal damage (not a critical hit).
Hammers: Your blood grants you the power of your patron to defeat magic. 1/day/4 character levels as a full-round action, you can declare a dispelling strike. You make a melee attack at your highest base attack bonus, and if you hit, the target of your attack is subject to a dispel magic-like effect (Caster Level=your character level).
Projectiles: You gain the power of your Blade Lord's shield, the power of the reflecting block. 1/day/4 character levels as an immediate action, you may declare a reflecting block against an incoming projectile attack (this can be magical or not). You make a Reflex save (DC=their attack roll). If you make the save, the projectile is reflected back towards the attacker, who rerolls against themselves.
Polearms: Your reach is supernaturally long, just like your Blade Lord. 1/day/4 character levels as a swift action, you can extend your reach by 5 ft for one round.

Special: This requires a bit of familiarity with my Blade Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146964) project. By the by, please don't necro that thread. :smallsmile: Additionally, Blood of the Blade Lords counts as the entire Weapon Focus tree (here defined as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and the Greater versions of both) for purposes of prerequisites for prestige classes, feats, and equipment.

arguskos
2011-01-03, 09:48 PM
Here, have a bump and a new few feats! :smallsmile: Don't forget to check out the post above this one for the updated Blood of the Blade Lords. Sword's uses/day have been reduced to 1/day/5 character levels to balance the power level, Hammers has no more CL cap, Polearms has been clarified, and Projectiles has an altered mechanic.

As promised, here are the Binding and Shadowcasting Quirks. I'd love some feedback, since they're definitely "quirky" abilities. :smalltongue:

Altering the Deal [1st]
"We had a deal!"
-Amon to a binder with Altering the Deal
Benefits: When binding a vestige with an ability that has a cooldown measured in rounds, you may give up access to one ability of that vestige in exchange for reducing that cooldown by 1 round/4 character levels. This decision must be made when you bind that vestige each day. You may only use this feat once per vestige, but may apply it to any number of vestiges each day. For example, Kratak the 8th level Binder binds Paimon and Amon. He chooses to sacrifice access to Paimon's Whirlwind Attack to reduce the cooldown time on Dance of Death, and to sacrifice access to Amon's Darkvision to reduce the cooldown time on Fire Breath.

Legacy of the Void [1st]
Your soul courses with the power of the inbetween places that man was never meant to know or realize.
Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. 1/day/2 character levels, as an immediate action, you may sacrifice one use of an apprentice mystery to gain an inherent bonus to your next saving throw or skill check equal to the level of the mystery sacrificed. As you grow in power, so does your connection to the void. At 7th level, you may sacrifice an initiate mystery instead, but doing so takes two of your daily uses of this feat, and at 13th level, you may sacrifice a master mystery, but doing so takes three of your daily uses of this feat.

Cieyrin
2011-01-04, 07:23 PM
Just saw this project and I like what I see. Arcane Unearthed has a similar concept in place, so having a look at what they put out could provide some inspiration.

There's a lot of feedback for the old stuff that I don't think I have any comments that haven't already been covered. I will say I like Altering the Deal and I wonder a bit about how useful Legacy of the Void really is, considering, without Ari Marmell's Shadowcaster fix, you're potentially burning through mysteries even faster for not a lot of benefit. I also don't see why they should be penalized for burning higher level mysteries by costing extra uses, as, again, their high-end stuff is in shorter supply than other full casters, which just makes this even less desirable. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2011-01-04, 08:59 PM
Just saw this project and I like what I see. Arcane Unearthed has a similar concept in place, so having a look at what they put out could provide some inspiration.

There's a lot of feedback for the old stuff that I don't think I have any comments that haven't already been covered. I will say I like Altering the Deal and I wonder a bit about how useful Legacy of the Void really is, considering, without Ari Marmell's Shadowcaster fix, you're potentially burning through mysteries even faster for not a lot of benefit. I also don't see why they should be penalized for burning higher level mysteries by costing extra uses, as, again, their high-end stuff is in shorter supply than other full casters, which just makes this even less desirable. :smallfrown:
This was based on those feats from Arcana Unearthed, so I beat you to that one. ;)

Legacy of the Void mirrors the shadowcaster progression, which I felt was important to do. I can increase the uses, but I'm unsure that's a good idea. Gaining a +9 inherent bonus to a save as an immediate action is... really strong and changes games.

Cieyrin
2011-01-05, 03:14 PM
This was based on those feats from Arcana Unearthed, so I beat you to that one. ;)

I tried futzing with AU's trait system myself but didn't get much of anywhere, mostly as I got distracted with other things, heh.

Legacy of the Void mirrors the shadowcaster progression, which I felt was important to do. I can increase the uses, but I'm unsure that's a good idea. Gaining a +9 inherent bonus to a save as an immediate action is... really strong and changes games.

Speaking of inherent, should it maybe an insight bonus, instead, as inherent bonii have a specific meaning in the system, usually meaning that it's permanent.

As for the immediate action save, when you only have 2 or 3 9th level mysteries in a day, not counting Orbs of Shadow, that's still a pretty big investment. It also only lasts for your next save, nvm if you get hit with several saves in that turn. So yeah, you have a good guarantee that you'll make one save but your also burning a powerful mystery that you most likely can't get back again that day without the proper item or ability. I don't think that's a decision to be made lightly but you shouldn't also be penalized anymore than a gish using Arcane Strike should be for using a high level spell to power his attacks that round, either.

arguskos
2011-01-05, 03:23 PM
I've got more content, go me! Shadows of Truth and Contorted Soul are new. Legacy of the Void is not, but a new line has been added at the end of the feat, after thinking about Cieryn's thoughts on the usability of the feat.
Legacy of the Void [1st]
Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. 1/day/2 character levels, as an immediate action, you may sacrifice one use of an apprentice mystery to gain an insight bonus to your next saving throw or skill check equal to the level of the mystery sacrificed. As you grow in power, so does your connection to the void. At 7th level, you may sacrifice an initiate mystery instead, but doing so takes two of your daily uses of this feat, and at 13th level, you may sacrifice a master mystery, but doing so takes three of your daily uses of this feat. As a special use of the feat, you may sacrifice a fundamental (spell level 0 gives a bonus of +1 in this case). Doing so does not take a daily use of this feat.

Shadows of Truth [1st]
Benefits: You are a smooth talker, able to convince anyone of anything, but this ability has a price. Anytime you use a mystery, you gain an inherent bonus to your next Bluff, Intimidate, or Diplomacy check equal to the level of the mystery. However, your shadow (which is always a bit off, as per standard shadowcaster rules) mimics your words mockingly. Anyone who makes a DC 20+mystery level Spot check can see the deception for what it is, and you do not gain the bonus to that check. You cannot benefit from this feat more than once per check, and if you would have multiple bonuses to the check you instead take the higher one.

Contorted Soul [1st]
Benefits: You have great manual dexterity, and for some unclear reason, your morality is just as fluid. You are always treated as whatever alignment is beneficial to you at that moment (ie. detect alignment spells always detect you as the most innocuous alignment, the holy word line always treats you as the best possible alignment for the results of the spell, etc). However, should you ever reveal your deception to someone, you lose access to this feat for 1 day, as the powers that grant you this evasion of the soul resent such behavior.
Special: Normally, I shy away from alignment restrictions on feats, but in this case, it seemed necessary. You can remove the alignment restriction if you wish, but I suggest leaving it or at least replacing it with something else thematically appropriate.

Also, I'm very happy to say that as of now, I have 17 of these, over half of which are unique and new. I still want as much feedback as people can give me though, as feedback is good stuff. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Woah, ninjad by Cieryn!

I tried futzing with AU's trait system myself but didn't get much of anywhere, mostly as I got distracted with other things, heh.
Yeaaaaah, me too. *glances at Z-R, is sad and is a bad person, gets back to ****ing work*

Speaking of inherent, should it maybe an insight bonus, instead, as inherent bonii have a specific meaning in the system, usually meaning that it's permanent.
Excellent idea! *goes to fix*

As for the immediate action save, when you only have 2 or 3 9th level mysteries in a day, not counting Orbs of Shadow, that's still a pretty big investment. It also only lasts for your next save, nvm if you get hit with several saves in that turn. So yeah, you have a good guarantee that you'll make one save but your also burning a powerful mystery that you most likely can't get back again that day without the proper item or ability. I don't think that's a decision to be made lightly but you shouldn't also be penalized anymore than a gish using Arcane Strike should be for using a high level spell to power his attacks that round, either.
I don't think you are being penalized more than a gish is by the feat. By the SYSTEM perhaps, but that's not the purpose of the feat to fix (that's Realms of Chaos' thing anyways :smalltongue:). I did add something else of constant utility though to the feat, so there's that.

Cieyrin
2011-01-05, 05:08 PM
To get the first first thing out of the way, it's Cieyrin, not Cieryn. :smalltongue:

Anyways, ikes the two new feats, though I think Contorted Soul is more of a Chaotic thing than an Evil one, as you're disregarding rules, which is the Lawful schtick.

Shadows of Truth has Inherent vs. Insight, again. I like how you can discover the deception, though I'd like to see a clause for Still Mystery, since that explicitly keeps your shadow under control and perhaps this usage as well.

Still don't really agree on Legacy, though giving a clause for fundamentals is neat.

arguskos
2011-01-05, 06:34 PM
To get the first first thing out of the way, it's Cieyrin, not Cieryn. :smalltongue:
Dammit. Thought I had it right. Sorry man.

Anyways, ikes the two new feats, though I think Contorted Soul is more of a Chaotic thing than an Evil one, as you're disregarding rules, which is the Lawful schtick.
The fact that it avoids all methods of detection is what pushed it into non-good territory for me. Mostly, I thought "why would a Good character need to take this? They have nothing to hide, and if they are forced to obscure their alignment, there are other, temporary, methods. This is something a Neutral or Evil character would want." Thus, the non-good tag.

Shadows of Truth has Inherent vs. Insight, again. I like how you can discover the deception, though I'd like to see a clause for Still Mystery, since that explicitly keeps your shadow under control and perhaps this usage as well.
Again, that's me conflating the two and being stupid. :smalltongue: Good call on Still. I'll add something about that.

Still don't really agree on Legacy, though giving a clause for fundamentals is neat.
It's basically Arcane Strike for saves that mirrors the shadowcaster's uses/day thing. I can reduce it to 1 use each, but then I think the feat needs to give less uses, to match the other Quirks thus far.

Also, don't forget, when you get unlimited fundamentals, Legacy of the Void becomes "Immediate Action: +1 to saves". :smallamused:

JKTrickster
2011-01-05, 07:16 PM
If you don't mind suggestions, why not something for high Cha characters out there? Not exactly sure what though....:smalltongue:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-05, 08:27 PM
Here, have a bump and a new few feats! :smallsmile: Don't forget to check out the post above this one for the updated Blood of the Blade Lords. Sword's uses/day have been reduced to 1/day/5 character levels to balance the power level, Hammers has no more CL cap, Polearms has been clarified, and Projectiles has an altered mechanic.

As promised, here are the Binding and Shadowcasting Quirks. I'd love some feedback, since they're definitely "quirky" abilities. :smalltongue:

Altering the Deal [1st]
"We had a deal!"
-Amon to a binder with Altering the Deal
Benefits: When binding a vestige with an ability that has a cooldown measured in rounds, you may give up access to one ability of that vestige in exchange for reducing that cooldown by 1 round/4 character levels. This decision must be made when you bind that vestige each day. You may only use this feat once per vestige, but may apply it to any number of vestiges each day. For example, Kratak the 8th level Binder binds Paimon and Amon. He chooses to sacrifice access to Paimon's Whirlwind Attack to reduce the cooldown time on Dance of Death, and to sacrifice access to Amon's Darkvision to reduce the cooldown time on Fire Breath.

Legacy of the Void [1st]
Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. 1/day/2 character levels, as an immediate action, you may sacrifice one use of an apprentice mystery to gain an inherent bonus to your next saving throw or skill check equal to the level of the mystery sacrificed. As you grow in power, so does your connection to the void. At 7th level, you may sacrifice an initiate mystery instead, but doing so takes two of your daily uses of this feat, and at 13th level, you may sacrifice a master mystery, but doing so takes three of your daily uses of this feat.

Really like Altering the deal. I think there's a Prestige class that gives you the same but you have to give up spells and what have you. The feat is much easier to get, characterful and great for getting more use out of your favorite vestige. It does, however, only reduce the interval by 1 and that's still a hefty interval of 4 rounds. Perhaps, if you feel game, another feat such as (Improved) with higher pre-requisites (but still 1st level accessible) could increase the benefit to 2 round cooldown, by sacrificing one or two abilities?

I don't really like Legacy of the Void, as the benefit it gives is limited per day too much and also is pretty small. It's also Immediate action hogging...

Then again I'm not super familiar with Shadowcaster, I've read the class and written a couple of builds, but I've never played one.

I've got more content, go me! Shadows of Truth and Contorted Soul are new. Legacy of the Void is not, but a new line has been added at the end of the feat, after thinking about Cieryn's thoughts on the usability of the feat.
Legacy of the Void [1st]

Shadows of Truth [1st]
Benefits: You are a smooth talker, able to convince anyone of anything, but this ability has a price. Anytime you use a mystery, you gain an inherent bonus to your next Bluff, Intimidate, or Diplomacy check equal to the level of the mystery. However, your shadow (which is always a bit off, as per standard shadowcaster rules) mimics your words mockingly. Anyone who makes a DC 20+mystery level Spot check can see the deception for what it is, and you do not gain the bonus to that check. You cannot benefit from this feat more than once per check, and if you would have multiple bonuses to the check you instead take the higher one.

Contorted Soul [1st]

Also, I'm very happy to say that as of now, I have 17 of these, over half of which are unique and new. I still want as much feedback as people can give me though, as feedback is good stuff. :smallsmile:
*snipity*

I love Shadows of Truth. It seems like Dark fantasy comedy, too, like some Shadowcaster trying to convince someone while his shadow makes choking imitiations in the background :smallbiggrin: I like how you simply lose the benefit if they don't make the (quite high) spot check, not the actual attempt itself.

I really like contorted soul, but I'd prefer no alignment restriction. It'd be useful Pelor Shadowspy like characters if nothing else. Perhaps a Charisma requirement or Disguise ranks. Perhaps you are unable to use alignment masks for yourself, such as Undectable Alignment.

The fact that it avoids all methods of detection is what pushed it into non-good territory for me. Mostly, I thought "why would a Good character need to take this? They have nothing to hide, and if they are forced to obscure their alignment, there are other, temporary, methods. This is something a Neutral or Evil character would want." Thus, the non-good tag.

It's basically Arcane Strike for saves that mirrors the shadowcaster's uses/day thing. I can reduce it to 1 use each, but then I think the feat needs to give less uses, to match the other Quirks thus far.

Also, don't forget, when you get unlimited fundamentals, Legacy of the Void becomes "Immediate Action: +1 to saves". :smallamused:

True on your first point. However, Non-lawful, perhaps? Other than that, I've talked about it above...

On the second thing, cool. I can understand that. On the third, I'm slightly confused, where is the unlimited coming from? I see 1/day/2 character levels as a hard limit, am I missing something?

Besides, immediate actions are precious, so you might want to beef it up a bit. Chosen of Evil with a binder, granting +# of Vile feats to an attack roll, save, check, skill chekc, or Abrupt Jaunt, etc, all are begging for immediate actions. As is Celerity, featherfall, Madness domain, etc.

arguskos
2011-01-05, 10:08 PM
Really like Altering the deal. I think there's a Prestige class that gives you the same but you have to give up spells and what have you. The feat is much easier to get, characterful and great for getting more use out of your favorite vestige. It does, however, only reduce the interval by 1 and that's still a hefty interval of 4 rounds. Perhaps, if you feel game, another feat such as (Improved) with higher pre-requisites (but still 1st level accessible) could increase the benefit to 2 round cooldown, by sacrificing one or two abilities?
It actually reduces by 1 round/4 character levels. :smallwink:

I don't really like Legacy of the Void, as the benefit it gives is limited per day too much and also is pretty small. It's also Immediate action hogging...
It's a fairly large number of uses (max 10). Given that these feats aren't meant to be the biggest power boost ever, that it gives you another option is good IMO.

I love Shadows of Truth. It seems like Dark fantasy comedy, too, like some Shadowcaster trying to convince someone while his shadow makes choking imitiations in the background :smallbiggrin: I like how you simply lose the benefit if they don't make the (quite high) spot check, not the actual attempt itself.
Everyone seems to like Shadows of Truth, and I do too. :smallbiggrin:

I really like contorted soul, but I'd prefer no alignment restriction. It'd be useful Pelor Shadowspy like characters if nothing else. Perhaps a Charisma requirement or Disguise ranks. Perhaps you are unable to use alignment masks for yourself, such as Undectable Alignment.
Eh, why would you need alignment masks? You ARE an alignment mask. :smalltongue:

True on your first point. However, Non-lawful, perhaps? Other than that, I've talked about it above...
Eh. I like the non-good, but if enough folks would prefer non-lawful, I can change it.

On the second thing, cool. I can understand that. On the third, I'm slightly confused, where is the unlimited coming from? I see 1/day/2 character levels as a hard limit, am I missing something?
Check the last line.

Besides, immediate actions are precious, so you might want to beef it up a bit. Chosen of Evil with a binder, granting +# of Vile feats to an attack roll, save, check, skill chekc, or Abrupt Jaunt, etc, all are begging for immediate actions. As is Celerity, featherfall, Madness domain, etc.
Only in moderate optimization games. I might change it somewhat, I've had another idea on that front. I'll see what comes out of the madness machine.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-05, 10:24 PM
It actually reduces by 1 round/4 character levels. :smallwink:

:smallredface:

Very cool. I love it! :smallbiggrin:

It's a fairly large number of uses (max 10). Given that these feats aren't meant to be the biggest power boost ever, that it gives you another option is good IMO.

At 20th level, but normally it's about 4-7 uses per day. It does give you another option, which is nice, but it also takes up a feat. (Obviously).

Everyone seems to like Shadows of Truth, and I do too. :smallbiggrin:

Eh, why would you need alignment masks? You ARE an alignment mask. :smalltongue:

Yeah, but sometimes you want to be undectable totally, so if gung ho detect evil spammer is just spamming it in one direction, and you're hiding, you don't want to show up at all. If you had it so the feat hates you if you do that, that'd be a good balancing factor.

Check the last line.

...You need to unspoiler it, I thought it was an idea. :smallredface:

Honest. :smallredface:

In that case, that's pretty cool. I missed that line, but it is a very nice feat now, pretty much giving you a +1 on a save 1/round as you say.

Only in moderate optimization games. I might change it somewhat, I've had another idea on that front. I'll see what comes out of the madness machine.

I look forward to it!

arguskos
2011-01-06, 07:04 PM
At 20th level, but normally it's about 4-7 uses per day. It does give you another option, which is nice, but it also takes up a feat. (Obviously).
It's a free feat slot too. :smalltongue: I don't see the issue.

Now, if this was a standard feat, ok, you'd have some points. Given that it's a free feat slot and a free bonus, I don't see the concern really.

Yeah, but sometimes you want to be undectable totally, so if gung ho detect evil spammer is just spamming it in one direction, and you're hiding, you don't want to show up at all. If you had it so the feat hates you if you do that, that'd be a good balancing factor.
Contorted Soul is non-optional. It works all the time, meaning you are always "hidden" in that regard.

In that case, that's pretty cool. I missed that line, but it is a very nice feat now, pretty much giving you a +1 on a save 1/round as you say.
Exactly.

I look forward to it!
Here's something for you. The following is an idea, not confirmed.

Legacy of the Void [1st]
Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. Whenever you use a mystery, you may as a free action, gain an insight bonus to your next saving throw equal to the level of the mystery. You may only use this feat 1/day/4 character levels, and the benefit of this feat does not stack, but overrides itself.

This is far more powerful, and I kinda don't like it. It buffs mystery use, which is good, but it strikes me as really powerful and potentially brokenly powerful (oh, a benefit for doing that thing I was gonna do anyways, yay!). Still, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Cieyrin
2011-01-06, 07:31 PM
I

Legacy of the Void [1st]
Benefits: You may tap into the void that exists beneath and beyond all things, but doing so has a price. Whenever you use a mystery, you may as a free action, gain an insight bonus to your next saving throw equal to the level of the mystery. You may only use this feat 1/day/4 character levels, and the benefit of this feat does not stack, but overrides itself.

This is far more powerful, and I kinda don't like it. It buffs mystery use, which is good, but it strikes me as really powerful and potentially brokenly powerful (oh, a benefit for doing that thing I was gonna do anyways, yay!). Still, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Yeah, I think I prefer the other version, as this just gets silly.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-06, 07:39 PM
It's a free feat slot too. :smalltongue: I don't see the issue.

Now, if this was a standard feat, ok, you'd have some points. Given that it's a free feat slot and a free bonus, I don't see the concern really.

Not an issue as such, but just that it doesn't hit me as a feat that will come in useful for many characters (only mainly singleclassed Shadowcasters) and for the characters it is useful for its competing with other caster related feats and metashadow feats. (I'm not sure how useful Metashadow feats are, to be honest)

Contorted Soul is non-optional. It works all the time, meaning you are always "hidden" in that regard.

So if I'm hiding, it'll show up as nothing? In that case, it's even better :smallbiggrin:

Legacy of the Void [1st]

Balanced and useful, I like it. It doesn't have the unlimited +1 part, but for what this gives you it's pretty awesome. It scales nicely (of course) and is limited per day as to keep it sane. Good feat. :smallsmile:

To contrast, there's Cloudy Conjuration. A feat for Spell Focus (Conjuration) or Conjurers, it makes a 5ft square go cloudy, providing cover, and sickening creatures inside. Your summons are immune to it, as well. This is a feat that goes off every time you cast a conjuration spell, which is, well, pretty damn good. Glitterdust, Dimension Door, firebolt, Cloudkill, Summons, and Buzzing bee, blockade, mage armor, the list goes on.

arguskos
2011-01-06, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I think I prefer the other version, as this just gets silly.
That's my thinking.

Not an issue as such, but just that it doesn't hit me as a feat that will come in useful for many characters (only mainly singleclassed Shadowcasters) and for the characters it is useful for its competing with other caster related feats and metashadow feats. (I'm not sure how useful Metashadow feats are, to be honest)
Metashadow feats are a great idea, expanded upon by Descent of Shadows until they became actually good.

So if I'm hiding, it'll show up as nothing? In that case, it's even better :smallbiggrin:
Well, considering that I have no idea how a detect evil spell interacts with a guy who's actively trying not to be seen, I have no idea. However, if the spell sees you, you'll show up as Good-aligned for the purposes of that spell (ie. the best available option).

Balanced and useful, I like it. It doesn't have the unlimited +1 part, but for what this gives you it's pretty awesome. It scales nicely (of course) and is limited per day as to keep it sane. Good feat. :smallsmile:
Eh. I dislike it compared to the original. Still, I'll keep it around for more discussion.

To contrast, there's Cloudy Conjuration. A feat for Spell Focus (Conjuration) or Conjurers, it makes a 5ft square go cloudy, providing cover, and sickening creatures inside. Your summons are immune to it, as well. This is a feat that goes off every time you cast a conjuration spell, which is, well, pretty damn good. Glitterdust, Dimension Door, firebolt, Cloudkill, Summons, and Buzzing bee, blockade, mage armor, the list goes on.
Cloudy Conjuration, one of the most absurd feats ever made. Saying this is weaker than CC isn't saying much, since CC is crazy levels of amazing. :smalltongue:

Roc Ness
2011-01-07, 07:30 AM
This stuff is good. Kudos! :smallbiggrin:

My only complaint is about Spell Thematics; I like the idea, but I find that the mandatory change of spell element is restrictive. :smallfrown:

arguskos
2011-01-07, 04:20 PM
This stuff is good. Kudos, arguskos! :smallbiggrin:
Roc, I am very disappoint. You know better than to capitalize my name. :smalltongue:

Also, glad you like it! :smallsmile:

My only complaint is about Spell Thematics; I like the idea, but I find that the mandatory change of spell element is restrictive. :smallfrown:
I felt that having the change be mandatory gives Spell Thematics a unique feel and enough of a drawback that it's a decent fit for a free feat and the bonuses the feat gives.

Roc Ness
2011-01-07, 06:29 PM
Roc, I am very disappoint. You know better than to capitalize my name. :smalltongue:

What name? >.>

:smalltongue:

I felt that having the change be mandatory gives Spell Thematics a unique feel and enough of a drawback that it's a decent fit for a free feat and the bonuses the feat gives.

I suppose that makes sense. It's just that I like my fireballs fiery and my lightning bolts sparkly, regardless of how they both have snowflake aftereffects. :smallwink:

arguskos
2011-01-07, 06:35 PM
What name? >.>

:smalltongue:
Oh ho ho, I see what you did there. EDIT button, eh you fiend? I won't forget this, oh no I won't.

I suppose that makes sense. It's just that I like my fireballs fiery and my lightning bolts sparkly, regardless of how they both have snowflake aftereffects. :smallwink:
Well, tough. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm still awaiting thoughts on the Legacy of the Void debate. Do I go with the version in the OP, or the version in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10109797#post10109797) post?

Roc Ness
2011-01-07, 06:57 PM
Oh ho ho, I see what you did there. EDIT button, eh you fiend? I won't forget this, oh no I won't.

Allow me to retort:

Mental Wipe [1st, Psionic]
You used to have this problem of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Not anymore.
Benefits: You gain a unique use for your power points. By spending 1 power point as a standard action, you can attempt to force one target to make a Will Save (DC 10+Wis Mod+1/2 Character Level). Failure results in the target forgetting one word, phrase or sentence it heard or read within the last 10 minutes. No target may be affected by this ability more than once per day.
I hope I did a good job with that. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm still awaiting thoughts on the Legacy of the Void debate. Do I go with the version in the OP, or the version in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10109797#post10109797) post?

Hmm... I suppose the one in the OP is less powerful. Yes, I think the OP one might be better.

unosarta
2011-01-07, 07:11 PM
Allow me to retort:

You used to have this problem of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Not anymore.
Benefits: You gain a unique use for your power points. By spending 1 power point as a standard action, you can attempt to force one target to make a Will Save (DC 10+Wis Mod+1/2 Character Level). Failure results in the target forgetting one word, phrase or sentence it heard or read within the last 10 minutes. No target may be affected by this ability more than once per day.
I hope I did a good job with that. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm... I suppose the one in the OP is less powerful. Yes, I think the OP one might be better.
Can more than one powerpoint be spent per standard action?

Otherwise, this seems in line or lower than the power level of the other feats.

arguskos
2011-01-08, 02:03 PM
Can more than one powerpoint be spent per standard action?

Otherwise, this seems in line or lower than the power level of the other feats.
Agreed. Mental Wipe seems... weak. Needs buffs, but I like the idea.

peacenlove
2011-01-08, 07:07 PM
Legacy of the Void [1st]

This feat is quite nice at low levels, where your immediate actions won't do much. The added clause for fundamentals makes it appealing at mid levels until you get the ioun stone. I believe the uses per day are quite right, the only improvement i would suggest is that the bonus lasts until the start of your turn instead of the next save.

Shadows of Truth [1st]

Still mystery applies to mysteries not to feat uses so you are safe. However what if you somehow do not have a shadow? (being invisible or under cover). Also for how long does that bonus last? I mean can i cast the mystery at the morning deciding that at the same afternoon i will try to bluff the king (my next bluff check), or must I use it on the next round/minute/whatever?

Contorted Soul [1st]
My real confusion is how you link alignment fluidity with manual dexterity :smallconfused:
Wisdom or intelligence IMO would be a more appropriate stat since you effectively "sense" and "trick" alignment magic.

Roc Ness
2011-01-09, 02:58 AM
Hmm, okay then, we'll add more Power Points per standard action.

Benefits: You gain a unique use for your power points. By spending power points as a standard action, you can attempt to force a number of targets equal to your power points spent to make a Will Save (DC 10+Wis Mod+1/2 Character Level). Failure results in the target(s) forgetting one word, phrase or sentence it heard or read within the last 10 minutes. No target may be affected by this ability more than once per day. The maximum number of power points that can be spent in a standard action is equal to your character level.
My wording is clumsy. :\

Ziegander
2011-01-09, 02:23 PM
I would also allow you to spend additional power points on a single target so that they forget more than one thing. So you could spend 7 power points (if you're 7th level) to target 5 people, and one of those five forgets three words.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-23, 07:18 PM
I really love Mental wipe, It's awesome. Only thing that sucks is 1/day.