PDA

View Full Version : Help with Firefox spellchecker.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-26, 11:05 PM
Is there a a way to have two (or more) default languages for the spell checker? I am a bit tired of having to manually change the language when I want to write in English or Spanish. (Yes I am that lazy)

I have the most recent version of Firefox AFAIK, if that matters.

Thanks in advance

DeadManSleeping
2010-12-26, 11:16 PM
You've already got a multilingual spellchecker! It's sitting at a keyboard, typing your post. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-26, 11:17 PM
Err yeah, but I have an atrocious spelling normally, so I rely (maybe too much) on the spell checker:smallredface:

Amiel
2010-12-26, 11:22 PM
You could always input the word into Google to determine whether you spelt the word correctly.

I'm a bit wary of Firefox's spellchecker as it doesn't pick up the majority of correctly spelt words.
Case in point; it doesn't recognise spelt (both words) :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-26, 11:23 PM
You could always input the word into Google to determine whether you spelt the word correctly.

I'm a bit wary of Firefox's spellchecker as it doesn't pick up the majority of correctly spelt words.
Case in point; it doesn't recognise spelt (both words) :smalltongue:

Now that you mention that, I am not sure if I am using the browsers default spell-checker ^_^U

Let me check my plug-ins

Edit: Actually they are the Add-on; the British English Dictionary 1.19.1 and the Diccionario Español México 1.2.1

Amiel
2010-12-26, 11:26 PM
Actually, go to
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Check my spelling as I type

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-26, 11:28 PM
No, I have that option on, the problem is that the spell-checker only works on English or Spanish at a time, I want to know if there is a way to have the browser spell check for both languages at the same time

Mr. Moon
2010-12-27, 12:10 AM
You've already got a multilingual spellchecker! It's sitting at a keyboard, typing your post. :smalltongue:

*looks around* Who's typing my post for me? Who's sitting at my keyboard?
OGAWD THERE ARE NINJAS CHECKING MY SPELLING.
<<
Srsly, though, I am completely reliant on spell-checkers. I've gotten a lot better about it in the past few years, but having a spell checker is still a massive necessity. I mean, how am I supposed to spell words like "necessity" and "supposed" without one?
I can't, that's how.

Anyway, back on topic. If you right-click in the text box, you should (or I do, at least) get an option at the bottom. "Undo | Cut, Copy, Paste | Select All | Check Spelling, Languages > *whatever dictionaries you have installed*" It may or may not be longer, depending upon what aps you have. When you switch between languages, you should be able to just pick out which one you want that way.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-27, 12:12 AM
*looks around* Who's typing my post for me? Who's sitting at my keyboard?
OGAWD THERE ARE NINJAS CHECKING MY SPELLING.
<<
Srsly, though, I am completely reliant on spell-checkers. I've gotten a lot better about it in the past few years, but having a spell checker is still a massive necessity. I mean, how am I supposed to spell words like "necessity" and "supposed" without one?
I can't, that's how.

Anyway, back on topic. If you right-click in the text box, you should (or I do, at least) get an option at the bottom. "Undo | Cut Copy Paste | Select All | Check Spelling Languages > *whatever dictionaries you have installed*" It may or may not be longer, depending upon what aps you have. When you switch between languages, you should be able to just pick out which one you want that way.

This is the problem, I hate to have to manually change it, every time I switch from writing in English to Spanish and vice-versa, so I want to know if there is a way to have them both active at the same time.

But I think there might not be the option :smallfrown:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-27, 12:23 AM
It's like, three clicks, man.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-27, 12:24 AM
Is there a a way to have two (or more) default languages for the spell checker? I am a bit tired of having to manually change the language when I want to write in English or Spanish. (Yes I am that lazy)

I have the most recent version of Firefox AFAIK, if that matters.

Thanks in advance

Emphasis mine :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-27, 12:37 AM
:smalltongue:
Oh, just manually switch. It's not like you have to wait for anything to load or go into your tool-bars.