PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] PrC entry with divine caster level 1st?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-27, 03:40 AM
I'm trying to scope out future development options for a sneak attacking goblin character I'm building. One of the class choices for getting the necessary "If you get a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses to damage stack" sneak attack stacking language gives minor divine spellcasting (0 1st-level spells per day, caster level 1st). I'm wondering if there are some prestige classes that would allow entry with no other spellcasting ability than this.

The inspiration was Assassin (with INT 20) -> Unseen Seer. That barely qualifies for entry by virtue of bonus spells (arcane caster level 1st, able to cast both of the level 1 Assassin divination spells). Unfortunately, the goblin can't have a high INT (thank you, Incarnate Construct template :smallmad:); that rules out this arcane option. So I'm looking for a similar divine counterpart for Justiciar of Taiia -> ???.

Darrin
2010-12-27, 08:43 AM
I'm trying to scope out future development options for a sneak attacking goblin character I'm building. One of the class choices for getting the necessary "If you get a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses to damage stack" sneak attack stacking language gives minor divine spellcasting (0 1st-level spells per day, caster level 1st). I'm wondering if there are some prestige classes that would allow entry with no other spellcasting ability than this.

Temple Raider of Olidammara won't work? (Divine casting, sneak attack and yes it has the "stacking" text.)

Slayer of Domiel (BoED) might be worth a look, too.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-27, 10:52 AM
Temple Raider of Olidammara won't work?
Slayer of Domiel (BoED) might be worth a look, too.
Huh? Neither of these require divine caster level 1st.

Darrin
2010-12-27, 02:10 PM
Huh? Neither of these require divine caster level 1st.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for a PrC that granted Sneak Attack and divine spell slots.

So you're looking for something like Unseen Seer, but +1 divine CLs (or just +1 non-specific CLs). Hmm... not sure I've seen that, I'll have to dig around a bit more.

Hmmm. Arcane Trickster can be used to advance divine spellcasting if you can meet the requirements. Magical Training (PGtF) + Dragonsblood Pool (CMage)?

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 03:04 PM
So you want a PrC that requires a caster level 1, but not 1st level divine spells?

That is a doozy.

Hmm... Whatever PrCs an artificer could qualify for seem like a start for further examination, since they just have a caster level rather than arcane or divine casting.

Hmm, nosomatic chirurgen(dragonmarked, I believe) advances divine casting (I think 4/10) but doesn't require any divine casting in order to enter it, and gives adept casting if one enters without a divine casting class. But doesn't really go with the sneak attacking motif, I think.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-27, 10:10 PM
So you want a PrC that requires a caster level 1, but not 1st level divine spells?

That is a doozy.
No, it could require 1st level spells, but not more than the 2 that you could get as bonus spells with a 20 stat. That's the limit.

I'm just trying to see if there's a way to leverage the minor divine spellcasting capability this character will pick up with a level of Justiciar of Taiia. That wasn't something I was looking for, but I'd like to see if there's a way to make that work for the character. JoT has a pretty weak spell list, yet I could see some value in expanding that with a divine spellcasting PrC. Something with Cleric spells would allow use of Grave Strike; Ranger spells include Sniper's Shot. These are good augments to a sneak attacking character, and if I could get there with a prestige class I already qualify for that would be nifty.

So that's why I'm asking.

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 10:54 PM
Ah, well that eases up the requirements a bit. Though I don't think I've heard of any PrCs for divine casters that add spells to one's class list, other than PrC paladin and ranger anyway or something like Sovereign Speaker which increases a character's number of domains. Be interesting if anyone finds one or more.

Darrin
2010-12-27, 11:41 PM
Black Flame Zealot (CDiv). You've probably already looked at this... for 3 levels, +1 CL and +1d6 SA. Meh.

Strifeleader (Faiths & Pantheons). Requirements are all over the place, though.

Mythic Exemplar (CChamp). Pick Dardallion, and you get +1 CL every other level and sneak attack at 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th. It's not clear how it stacks with previous SA, though.

Sanctified One (CChamp). This is odd. +1 CL at 2nd and 4th, and with Olidammara you get Rogue's Blessing at 1st/3rd/5th, which grants +1d8 (???) sneak attack damage for every 2 levels of Sanctified One. They didn't fix it in the errata, either. WTF?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-28, 12:07 AM
Black Flame Zealot (CDiv).
That requires 2nd level spellcasting, so no go.

Strifeleader (Faiths & Pantheons). Requirements are all over the place, though.
That's even worse: must be able to cast 3rd-level divine spells.

Mythic Exemplar (CChamp). Pick Dardallion, and you get +1 CL every other level and sneak attack at 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th. It's not clear how it stacks with previous SA, though.
That's an odd one. I couldn't qualify based on divine spellcasting, but could by virtue of sneak attack. In 10 levels it'll give +4d6 sneak attack and +4 spellcasting levels. Won't help with the spells known, though. Anyway, sneak attack stacking is already established by Justiciar of Taiia. You just need one class that states that its sneak attack stacks with other sources and you're set.

Sanctified One (CChamp). This is odd. +1 CL at 2nd and 4th, and with Olidammara you get Rogue's Blessing at 1st/3rd/5th, which grants +1d8 (???) sneak attack damage for every 2 levels of Sanctified One. They didn't fix it in the errata, either. WTF? You can only get Rogue's Blessing once; it doesn't have the * allowing multiple blessings. By the way, sneak attack damage isn't always in d6s; it can be d8s against evil opponents if you have the Sacred Strike feat. Also, this class doesn't actually require divine spellcasting to enter.

So I guess we're drawing a blank on PrCs that you can enter with 1st level divine spellcasting?

Bizlowe
2010-12-28, 12:24 AM
Unless I am misunderstanding the request I'm thinking The Compemplative from Complete Divine maybe? requires a large Religion buy in, but still has a 1st level divine spell requirement (and a special of course).

Coidzor
2010-12-28, 12:33 AM
Hmm. I believe Knight of the Skull from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting fits, though it's Lawful Evil only, I believe. Similarly, it requires a level of Knight of the Crown, but Knight of the Sword is a LG-only PrC that only requires 1st level divine casting. And it's 10-for-10 casting (although the knight of the crown level really makes it 10/11 casting).

Those would both require adaptation and are of somewhat nebulous place in terms of legitimacy.

And of course, do nothing to expand one's spells known.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-28, 01:41 AM
Unless I am misunderstanding the request I'm thinking The Compemplative from Complete Divine maybe? requires a large Religion buy in, but still has a 1st level divine spell requirement (and a special of course).
Yes, that's a good option for a Justiciar of Taiia (well, from level 11 on), because Contemplative grants a bonus domain on entry, and Taiia offers twenty domains. The "extra domains" rule in Complete Divine (page 20) still limits you to one domain spell at each level, but that plus the granted power isn't bad (except for only having 1st level spells, of course).

Of course, nearly half of those 20 domains are written to require Cleric levels for use:

Death's Death Touch does nothing without Cleric levels.
Destruction's Smite offers no damage bonus without Cleric levels.
Knowledge adds skills to your Cleric class list.
Protection's bonus is proportional to your Cleric level.
Strength gives a bonus only with Cleric levels.
Sun requires undead turning.
Travel gives Freedom of Movement lite* but only if you have Cleric levels.
Trickery adds skills to your Cleric class list.
But if you want to be able to turn/rebuke air, earth, fire, or water creatures you're in luck. :smallamused:

Darrin
2010-12-28, 08:13 AM
You can only get Rogue's Blessing once; it doesn't have the * allowing multiple blessings.

You don't need Rogue's Blessing more than once, since the bonus is determined by your class level and there's no activation cost, uses per day, or duration listed. 4 levels of Sanctified One may be the best deal available: +2 CL, +2d8 sneak attack damage, and one other sanctified ability.

A dip into Sandshaper adds a little bit better spell selection. Another 3 levels of Justicar of Taiia might not be a bad idea, either: +3 BAB, 2nd level spells, +1d6 sneak attack.