PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age RPG

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-12-27, 08:52 AM
Hi there! I'm currently playing the Dragon Age RPG (the actual RPG, not the videogame).

To my surprise, it's an incredibly fast and playable game. It has passed much time since I enjoy so much roleplaying.

Have you already played it? What do you think?

[PD: and most important, does anybody know how to apply the backstab rule from the rogue?] :smallannoyed:

Otogi
2010-12-27, 09:15 AM
I've heard of it, but never really found anything else about it. How's character customization?

ninja_penguin
2010-12-27, 09:30 AM
Our group is playing the starting module bit that they have.

Somebody in heavy armor is seriously needed, and they also need to know positioning well enough to make themselves the logical target for attacks. The very first encounter that we had, if it had not been for the guy in heavy armor soaking up 7 damage a hit, it would have been an immediate TPK, because the DM couldn't stop stunting for 4 or more points. (why hello again, knock prone and lightning attack)

Rogue backstabbing: At level 1, to backstab somebody:

1. Move adjacent to an opponent that you were not adjacent to at the beginning of the turn.
2. Roll contested Dexterity(Stealth) vs Perception(seeing[?])
3. If you win, enjoy your +2 attack and +1d6 damage.

At level 3 or 4, there's a rogue feature that let's you do communication(bluff) vs something to shank a guy you started next to.

For character customization, I'd say it's so-so. There is plenty of opportunity for customization (every level you can add a skill focus and gain one ability point. You're required to swap between two listed pools every level so you don't just mega pump Strength/Dexterity/Magic), but some things are more important than others. For example, I think everybody is going to be hammering dexterity when possible so they can actually try and avoid being hit.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-12-27, 09:57 AM
Rogue backstabbing: At level 1, to backstab somebody:

1. Move adjacent to an opponent that you were not adjacent to at the beginning of the turn.
2. Roll contested Dexterity(Stealth) vs Perception(seeing[?])
3. If you win, enjoy your +2 attack and +1d6 damage.

Yes, but it doesn't state that you must be hidden from the beggining, does it? The only prerequisite is to roll a stealth check while not adjacent, if I'm not mistaked.

As for customization, every level you get something (a special class ability, a focus, a talent, and/or ability increase), so I would say is highly customizable. The only con is that, as the main feature of the game is its quickness of play, there is not so much combat and magic options. Although when you solve a tough combat in less than half an hour (oppose to the 3 average hours of 4E), you don't care anymore.

ninja_penguin
2010-12-27, 11:19 AM
That's right, you just have to beat a 'he doesn't see me coming' check as you close. No fancy prancing about into cover, total cover, concealment, or invisibility. Just a 'LOOK OVER THERE!' contest before shankery ensues.

Mecharious
2010-12-27, 11:21 AM
Is it just me, or is dual-wielding absolutely craptastic in this system?

ninja_penguin
2010-12-27, 11:24 AM
Hm, i don't recall, but as I think the fighter-type guy in our group went 'haha, no', I guess. He's actually stowed his two-hander for going sword in board so he can avoid being hit as much, so I'm guessing double-wielding isn't too spectacular.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-12-27, 12:27 PM
There's a legally downloadble Set 2 already in playtesting stage thah includes the duelist specialization, making the dual weapon rogue somewhat better. You can find it in the green ronin web.

Benejeseret
2010-12-27, 01:51 PM
Have it, read it, never really played it.

Somehow my group was never really wowed by the system. We love the setting, but could not get up the momentum to make characters.

ZeltArruin
2010-12-27, 04:03 PM
When I found out about the system I was already way into the Dragon Age computer game, so I liked the system pretty quickly. It actually functions very closely to exactly what I want from rpgs, quick resolution to combats, simple skills and junk and yet still has exciting and face paced action. I have yet to play it, but I really want too.

Oh, also character creation and levelling up is a quick process, another plus for me.