PDA

View Full Version : Is Savage Worlds any good?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-27, 01:21 PM
I normally like to stick with Basic Roleplaying and D&D 4th Edition, but I heard that Savage Worlds is really good. Deadlands Reloaded and Runepunk intrigue me, but I'd like to know more before I buy them. Since there is no free trial (as far as I know), I would love some guidance and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Shalist
2010-12-27, 02:30 PM
There are free trials, they call it the 'test drive (http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf)':

http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html

And I like the system. In some ways, its just a greatly simplified version of D 'n D--for instance, instead of hitpoints, you have wound levels / damage reduction (toughness), and instead of having a million different weapon skills and proficiencies, you have 'fighting,' 'shooting,' and 'throwing.' As a result, its easy to learn, and combat can go pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

You can reflavor things however you want to suit your tastes (and this is strongly encouraged for casting, ie the scientist shooting a ray gun, and the wizard shooting a magic missle, could be the exact same mechanically), but the mechanics themselves are designed for maximum tweakability, without any of the usual interconnected crud that makes fiddling with regular systems a pain.

edit: I seem to remember there being trial modules too, quick 1-shot campaigns for potential new players / DMs to try the system out, but its been a while since I've pnp'd.

Matthew
2010-12-27, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it is fine. A lighter rule set than BRP, with dice size representing ability levels. The test drives will give you a fair indication.

Knaight
2010-12-27, 05:53 PM
Its OK. It has some extremely major issues regarding consistency of rules complexity, and a few other problems, but it is fine. That said, I would recommend going with Cortex instead. Its similar, albeit better across the board.

Kaldrin
2010-12-27, 06:10 PM
It's a great game if you don't take it too seriously. It's meant to be still epic-worthy and also more generalized system for a lot of things. We're using it now for a post apoc game. We've also used it for cartoon, cheesy noir mystery and aliens vs. predators games.

I wouldn't play it all the time, but it's a nice break from any system that takes itself too seriously.

Lord Bingo
2010-12-27, 07:00 PM
Some of the best fun I have had with rpg's have been with Savage Worlds. It is easy to learn yet complex enough that you can get some really interesting gaming out of it. The one complaint I would have is the magic rules but this can be amended by using the super powered magic rules from the Necessary Evil campaign setting (really good too).

As I said, Necessary Evil is a really good campaign setting. You can also have a really good time in as a soldier fighting the Vietcong in Tour of Darkness. Deadlands Reloaded is another brilliant setting. There are several more great settings.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-12-27, 08:18 PM
Its OK. It has some extremely major issues regarding consistency of rules complexity, and a few other problems, but it is fine. That said, I would recommend going with Cortex instead. Its similar, albeit better across the board.

Really? I heard it's not very good. :smallconfused:

Kiero
2010-12-27, 08:22 PM
It's a fairly reasonable rules-medium system. There's some problems with combat (something or other to do with Shaken), but they're fix-able.

Raum
2010-12-28, 12:27 AM
Really? I heard it's not very good. :smallconfused:Some people dislike it - sometimes for it's advertising. Personally, I enjoy playing it though I did rewrite the magic system. As another poster mentioned, the basic book magic system leaves a bit to be desired. In any case, Savage Worlds and FATE are the two systems I'm currently going back and forth between. Savage Worlds for action oriented games and FATE for drama / character building.

The base rules are only $10 - it's definitely worth that. :)

Shinizak
2010-12-28, 03:25 AM
It's a good system, but it needs to be tailored a little before you play it. My group simply slapped the mage the ascension rules on it and took off.

Suedars
2010-12-28, 03:34 AM
I like a lot of the aspects of the system, but it falls into the trap of offering character disadvantages that vary wildly in their impact (some having no actual mechanical impact and only vague descriptions), which is a dealbreaker for me.

Talkkno
2010-12-28, 03:44 AM
I like a lot of the aspects of the system, but it falls into the trap of offering character disadvantages that vary wildly in their impact (some having no actual mechanical impact and only vague descriptions), which is a dealbreaker for me.

The way I handle those is to take away a benny whenever they break whatever behavior that is prosciped by the disadvantage.