PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Weapon Style Monks

pilvento
2010-12-27, 03:39 PM
A long time ago i saw in a DnD book some Monk feats or variant, no really shure, that allows u to use ur monk features with diferent some martial weapons.

Know about this or im just crazy for the 38celsious here in Argentina ?

true_shinken
2010-12-27, 03:46 PM
A long time ago i saw in a DnD book some Monk feats or variant, no really shure, that allows u to use ur monk features with diferent some martial weapons.

Maybe you're talking about the Eberron feats that allow to flurry with different weapons? There are lots of'em.

Also, I'm surprised it's so hot on Argentine. Today it's quite pleasant here in Brazil. :smallbiggrin:

pilvento
2010-12-27, 03:57 PM
Maybe you're talking about the Eberron feats that allow to flurry with different weapons? There are lots of'em.

Also, I'm surprised it's so hot on Argentine. Today it's quite pleasant here in Brazil. :smallbiggrin:

thanks, and yes, i cant stand the heat :smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2010-12-27, 04:49 PM
I'd cheerfully swap you for the 38 Farenheit up here on the other half of the planet.:smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2010-12-27, 06:38 PM
The Eberron Campaign Setting has feats for flurrying with the longsword and the two-bladed sword.

The Eberron book Secrets of Sarlona also has a bunch of additional weapon style feats for the Monk.

I think it was Oriental Adventures that had alternate builds for the Monk, but I can't remember what they were exactly.

Psyren
2010-12-27, 10:57 PM
Why choose a martial weapon? Shou Disciple from Unapproachable East can flurry with all of them :smallsmile:

grarrrg
2010-12-28, 12:15 AM
I'd cheerfully swap you for the 38 Farenheit up here on the other half of the planet.:smallbiggrin:

38?? Try 3.8

Buncha whining sissies.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-28, 12:45 AM
38?? Try 3.8

Buncha whining sissies.

Try -3.8. In Texas, which is far more noted for being 38C than being sub-freezing.

I suppose it's inevitable that someone should mention swordsages, which are pretty much everything monks wanted to be, and can use weapons freely.

Greenish
2010-12-28, 12:46 AM
38?? Try 3.8Try -13°F. :smallamused:

And I'm spending the holidays down south, not looking forwards to going back to north.

[Edit]: Also, I think one of the Dragon Mags had a bunch of monk variants with different weapons. I forgot which though, only noticed it in Crystal Keep, back when they had base classes.

pilvento
2010-12-28, 03:05 PM
the general idea was a spear triper monk, just for flavour

Forged Fury
2010-12-28, 03:09 PM
ECS also has a monk-style for longspear, IIRC. Not sure if that helps your build though, since I don't think you can trip with a longspear.

Blackfang108
2010-12-28, 03:11 PM

Agreed.

I'd rather boil than freeze any day of the week.

Then again, I have a feeling I'd have a hard time getting the Bears on TV if I was down there.

pilvento
2010-12-28, 03:14 PM
Agreed.

I'd rather boil than freeze any day of the week.

Then again, I have a feeling I'd have a hard time getting the Bears on TV if I was down there.

i totally prefer to freeze, u can always have more clothes on, but u cant take ur skin off

Blackfang108
2010-12-28, 03:19 PM
i totally prefer to freeze, u can always have more clothes on, but u cant take ur skin off

I've never been too hot that I wasn't comfortable, even when I went to Arizona in August.

I miss that trip.

Bang!
2010-12-28, 03:45 PM
Do you really need to find an obscure book citation to say, "Hey [DM], can I blow a feat to tweak the weapon list of one of the weakest classes in the game?"

AtwasAwamps
2010-12-28, 03:47 PM
ECS also has a monk-style for longspear, IIRC. Not sure if that helps your build though, since I don't think you can trip with a longspear.

I believe Secrets of Sarlona had Pole Master, which allowed you to treat any specific polearm as a monk weapon. Which would be what you're looking for. The prereqs are obnoxious, however...

EDIT: I stand corrected. Dragon 331, Pole Fighter. Prereqs: Weapon proficiency with polearm, weapon focus (specific polearm), flurry of blows. You can treat the weapon as a monk weapon. I think...THINK...it was reprinted in secrets of sarlona. But using that with a guisarme should get you the tripper monk you want. FLURRY TRIPS WOOT WOOT

The Big Dice
2010-12-28, 03:55 PM
That's why I tweaked the Monk proficiency list to include the kinds of weapons you'd see being used at the Chinese Opera when the wushu guys take the stage.

Forged Fury
2010-12-28, 04:11 PM
EDIT: I think...THINK...it was reprinted in secrets of sarlona. But using that with a guisarme should get you the tripper monk you want. FLURRY TRIPS WOOT WOOT
You're correct. Need BAB +1, proficiency & Weapon Focus with a specific hafted reach weapon, and flurry of blows.

AslanCross
2010-12-28, 08:06 PM
Do you really need to find an obscure book citation to say, "Hey [DM], can I blow a feat to tweak the weapon list of one of the weakest classes in the game?"

Some DMs prefer not to houserule things, and the Eberron Campaign Setting isn't really obscure.

Loki Eremes
2010-12-29, 02:33 PM

Eldar maraca

Greenish
2010-12-29, 03:03 PM
Eldar maracaMade from Wraithbone? :smallwink:

pilvento
2010-12-29, 03:19 PM
Made from Wraithbone? :smallwink:

Eldar quote: "my socks are older than ur entire race"

Edit: time to close this post i think