PDA

View Full Version : Best Exotic Slashing Weapon?

mootoall
2010-12-27, 04:32 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. Has to be slashing for vorpal, but other than that, high crits, damage, reach, anything that makes a good exotic weapon is something I'm interested in seeing!

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-27, 04:36 PM
Fullblade. Fleshgrinding, if possible. And Flaming. Always Flaming. I'm not sure if it's any good, but a flaming chainsaw is always cool.
EDIT: Ah yes, that's a good one. A Kaorti Resin Fleshgrinding Flaming Fullblade would be cool, i'm sure.

Darrin
2010-12-27, 04:38 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin. Has to be slashing for vorpal, but other than that, high crits, damage, reach, anything that makes a good exotic weapon is something I'm interested in seeing!

Kaorti resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Jovar (Planar Handbook): 2d6 damage, 18-20/x4 crit

or

Kaorti resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Elven Courtblade (RotW): 1d10 damage, 18-20/x4 crit, two-handed + finessable

mootoall
2010-12-27, 04:50 PM
Hmm, exactly how much would a Kaorti Resin Courtblade cost?

Gensh
2010-12-27, 04:51 PM
Fullblade. Fleshgrinding, if possible. And Flaming. Always Flaming. I'm not sure if it's any good, but a flaming chainsaw is always cool.
EDIT: Ah yes, that's a good one. A Kaorti Resin Fleshgrinding Flaming Fullblade would be cool, i'm sure.

Kaorti resin is almost redundant on something vorpal with just 19-20 range. One of the Forgotten Realms books had "heavy" weapons. Your choice: golden flaming chainsaw or platinum flaming chainsaw?

mootoall
2010-12-27, 04:53 PM
Kaorti resin is almost redundant on something vorpal with just 19-20 range. One of the Forgotten Realms books had "heavy" weapons. Your choice: golden flaming chainsaw or platinum flaming chainsaw?

Oh, right, with Vorpal I'll be killing anything vulnerable to crits anyway ... no need to increase the crit multiplier then! Where can I find the fullblade?

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 05:57 PM
Unless you're houseruling it(or playing just 3.0, possibly), vorpal's only in effect on a natural 20, not all crits.

mootoall
2010-12-27, 05:59 PM
Unless you're houseruling it(or playing just 3.0, possibly), vorpal's only in effect on a natural 20, not all crits.

Ah, you make a good point. So increasing crit range/multiplier is still a good thing :smallbiggrin:

Any news on where I can find the fullblade? Or fleshgrinding? Or heavy? 'Cause that sounds like a nice combination.

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 06:01 PM
Ah, you make a good point. So increasing crit range/multiplier is still a good thing :smallbiggrin:

Any news on where I can find the fullblade? Or fleshgrinding? Or heavy? 'Cause that sounds like a nice combination.

Fullblade was initially published in the Arms and Equipment Guide, so it's unupdated 3.0 material, IIRC. Heavy weapons are from Magic of Faerun, which is also 3.0 material and requires some DM adjudication in certain cases how it will work in 3.5.

...Fleshgrinding... I can't recall, maybe Book of Vile Darkness? Edit: yeah, it's BoVD.

And a Kaorti Resin weapon with a 19-20 or 18-20 crit range that is then made Keen through the property or spell effect is quite fun. Since just about every hit that'll get through will be a Crit on level appropriate foes. Combine that with Valorous weapon property, a mount, and the item chain that gives spirited charge and that's even more multiplicative fun. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, with is even better (from a number of multipliers in play standpoint) with a kaorti resin lance and all of that, but then vorpal can't be used.

mootoall
2010-12-27, 06:05 PM
Fullblade was initially published in the Arms and Equipment Guide, so it's unupdated 3.0 material, IIRC. Heavy weapons are from Magic of Faerun, which is also 3.0 material and requires some DM adjudication in certain cases how it will work in 3.5.

...Fleshgrinding... I can't recall, maybe Book of Vile Darkness? Edit: yeah, it's BoVD.

And a Kaorti Resin weapon with a 19-20 or 18-20 crit range that is then made Keen through the property or spell effect is quite fun. Since just about every hit that'll get through will be a Crit on level appropriate foes. Combine that with Valorous weapon property, a mount, and the item chain that gives spirited charge and that's even more multiplicative fun. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, with is even better (from a number of multipliers in play standpoint) with a kaorti resin lance and all of that, but then vorpal can't be used.

Hmm, alright. Then we get back to the question of exactly how much a ribbon weapon costs? Can't quite figure it out from the text. I'd probably slap it on a Courtblade, if that affects it.

AslanCross
2010-12-27, 06:35 PM
Fleshgrinding was updated and reprinted in Magic Item Compendium.

Saint GoH
2010-12-27, 06:45 PM
Courtblade was found in Races of the Wild.

Price for Kaorti is a little hard to quantify. A kaorti ribbon dagger costs 50gp, while a regular dagger costs 2gp. I would just follow the same basic math principles 50/2=25 So I would say if you are making a Courtblade kaorti (original price 150gp) the price would be 150*25=3750gp?

Thats a feckin expensive sword... Maybe my idea wasn't such a good one?

true_shinken
2010-12-27, 06:48 PM
Spinning Sword (secrets of sarlona) is the best! exotic slashing weapon around, no one's gonna ever keep you down.

mootoall
2010-12-27, 06:48 PM
Courtblade was found in Races of the Wild.

Price for Kaorti is a little hard to quantify. A kaorti ribbon dagger costs 50gp, while a regular dagger costs 2gp. I would just follow the same basic math principles 50/2=25 So I would say if you are making a Courtblade kaorti (original price 150gp) the price would be 150*25=3750gp?

Thats a feckin expensive sword... Maybe my idea wasn't such a good one?

Hmm, not a bad deal for, say, an Epic character though ...

Saint GoH
2010-12-27, 06:51 PM
Hmm, not a bad deal for, say, an Epic character though ...

Shewt son... if yer playing epic hang it all and do that.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-27, 06:56 PM
Spinning Sword (secrets of sarlona) is the best! exotic slashing weapon around, no one's gonna ever keep you down.

I prefer Kusari-gama myself, though only for the visual image. ( I don't recall the damage die of Spinning sword

AslanCross
2010-12-27, 07:06 PM
I think the primary reason getting Kaorti Resin weapons is a bad idea is that you have to fight a bunch of insane, omnicidal cosmic horrors to get it, or worse, ask them to make it for you.

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-27, 07:09 PM
Ah yes, that is a problem. Try asking the local Kaorti Artificer for a weapon when he looks like this.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50125.jpg

mootoall
2010-12-27, 07:15 PM
Ah yes, that is a problem. Try asking the local Kaorti Artificer for a weapon when he looks like this.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50125.jpg

Aw, that's adorable! It can haz blood?

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-27, 07:22 PM
.............what. No, it can't haz blood. Infact, the further away it is from my blood, the less likely i'm tempted to activate my Contingent Apocalypse From The Sky.

mootoall
2010-12-27, 07:25 PM
.............what. No, it can't haz blood. Infact, the further away it is from my blood, the less likely i'm tempted to activate my Contingent Apocalypse From The Sky.

Heh, well it doesn't want your blood. No, it only wants deific blood. You're only in trouble if it gets bored/you're in the way.

Ashram
2010-12-27, 07:26 PM
If you're gonna go Vorpal, might I suggest an item that can cast Surge of Fortune (Complete Champion) on you? It's a 5th level cleric spell, sure, but the ability to auto-crit anything you can make a confirmation roll is well worth the cost.

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 07:28 PM
Well, there are rogue kaorti, and aside from the materials to make the resin permanent, the material is essentially free as they produce it as a condition of existing. And if they have a resin suit they can exist outside of a kaorti cyst.

So, in certain places (Hello Sigil!) it's certainly plausible to encounter non-antagonistic kaorti or ribbon weapons for sale.

I'd guestimate it's more along the lines of 50 gp per pound of weapon material since the example ribbon dagger is 50 gp and 1 pound, especially since material costs are usually based upon poundage(which is roughly approximating the amount of material necessary) rather than the base value of the item.

But considering there's nothing really laid out, it's up to the DM to adjudicate the matter.

Heh, well it doesn't want your blood. No, it only wants deific blood. You're only in trouble if it gets bored/you're in the way.

I think you're confusing ethergaunts and kaorti, there.

Kaorti, unless they're rogue, want to give you a nice, long kiss if you're humanoid. :smallamused:

Urpriest
2010-12-27, 07:36 PM
Hmm...I hadn't remembered that there were rogue kaorti. Seems a little odd for a race that can't exist outside its protective bubbles, really. Are rogue kaorti mentioned in the Fiend Folio, or is the concept suggested in later books?

Keld Denar
2010-12-27, 07:39 PM
Drow scorpion chain is another choice weapon. 1d6, but 19-20 critic and spiked chain reach.

TheGeckoKing
2010-12-27, 07:39 PM
The Fiend Folio mentions that the mental changes sometimes don't take effect, and they end up with a normal mind in a kaorti body, but it's not mentioned much. I imagine they either stay in their Resin Suits forever, or make their own cyst (I forget how).

Anyway, I've got a new Yo Momma joke now!
"Yo momma so ugly, yo daddy won't kiss her 'cause he thinks he might turn into a kaorti!"

I'll go away now. :thog:

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 08:24 PM
Hmm...I hadn't remembered that there were rogue kaorti. Seems a little odd for a race that can't exist outside its protective bubbles, really. Are rogue kaorti mentioned in the Fiend Folio, or is the concept suggested in later books?

They are mentioned in the Fiend Folio, towards the end of the entry on Kaorti, I think, and I believe the random encounter article on the kaorti ubercyst (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030916x)on the WOTC site. Here's the part specifically on resin items. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) (rather annoying of them to write on it later and still not give any indication as to price)

Kaorti Resin lasts for some time period of 50+ days(or 500... I remember a 5 and a 0... <_< >_>) without alchemical/magical treatment to make it permanent, and a single kaorti produces resin constantly, and can, with an hour's work, make a 40 foot square room with a ceiling ten feet above the ground be covered in resin such that it can survive in there. Or something like that, it might be a room with walls 40 feet to a side.