PDA

View Full Version : 403 Forbidden.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-12-27, 06:57 PM
Whenever I try and post or preview a post in the Homebrew forum, I get this message with a title of 403 Forbidden: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at www.giantitp.com Port 80

I get a similar message with PM's, just a different place that I don't have permission to access, I can post still in the Roleplaying Games section. Is anyone else having this problem?

Rae Artemi
2010-12-27, 07:04 PM
Are you using the word "Lynx" in your post?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-12-27, 07:10 PM
Are you using the word "Lynx" in your post?

Uh, no... :smallconfused: Is the "site" playing a joke to that effect? Why would that matter, we're using it here?

Renegade Paladin
2010-12-27, 07:20 PM
Uh, no... :smallconfused: Is the "site" playing a joke to that effect?
No, it's no joke. Lynx is a file transfer protocol that apparently can exploit some form of server-side vulnerability that doesn't actually apply to the server host used by the site, but the host institutes a server-side ban on the word anyway. There's nothing the administration of the board can do about it, and in turn it's the biggest cause of 403 errors on the site.

As for why we're using it here, the filter doesn't pick it up if it doesn't have a space after it. He put it in quotes and I put empty formatting tags behind it.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-27, 07:38 PM
Yeah, there are a whole bunch of different words or letter combinations that set off the filter, but Lynx Is the Most Common.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-12-27, 07:47 PM
Hmm, then let's try what I was trying to post here then:

Darn, it looks like a word somewhere in there is throwing it off then...

Rae Artemi
2010-12-27, 07:56 PM
What I would do if I were you would be to copy and paste the thing into a word document, Or just anywhere really, and copy it over one paragraph at a time, previewing the post at each new paragraph, and try to narrow down what's causing the problem. It's the easiest thing I could think of, at least.

grimbold
2010-12-28, 03:53 AM
also there may be a site showing you some words that set off the filter, you could check those out

Zherog
2010-12-28, 11:45 AM
Rawhide has said double spaces can also sometimes cause troubles. So if you have any of those, you can cut them down to a single space.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-28, 03:23 PM
Rawhide has said double spaces can also sometimes cause troubles. So if you have any of those, you can cut them down to a single space.

Rather than "can", that should probably be "should".