PDA

View Full Version : 4E Monk Encounter Power

Ignatius
2010-12-27, 07:34 PM
We are just about to start a game and have a quick question about Monks.

On the encounter power card there is a standard action and a move action listed with different abilities.

Is this an either/or thing where the monk can do either the standard action, or the move action once per encounter, or once they have done the standard action, the move action occurs.

Any help would be appreciated...

Blackfang108
2010-12-27, 07:42 PM
You can do both in the same round, or only one of them.

You cannot mix and match powers Standard and Move actions.

Example (Making up power names. might be real ones): If you do the Drunken Monkey Standard, you cannot use the Dragon's Tail Move, but you could use a non full discipline power move action, or a basic one.

Look up the Full Discipline Keyword in the PHB 3 for a more through explanation, but this is the gist.

Edit: also, if you use Either the Standard OR the Move, the power is considered expended after that turn ends.

Edit2: I ALWAYS forget the Action Point Caveat. *facepalm*

Gralamin
2010-12-27, 07:43 PM
You can do both in the same round, or only one of them.

You cannot mix and match powers Standard and Move actions.

If you do the Drunken Monkey Standard, you cannot use the Dragon's Tail move.

Look up the Full Discipline Keyword in the PHB 3 for a more through explanation, but this is the gist.

Clarifying: You can switch to a different Full Discipline in the same round if you use an Action point. Otherwise you cannot. So you can use the Drunken Monkey Standard, AP use the Dragon's Tail Standard, and then the Dragon's Tail move, if you wished.

true_shinken
2010-12-27, 07:44 PM
So if you use the encounter's power attack, can you use the encounter power's moe later? That always came up with the monk in my group (and god, did he suck :smallsigh:)

Blackfang108
2010-12-27, 07:46 PM
So if you use the encounter's power attack, can you use the encounter power's moe later? That always came up with the monk in my group (and god, did he suck :smallsigh:)

In that turn, see my first Edit.

But yeah:

Standard: Drunken Monkey Attack
Minor: Utility Power
AP Action Point: (Anything under the sun)
Move: Drunken Monkey Move.
Free: Flurry of Blows
Is a valid turn.

But you can't "save" half of the encounter power for future turns.

Edit: clarity

Monk's a hard class to pull off, and it really shines as a multi-target striker, as opposed to a single target one. (That said, I really like the Multiclass feat for my WIS or STR based melee chars. I could see it being a nice little bonus to a WIS-DEX Avenger, for example)

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-27, 10:33 PM
Just wanted to add that you can do the Standard or the Move in either order. You don't have to do the Standard first (in fact, according to the fluff text, a lot of them seem to be intended for the Move to be first).

Meta
2010-12-28, 12:59 AM
In that turn, see my first Edit.

But yeah:

Standard: Drunken Monkey Attack
Minor: Utility Power
AP Action Point: (Anything under the sun)
Move: Drunken Monkey Move.
Free: Flurry of Blows
Is a valid turn.

But you can't "save" half of the encounter power for future turns.

Edit: clarity

Monk's a hard class to pull off, and it really shines as a multi-target striker, as opposed to a single target one. (That said, I really like the Multiclass feat for my WIS or STR based melee chars. I could see it being a nice little bonus to a WIS-DEX Avenger, for example)

Zuoken's Centering pretty much makes it the top choice. Battle Awareness is solid as well though