PDA

View Full Version : Can you wear two anklets of translocation(MIC)?

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-27, 08:34 PM
And have them both work... :smallannoyed:

true_shinken
2010-12-27, 08:35 PM
No you can't.

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-27, 08:36 PM
And why not?

Jack_Simth
2010-12-27, 08:38 PM
And why not?
Slot restrictions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody). There's only the one boots slot. Same as you can't wear eight different rings and have them all work - there's only the two ring slots. It's that way for game balance reasons, mostly.

You can, however, keep one set on, and the other set in your pocket, then swap them out when the first runs out of uses for the day.

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-27, 08:43 PM
I understand that, in this case though, it is a single anklet; the item is called an "anklet of translocation", so a pair of them would actually be two separate magic items, one around each ankle.

The SRD says one "pair" of boots or shoes on the feet, after all.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-27, 08:45 PM
I understand that, in this case though, it is a single anklet; the item is called an "anklet of translocation", so a pair of them would actually be two separate magic items, one around each ankle.

Bizzarely, the rules don't work like that though. One anklet/boot/bracer/whatever takes up the whole slot...you can't wear two Gloves of Storing by RAW and be able to draw from them both, for example, even though a Glove of Storing is also a single item.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-27, 08:54 PM

The Anklet of Translocation comes from the Magic Item Compendium - is it reasonable to assume that what the Magic Item Compendium says about such things applies? See page 218:

Some body slots are described as a matched pair of body parts (such as arms, feet, or hands). If an item uses one of these body slots, it takes up both "halves" even if worn on only one of the pair

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-27, 09:28 PM
Hmm, isn't there a rule about adding different properties to magic items; something like you just add the cost of the second property plus 50% to the cost of the first item?

If that's right, then you could just give an anklet of translocation the same property again, and call it a proper 'pair' of anklets (that would allow you to teleport 4/day, for just 3,500 gp, right?

The Glyphstone
2010-12-27, 09:36 PM
Yeah, that'd work. It's a workaround, but technically legal, because uses of an item per day aren't a bonus, and so would stack.

Siosilvar
2010-12-27, 09:37 PM
Hmm, isn't there a rule about adding different properties to magic items; something like you just add the cost of the second property plus 50% to the cost of the first item?

If that's right, then you could just give an anklet of translocation the same property again, and call it a proper 'pair' of anklets (that would allow you to teleport 4/day, for just 3,500 gp, right?

[bolded for emphasis] What was that you said, again?

The Glyphstone
2010-12-27, 09:42 PM
[bolded for emphasis] What was that you said, again?

Strictly, the actual wording from the MIC is 'additional abilities'. Likewise, the DMG says 'any additional ability'.

Jack_Simth
2010-12-27, 09:43 PM

Unless you have specific reason for wanting it to be a Swift action, you might look up the Boots of Big Stepping.

Siosilvar
2010-12-27, 09:46 PM
Strictly, the actual wording from the MIC is 'additional abilities'.

And the DMG/SRD wording is 'new abilities'. I would say that the same thing again is neither new, different, and not an additional ability but more of the same.

Of course, there's no attunement time, so just buy two and call it good. It's probably even balanced to do it without the 50% cost upgrade to stack: you don't have to switch them out, but you don't have a backup.

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-27, 10:21 PM
Of course, there's no attunement time, so just buy two and call it good. It's probably even balanced to do it without the 50% cost upgrade to stack: you don't have to switch them out, but you don't have a backup.

Brilliant! I'm disappointed that I didn't just think of that. Basically just wear them both, and after using both charges on one, switch to 'wearing' the other one, right?

Koury
2010-12-27, 10:41 PM
I'm almost postive (though I couldn't quote a source) that switching between items like that (say, choosing which two rings are active of your 7 on your fingers) is some sort of action. I think its a standard action.

I think.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-27, 10:49 PM
I'm almost postive (though I couldn't quote a source) that switching between items like that (say, choosing which two rings are active of your 7 on your fingers) is some sort of action.
The action is whatever is involved in making sure the item you want to use is one of the allowed items in that slot. For rings, it's the first two. For other slots it's just the first item. So if you had two Anklets on, only the first one worn would be available. To use the other one you would have to take off the first one. That's usually a move action to manipulate an item.

There aren't any options for "choosing" among many worn items. The choice is made by the order in which you add them, up until you've reached the limit for that slot.

Flickerdart
2010-12-27, 10:50 PM
If you had Regeneration, you could just wear two rings on each hand and tear off the hand that has the ones you don't need. Not like it won't grow back in a few minutes.

awa
2010-12-27, 10:53 PM
that's a terrible idea chopping off a hand takes far more time then just taking a ring off and putting on a new one.

Grendus
2010-12-28, 12:45 AM
Unless you have specific reason for wanting it to be a Swift action, you might look up the Boots of Big Stepping.

For the melee classes that aren't martial adepts and didn't dip barbarian for pounce or warblade for sudden leap?

Jack_Simth
2010-12-28, 08:18 AM
For the melee classes that aren't martial adepts and didn't dip barbarian for pounce or warblade for sudden leap?
That would be a specific reason for wanting it as a Swift action, wouldn't it?

2xMachina
2010-12-28, 08:35 AM
And the DMG/SRD wording is 'new abilities'. I would say that the same thing again is neither new, different, and not an additional ability but more of the same.

Paying 50% extra makes it slotless in any case. So, you could pay 50% more and put it in your pocket, and it would work.

Elric VIII
2010-12-28, 09:09 AM
Paying 50% extra makes it slotless in any case. So, you could pay 50% more and put it in your pocket, and it would work.

I know that the 50% increase for adding extra abilities is in the DMG, but where are the rules for making slotless items?

2xMachina
2010-12-28, 09:20 AM
Hmm, my mistake, it is 2x

Under Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values

No space limitation Multiply entire cost by 2 Ioun stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm)

Amiel
2010-12-28, 09:29 AM
You could take the epic feat: Additional Magic Item Space (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#additionalMagicItemSpace) for both of them to confer their abilities.

Flickerdart
2010-12-28, 02:12 PM
that's a terrible idea chopping off a hand takes far more time then just taking a ring off and putting on a new one.
Except not; one is one action, and the other is two.

Solophoenix
2010-12-28, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't you have to retrieve the rings from the severed hand anyway? Or does Regeneration work for magic items too?

balistafreak
2010-12-28, 02:49 PM
Wouldn't you have to retrieve the rings from the severed hand anyway? Or does Regeneration work for magic items too?

That sounds like a plan... :smallcool:

... but no, I'm pretty sure that magic items don't grow on trees hands. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2010-12-28, 03:46 PM
The idea is that you chop off the hand with the rings you don't want, and then just pick them up after the battle is done.

Person_Man
2010-12-28, 04:13 PM
You could just ask your DM for a hand wave. It's not like it's a earth shattering ability. You could also just find other sources of free movement. There are plenty (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

Scarlet-Devil
2010-12-28, 05:34 PM
You could just ask your DM for a hand wave. It's not like it's a earth shattering ability. You could also just find other sources of free movement. There are plenty (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

True enough, I suppose that's the plan.

ericgrau
2010-12-28, 05:57 PM
Actually doubling the number of uses per day simply costs twice as much, since it isn't a new ability. You couldn't wear 2 anklets but you could ask your DM for a single custom anklet with twice as many uses per day.

You can also ask for a custom slotless at double price or add the ability to another unrelated item for 1.5 times the normal price. If it's added to a related item then you pay normal price. Putting multiple unrelated abilities on the same slotless item does not further increase the price (beyond double) and if the abilities are similar you get a 25% discount on the second ability and a 50% discount (same as normal price before doubling) on each ability after that.

These are all guidelines only and subject to DM approval. But as long as you try something fair he should approve them.

ffone
2010-12-28, 08:36 PM
As a DM I generally allow players to double the uses/day for 2x the cost (same rational as you all; it's multiple similar abilities; it's also worth noting that every magic item crafting formula with a charges or charges/day component is linear in it).

There are probably things I wouldn't allow, though, like a doubled Belt of Battle. Although note that even if you gave it 6 charges, you couldn't use more than 3 per round, since it doesn't give you extra swift actions, and there's no provision for expending >3 charges at once.

2xMachina
2010-12-28, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure the custom item rules tell you how to adjust uses/day.

For Charges per day: Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)

I think you can make it unlimited uses too.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-28, 11:44 PM
Pretty sure the custom item rules tell you how to adjust uses/day.
Actually, and I'd like to stress the importance of this, the custom item rules provide guidelines on how, with your DM's permission, you might make such alterations. There's no guarantee that unlimited use short distance teleportation would ever be allowed to exist, much less a fixed price that a character can count on for such an item.

true_shinken
2010-12-29, 02:17 PM
Actually, and I'd like to stress the importance of this, the custom item rules provide guidelines on how, with your DM's permission, you might make such alterations. There's no guarantee that unlimited use short distance teleportation would ever be allowed to exist, much less a fixed price that a character can count on for such an item.

Thanks for pointing that out, Curmodgeon.

ericgrau
2010-12-29, 03:29 PM
Ya... unlimited machine gun teleport for rapid party travel anywhere in the world? I don't think so. But I think adding on more uses per day would be a fair thing to ask the DM permission for.

Koury
2010-12-29, 03:38 PM
Ya... unlimited machine gun teleport for rapid party travel anywhere in the world? I don't think so. But I think adding on more uses per day would be a fair thing to ask the DM permission for.

Unlimited Anklets aren't exactly "rapid party travel anywhere in the world."

They'd effectively give you +10 speed. If you have 30 ft move, you can double move (60 ft). Now spend your swift and you're at 70 ft in the round. Not a huge difference in overland travel, really.

ericgrau
2010-12-29, 03:42 PM
Ah I was thinking of an item with a longer range, though still short. Still it illustrates that 5/day is not always the same value as unlimited. Even with unlimited anklets of translocation I'd at least charge a higher price than 5/day.