PDA

View Full Version : Wicked names needed for 2 NPC teams

Another_Poet
2010-12-27, 11:04 PM
First off - if you play in my Sewer Guard campaign, please leave now.

The rest of you:

Team 1 - two names needed

Two mages, both human males. Employed by one of several local crime syndicates in a steampunk/fantasy world (Iron Kingdoms). The word has gotten out that the city has hired crack guards (the PCs) to clear out the sewers. Organized crime has long used the sewers for smuggling, so there is a hit on the PCs.

These two mages are brothers. They use Invisibility and hide in sewer tunnels. When they can see the PC's lights, one of them casts a single attack spell, the other re-casts Invisibility on that one, and they flee. They will do this repeatedly (hit and run tactics) over several sessions, hoping to either wear down the PCs or force them to give up and leave.

Short story: I need cool names for two brothers, both mages, who try to assassinate the PCs using hit and run tactics. Gangsta names preferred.

Team 2 - two names needed

These two are dubious "good guys." Former gangsters themselves, a power struggle left them on the out with their old boss. They decide to take revenge and become vigilante gangslayers.

Race unknown; they seem to both be male, but one is very small & quick and the other is very large & strong. They wear masks and dress in all black. They hide in alleys, sewers and even bedrooms to get their quarry alone and assassinate them. They have only targeted known criminals.... so far.

Short story: I need cool names for two masked vigilantes who assassinate gangsters. Superhero names (with a common theme) preferred.

Godskook
2010-12-27, 11:44 PM
Jonathan Hooker and Henry Gondorff for either team. Bonus points if you figure out the reference.

Sky Masterson and Nathan Detroit for the first team.

Dimitrious
2010-12-27, 11:53 PM
I second Nathan Detroit and Sky Masterson for the second team.
Godskook, you are amazing.

Cuaqchi
2010-12-27, 11:59 PM
+1 for Detroit and Masterson; although I would use the proper French pronounciation. (Sounds a bit like this Day-Twa)

Kallisti
2010-12-28, 12:02 AM
Sky Masterson and Nathan Detroit for the first team.

Good old reliable Nathan. I vote for this as well.

Theodoriph
2010-12-28, 12:03 AM
Gangsta and steampunk don't seem to work together well! At least from what I can tell using the Victorian and Steampunk Name Generator.

I would call the mages Orville Redenblaster and Crunch n Punch because my dad offered me popcorn just now. What's that you say...that's not a good basis for naming something? Nonsense.

Another_Poet
2010-12-28, 12:30 AM
+1 for Detroit and Masterson;

I don't really get the reference, and the names don't sound scary/cool, so as much as I appreciate the enthusiasm I gotta veto these.

Gangsta and steampunk don't seem to work together well! At least from what I can tell using the Victorian and Steampunk Name Generator.

Think more Gangs of New York and less P-Diddy. "The Butcher" "The Godfather" etc. Old fashioned gangster names.

Redenblaster and Crunch n Punch

That's actually pretty good.

Theodoriph
2010-12-28, 12:57 AM
Ah...well then...a possible last name that fit both genres could be MacArthur (known as "Mac"). Nelson is another last name that could fit the genre...just give him a cool nickname (e.g. like the gangster "Babyface" Nelson). Theodore ("Teddy") and Vincent ("Vinny") are first names that fit both moulds (See also: Alfred ("Big Al"), Paul ("Paulie") or Michael ("Mickey")).

As aforementioned, if you give them a completely normal Victorian name that can't be shortened to something like Mickey or Paulie etc., just give them a gangster nickname like "Babyface", "Pretty Boy", "Lefty", "Lucky" etc.

Godskook
2010-12-28, 02:51 AM
I don't really get the reference, and the names don't sound scary/cool, so as much as I appreciate the enthusiasm I gotta veto these.

Hooker and Gondorff are con artists from the movie "The Sting". Its a masterful movie about crime life. To borrow a hacker term, both are kinda "grey hats", neither law abiding nor hardened criminals. I highly suggest you go watch it. I'll wait.

You're back? Good. Masterson and Detroit are similarly mobsters from the broadway play Guys and Dolls, which was made into a movie at least once. These guys are more along the hardened criminal route, and it takes love, gambling, and jail time to set them straight.

Another_Poet
2010-12-28, 03:19 AM
Hooker and Gondorff are con artists from the movie "The Sting".

Masterson and Detroit are similarly mobsters from the broadway play Guys and Dolls,

Hmm, makes more sense now. One of my players might get that. I might use one of those two pairs for the gangsters.

Not sure about the vigilantes yet though.

Kol Korran
2010-12-28, 10:36 AM
i'm not that good iwth names, but i'll throw my hat in the ring:

Mobster brothers: (some of these names might work for a team, some for individuals) in any case, maybe it's worth it making invisiblity rings for them that work just for them? (or almost just them?) a sort of "specialized" tool of the trade?
- Smoke & Mirrors? both specialize in illusions, one in thing you can see, the other in things you can't? they could be identical twnis, with only one appearing at all times. (hey, maybe most gangsters think they are just one person, and when the party investigate about them they get theree is this one person who can be at several places/ do multiple things as the same time... might confuse them a bit)
- "Mr Slit" and "Mr. Still/Steel": one has a tendency to play with a very small knife, but slit paralyzed/ "held person" enemies throats with it (coup de grace), the other is know for perhaps casting stilled spells (maybe after immersing an area in web) or loves to collect metal objects from his victims, making him tingle a bit unless he stands perfectly still (the tingle could be his calling card that it's already too late?"
- "The Last sight" duo- these assassin only deal with their customers unseen, telling them that once you see them, they have to kill you (maybe it's just paranoia, or professionalism, or maybe there is something in their looks they dislike)

Heroic assasins, hmmmm...:
- the last chance: (they offer repentance before slaying their foes)
- Destiny's cleaners
- the shadowed light
- the correctors (huh?)
- the light might/ mighty light

i hope these help.