PDA

View Full Version : Advantages to the Soulbow?

wayfare
2010-12-28, 01:56 AM
Are there any real advantages to the soulbow PrC?

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-12-28, 02:02 AM
In terms of what? Are we comparing it to the base soulknife? Other soulknife PrCs? Other PrCs in general?

As far as a PrC for the soulknife goes, it's a solid one. It allows you to turn a soulknife into a useful ranged combatant, and is much more versatile than the base soulknife. Of course, we're talking about the soulknife here, so that's not saying much.

sonofzeal
2010-12-28, 02:20 AM
Er.... it's a vast improvement over the Soulknife in just about every way, and it's one of the best archery PrCs out there (mostly due to lack of competition). So... yes?

Saint GoH
2010-12-28, 02:25 AM
I think (read that as I haven't actually read soulbow description in over a year so its hard to say) they get Wisdom to damage with their bow, correct? Seems to me you could make a WIS SAD character while throwing in a Shiba Protector level from Oriental Adventures to get Wis to damage twice. If a soulbow counts for Intuitive attack you may even get that so as to only need Wis for attack and damage.

DISCLAIMER: It's been awhile since I read soulbow description so I'm not sure if it qualifies for Intuitive attack, and Im basically running off what I remember of the class.

wayfare
2010-12-28, 02:26 AM
I was just expecting it to...do more, i guess.

sonofzeal
2010-12-28, 02:38 AM
I was just expecting it to...do more, i guess.
It's an archer PrC. It puts big gaping holes in things, and does so very well. What else where you expecting?

Godskook
2010-12-28, 02:38 AM
Zen Archery gets Wis to attack for sure as a soulbow, and they get wis to damage in-class.

Kinda sad that the text never specifies if you can shoot mind arrows from a regular bow.

sonofzeal
2010-12-28, 02:43 AM
Kinda sad that the text never specifies if you can shoot mind arrows from a regular bow.
Er, I would very much assume you can't. They're not even exactly physical objects (text says "semisolid"). What I'm more curious about is whether they're affected by Wind Wall, how they interact with Incorporeal, and how visually obvious it is to observers if you're trying to hide.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-12-28, 09:22 AM
Er, I would very much assume you can't. They're not even exactly physical objects (text says "semisolid"). What I'm more curious about is whether they're affected by Wind Wall, how they interact with Incorporeal, and how visually obvious it is to observers if you're trying to hide.

My guess would be that they're blocked by Wind Wall like regular arrows, have a miss chance with incorporeals unless they are Ghost Touch, and are less visually obvious than a crossbow but more visually obvious than not shooting somebody. After all, you're firing a bolt of energy out of your hand, I can only assume it will be a tad obvious.

2xMachina
2010-12-28, 09:36 AM

You could, however, TWF it for more arrow spam.

Yuki Akuma
2010-12-28, 10:33 AM

They are in all ways identical to arrows, except visually.

So they affect incorporeal foes just the same way as magical arrows do, they get tossed aside by wind wall, and so on.

They are arrows. They're not force missiles.

classy one
2010-12-28, 11:04 AM
Er.... it's a vast improvement over the Soulknife in just about every way, and it's one of the best archery PrCs out there (mostly due to lack of competition). So... yes?

Soulbow also provides bonus feats which are very welcomed and lucky traits on all your projectiles which is kind of hax.

As for competition I can think of two:
There is also the Illumine soul which advances your mind blade and makes you an undead killer. Giving immunity to negative energy at will (expend focus), permanent undead bane (that doesn't count against your usual enhancement bonus). If you plan on fighting undead, this is somewhat decent.

Atavist is a PrC found in races of Eberron is a Kalashtar only PrC who specializes in killing Inspired and Quori. It's pretty underwhelming except for it's capstone which allows you to expend your focus to gain a standard or move action.

Other decent options for soulknife is the Kalashtar sub levels 1 and 3 which let's you treat your attacks as both a dispel and dismissal, and add holy to the list of special abilities you can add. These are certainly very decent and all you giving up is wild talent (which you don't need since Kalashtar have lots of PP) and one psychic strike (which is useless).