PDA

View Full Version : Epic Level NPCs

VarianArdell
2010-12-28, 02:49 AM
I am running an epic level campaign, and need a few ideas for NPC's and DMPCs. The PCs in the campaign are 21st level gestalt, so the NPCs would need to be around the same power level (with some more and less powerful as necessary). Any ideas? This campaign will ideally end at level 40, with the ascension of the PCs.

EDIT: Important to note, Racial LA are reduced by 1, and all RHD (and the benefits they bestow [like BAB, Saves, and skill points]) are removed unless using a monster class.

Godskook
2010-12-28, 03:04 AM
1.NPCs use PC classes now. The NPC classes were odd at low levels, but now, now they're just useless. Unless you go by CR = ECL/2 for them, and in which case, they're starting to get broken good(Expert has 46 ranks in 10 skills of his choice, compared to the PCs' 23, warrior has now officially outpaced fighter, and adept has been casting epic level spells since CR 18). Plus, variety makes the game more fun.

2.I hope you banned epic spellcasting.

3.At that level, its not about picking a base class anymore. Its about picking a prestige class to build around. Instead of monk or swordsage, thing setting sun ninja, enlightened fist, sacred fist, or tashalatoran monk(or still swordsage).

4.A lot of it depends on your group at this level. Optimization can swing players an *INCREDIBLE* amount at level 21, from being a glorified level 1 fighter to being a god slaying monstrosity.

Runestar
2010-12-28, 03:24 AM
I would suggest you peg cr at ~2/3 class lvs. So a fighter30 would be cr20? Or not. Still seems too weak compared to a dragon or tarrasque. But it is a start. :smallannoyed:

Mind you, this is against normal PCs. So against gestalt, they may need to be even stronger.