PDA

View Full Version : Infinite realms measured in time?

Amiel
2010-12-28, 07:09 AM
The multiverse is littered with infinitely vast realms; the origins of matter (the building blocks of creation) and belief (from whence all alignments arise), the demesne of limitless potentiality (the Ethereal) and the field of dreams (the Astral).

What if distances within these infinite realities were measured not in distance, but in time?
So, it may take 99 years to traverse across the entirety of a single Perdition.

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-28, 08:30 AM
An interesting idea. It runs into problems with some planes (like the Astral) being timeless, though.

Amiel
2010-12-28, 10:05 AM
Thanks!

It's certainly a challenge; the traveller won't get old, but travelling a certain distance may still require the expenditure of a temporal cost. It may be like travelling within the fey realm, the years would catch up to the traveller once they leave the bounds of the reality.

akma
2010-12-28, 10:22 AM
Yeah, 99 years, but at what speed?
For diffrent creatures it would be a diffrent amount of time, since diffrent creatures have diffrent speeds.

Amiel
2010-12-28, 10:31 AM
I want to say at the speed of light; this'll ensure that distances are insurmountably impressive and expressive.
The question is whether the inhabitants of fantastical realms are capable of comprehending velocity at that speed.

This vast distance will be mitigated by belief within the outer planes; travel there will also depend on forming conscious movement through the mind.

Cealocanth
2010-12-28, 10:31 AM
I guess in this case, speed is a constant, such as in a distance/time relationship. In this case, travel is time/distance, making speed always = a constant number no matter the size or speed of a creature. Everything must move at a speed of 1, constantly. Time must be taken in a particular direction to reach the goal.

In other words, nothing can be outran. Nothing can be caught up to. Time must be taken in greater and greater intervals to get where you need.

Urpriest
2010-12-28, 04:05 PM
I think some equivalent to relativistic path length/invariant time would be most appropriate. Since everything moves at the speed of plot anyway, perhaps measure in sessions/pages?