PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Swordsage

Duskranger
2010-12-28, 08:57 AM
I am planning to build for my net character in a campaign an unarmed swordsage, though the wording of the swordsage itself is a bit strange in the ToB.

Can anyone explain to me what you lose and what you get for a bonus if you pick the unarmed swordsage route?

Greenish
2010-12-28, 10:57 AM
As written, you get monk's damage die progression for unarmed strikes, and you lose light armour proficiency.

GoatBoy
2010-12-28, 11:03 AM
Keep in mind that, RAW, you can take Light Armour Proficiency, either by class or feat, and still maintain the Wis bonus to AC the Swordsage gets at level 2... a DM might interpret that you only keep the Wis to AC when unarmoured, like a Monk. But the rules don't explicitly say this. They also say that, while you get the Monk's unarmed damage progression, you don't receive the feat Improved Unarmed Strike like a Monk does.

So keep in mind that the class variant requires a bit of extra rules interpretation. I would rule that you get Improved Unarmed Strike but lose Wis to AC when wearing any armour.

Stegyre
2010-12-28, 11:48 AM
UASS should certainly get IUS. (Otherwise, it's just stupid: you have a character with a monk's damage progression for unarmed strikes, but he is not treated as armed, he triggers AoOs whenever he tries to use unarmed strikes, and he deals only nonlethal damage unless he takes -4 on attacks.)

Whether you adopt Goatboy's houserule and deny Wis to AC while wearing any armor is up to you, and depends on your perception of the UASS. That rule probably makes sense, if you want the UASS as a "fix" to the monk class. To my knowledge, however, the common practice is to give all 2nd level+ SS (unarmed or not) Wis to AC in light or no armor.

(RAW, SS have Wis to AC only in light armor, but most see this as an oversight, including, I believe, the Sage.)

sonofzeal
2010-12-28, 12:25 PM
RAW has already been stated.

RAI - imo, it's "treat as monk for purposes of AC and unarmed strike, but not flurry or other class features".

Ernir
2010-12-28, 12:28 PM
I'd like to add that the Unarmed Swordsage is in the adaptation section, which, in my opinion, makes it more like an idea you could try to sell to your DM than an actual rules text.

A very good idea, but it isn't finished. You and the DM need to work out the kinks.

Duskranger
2010-12-29, 04:34 AM
In short try to let your DM say what's allowed and what's not.

Well in that case I think a normal swordsage would be better. Still thanks for the answers