PDA

View Full Version : D&D/pathfinder Sword of the Arcane Order Bow Ranger

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-28, 05:56 PM
So I have a need for build help again. In my Pathfinder game, one of our party members died, an archer rogue. Since we have no dedicated ranged attacker, the GM is letting me restat my switch hitter sword of the Arcane Order Ranger. Super nice of him, I must say...

So I am re-building the character as a dedicated archer. Her is what i got so far.
LEVEL 7 Human (should i go Elf instead, for once? I've never played an Elf archer before...)

STR 12
DEX 21 (level 4 boost)
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 10

1 Point Blank shot
1 Finesse
3 Deadly Aim
5 Sword of the Arcane Order
11 Practiced Spellcaster

Ranger 2 Precise Shot
Ranger 6 Rapid Shot
Ranger 10 Manyshot
Ranger 14 Imp. Precise Shot
Ranger 18

EDIT: I also took the shooting star substitution level 4. (champions of valor) trades out my animal companion for extra spells per day.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Fenryr
2010-12-28, 07:10 PM
Academic Priest? Feat from Legends of the Twins, a Dragonlance book. It allows Int to be your primary modifier for casting (additional spells and maximum level spell) but the DC remains the same. Can only be taken at level 1. So you don't have to pump both Wis and Int.

Dragon Magazine allowed? Use Dragon 336 and Mystic Ranger.

Iron Will? Combat Casting or Skill Focus?

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-28, 07:25 PM
Nope, no dragon mag, sorry.

Also, i can only use one campaign specific source (i.e. greyhawk OR Dragonlance, and Im already using Forgotten realms, champion of Valor stuff. Its been reflavored, but its the GM rules, and I guess it works.)

gorfnab
2010-12-28, 08:06 PM
Nemesis (BoED) might be a feat worth taking depending on your favored enemies (especially nice with Arcane Hunter ACF from CM). If you do go Elf you could take the feat Stabbing Shot from Pathfinder: Advanced Players Guide. Greater Manyshot (XPH) can also be nice. The handbooks below may be of some use to you as well.

3.5 Ranger Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4621)
Guide to Rangers - Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-28, 08:34 PM
Ah yes, I did in fact take Arcane Hunter ACF. I love killing spellcasters, taking their spell book, and using it with my awesome Sword of The Arcane Order-ness. I have quite a spell selection, as a result.

Coidzor
2010-12-28, 08:52 PM
And you're remembering to master their spellbooks using Complete Arcane rules, right?

You might want to drop the Finesse(I'm assuming Weapon) if you're bowing it up.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-28, 08:59 PM
I don't recall anything about "mastering" spell books. pray tell....

As for finesse.. yes, no exactly the best for a bow build, HOWEVER, our GM has a... history, shall we say, of forcing you into either giving up, or being unable to use your primary weapon sometimes...

For example, the racist dwarven village that asks for your medium sized or larger weapons at the gate. And then try to lynch you later, while you have nothing but a dagger and an improvised club to hold off the horde.

Ever since then, I have promised myself to at least be decent with a backup melee weapon, and if that means Finesse, than so be it. *shrug*

Remsus
2010-12-28, 10:47 PM
In my opinion if you want to go Bow-spec, you should look at other class combinations than just Ranger.

The Fighter Archer class specific feature (just go to Pathfinder OGC to find it) gives you all kinda goodies, like disarming shot, pinning shot etc. Also, Fighter Archers will outdamage a Ranger any day (but you sacrifice spells and pet).

I also recommend looking into the Arcane Archer class.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-28, 10:58 PM
In my opinion if you want to go Bow-spec, you should look at other class combinations than just Ranger.

The Fighter Archer class specific feature (just go to Pathfinder OGC to find it) gives you all kinda goodies, like disarming shot, pinning shot etc. Also, Fighter Archers will outdamage a Ranger any day (but you sacrifice spells and pet).

I also recommend looking into the Arcane Archer class.

The Fighter Archer ACF actually kinda sucks. you lose out on boosts to your Armor Max Dex, which is more advantageous than the little piddling things that the Archer fighter gives you, which you could get anyway. Out of all of the various Combat Maneuver bow feats, pinning is the best. Many creatures dont carry weapons, so I feel disarm is a trap.

by going into another class than ranger, I also lose out (not just on Divine Spells) But also arcane spells, due to Sword of The Arcane Order feat.

This ^ makes Ranger better than fighter, any day. Doesn't matter what ACF you use, spells trump just about anything else. (even if it is just half caster progression.)

With Shooting Star substitution levels and Practiced Spellcaster feat, you are a ranger with divine and arcane spells, with a Caster Level of 16... and even if you can only cast up to level 4 spells, it is good.

Coidzor
2010-12-28, 11:12 PM
Ah. So you just need to kill on sight then. :smallwink:

I believe the rules are in the equipment/materials section of Complete Arcane, after the subject of different materials for building them out of (say, copper leaf pages inside of an iron cover) and before the subject of discussing placing traps inside the spellbook.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-28, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I actually looked it up, that whole "mastering" thing. Pretty handy, and much quicker than the way I did it... which is one spell, one spellcraft check at a time... GM says I can do that from now on, and we can't remember why we weren't doing that in the first place, as that we knew about the rule at some point in the past...

But, ah, any feat suggestions for level 9 and later?

Coidzor
2010-12-29, 12:09 AM
Obtain Familiar + Improved/Dragon/X Familiar, might be of interest, though depends upon DM adjudication in favor of you being able to take it. You've got a better HD and Con than most, just depends on whether Sword of the Arcane Order will allow it.

Hmm. Might consider the reserve feat (Complete Mage, I believe) Minor Shapeshift once you get high enough level spells, but since you're not a mystic ranger and you get 4th level spells so late it might not be useful anymore by that point... Not sure, so I'll leave the judgment call on that to others.

Hidden Talent for Psionic Minor Creation can be good if you're interested in poisons (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0)at all. As would be Master of Poisons for that matter. Though mid-late game is a bit late to get in on the poison action, still, as an archer, it's still viable with the multiple forced saves. Some ability to get poison use or immunity without spending a feat'd probably be better though.

edit:
Sense Weakness from Draconomicon(p. 106) that I found here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866186/The_Ultimate_Archer_Handbook) was interesting. Seems potentially useful for dealing with enemies with DR as an archer, especially without some form of bonus damage dice, that you might not be able to get around completely with materials or what have you.

edit2:
So what kind of bow are you using anyway? This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)is one of the top contenders for best base bow. I think the main rival is bow of the Winterymoon or sommat.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-12-29, 03:01 AM
Haha. Yes, Hanks bow. I have seen that before.
1.) buying that bow would leave me with nothing gp wise for my level
2.) I dont like that it glows as a torch when drawn

Other than that, it is wonderful. However, I have Pathfinder's Deadly aim feat in my build, which replicates the Power Shot thingy it has going... though the 2d6 force damage is super nice. again though, I wont have the cash to spare for at least 2-3 levels. *shrug*

Right now i have a +1 Elvencraft Composite Longbow. saving money to make it Splitting (+3?), maybe? I could easily make it +2 though, should I want to.

I might look into the Sense weakness feat, but I wouldnt be able to get that until level 13 anyway. (level 9 if I drop Finesse, which past experiences tell me not to)