PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Hit 14th level, What Spells to take??

Brom
2010-12-28, 07:16 PM
Okay, so a few things to know. I hit 14th level on a Sorcerer in a one on one campaign (I'm the only player) and now get to pick a new 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th level spell.

Firstly, I have Penumbra Bloodline. (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Penumbra_Bloodline)

Secondly, Rae (the sorcerer in quesiton) is technically a solo character, but my character has befriended several high level entities (including a Cleric and Fighter who he is currently adventuring with) and including a 13th level Druid, who is his girlfriend (although not official adventuring buddy).

So the spell in question needs to be equally viable outside and inside of parties.

I have access to core, complete mage, complete adventurer, complete divine, complete arcane, players handbook II, complete scoundrel, Libris Mortis, book of vile darkness, Dragon Magic, and Complete Warrior.

Sorcerer is Chaotic Good (hard line Chaotic Good. To the point where he's looking into multiclassing into Paladin of Freedom.)

So yeah - advice on spells?

Current Spell List

0th

Message, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Mending, Arcane Mark, Detect Poison

1st

Obscuring Mist, Summon Monster I, Feather Fall, Magic Missile, Grease, True Strike

2nd

Darkness, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Shatter, Resist Energy, Heart of Air

3rd

Nondetection, Phantom Steed, Tongues, Major Image, Dispel Magic, Heart of Water

4th

Black Tentacles, Polymorph, Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Heart of Earth

5th

Shadow Evocation, Teleport, Telekinesis , Heart of Fire, one undecided spell slot

6th Level Mage of the Arcane Order Spells Known

Shadow Walk, Disintegrate, Antimagic Field, one undecided spell slot

7th Level Mage of the Arcane Order Spells Known

Plane Shift, one undecided spell slot

Feats Due to house ruling around having feat ''points'' gained at each level (with 3 at first and 3 more each time you get a bonus feat) and having each feat possess a feat point value, I have more feats than usual.

This design is agreed on by my DM, and is to represent the fact that Quicken Spell or any of the other insanely useful feats does not = Athletics or Skill Focus (Handle Animal).

So I have:

Cooperative Spell [Human]
Sculpt Spell [Human]
Penumbra Bloodline [1st]
Force of Personality [3rd]
Still Spell [3rd]
Extra Spell [6th] (Heart of Air)
Extra Spell [9th] (Heart of Water)
Silent Spell [9th]
Extra Spell [12th] (Heart of Fire), Iron Will [12th]
Spell Focus (Necromancy) [13th]
Spell Focus (Enchantment) [14th]

(You can gain one feat point at following levels instead of 3 when you would normally gain a feat. I was feeling impatient =P)

Ernir
2010-12-28, 08:14 PM
What spells and feats do you currently have?

MammonAzrael
2010-12-28, 08:24 PM
Do you have access to the Spell Compendium? What spells have you focused on thus far? High DCs, blasty, utility, BFC?

Just going with Core for your newly acquired 7th level spell... (since I don't know what your current spell is)

Greater Teleport
Mass Hold Person
Prismatic Spray
Greater Shadow Conjuration
Finger of Death

kme
2010-12-28, 08:51 PM
Limited Wish is always nice for a sorcerer.

Fizban
2010-12-28, 08:59 PM
What Ernir said: really good to know your existing spell list and spells available from items like Runestaves/Knowstones/Belt of the Wide Earth/Robe of Mysterious Conjuration. Granted, you didn't mention the books any of those are in, but the rest of the list still applies.

I'll second Limited Wish myself. The xp cost isn't trivial, but you can definitely afford to cast it a couple of times per level when you need the boost. Being able to pull up Raise Dead or Reincarnate when there's no Cleric around is always useful (and if you can get Revivify from the Spell Compendium, it's even better). The option of a -7 penalty on the target's next save given in the spell description is also amazing for getting people to fail their saves against, well, anything. And there's all the other spells you can duplicate on demand, and removing lots of unique conditions without other cures. It may not be worth your first spell known if you don't have any metamagic to fill the slots up with normally, but I'd definitely take it soon.

Brom
2010-12-28, 09:04 PM
None of the items you mentioned are available to me.

How about good old fashioned Prismatic Spray for a 7th level spell? Seems to pack the most bang for my buck.

Also, Wall of Force or Wall of Stone for 5th? Sculpt spell and go crazy :P

Jack_Simth
2010-12-28, 09:18 PM
Limited Wish is always nice for a sorcerer.
Thirded.

Also: You don't have Heighten Spell? Seriously - it's a Sorcerer's Friend. One good Reflex save-or-lose + one good Will save-or-lose + one good Fort save-or-lose + one good no-save spell + one good no-SR spell + Heighten Spell = most offensive combat-bases covered. Seriously - Glitterdust (Will, no-SR), Resilient Sphere (Reflex), Stinking Cloud (Fort, No-SR), and Black Tentacles (No-save, No-SR). Heighten Spell is so that they don't become obsoleted by increasing saves. For that matter, you can get most things covered with 2nd level spells - Web (Relfex, no SR), Glitterdust (Will, no-SR), Cloud of Bewilderment (Spell Compendium - Fort, no SR) - all you need to add is a good no-save spell, and you're pretty much set.

Granted, it's more useful if you can avoid the increased casting time, but it seriously ups your options in battle.

Brom
2010-12-28, 09:28 PM
Used my unallocated Mage of the Arcane Order bonus feat points to obtain Heighten Spell at your suggestion :)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-28, 09:50 PM
Wait, you don't have Enervation? Seriously, pick that one up!!! Charm Monster will become less and less useful as you run into more and more immune, but Enervation = negative levels = good times. It functions as a no-save-just-die if metamagic'd properly, or just a debuff on attack, resists, spells known and able to use, maximum hit points, and effective level.

The only things really 'immune' to them, other than constructs, are undead, who benefit from it. Which is a lot narrower list than Charm Monster, and really, you already have Disintegrate for constructs and just let the Cleric Destroy Undead for you.

I notice you don't have Cloudkill. It makes a handy companion to Black Tentacles, for no-save-just-die since it's guaranteed Con damage every round.

Wall of Force is for the lulz, as immune to damage pretty much means they get to sit and wait while you re-prep (or simply teleport out).

Overland Flight. Never have to worry about walking again.

Baleful Polymorph. Fort save or Die, in effect.

Resistance, Superior is a 6th level spell. +6 Resistance bonus for 24 hours. You want a spell to Chain? This one makes a Cloak of Resistance obsolete overnight.

You don't have Greater Dispel Magic? Dude... that's a staple spell for a reason. Ditch Shadow Walk, you already have Teleport.

Contingency. No, really. If you don't get it, at least get Greater Shadow Evocation so you can still do it. But seriously, this is made of win.

For your 7th level spell....

Magnificent Mansion. It's Rope Trick's bigger and swankier brother. Perhaps not worth a spell know, but perhaps it is. Up to you.

Prismatic Spray. Bunch of different Save or possible Loose effects all wrapped up into one spell. Keep rolling, you'll get a natural 1 eventually...

Greater Shadow Conjuration. Because versatility is always handy.

Reverse Gravity. No save, No SR. Up, up and away... keep laughing, fat boy

Limited Wish. Okay, so it's got an xp component, that really sucks. But seriously, this spell has a TON of versitility. Ever wanted to cast a Heal spell (it's a 5th level spell on some PrC or another's class list)? Now you can. How about Divine Power? Now you have full BAB, and can still cast.

Brom
2010-12-28, 10:04 PM
Wait, you don't have Enervation? Seriously, pick that one up!!! Charm Monster will become less and less useful as you run into more and more immune, but Enervation = negative levels = good times. It functions as a no-save-just-die if metamagic'd properly, or just a debuff on attack, resists, spells known and able to use, maximum hit points, and effective level.

I decided I wasn't ready to blow feats on making it worth while.

The only things really 'immune' to them, other than constructs, are undead, who benefit from it. Which is a lot narrower list than Charm Monster, and really, you already have Disintegrate for constructs and just let the Cleric Destroy Undead for you.

And in my book that's worth not taking it for. If it doesn't work on next to everything, I'm hesitant to take it. If it doesn't work on next to everything and makes me roll attack, I don't feel I can trust it. I can be blinded, I can be hit with an attack roll debuff...

I only took Disintegrate for the additional utility presented by being able to destroy walls in structures. And because it's awesome.

I notice you don't have Cloudkill. It makes a handy companion to Black Tentacles, for no-save-just-die since it's guaranteed Con damage every round.

All right then. I do believe I'll take it.

Overland Flight. Never have to worry about walking again.

Meh. I've never been significantly challenged by walking. If need be, I can dip into the spellpool to take this. (Look at mage of the arcane order, complete arcane, page 58, or is it 48?)

Resistance, Superior is a 6th level spell. +6 Resistance bonus for 24 hours. You want a spell to Chain? This one makes a Cloak of Resistance obsolete overnight. This has my attention. What book is it from?

You don't have Greater Dispel Magic? Dude... that's a staple spell for a reason. Ditch Shadow Walk, you already have Teleport.

I got Shadow Walk for free from Penumbra bloodline. Greater Dispel Magic gives me +4 higher on dispel checks. I still don't feel high enough level to warrant it.

Contingency. No, really. If you don't get it, at least get Greater Shadow Evocation so you can still do it. But seriously, this is made of win.

That's the plan. I get Greater Shadow Evocation free from Penumbra bloodline at level 16.

For your 7th level spell....

Magnificent Mansion. It's Rope Trick's bigger and swankier brother. Perhaps not worth a spell know, but perhaps it is. Up to you.

Not worth it to me. Something to Spellpool. Maybe ask one of the wizards I know in game to cast it for me.

Prismatic Spray. Bunch of different Save or possible Loose effects all wrapped up into one spell. Keep rolling, you'll get a natural 1 eventually...

I loved the look of it, I'm reconsidering. Half of the effects are damage effects with reflex for half. I'm wondering if there will ever be anything I can't more reliably disable with my many other spells.

Greater Shadow Conjuration. Because versatility is always handy. I refuse this on principle. Sounds bitchy x.x
I just do. "Your summoned Mount appears. You know it's not real. Do you get ride it...?"

Reverse Gravity. No save, No SR. Up, up and away... keep laughing, fat boy I love the picture, but if the spell is prevented by a ceiling, I'm hesitant to use it.

Although I'm getting ideas for this regarding use of Shatter and/or Disintegrate to deal with ceilings. Might be worth coming back to.

Limited Wish. Okay, so it's got an xp component, that really sucks. But seriously, this spell has a TON of versitility. Ever wanted to cast a Heal spell (it's a 5th level spell on some PrC or another's class list)? Now you can. How about Divine Power? Now you have full BAB, and can still cast.

Divine power puts me in melee, but that aside...argh.

I would, but I want to hold to my criteria that it's something I can cast every day. I could cast Limited Wish every day, but then I wouldn't have XP =P

Jack_Simth
2010-12-28, 10:23 PM
This has my attention. What book is it from?Spell Compendium. Duration 24 hours, but you can't get it from the Spellpool because it's not in the PHB.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-28, 10:39 PM
I refuse this on principle. Sounds bitchy x.x
I just do. "Your summoned Mount appears. You know it's not real. Do you get ride it...?" It's more than just summoning effects. The following save or loose effects you do not have on your spell list are also duplicated:

* Sleet Storm - Grease's bigger brother that also blocks sight
* Stinking Cloud - Save or Loose
* Solid Fog - no save, just loose (although now it has a Will save for partial)
* Secure Shelter - at 2 hours per level, it is effectively a Wall of Stone that is even more obnoxious to get through
* Cloudkill (if you aren't picking it up as your 5th level spell)
* Wall of Stone
* Acid Fog - as Solid Fog, but with 5d6 Acid damage/round. Snare + dot, sounds good to me.
* Wall of Iron - can topple on foes. Squish them flat!

And that's *ONLY* Core. All of the 'orb of x' spells are also able to be duplicated.

I love the picture, but if the spell is prevented by a ceiling, I'm hesitant to use it.

Although I'm getting ideas for this regarding use of Shatter and/or Disintegrate to deal with ceilings. Might be worth coming back to. Basically, they 'fall' to the ceiling, taking falling damage for the distance between floor and ceiling. Yes, you can use this to slam someone against the ceiling, then AMF to drop them back to the floor, then move back to let it start and have them fall back up. You get the idea. It's also very handy to avoid pit-type traps. Just reverse gravity and walk along the ceiling. For the whole party.

Also, do this when you drop a Prismatic Sphere above them. They go through the entire spectrum, then in the middle, they're immune to spell effects, and fall back down through the spectrum. Then they get 'caught' by the reverse gravity and thrown back up through the spectrum. Remember Portal when you put a portal on a floor then jump in and fall through them repeatedly? Yea, it's kinda like that, only forcing seven saving throws on each iteration.

Divine power puts me in melee, but that aside...argh.

I would, but I want to hold to my criteria that it's something I can cast every day. I could cast Limited Wish every day, but then I wouldn't have XP =P

Heal. What, is your healbot hit with a Save or Loose that keeps him from doing anything? Here's your 'get out of TPK' card. Hell, the SpC version of the instant-res-before-they-truly-die (I can't remember what it was, but it was 5th level, and must be cast before the following round, or something like that), in case your healbot dies.

It also lets you cast any spell of 5th or lower that is of a prohibited school. So Mr Umbra bloodline can now have a way to shed some light on the topic.

gbprime
2010-12-28, 10:45 PM
Well with both Shadow Walk and Plane shift, you really don't need teleport or greater teleport. So I'd swap out Teleport for something this level. There are some killer spells from Spell Compendium I'd otherwise recommend. Pity.

5th - Wall of Force, Baleful Polymorph

6th - Steal Summoning is a real hoot, and it's an immediate action. Mass Suggestion or Chain Lightning would be good too. Really it depends on what kind of combats or situations you find yourself in.

7th - If the Dm will let you access Fiend Folio for summonable monsters, I'd suggest Summon Monster 7 actually. Movanic Deva. It can heal, cure, atone, and raise dead. Otherwise, Power Word Blind or Waves of Exhaustion.

And I would NOT go for Limited Wish, actually. Not in a tiny group, where you are more likely to have to pull something out of your hat than rely on your allies. You'd end up blowing too much XP that way.

Keld Denar
2010-12-28, 10:58 PM
Stun Ray is a nice single target save, but be screwed anyway spell. I also really like Radiant Assault for a will based AoE that evasion can't touch. Also suns. Both are in Spell Compendium.

gbprime
2010-12-28, 11:03 PM
Both are in Spell Compendium.

Which is not available to him. Alas.

Draz74
2010-12-28, 11:41 PM
Cloudkill is only awesome if you have some way to keep it from moving away from the battlefield after having one round of effect. In normal fights -- unless you're fighting large hordes of mooks -- it's awkward to use effectively.

Good call passing up Overland Flight -- you could only use it once per day, anyway, unless it gets dispelled. What you might want, however, is Phantom Steed. It lets you fly all day, too, but it's a lot faster than Overland Flight and can be used on your party members too. These advantages easily make up for the fact that in can be killed, if you play it right.

Prismatic Spray is deceptively weak, really. The random element really stinks compared to just hitting the target with a save-or-suck of your choice.

5th level: Persistent Image is one of my favorites. Telepathic Bond can actually be pretty handy.

7th level: Waves of Exhaustion actually isn't bad. Anything that fights with physical attacks, -3 attack/damage/AC/etc. No save. Also consider Spell Turning, Greater Arcane Sight, or Statue.

a Heal spell (it's a 5th level spell on some PrC or another's class list)?

Yeah, no PrC necessary -- the Adept is what you're looking for. Core, even.

Jack DeCoeur
2010-12-29, 01:07 AM
I can't help but notice you have access to Dragon Magic yet no-one has suggested Arcane Spellsurge for lv 7. It's duration is rather short (unless you use Persistent Spell meta-magic cheese), but if you have time to set up, it's easily good for an encounter. The benefit of using it in a solo campaign also gives you more action economy. Two spells per round? Nice. One thing to watch out for is reducing casting times too much and running out of swift actions, using Heighten pretty much negates this however. Bump a spell up a level (which is useful anyway to pump save DCs) to extend its casting time to a full round action, Arcane Spellsurge cuts it back down to a standard action, then cast any other spell as a Swift Action.

I pretty much guarantee you'll use it everyday too.

Draz74
2010-12-29, 03:27 AM
I can't help but notice you have access to Dragon Magic yet no-one has suggested Arcane Spellsurge for lv 7. It's duration is rather short (unless you use Persistent Spell meta-magic cheese), but if you have time to set up, it's easily good for an encounter. The benefit of using it in a solo campaign also gives you more action economy. Two spells per round? Nice. One thing to watch out for is reducing casting times too much and running out of swift actions, using Heighten pretty much negates this however. Bump a spell up a level (which is useful anyway to pump save DCs) to extend its casting time to a full round action, Arcane Spellsurge cuts it back down to a standard action, then cast any other spell as a Swift Action.

I pretty much guarantee you'll use it everyday too.

That's ... a really hard suggestion to argue with. :smallcool:

Keld Denar
2010-12-29, 11:47 AM
Better than Heighten would be MM like Twin or Split Ray or Empower. Use Residual Metamagic (CMage) if you have access, and you can really pump out the spells per round.