PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Shadowfell

mastermind
2010-12-28, 10:01 PM
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10055619)
Recruitment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10055721#post10055721)

The wind in you face is cool and comfortable. The rod beneath your feet is level. An occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating decades of neglect. You notice footprints leading up and down the road, many of which were made by small, clawed feet.

Please roll a perception check.

And edit this map to place your character. Start in the red box.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2n8wgtl.png

Places of characters so far. (http://i55.tinypic.com/ek3k37.png)

Khro
2010-12-28, 10:32 PM
Drajven grumbles constantly under his breath. It has not been a comfortable journey so far, and there doesn't appear to be any ale anywhere.

Perception [roll0]

mastermind
2010-12-28, 10:37 PM
Drajven looks around. He sees several boulders, a bunch of trees, and the clawed footprints.

TheBoyce
2010-12-28, 10:46 PM
Creon looks about in his usual wide-eyed manner. Has he been here before?...Maybe?

Perception [roll0]

mastermind
2010-12-28, 10:55 PM
Creon notices 2 small, scaly humanoid creatures hiding behind the rocks to the north and south, and hears muffled, high-pitched yipping coming from other outcroppings.

The rust colored, reptilian humanoids wield spears and javelins, and appear to be yipping quietly to one another and peering at your group whilst swishing their tails back and forth on the ground intensely, as if stalking prey.

Map up in a sec. Edit:It is here! (http://i56.tinypic.com/2dmau4w.png)

Will post again in the morning.

Sinfonian
2010-12-28, 11:59 PM
Akmeda looks at the creatures which Creon points out, and looks around to see if she can spot any more, like the academy taught her: never think that your only enemies are the ones you see.

Perception: [roll0]

(Edit: forgot to mention she'd start in the top-left corner of the box.)

Deadly
2010-12-29, 04:17 AM
Winter followed behind the group, her cloak wrapped around her tightly and her tail dragging along the road behind her. She walked quietly, her eyes always on the horizon as if she tried to see what was in store for them all down the road.

Perception [roll0]

mastermind
2010-12-29, 09:21 AM
Only OOC:
The only person who sees anything is Creon, and he has yet to point the creatures out.

If he did, the creatures would realize they were noticed (Unless he said it to the party instead of pointing at them), and attack immediately.

The map will be up soon.
Edit: Here it is! (http://i55.tinypic.com/w0i3hi.png)

Gillric
2010-12-29, 09:43 AM
Snarn stands ready, with his shield in hand.

mastermind
2010-12-29, 09:45 AM
Snarn notices that the forest is of the evergreen variety.

Are you going to start moving forward?

King Tius
2010-12-29, 09:46 AM
Finneas continues his whistling as he walks briskly to keep up with the taller folk.

mastermind
2010-12-29, 09:50 AM
Finneas manages to catch up. He is behind Snarn.

Map up in a sec.

Map (http://i54.tinypic.com/28cni4o.png)

King Tius
2010-12-29, 10:57 AM
Perception check to notice the kobolds: [roll0]

TheBoyce
2010-12-29, 01:45 PM
Creon is no fool...well okay maybe he is a fool, but he can not act foolish from time to time. This is luckily one of those instances and so he does not point out the watchers like an idiot. Instead he speaks in a low voice to alert his allies but not his supposed enemies.

"We are being watched, by ones who do not like us I think. Perhaps I should flush them out yes?"

Can I launch an attack on them as a surprise round?

mastermind
2010-12-29, 06:37 PM
No, because they're attacking.

Small creatures hiding behind the rocks spring into view and begin to move toward you. With a shriek, the small humanoids attack. Scaled and rust-colored, they have reptilian heads and tails.

No surprise round, Creon warned you in time.

Turn 1 starts now.
I will try to post 1 monster attacking on each post I make, and when all 6 of your turns are used up, I'll move the remaining monsters.

Also, you may make a knowledge (Nature) check to decipher what these creatures are.

Battle Map (http://i53.tinypic.com/zo6ckx.png) (Disregard the M on the right, it's just there as to ease the editing process.)

Deadly
2010-12-29, 07:06 PM
Torn out of her thoughts by the sudden appearance of scaly things, Winter throws her cloak to the side to free her hands. Holding up a small, smooth orb a swirl of blades erupt among her attackers. "Watch out there!" she calls, warning the others of the sharp blades, while trying to figure out just what kind of critters these are.

We just act in the order we post?

Nature to identify attackers [roll0]

Cloud of Daggers, centered on the one straight ahead of Winter

Attack: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Any creature that starts their turn within or enters the zone take 3 damage. The zone lasts until end of my next turn, unless I decide to extend it using Orb of Imposition.

TheBoyce
2010-12-29, 07:15 PM
"Aggressiveness ascertained, their fury shall be drained."

Creon's eyes glow and the tattoos covering his body begin to writhe as the psion's mind attempts to connect with the creatures'. Those with weak wills feel their hearts crippled with fear.

Cast Dishearten centered to hit the four in front of the party.

Attack Rolls Vs Will: Top left- [roll0]
Top Middle- [roll1]
Middle- [roll2]
Bottom Right- [roll3]

Damage: [roll4]
On hit: -2 to attacks until my next turn

King Tius
2010-12-29, 07:41 PM
Finneas's hands swirl with arcane might as he unleashes a chaos bolt at one of the monsters. He'll target any of them that didn't get hit by the blades or psychic attack (or whichever looks most injured if they all get hit).

Attack: [roll0] vs Will
Damage: [roll1]

If 1st attack roll is Even

Attack: [roll2] vs Will
Damage: [roll3]

If 2nd attack roll is Even

Attack: [roll4] vs Will
Damage: [roll5]

mastermind
2010-12-29, 07:55 PM
Winter
These are Kobold Minions, which are small natural humanoids. It is a Level 1 Minion (A minion has only 1 HP, but a missed attack never damages it)The conjured blades rip apart the kobold.

Creon
All of the creatures except for the one on the bottom right are hit. Their lizard-like heads explode in a puff of Psionic energy, and their bodies turn to purple ashes.

Finneas
The bolt destroys the scaly creature left standing on the bottom right.

OOC
Battle Map (http://i56.tinypic.com/23ii7ev.png) (Disregard anything in the gray area)

All who participated gain 50 XP

Deadly
2010-12-29, 08:11 PM
"Kobolds..." Winter muttered as she lowered her orb and glanced around "That seemed almost too easy, better keep an eye out for more of them."

Perception, trying to spot any more hiding enemies [roll0]

Sinfonian
2010-12-29, 08:13 PM
Akmeda draws her sword with a sneer as she sees the creatures advance. "I was beginning to think that this job was going to be boring..." However, her comrades, acting quicker than her, seem to have dispatched all of them before she was able. "Damn! Couldn't have left at least one for me?" She keeps her sword at the ready, in case these are not the only one around.

OOC:
Damnation! Had I not been cooking dinner, I'd have had a chance to act.

TheBoyce
2010-12-29, 08:38 PM
"Nullification, how odd...shall we continue?" Creon returns to surveying the world around him, paying no mind to the gore he just caused.

mastermind
2010-12-29, 08:49 PM
Suddenly, a fiery rock strikes Winter on the head. It appears to have come from the upper-left boulders.

Damage: [roll0], and ongoing 2 fire damage

More coming soon, so don't post yet.

Two other rust colored kobolds leap out from behind boulders and attack Finneas.

Attack Rolls:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage Rolls:
[roll3]
[roll4]

Battle Map (http://i56.tinypic.com/vecjs2.png)

Deadly
2010-12-30, 09:53 AM
Winter doesn't appreciate the knock to her head, and lets out a sneer "Accursed ones and accursed fire", responding with a blisteringly cold ray at one of the kobolds.

Winter currently at 11/22 hp (bloodied), ongoing 2 fire damage

Ray of Frost on the one to the left of Finneas

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] Critical hit, 10 damage instead

On a hit, the kobold is slowed until the end of my next turn

Winter moves 3 squares directly up

Saving throw to end ongoing damage [roll2]

The X WolF
2010-12-30, 10:10 AM
Luvin Covers his Halfling head with his hands and screams "no more rocks" and shivers

mastermind
2010-12-30, 12:18 PM
Dragon-shield Kobold's HP:
26/36
36/36
Note: These are Level 2 Soldiers

Hidden Kobold's HP:
24/24

Winter manages to snuff out her hair's fire. Her cold ray seemed to do the trick, and the red-scaled kobold she had hit is now a little blue.

TheBoyce
2010-12-30, 12:48 PM
"Logistics! More important than one might think. Hey you! MOVE!"

A burst of force knocks a kobold back so it is now adjacent to its ally.

"Now properly place assaults may start!"

The same attack Creon launched earlier seeking to sap the will of the two nearest kobolds.

Forceful Push the bottom kobold one square to the left

Dishearten centering on the square behind the Kobold still adjacent to Finneas

Attack Rolls:
Top Kobold- [roll0]
Bottom Kobold- [roll1]

Damage: [roll2]
Effect: Any target hit takes -2 to attacks

mastermind
2010-12-30, 01:19 PM
21/36
36/36

Hidden Kobold's HP:
24/24

The top kobold cringes and a muscle spasm injures him. The bottom kobold is thrust to the west by an unseen force.

Map (http://i55.tinypic.com/zl1yd.png)

Sinfonian
2010-12-30, 01:23 PM
"Now's time to get a workout," Akmeda says with undisguised anticipation. She circles around the closest creature (opposite Finneas, sword and shield held tightly, moving into position to strike at one of the scaly things.

Akmeda uses Wolf Pack Tactics, shouting for Finneas to get away from the creature and let someone more suited for fighting step up (he has the opportunity to shift 1 square as a free action).

Attack: [roll0] (+2 if Finneas does not move, due to flanking)
Damage [roll1]

Edit: OOC
That move was predicated on Finneas being there. I didn't check OOC before posting, and now they're switched...If given the chance I would have changed maneuvers to Furious Smash. If it hits (and it'd have the flanking bonus), it would do 4 damage and allow Snarn a +3 bonus to attack an damage on his next swing.

mastermind
2010-12-30, 01:29 PM
OOC
Your attack missed, and you're opposite Finneas

The top kobold notices Akmeda moving in behind him, and grazes her side, disrupting her attack.

4 Damage, and you are marked (-2 to any attack that doesn't include the top kobold)

Gillric
2010-12-30, 01:30 PM
Snarn draws his long sword and calls out, Enough of this.

Minor: Draw Sword
Free: Mark all enemies adjacent to me, so both dragon-shields
Standard: Weight of Earth against Dragon-shield directly in front of me
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage and slowed until the end of my next turn

OOC:
So those of us that didn't get to act in that first little bit didn't get the 50 exp I assume?

King Tius
2010-12-30, 02:22 PM
Finneas again unleashes his Chaos Bolt! This time he aims for the closest kobold.

If Attack roll is even:

mastermind
2010-12-30, 05:06 PM
Whilst Finneas's spell fizzles out, Snarn strikes true and bloodies the Dragonsheild.

12/36
36/36

Hidden Kobold's HP:
24/24

Khro
2010-12-31, 08:42 AM
OK, I'm going to pull out my big axe (and my little one if it is part of the same minor action.)

Drajven wakes up from his reverie and starts paying a little more attention. "Monsters to kill? Jubilations, it's my lucky day." He moves towards the group of friends the charges the bottommost scaly thing.

That's a move in front of the F on the right then a charge using knockdown assault.
Attack vs Fort: [roll0]
Damage: 4 and the target is knocked prone.

King Tius
2010-12-31, 08:45 AM
Finneas fires again, aiming for the bloodied kobold.

Damage:[roll1]

If first attack is even:

Attack: [roll2]
Damage:[roll3] vs Will

If second attack is even:

Attack: [roll4]
Damage:[roll5] vs Will

mastermind
2010-12-31, 10:33 AM
-8/36 (Dead)
36/36

Hidden Kobold's HP:
24/24

With the combined forces of steel and spell, the Dragonsheild kobold surely fell.

However, the other Dragonsheild attacks Snarn, and His short sword strikes true. A fiery rock coming from the top-left boulders misses the group.

5 Damage on Snarn.

Note: I am not showing the NPC's and Monster's rolls.

Deadly
2010-12-31, 10:52 AM
"I'm going for the coward over there!" Winter call to the others, then walks north in search of the kobold throwing flaming rocks at them, intent on ending its life. Upon finding her enemy she raises her hand and a green mist surrounds the critter.

Winter moves as close as needed to get the hidden kobold within sight, assuming this is no more than 6 squares.

Ray of Enfeeblement on hidden kobold

Attack vs. Fortitude: [roll0]

On a hit it is weakened until the end of my next turn

mastermind
2010-12-31, 11:30 AM
"I'm going for the coward over there!" Winter cal...

The mist succeeds. The kobold hiding is a Kobold Slinger.

-8/36 (Dead)
36/36

Kobold Slinger's HP:
17/24

The slinger slung another rock, this one at Winter. It was covered with a sticky substance, and Winter is now immobilized. However, due to the weakening, it only did 2 damage. the slinger slunk around the boulder.

Battle Map (http://i54.tinypic.com/2ajqbnq.png)

King Tius
2010-12-31, 11:38 AM
Finneas fires again at the two kobolds in front of him

Damage; [roll1]

If First attack roll is even:

Damage; [roll3]

Gillric
2010-12-31, 12:19 PM
Snarn lashes out at the nearest enemy.

Standard: Weight of Earth
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage and target is slowed until end of next turn
Free: mark him

mastermind
2010-12-31, 12:58 PM
OOC Only
Unfortunately, both attacks miss.

King Tius
2010-12-31, 01:10 PM
I guess he fires again....

If first roll is even:

TheBoyce
2010-12-31, 01:22 PM
Creon taps into his reserves and a net forms around the Kobold Slinger seeking to pull it closer to the group.

use Kinetic Trawl, Augment 1 on Kobold Slinger

Attack Roll vs Ref: [roll0]
Effect Pull Slinger 3 squares

mastermind
2010-12-31, 01:36 PM
Although Finneas manages to hit, the slinger manages to dodge the Psionic impulse.

-8/36 (Dead)
19/36

Kobold Slinger's HP:
17/24

Battle Map (http://i52.tinypic.com/2jcvotx.png)

Sinfonian
2010-12-31, 02:17 PM
Akmeda (who should be in the square two to the left of Snarn) grins at the fall of one of the creatures. She will shift down one square and attack the remaining
Dragon-shield.

She will use Wolf Pack Tactics, allowing Snarn to reposition himself by shifting one square as a free action.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 more if Snarn shifts down into flanking position)

King Tius
2010-12-31, 02:58 PM
and again! (it seems silly I get to go so often)

Attack: [roll0]

If first attack is even:

If second attack is even:

Attack: [roll4] vs Will
Damage: [roll5]

mastermind
2010-12-31, 04:08 PM
OOC
You killed the last Dragon-Shield.

Slinger HP: 17/24

A rock flies out from behind the boulder, hitting Finneas squarely on the head for 8 damage.

Battle Map (http://i52.tinypic.com/1zq6hz5.png)

Deadly
2011-01-01, 01:34 AM
Winter is stuck where she stands. "Damn it!" she mutters as she tries to get free of the stickyness.

How long is she immobilized? Can I save against it?

In case I can: [roll0]

mastermind
2011-01-01, 12:48 PM
Winter manages to break free of her bonds.

TheBoyce
2011-01-01, 01:33 PM
Creon is not a fan of failing and so he will attempt to repeat his last action, only successfully this time...hopefully

use Kinetic Trawl, Augment 1 on Kobold Slinger

Attack Roll vs Ref: [roll0]
Effect Pull Slinger 3 squares

Sinfonian
2011-01-01, 04:39 PM
Akmeda moves to a better position advantageous position (diagonally up-right 2 squares and shouts at the slinger. "You useless scaly bum, you'll be sorry you left wherever you came from!" Having done so, she notices the female wizard emerging from the sticky mess, looking much worse for wear. She shouts at Winter too, "Come on! Don't be a pansy!"

Akmeda's taunt was Vicious Mockery used on the Slinger.
Attack vs Will: [roll0]
If it hits, the target takes a -2 penalty to all attacks until the end of my next turn.

The shout to Winter is an inspiring(-ish) word, allowing Winter to spend a healing surge and gain an additional [roll2]. Additionally, she also gains a +1 bonus to all defenses until the end of my next turn.

Deadly
2011-01-02, 04:45 AM
"Pansy!?" Winter frowns with a slight stomp and shake of her limbs, as she gets the worst of the slime off. Then she raises her orb at the kobold and unleashes a cold fury upon it.

Winter spends a surge and regains 5+4=9 hp. Now at 18/22 hp, and +1 to all defences

Assuming Creon's pull gets the kobold within my line of sight, otherwise move so that it is

Ray of Frost against kobold

Attack vs Fort [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

mastermind
2011-01-02, 02:04 PM
The slinger is dead.

XP to be divided amongst all who participated:

60 each if 6 participated.
70 each if 5 participated.
90 each if 4 participated.
115 each if 3 participated.
175 each if 2 participated.
350 if only 1 participated.

Deadly
2011-01-03, 02:10 AM
Winter brushes off the last slime and looks around "No doubt more of these may show up. We should hurry before they do" she says and walks up to the dead slinger, quickly examining it for anything of importance

Perception, if needed [roll0]

mastermind
2011-01-03, 07:33 AM
Winter doesn't see anything else.

Gillric
2011-01-05, 08:08 AM
Lets proceed towards the nearest settlement before more appear.

Deadly
2011-01-05, 11:10 AM
Winter nods and begins walking down the road again.

Sinfonian
2011-01-05, 05:29 PM
Akmeda continues down the road, whistling a jaunty tune and pleased to have gotten in at least some excitement for the day. Perhaps more may await.

TheBoyce
2011-01-05, 06:39 PM
Creon agrees with a shrug, or at least one could take it as agreement. Whether he actually agrees with the assessment or not he starts moving on, looking around as before.

mastermind
2011-01-05, 08:10 PM
We are now on the next page. Yay!!!

The rutted King's Road leads to the foot of a broad hill that holds the walled village of Winterhaven. The village is nestled in the southern foothills of the Cairngorn Peaks. The walls are weathered stone topped by defensive palisades.

Small thatched homes stand around Winterhaven, each fronting a small piee of farmland or pasture. Beyond the farms to the west and south lie dark woods, and to the north, mountain peaks. You come from the east.

Now go ahead and ask questions about Winterhaven. Map up soon. It's Here!

Town Map (http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/3clipse/shadowfell/3dd546536cda8582783573e2563748db.jpg?v=201850)

Gillric
2011-01-06, 08:21 PM
Snarn approaches one of the guards at the main gate. Hello there good sir. Could you direct me to where I could find refreshment and take my ease after my travels?

mastermind
2011-01-06, 08:36 PM
The guard points towards the building nearest to the gate, "Wrafton's Inn would be the best option. And the market square is to the left, if you need to trade after."

Gillric
2011-01-06, 08:39 PM
Thank you for your assistance. Snarn heads towards the Inn.

mastermind
2011-01-06, 09:20 PM
The inn is rather spacious, but at this time of the day, you can only see 8 customers, the bartender, and 2 waitresses. You can also see a cook in the back.

Deadly
2011-01-07, 04:49 AM
Winter approaches the guard as well "Excuse me. We ran into a few kobolds on the way here, do you know if they have been a problem around here?" she asked, wondering that maybe the assault was a sign of more than just random bandits along the way.

Gillric
2011-01-07, 01:45 PM
Snarn enters the inn and heads for an empty table where he can put his back to the wall and surveys the other patrons.

Perception: [roll0] (just in case)

mastermind
2011-01-07, 05:24 PM
Winter
The guard instantly becomes stern, "I wish we had more resources. I'd love to drive those kobolds out of the area and back to whatever foul pit spawned them. I have heard the whispered name of a marauder leader named Irontooth, but I have no idea who or what that might be. If you have reason to learn any more, I'd appreciate you sharing your findings with me. I'm Rond Kelfem, by the way, and I'm leader of the town guard." He smiles and extends his hand.

Snarn

You see that the bartender is a human female. There's also several farmers, the most notable being an older one sitting in the corner that the others seem to respect.
There is also a scholarly human male type, who seems to be chatting with a regal-looking person. He addresses him often by 'Lord' and 'Lord Padraig.'
The only other oddity is a female elf sitting quietly in a shrouded area, who is sipping wine alone.

Gillric
2011-01-07, 05:28 PM
Snarn waves over one of the waitresses. I'd like a pint of your ale and some good conversation. What can you tell me about your other customers? The scholar and the regal man with him? Who are they? Also, what is the story with the elf?

Sinfonian
2011-01-07, 10:35 PM
Akmeda follows Snarn into the inn, and orders two mugs of ale, saying with a smirk "It saves time waiting for refills. There's not much better than a good pint after a fight. Eh?"
She looks over to Snarn, wondering why the elf might be any of his business. The elf might not have proper sense in what to order in a proper tavern, but her privacy ought to be respected. She keeps this opinion to herself, but allows her face to say it with a look of annoyance.

OOC:
Snarn's color also seems to be orange. I'll change mine to Red then.

Deadly
2011-01-08, 06:17 AM
Winter shakes the hand "Pleased to meet you. We may be running into these marauders again, so if we find anything I'll be sure to let you know. Can you tell me anything about the area around here? Any particular places these critters might be holed up, for example?"

Khro
2011-01-08, 08:25 AM
Drajven follows the others to the inn and grabs a drink. He sharpens his axe alone at the one of the tables, then wanders up to the bar to get a second drink and gather some gossip about the town and surrounding area.

Diplomacy [roll0]

mastermind
2011-01-08, 11:00 AM
Snarn
The waitress points you over to the bartender, "Salvana knows a bit more about these things."

Winter
"Frankly, ma'am, I haven't the slightest idea. However, they usually come from the south and east."

Drajven
What are you going to ask about?

Keep in mind your objective is to explore n old keep, so you may want to here about that.

Gillric
2011-01-08, 11:35 AM
Thank you for your assistance. Snarn stands and approaches the bar. He pulls up a stool at the empty end of the bar and gestures to get the bartenders attention. Your waitress tells me you might be able to assist me. I am looking for some information as I am new to the area, what can you tell me about the scholar and the regal man with him? Who are they? Also, what is the story with the elf off by herself?

Deadly
2011-01-08, 03:26 PM
Winter nods "South and east. Thank you. Do you know if there is someone here who knows the area well?"

TheBoyce
2011-01-08, 03:40 PM
Creon has no particular need for anything, nor does he really want any information from others. Instead he spends his time wandering the city street looking at buildings seeing if anything jogs his memory.

History: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

If you couldn't tell I've got Creon as an amnesiac, but in his case he did it to himself and so he's rather at a loss

mastermind
2011-01-08, 03:43 PM
Snarn
The bartender says that the scholar is Valthrun the Prescient, and the regal man is Lord Padraig, the leader of the town. She also says that the elf is Ninaran.

Winter
"No, nobody that I can think of."

Gillric
2011-01-08, 04:31 PM
Ah, so the man is a Prescient, maybe I should have a chat with him. Thank you kindly, and how much for the pint?

Sinfonian
2011-01-09, 05:42 AM
Akmeda takes her 2 ales, and goes over to where Dravjen is sitting She gulps down the first ale rather quickly, and then begins to sip the second at normal person speed. She attempts to give a shot at asking the locals in the bar who in town might know about the ruined fortress.

Diplomacy:
[roll0]

Deadly
2011-01-10, 06:09 PM
"Thank you for you time anyway, sir. Good day" Winter says to the guard and turns to enter the village, a little disappointed, but maybe she can find someone or something else.

She heads down the street, sticking to the south. She figures the village is small enough that it won't take much time exploring it, and maybe she'll stumble over some interesting place or person.

Just to be clear, Winter is taking the south road for now, heading south of number 8 towards number 10 on the map. She's looking at the various buildings and people on her way, to see if any strike her as interesting.

mastermind
2011-01-10, 08:15 PM
Snarn
"1 silver."

Akmeda
The locals say Valthrun knows the most.

Winter
Key:
1- Gates
2- Wrafton's Inn
3- Market Square
4- Stables
5- Smithy
6- A tower of some sort. 5 stories tall, highest in Winterhaven
7- Bairwin's Grand Shoppe
8- A guild of some sort
9- Tenements
10- Temple to several deities, although the symbol of Avandra is the focus.
11- Another gate

Gillric
2011-01-10, 08:23 PM
Snarn hands Salvana a silver piece, This is for the ale, and then he hands over another one, and this is for being so helpful. I wonder if you could do me one last service? Who is that farmer the others seem to hold in such high regard?

Khro
2011-01-11, 04:21 AM
"And where is Valthrun?" Drajven says.

mastermind
2011-01-11, 08:12 AM
Snarn
"He is Elian the Old."

Drajven
"The scholar talking to Lord Padraig."

Gillric
2011-01-11, 08:50 AM
Snarn takes his ale and goes to join his companions to share what he has learned with them as well as to see what they have learned.

Gillric
2011-01-13, 09:30 AM
Sitting down at the table with Drajven and Akmeda, Snarn relates what information he has gathered. Well, the noble looking man at that table there, Snarn gestures to the table with two men talking, is Lord Padraig, the leader of this town. The man with him is Valthrun, a scholar who is rumoured to be a prescient. The strange elf sitting off by herself is known as Ninaran, and the only other figure of note is the elder farmer there that everyone else seems to hold in high esteem. He is Elian the Old. What have you learned? Snarn sips his ale and awaits his companions reply.

Sinfonian
2011-01-13, 05:25 PM
Akmeda nods toward the scholar, "That bookish man over there, Valthrun, is the one most likely to know something about the keep we're here to check out. We should definitely have a word with him to be prepared for what might be coming ahead for us when we go. Perhaps if he is a prescient, he can tell us something more specific than lore."

Deadly
2011-01-13, 05:28 PM
Unsure where to go for now, Winter heads for the tavern to find the others. It seemed as likely to help as anything else.

Gillric
2011-01-13, 08:00 PM
Seeing Winter enter the Inn, Snarn waves her over to were he and the others are sitting. Discover anything interesting out in the town?

Deadly
2011-01-14, 04:19 AM
Winter takes a seat "Not much. The kobolds have been a bit of a problem around here, and may be led by someone called Irontooth. They usually come from the south-east. The guard I talked to didn't seem to know the area very well, but I figure kobolds like ruins so it's not unreasonable to think the keep we seek is somewhere to the south-east, and that it is infested by these lizards." She looks around the tavern "Someone in this city must know about ruins in the area, no? Have you talked to anyone here?"

Sinfonian
2011-01-14, 05:29 AM
"As I was just saying, the scholar over there is the one I'm told is most likely to know about the the ruins we're here to look into."

Deadly
2011-01-14, 05:57 AM
Winter nods "But you haven't talked to him yet?"

Gillric
2011-01-14, 07:45 AM
Not yet, we were just sharing what we had learned when you arrived. Should we approach him while he is with lord Padraig? Or what until he is alone?

Deadly
2011-01-14, 12:21 PM
"Hmm. Probably best not to interrupt."

mastermind
2011-01-16, 09:08 PM
OOC
(If you wait, Padraig leaves in half an hour.)

Gillric
2011-01-18, 06:29 AM
OOCSnarn will wait

Deadly
2011-01-18, 06:47 AM
Seeing noone jump at the chance to speak to the scholar, and hearing no protests to her suggestion, Winter takes a seat and leans back, waiting for Padraig to leave. Once he does, she gets up and approaches the scholar "Excuse me, sir, do you have a moment? My friends and I are looking for information about the area around here."

mastermind
2011-01-18, 04:27 PM
"Of course, traveler. What knowledge do you wish to attain?"

Deadly
2011-01-19, 06:28 AM
Winter takes a seat "We are looking for an old keep in the area, or what might be left of it at least."

mastermind
2011-01-19, 07:27 AM
"The keep was built during the height of the old empire. Some sort of watchtower. I can't recall what for. Some think it was to guard against gnoll marauders, but I don't think that's right. Whatever, the keep outlived its usefulness. It's been a ruin since before I was born. Probably a goblin lair by this time.

"But you've whetted my curiosity. When I return to my tower, I'll look through my library. The next time you see me here, I will know more.

"Other than that, is there anything else you wish to know?"

Gillric
2011-01-19, 12:10 PM
On a side matter, what do you know of the kobolds that are causing problems in the surrounding areas?

mastermind
2011-01-19, 04:16 PM
"Not much. You could talk to Rond, the captain of the guard, or Bairwin. Bairwin owns the general store by the market square, the one with the yellow roof."

Sinfonian
2011-01-19, 05:54 PM
"Thank you for offering to research the ruins for us. When you do could you perhaps tell us why these ruins are any different from any others? Why might someone be interested enough in them to hire us to look into them."

mastermind
2011-01-19, 08:38 PM
"To be frank, there aren't many records on them. If the person who hired you was a scholar, he probably hired you because he lacked many records of the place."

Deadly
2011-01-20, 05:51 AM
Winter nods "It's a ruin of the past, that in itself is reason enough for many to be interested in it. And if it hasn't been explored and charted much before that's all the more reason to do so now, I'd say."

Gillric
2011-01-20, 11:18 AM
Yes, it may be that that is the only reason for exploring this ruin but I would like to ask around a little bit more before we charge off to it. This will be our base of operations so we should become familiar with it. Snarn then stands and moves to approach the farmers.

Well met good men and women. Can any of you tell me about the ruins of an old keep near here? I would also like to know of any other rumours and news about the area.

Deadly
2011-01-20, 11:30 AM
"Oh, I wasn't about to run off right now" Winter responds to Snarn before returning her attention to the sage "We'll be looking forward to anything you find, certainly. I already talked to Rond, so perhaps we should go see this Bairwin next" she says and stands

mastermind
2011-01-20, 04:19 PM
Snarn:

The farmers don't have anything to add.

Gillric
2011-01-20, 05:50 PM
OOC
I was more directing it at Elian the Old who I assumed was with the farmers. No rumours or news from the surrounding area?

Sinfonian
2011-01-21, 02:39 PM
Akmeda thanks the scholar for his time and returns to the table at which she and her companions were seated. As she sips the last of her second mug of ale, she leans forward slightly onto the table and says:

"I think we should stay the night, visit Valthrun in the morning for anything he might have dug up at home, and then head straight for the ruins. This task doesn't sound like it ought to be all that difficult and we ought to have little trouble with it. Any other ideas?"

mastermind
2011-01-22, 12:14 PM
Snarn
Still nothing.

Deadly
2011-01-22, 01:54 PM
"Sounds fine to me" Winter responds to Akmeda "I'll go see if I can find this fellow Bairwin, though. See if he knows something."

Gillric
2011-01-24, 04:41 PM
Snarn notes the others preparing to leave the Inn. If you don't mind Winter, I will accompany you.

Deadly
2011-01-24, 05:02 PM
Winter nods at Snarn "Let's go then" and leaves the inn, looking for the store with the yellow roof. Once she finds it, she enters, hoping to find Bairwin.

mastermind
2011-01-26, 01:19 PM
Bairwin is standing at a counter, and is attending to a few customers.

Deadly
2011-01-27, 05:50 AM
Winter approaches, waiting for him to finish with his current customers.

Gillric
2011-01-27, 09:56 AM
While waiting for Bariwin to become available, Snarn browses the shops merchandise.

mastermind
2011-02-02, 10:53 AM
Snarn
Snarn sees a variety of gear, mostly food, cloth, and rope.

Winter
"Hello, can I help you with anything?"

Deadly
2011-02-02, 02:30 PM
"Yes, I was hoping you might be able to tell me about the kobolds in the area."

mastermind
2011-02-02, 08:37 PM
"You met our Kobolds, I see. No, no, not ours, really. But they have made it a habit to harass travelers on the old King's road. You did not lose anything to them, did you?" He interupts you before you can speak. "Yes, what was once a minor annoyance has become a very real threat to the commerce of the village. Fewer and fewer travelers come our way these days, and even I have trouble keeping my shop stocked with the finest goods. I remember a trip I made to distant Clovermarsh. (Lovely place, really) but it was literally crawling with the yapping reptiles because the people of the area refused to drive them away. I wonder how long before the kobolds grow brave enough to strike the village itself?

"Alas, I ramble. Can I interest you travelers with some gear for traveling? I was recently able to acquire a Potion of Healing, brewed by the finest wizards of Ferresport. How about, say, 75 gold?" Bairwin presents an obtuse vial of liquid. It is purple, and smells faintly of cinnamon.

Deadly
2011-02-03, 06:19 AM
Winter considers the offered potion. Not that she could afford it, but perhaps one of the others might be interested. "Clovermarsh, in which direction is that? Are there any other places these kobolds seem to congregate?" she asks while examining the potion.

Arcana to identify the potion's contents [roll0]

mastermind
2011-02-03, 08:12 AM
"It's about 50 miles south. And Avandra knows where the Kobolds are meeting together..."

Avandra is a deity

Edit: And the potion is a healing potion. If you drink it, spend a healing surge and gain 10 hit points. This does not affect your second wind.

Deadly
2011-02-05, 06:52 AM
"I'm not particularly in need of your potion, but perhaps one of my friends might be interested. Do you have a map of the area, and some paper and ink?"

mastermind
2011-02-05, 09:22 AM
"Yes, it's over there on the wall. And the paper and ink would be 2 gold."

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp330/allegraissmart/mapofarea.png

Deadly
2011-02-06, 05:57 AM
Winter pays the 2 gp and goes to get herself a small stack of paper and some ink before looking for Snarn "You find what you're looking for? I imagine the others are waiting for us."

Gillric
2011-02-06, 09:26 AM
Yes, I am finished here. I will probably come back when I have more coin to spend. Lets get back.

mastermind
2011-02-06, 09:55 AM
You arrive back at Wrafton's Inn. What do you do next?

Remember, your time here counts as a short rest, so spend all the healing surges you need.

Deadly
2011-02-07, 06:19 AM
I spend a surge, regaining 5 hp. Now at full hp.

And I believe we were going to wait around for the scholar, then head out in the morning.

Sinfonian
2011-02-07, 10:42 AM
Akmeda will spend one surge, returning her to full health.

The X WolF
2011-02-07, 12:10 PM
Luvin goes o bed wishing he hadn't forgotten how to fight in the last encounter. he sleeps soundly.

mastermind
2011-02-07, 06:02 PM
I presume you all stay here? The cost of a night here (And dinner, which I presume you have) is 5 silver. It is 1 gold if yo want your own room, otherwise I assume you share with one other person (Each room is 1 gold)

Gillric
2011-02-08, 09:25 AM
Snarn pays his share of a room. Who will be bunking with me?

The X WolF
2011-02-08, 01:05 PM
I will I guess *Luvin pays five silver*

mastermind
2011-02-08, 07:18 PM
Skipping the rest of the paying process...

You sleep soundly. Chatter in the marketplace and the rays of the sun wake you up. Time to get back to the quest.

Deadly
2011-02-09, 07:56 AM
Winter pays for a room for herself. "With these prices I'd better get paid soon" she thinks to herself before going to rest.

In the morning she goes to find the others, and to see if the scholar has returned.

Gillric
2011-02-09, 08:19 AM
Snarn comes down to the common room shortly after Winter, Ah, I am not the first to awake, I trust you slept well? It may be the last chance for a good bed for a few days. Any sign of the scholar or will we have to go looking for him?

The X WolF
2011-02-09, 11:02 AM
Luvin offers to buy breakfast for the others, he has "acquired" some money in the days previous from the towns people.

mastermind
2011-02-09, 05:41 PM
Oi! Roll for thievery first!

Sinfonian
2011-02-09, 09:00 PM
Akmeda happily accepts the offer of a free, hearty breakfast. While still scarfing food, she manages to get "We gonna just see the scholar and get out of town?" She swallows and finishes the thought. "We're only getting paid so much for the whole job, let's get it done so that we can move on to the next paying gig."

Deadly
2011-02-10, 07:48 AM
Winter nods at Snarn and Akmeda "No sign of him yet, but it's still early. Still, I agree, the sooner we get going the better."

Deadly
2011-02-12, 06:07 AM
Since it seems to be settled, Winter leads the way out in search of the scholar.

mastermind
2011-02-12, 01:42 PM
The scholar dwells in the tallest tower in town. You head to the tower.

(That's 6 on the town map)

Deadly
2011-02-14, 10:12 AM
Winter... knocks on the door?

Gillric
2011-02-14, 01:32 PM
While they wait for the door to be answered, Snarn asks any passers by what they know about the scholar and for any news and rumors.

Street Wise: [roll0]

mastermind
2011-02-14, 09:12 PM
They don't seem willing to talk to a bunch of armed strangers about the whereabouts of Valthrun.

No one appears to be home at the tower.

Deadly
2011-02-16, 05:03 AM
"What now then?" Winter asks the others

Gillric
2011-02-16, 08:09 AM
Well, we have three options, we can wait for Valthrun. We can try to find another source of information, or we can head for the keep with what we know.

Deadly
2011-02-18, 05:21 AM
"Let's wait a little, but if he doesn't show up soon I think we should just get on our way and find that keep."

Winter waits a while for the scholar to show up. If he doesn't show up, she'll head out the city and, using the map she bought, lead the way towards the keep.

mastermind
2011-02-18, 08:06 AM
You wait several hours for Valthrun, but he does not come. You leave town, and are traveling along a path.

Sinfonian
2011-02-18, 01:48 PM
As they follow the path, going where the map leads them. Akmeda ponders over this odd action by the scholar. "Perhaps this Valthrun has something to do with the keep. He acted somewhat friendly at the inn, but then just up and disappeared on us." She shrugs and does not bother with that consideration any longer, instead looking forward to perhaps getting some excitement.

The X WolF
2011-02-19, 03:13 PM
Luvin "Perhaps we should go and ask some other people and see what they know"

mastermind
2011-02-21, 05:09 PM
Roll a perception check.

Deadly
2011-02-21, 05:22 PM
Perception[roll0]

Gillric
2011-02-21, 06:09 PM

Sinfonian
2011-02-21, 07:57 PM
Perception [roll0]

mastermind
2011-02-25, 10:48 PM
Gillric notices some kobolds hiding behind rocks, staring at the group and making low chittering noises.

Gillric
2011-02-26, 09:09 AM
Snarn motions for the others to stop and quietly whispers to the others. Look behind those rocks, kobolds.

Deadly
2011-03-01, 04:23 AM
Winter nods and whispers back "Any idea how many?"

Gillric
2011-03-01, 11:18 AM
Continuing to keep his voice low, I'm not sure how many, let me see if I can get a better idea of numbers. Snarn begins to shift to the side to get a better view around the rocks.

mastermind
2011-03-02, 06:35 PM
The kobolds jump out at you, grinning with anticipation...

"Ruk Jogen!!!"
"Vargan ney mort gan!"
"MORTU!!"

If any of you know Draconic...
"For Blue-Scale!"
"Rust-tail won't die in vain!"
"DIE!!!"
Otherwise, just ignore the above.

Kobolds got an initiative of 14.

mastermind
2011-03-06, 10:59 AM
Sorry about the double post again, just wanted to make sure those of you with subscriptions to this thread could see the views per character. The white lines are the borders of your vision. If you can only see part of a token, they have cover.

For now, let's go with Akmeda's view, she sees most of the kobolds that the others can see, and it's her turn.

http://i55.tinypic.com/dxbosw.jpg

Sinfonian
2011-03-07, 06:47 PM
Though there are several targets nearby, Akmeda looks at the kobold (assuming up is north) to the northeast of her, skulking behind a pile of rocks. "Hey you! Why don't you quit being a coward and come out into the open!"

Use Vicious Mockery: [roll0] vs Will
Damage: [roll1] if it hits the kobold gets -2 to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.

mastermind
2011-03-08, 07:48 AM
The reptilian humanoid sneers at you as the others advance.\

The kobold lurking behind the rocks launches an orb of pure acid at akmeda (11 vs ref, 10 acid damage) The other kobolds shift into position and attack. with a frenzy of spears.

Atk vs AC
Bottom: 14, 8 damage, Akmeda
Middle: 22, 5 damage, Snarn
Top: 9, 7 damage, Snarn

The way they moved in, you can probably hit the middle and bottom ones with an AoO if you choose.

Winter's View and Turn
http://i55.tinypic.com/mrr877.png

Deadly
2011-03-08, 09:30 AM
Winter steps back as the kobolds advance upon the group. As she draws her orb and raises it, a cloud of razor sharp blades appear around the middle kobold.

Winter has no melee weapon, so no opportunity attacks for her :(

Shift 1 square left

Cloud of Daggers on the middle kobold:

[roll0] vs. Reflex, [roll1] damage on a hit. The cloud remains until the end of my next turn, and any kobold that enters or starts there takes 3 damage.

mastermind
2011-03-08, 04:31 PM
I didn't look it up, but it's safe to say that you hit.

Snarn's Map
http://i51.tinypic.com/msn5s9.png

Gillric
2011-03-08, 04:34 PM
Snarn takes the opportunity presented by the moving kobold to lash out at it.

Opportunity Attack
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage

mastermind
2011-03-08, 04:41 PM
Okay. It's still Snarn's turn.

The red splotch means bloodied.
http://i51.tinypic.com/11alvd5.png

Gillric
2011-03-08, 04:46 PM
Snarn draws to focus of his nearby enemies and then lashes out at the one to his north.

Free Action: mark all enemies in close burst 1
Standard: Weight of Earth
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage and slowed until end of next turn

Sinfonian
2011-03-08, 08:34 PM
Taking the AoO:
Basic Melee Attack: [roll0] vs AC

mastermind
2011-03-09, 08:02 AM
Snarn Hits, Akmeda misses, Akmeda's actual turn now.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2lkpm2x.png

Sinfonian
2011-03-09, 01:35 PM
Akmeda now begins to get into the groove of battle, getting to know her enemies and the tide of combat. She makes a heavy swing with her sword at the kobold in the cloud of daggers, hopefully putting it offbalance enough for Snarn to get a better shot in. She then moves quickly, to avoid being surrounded, all the while telling herself that she needs to just ignore that nasty hit by the acid.

Using Furious Smash against that kobold.
Attack: [roll0] vs Fort (+2 for flanking added)
If it hits, it does 4 damage and Snarn gets a +3 power bonus to attack and damage on his next attack against that target.
Then she will shift one square west and use inspiring word on herself, spending a healing surge to gain 6+[roll1] hp back, as well as getting a +1 power bonus to all defenses until her next turn.

mastermind
2011-03-09, 05:45 PM
Akmeda's sword cleaves into the wounded kobold. It falls to the ground in a heap.

Assuming you shift to the left, otherwise the kobold gets AoO...

The kobold with bluish armor looks at the masked kobold and nods. He shifts out of Akmeda's reach and moves away from them. As he does this, the masked kobold runs up towards the group, faces all 3 of the party, raises his staff into the sky, and a veil of acid shoots from it, enveloping them.

[roll0] vs Fortitude, for [roll1] damage. Miss deals half damage

Meanwhile, the kobold by Snarn jabs at him with his short sword.

[roll2] vs AC, for [roll3] damage, and Snarb in marked until the end of the kobolds' next turn.

mastermind
2011-03-09, 06:14 PM
Map, and Winter's turn.

Green is where the acid hit.
http://i53.tinypic.com/32zja69.png

Deadly
2011-03-10, 06:30 AM
Winter reels back at the seering acid, but quickly responds in kind with a ray of necrotic energy, before moving behind the large rocky formation for cover.

Winter at 11/22 hp, so she's bloodied

Ray of Enfeeblement on StaffGuy

[roll0] vs. Fortitude, on hit [roll1] damage and he is weakened till the end of my next turn

Move to 2 squares diagonally up and left, then 2 squares directly up from there.

Cloud of daggers ends

mastermind
2011-03-10, 08:31 AM
Map up soon. Akmeda's turn