PDA

View Full Version : File recovery for overwritten files

Green-Shirt Q
2010-12-28, 10:14 PM
So here's how it goes. I was working on this big video for Youtube, see? It was, like, 20 minutes long, so I wanted to break it down into three or four parts (the program I'm using is Cyberlink Power Director 8 and the computer I'm using is Windows 7 if that helps answer my problem). Here's the problem, the "save" button and the "save as" button are right beside each other. I accidentally hit the save button and the full version of the video, and all the progress I've spent many, MANY weeks working on, is gone and replaced with just part one.

So, how utterly screwed am I? Is it even remotely possible that I can get to my earlier saved version? If so, how? Please help. I would REALLY much rather not have to do the entire rest of the video over again. :smallfrown::smallsigh:

And yes, before ANYBODY says it, I KNOW I SHOULD'VE HAD A BACK UP VERSION OF IT! I've learned my lesson. I know that now. ANybody got any useful advice?

Thufir
2010-12-28, 10:17 PM
If you right click on it in windows explorer, is there an option to 'restore previous versions'?

Note: I am by no means an expert or anything and cannot guarantee this will be helpful, but it's the only thing which springs to mind.

Green-Shirt Q
2010-12-28, 10:19 PM
If you right click on it in windows explorer, is there an option to 'restore previous versions'?

Note: I am by no means an expert or anything and cannot guarantee this will be helpful, but it's the only thing which springs to mind.

I'm not quite sure I follow. Right click on what exactly? :smallconfused:

Thufir
2010-12-28, 10:36 PM
The video file.

Green-Shirt Q
2010-12-28, 10:47 PM
The video file.

*does so*

Thufir...if we were in the same country, I'd kiss you.

EVERYTHING WAS SAVED! Well, almost everything. Everything I did tonight was completely lost, but I still have more work saved than I would have! It's a post-Christmas miracle! Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Skeppio
2010-12-28, 10:50 PM
I actually tried Thufir's suggestion to see how it works. It couldn't find a previous version of the test file i had made, so I guess it has to take some time before it holds the old version in its memory.

Glad to hear it all worked out, Q! :smallbiggrin:

And Thufir, you're a genius. I'll definitely keep that in mind should I run into the same problem Q did.