PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that wants tarquin's manual?

nhbdy
2010-12-28, 11:04 PM
Seriously, the title says it all, I would love to have a copy of the manual Tarquin gave to his guards, it would be a riot to read! Kinda reminds me of this: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CEAkOMA8acc/SQEf1rXlFRI/AAAAAAAABFw/Fz52kDPIvQo/116.jpg

Warren Dew
2010-12-28, 11:22 PM
You're definitely not the only one. I mentioned wanting it in the comic 766 thread, but I agree it's worth its own thread.

Wanderer
2010-12-28, 11:26 PM
Go read The Evil Overlord List. (http://www.eviloverlord.com/) The phrasing may differ, but I suspect the gist is much the same. Of course, differences in phrasing can be quite amusing, so assuming we're not condemning Rich to many more hours of work he doesn't need to be doing, I'd be quite interested in seeing a complete version of that manual as well.

Madapplejack
2010-12-28, 11:27 PM
I came to the forums with the purpose of posting how I wanted just such a manual...you beat me to it!

A Weeping Angel
2010-12-28, 11:28 PM
It would be very cool, though I don't know how much mileage would be gotten out of it. Just think up all the tropes & genre conventions then do the sensible thing and there you are. Plus ninja'd by the evil overlord manual mentions
Maybe as bonus content in the next book or filler material during hiatus's etc.

Felixc-91
2010-12-28, 11:39 PM
yes, i fully support this motion and want the inserted into the next book idea to happen. sure, you can figure this stuff out, but (some of) your employees will need it spelled out for them.

MoonCat
2010-12-28, 11:41 PM
I would certainly love one. There was a suggestion in the strip's thread that when the book comes out there could be a full page from the book as a bonus. I doubt the Giant would make the whole book, but a page would be pretty neat.

yldenfrei
2010-12-28, 11:55 PM
The main difference between Tarquin's manual and the Evil Overlord List is that the manual is meant to be distributed to the henchmen. Most points in the Overlord list, especially pertaining to plans of conquest, will be conspicuously absent.

I think it's a fun read on its own. :smallbiggrin:

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-29, 01:54 AM
Go read The Evil Overlord List. (http://www.eviloverlord.com/) The phrasing may differ, but I suspect the gist is much the same. Of course, differences in phrasing can be quite amusing, so assuming we're not condemning Rich to many more hours of work he doesn't need to be doing, I'd be quite interested in seeing a complete version of that manual as well.

The main difference between Tarquin's manual and the Evil Overlord List is that the manual is meant to be distributed to the henchmen. Most points in the Overlord list, especially pertaining to plans of conquest, will be conspicuously absent.

I think it's a fun read on its own. :smallbiggrin:

Why don't we forumers try to adapt the list into a proper handbook, we could do the rephrasing in this of the individual points in this thread, and eventually, it would just have to be passed down into an image editing program for the water marks and the page distribution.

The only problem I see is Rich's copyright over Tarkin, and that I don't know how could be handled.

Does anyone know which font is used on the manual on the comic?

Felixc-91
2010-12-29, 02:29 AM
{snipped}
The only problem I see is Rich's copyright over Tarkin, and that I don't know how could be handled.

Does anyone know which font is used on the manual on the comic?
looks like standard times new roman to me. visually its a match.

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-29, 02:36 AM
looks like standard times new roman to me. visually its a match.

The problem is the apostrophe in Tarquin's Tips, it's entirely different to Times New Roman

And also, the Titles for each subsection are most definitely Times New Roman

Felixc-91
2010-12-29, 03:09 AM
The problem is the apostrophe in Tarquin's Tips, it's entirely different to Times New Roman

And also, the Titles for each subsection are most definitely Times New Roman... ok so he used a different font for the titles... i'm not familiar with it, but am sure that the bulleted stuff is times... wait, i found it. Arial black.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-29, 08:54 AM

Yeah I assumed that's all it is. Also, is the whole thing about surprise inspections on the list? If not, someone should add it.

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-29, 09:06 AM
... ok so he used a different font for the titles... i'm not familiar with it, but am sure that the bulleted stuff is times... wait, i found it. Arial black.

The letter for the titles is Gautami.

Zordrath
2010-12-29, 09:09 AM
Maybe we'll get part of it as a goodie in the print collections, like the tourist guide to Azure City? :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2010-12-29, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for

Lord Loss
2010-12-29, 10:55 AM
I would most certainly buy it, but I don't think it's going to happen :smallfrown:.

King of Nowhere
2010-12-29, 04:47 PM
with luck, we may get it in the next book.

Some of them is already in the "evil overlord manual", but the "mook manual" may be good to read anyway.

AsteriskAmp
2010-12-29, 04:54 PM
There is a mook manual http://web.archive.org/web/20091027095733/geocities.com/evilsnack/henchman.htm

Partof1
2010-12-29, 05:58 PM
I am interested by the evil overlord manual, but I think it was written by an aspiring protagonist, so one or two important points have been left out to be exploited later. :smalltongue:

Felixc-91
2010-12-29, 11:57 PM
There is a mook manual http://web.archive.org/web/20091027095733/geocities.com/evilsnack/henchman.htm yes, but what we need here is one written for the benefit of the OVERLORD, not the henchmen. something one might actually expect the evil overlord to hand out. this one has far too many tips involving undermining the overlord.

super dark33
2010-12-31, 02:53 PM
its a GUARD genere savy manuel, not a EVIL WARLORD genere savy manuel,
so i wont need it :smallbiggrin:

Felixc-91
2010-12-31, 08:46 PM
its a GUARD genere savy manuel, not a EVIL WARLORD genere savy manuel,
so i wont need it :smallbiggrin:but just in case, grab one any way, might be useful in avoiding being stabbed in the back!