PDA

View Full Version : Hug thread

WarKitty
2010-12-28, 11:21 PM
Because sometimes we all need hugs. Or just want them. Or feel like giving them out. So here's a hug for the boards, and have fun everyone:

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kitten-hug.jpeg

DeadManSleeping
2010-12-28, 11:33 PM
For some reason, I feel like people seem to fall into two camps: those who will hug anyone, even a complete stranger, and those who are uncomfortable with hugs at all, even involving close relations. I feel glad to be in the former group.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs.

For'Ninniach
2010-12-28, 11:59 PM
I love this thread.

Skeppio
2010-12-29, 12:02 AM
I like this thread already.

*Hugs for everyone* :smallsmile:

Blue Ghost
2010-12-29, 12:50 AM
Ah, there can always be more hugs in the world. :smallsmile:
*Bigby's affectionate hug*

Marillion
2010-12-29, 02:07 AM
Ah, there can always be more hugs in the world. :smallsmile:
*Bigby's affectionate hug*
I prefer Bigby's Bear Hug for these situations, though in times of great need, nothing gets the job done like Bigby's Rib Crusher :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2010-12-29, 02:49 AM
For some reason, I feel like people seem to fall into two camps: those who will hug anyone, even a complete stranger, and those who are uncomfortable with hugs at all, even involving close relations. I feel glad to be in the former group.

I stand more in the middle. Anyway.... Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-29, 08:04 AM
Because sometimes we all need hugs. Or just want them. Or feel like giving them out. So here's a hug for the boards, and have fun everyone:

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kitten-hug.jpeg

Heh, silly Kitty, posting this while I was asleep. :smalltongue:

*snuggles muchly* The God of Snuggles blesses this thread. =3

Dallas-Dakota
2010-12-29, 08:16 AM
He who gives Blue furry glomps & huggles also blesses this thread.
*boogie bless*

*blue furry huggles*

MonkeyBusiness
2010-12-29, 08:38 AM
<monkeyhug>

jebob
2010-12-29, 09:04 AM
*Hugs for all*

Lord Loss
2010-12-29, 10:04 AM
*hugs all around*

slimy, eldtrich abomination, mind destroying hugs, but still hugs.

KenderWizard
2010-12-29, 10:12 AM
Maybe we should also tell hug-related stories, so the thread isn't just people saying the word hug a lot, which, while affectionate and nice, is never going to be either a real conversation or a real hug.

What's the best hug you ever got?

*hugs for all!*

WarKitty
2010-12-29, 10:28 AM
Actually, real life hugs scare me. :smallredface:

Jimorian
2010-12-29, 10:44 AM
What's the best hug you ever got?

*hugs for all!*

Oooh! I actually know the answer to this. :smallbiggrin:

About 3 years ago, a coworker of mine posted that she was playing at a local open-mic playing guitar and singing. I went to see her play and she blew me away with how awesome she was.

Over the next few months, we talked about her music at work, and I hatched an idea to create a music show on the local access channel to showcase her and other local musicians. But we were both so busy nothing ever came of it. In fact, since I usually worked nights, I rarely got a chance to see her play, and then she left for another job and the only contact I had with her then was through her MySpace page.

Jump ahead a few months, and I get fired from work for a really crappy reason (I was full-time with benefits in a company that suddenly wanted to save money, so a single accidental violation of a policy after 9 years there was enough to can me). That same week I went to see my best friend (that I'd had a crush on for years) get married to somebody else.

I came home just about as down in the dumps as I'd ever been. So when I saw her myspace bulletin about her upcoming birthday show at a local club, I decided to go to cheer myself up. I even got her a birthday card before going.

Well, when I get there, she sees me and runs up to give me the BIGGEST and warmest friend hug ever, and until that moment I had no idea how much I really needed it. :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile:

I watched her show, where she had gotten even better with experience and practice, and I decided right then and there to follow through on the access show idea.

So I went to their classes to learn TV production for their studio, and helped out on various other shows at the station to get as much experience as possible. I even took a class for their remote production truck that they use to shoot community events around town.

Eventually, my show started taping, and she was the first artist on it (see 2nd link in sig below :smallcool:). But this is far from the end of the story.

As I continued to volunteer for different shoots at the station, I realized I really liked both the production side of things, as well as working with a lot of positive people who were working to help the community.

Having taken all the classes at the station, I signed up for additional TV production classes at the local community college. Additionally, the station management appreciated my professionalism and attitude on the shoots so much they offered me a paid position as part-time on-call staff.

While all this was going on, I kept going out to local music shows. At first to see my friend play, but as I got to know other musicians and started talking to them about appearing on my show, I infused myself into another amazing community of fantastic creative and friendly people.

So now, just a little over 2 years after the worst week in my life, I'm working in, and learning about, a field I really like, and I'm orbiting around a bunch of stunningly talented musicians and seeing them reach for their dreams. Far far FAR better than the life of retail drudgery I let myself be trapped in for much too long.

And while getting fired was the kick I needed to get me off that wrong path, I didn't have a positive direction to take its place until a good friend gave me the best hug in the world. :smallbiggrin:

KenderWizard
2010-12-29, 10:50 AM
Wow! That's an AMAZING hug story, well done!

Eloel
2010-12-29, 10:52 AM
*huggles everyone*

Then there's people like me, who have no problem with hugging everyone, but are in doubt to when the 2nd party would be uncomfortable. Reduces hug % by alot.

I seriously want to go stand on a bridge or something and shout

"You shall not pass! Without hugging, that is!"

WarKitty
2010-12-29, 10:56 AM
*huggles everyone*

Then there's people like me, who have no problem with hugging everyone, but are in doubt to when the 2nd party would be uncomfortable. Reduces hug % by alot.

I seriously want to go stand on a bridge or something and shout

I'm sort of in between. I like hugs, but I get spooked if someone runs up and gives me a hug unless I know them extremely well. Although that tends to be more of an ask first thing - if the same person asks me if I want a hug, I'll probably say yes.

Dvil
2010-12-29, 12:32 PM
I have a t-shirt with "free hugs" in big red letters across the front, but everyone in my city is either gloomy or I think just assumes it's not serious. So I never get hugs off strangers.

Except now, that is!

HUGS!
:smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-29, 07:29 PM
I'm sort of in between. I like hugs, but I get spooked if someone runs up and gives me a hug unless I know them extremely well. Although that tends to be more of an ask first thing - if the same person asks me if I want a hug, I'll probably say yes.

Can I have a hug, Kitty? =3

The hug that got me started on my hug addiction was in high school. At this point, all I can remember was having an awful day. On the way to my last class, this really cute girl who was a friend of my sister's ran up and randomly gave me a hug, and from that point, my day just seemed...brighter. Dunno if it was just because it felt like, you know, someone always cares about you, and there are people out there who will be kind to you even if they don't know you, but it was just...inspiring. =3

LordOMud
2010-12-29, 07:34 PM
*looks through thread*

Hmm . . . a thread about hugs? :smallconfused: Just hugs?

Well . . . that's just . . .

AWESOME

*HUGZ*

Dr.Epic
2010-12-29, 07:37 PM
Is it okay if I derail this thread into a bear hug thread? Everything better with bears.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-29, 07:39 PM
Is it okay if I derail this thread into a bear hug thread? Everything better with bears.

Not true. I prefer my salmon bear-free. >.>

blackfox
2010-12-29, 07:44 PM
!
Hugs!
:smallbiggrin:
HUGS ALL AROUND

WarKitty
2010-12-29, 07:53 PM
Can I have a hug, Kitty? =3

The hug that got me started on my hug addiction was in high school. At this point, all I can remember was having an awful day. On the way to my last class, this really cute girl who was a friend of my sister's ran up and randomly gave me a hug, and from that point, my day just seemed...brighter. Dunno if it was just because it felt like, you know, someone always cares about you, and there are people out there who will be kind to you even if they don't know you, but it was just...inspiring. =3

*pouncehugsnuggle* :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-29, 08:11 PM
*pouncehugsnuggle* :smallbiggrin:

<3

Your pounce-snuggles make me giggle every time. =)

Kallisti
2010-12-29, 08:17 PM
:smallsmile:*Hugs all around*

FoE
2010-12-29, 08:25 PM
*hugs all around*

slimy, eldtrich abomination, mind destroying hugs, but still hugs.

Sometimes, even (http://owmysanity.comicgenesis.com/d/20100602.html) eldritch abominations (http://owmysanity.comicgenesis.com/d/20100607.html) need a hug (http://owmysanity.comicgenesis.com/d/20100608.html).

Lateral
2010-12-29, 10:05 PM
Hello, people!

Hello, BG!

*ultraglomp*

DeadManSleeping
2010-12-29, 10:14 PM
I have a t-shirt with "free hugs" in big red letters across the front, but everyone in my city is either gloomy or I think just assumes it's not serious. So I never get hugs off strangers.

I crafted my own FREE HUGS t-shirt. It says it on both the front AND back, so that people have the most chance of seeing it. It's only gotten me a hug once, but it happened because of the back-writing, so I'd call that worth it! In fact, I only wear it during the warm season so that I never have to cover it with a coat.

Marillion
2010-12-29, 10:26 PM
I don't know about best hug, but the most memorable one happened about 6 years ago. I was seeing Kung-Fu Hustle with my grandpa, and as the movie ended, he and I got up and started to walk out. I heard someone call my name, and it turned out to be a friend from school. I said hi, we talked a bit, and she casually mentioned she was here with friends and whatnot. I said that's nice, and how'd you like the movie, and

"FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK" *glomp*

So there I was, standing in the middle of a movie theatre, confused look on my face, with a girl hanging off my back, arms and legs wrapped around me. She leans in, says "Hi.", dismounts, and walks away.

In retrospect, she may have had a crush on me.

Perenelle
2010-12-29, 11:20 PM
*pops into thread*
ohmigod, its all... hugs?

I highly approve. *huggles everyone* :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-29, 11:21 PM
Hugs. Yes. We definitely need more of them. Just make sure your hands are clean. *Hugs*

Killer Angel
2010-12-30, 03:38 AM

Everything is better also with pirates. And they have Penelope Cruz and Jonny Depp (which, indeed, hugs a lot).

FoE
2010-12-30, 03:42 AM
Penelope Cruz is a pirate?

Killer Angel
2010-12-30, 03:50 AM
Penelope Cruz is a pirate?

Well, she's in the cast of "Pirates of the Carribean - on stranger tides", and plays Blackbeard’s daughter. I think it counts. :smallwink:
(unless you are saying that I shouldn't name the actors, but their characters)

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-30, 08:13 AM
*pops into thread*
ohmigod, its all... hugs?

I highly approve. *huggles everyone* :smallbiggrin:

*cuddles* ^_^

Your new avvie is BEYOND adorable, btw.

Above tackle-glomp reminded me. I got one from RHL when we first met. I had not prepared myself for such excitement after 20 hours of nonstop driving, and got knocked off my feet. =3

*huggles*

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-30, 09:30 AM
*hugs for all!*

Once, there was a free hugs event on campus, I constrictorhugged one guy and he disintegrated.

Lateral
2010-12-30, 09:38 AM
MAUVE!

*glompromotes*

This one time, I was DMing a game of D&D with my little bro, and we were just finishing a long campaign. We got to the end and he finally got to fight Orcus.

Just so you know, he'd been dying to fight Orcus since his PC's were all level 2.

He beat him, the campaign ended, and... hugs all around. :smallsmile:

KenderWizard
2010-12-30, 03:52 PM
I think my favourite kind of hugs are when I meet my boyfriend at the airport after he's been away.

But my most memorable hug was on my 17th birthday. I was not expecting anything except a nice family dinner, but my mother left to "pick up a Swiss Roll for dessert", and came back with my best friend, who lived in a different town. She'd taken the train to get to us and was going to stay the night. It was so exciting! And when we went up to my room after dinner, she spontaneously hugged me. Which doesn't sound very special, but at the time, she was not a hugger. She would kind of let me hug her when we said goodbye, but that was about it. So it was a really special hug for me on an unexpectedly awesome birthday!

Amiel
2010-12-31, 02:44 AM
I come bearing gifts pictures!
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/8e0b2837-e445-47b6-a6f2-f3085e1ca1e8.jpeg?w=500&h=375
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/funny-pictures-even-basement-cat-needs-a-hug.jpg
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/godzilla.jpg?w=372&h=411
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/funny-pictures-cat-missed-you1.jpg

Snow Leopard
2010-12-31, 04:26 AM
*Hugging mode*

Because the world is better with more hugs :smallsmile:

Lady Moreta
2010-12-31, 05:52 AM
I love this thread! *hugs*

I love this thread.

I just noticed your signature... Sindarin or Quenya? (and yes I know I spelt Sindarin wrong, I can never remember how it should be)

I would hug you :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't hug someone wearing a 'free hugs' t shirt, not unless I was dared to by a friend or something, nor would I wear one myself, but I do like hugs.

I think my favourite kind of hugs are when I meet my boyfriend at the airport after he's been away.

Oooh, that reminds me of the first time I met Peregrine - we'd been dating for almost four months but hadn't actually met yet. He was waiting for me at the airport when my friend and I got off the plane. I didn't know what to say, was incredibly nervous so I just walked straight into his arms and hugged him.

Actually one of the best hugs I've ever gotten was when he met me at the airport after I moved over. I had a backpack on my back, a pillow under one arm and my laptop bag in my other hand. Same deal - I just walked straight into him and he hugged me. It felt very good. :smallsmile:

MoonCat
2011-01-01, 03:33 PM
<hugs!> I love this thread already! At an old school I went to you hugged everyone to say hello, goodbye, and welcome. Occasionally during the daily assembly (Did I mention the whole school never got bigger than 30 kids?) we would end and fill up the time until lunch by hugging everyone, when we achieved that, we could go eat. I never thought I'd see an internet version though

Lateral
2011-01-01, 06:33 PM
I just hugged most of the SMBG's.

*hugs*

Balain
2011-01-22, 02:18 AM
Kind of sad story but a good hug, not sure if it's my best hug but up there

A friends mom passed away about 6 months ago. I've known the family since Grade 7, so like 18 years. His dad is also in rough shape, Beat cancer a year ago and then had a stroke about 8 months ago.

Anyways, met the dad at the funeral and he was glad to see me, but I could tell he didn't know if he should shake my hand or hug me or what, so I just gave him a huge hug. It seemed to make his day a tad better for the circumstances.

Lady Moreta
2011-01-22, 10:35 AM
That was good of you Balain :smallsmile:

I could use a hug... some inconsiderate jerk is playing bassy music LOUDLY at 11:35pm... I can't sleep :smallfrown::smallannoyed::smallmad:

Skeppio
2011-01-22, 10:37 AM

I could use a hug... some inconsiderate jerk is playing bassy music LOUDLY at 11:35pm... I can't sleep :smallfrown::smallannoyed::smallmad:

*hugs* How's that? :smallsmile:
And I know that situation. We have loud, obnoxious neighbours living next door. Needless to say, hilarity does not ensue. :smallsigh:

WarKitty
2011-01-22, 10:54 AM

*hugs*

*sends cymbols over* I recommend using them around 8 or 9 in the morning.

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 09:16 PM
Hugs. Yes. We definitely need more of them. Just make sure your hands are clean. *Hugs*

Ahh, little do you know, young one, the best hugs are when one's hands are the dirtiest. :smallwink:

rayne_dragon
2011-01-22, 10:41 PM
Ahh, little do you know, young one, the best hugs are when one's hands are the dirtiest. :smallwink:

Uhh... not if you ruin my favourite shirt they're not.

Personally I find the best hugs are the ones where at least one person ends up off their feet...

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 10:43 PM
Uhh... not if you ruin my favourite shirt they're not.

Personally I find the best hugs are the ones where at least one person ends up off their feet...

Rough hugs can definitely do both, though I imagine the lifting is more a quality of unbridled hugs.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, it's kind of funny how it almost doesn't feel right to lift someone up off the ground in a hug without twirling 'em though...

Anyone else get that feeling?

rayne_dragon
2011-01-22, 11:13 PM
Rough hugs can definitely do both, though I imagine the lifting is more a quality of unbridled hugs.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, it's kind of funny how it almost doesn't feel right to lift someone up off the ground in a hug without twirling 'em though...

Anyone else get that feeling?

I was more thinking of tackling someone with a hug, but yeah, twirling/being twirled is also cool. Doesn't happen as often as I like :smallfrown:.

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 11:25 PM
I was more thinking of tackling someone with a hug, but yeah, twirling/being twirled is also cool. Doesn't happen as often as I like :smallfrown:.

Does anything, really? Never really classified glomps as hugs so much as a form of foreplay myself though. So I must confess to a bit of envy as to experiences where they're common enough for that not to be the case.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-23, 12:11 AM
Does anything, really? Never really classified glomps as hugs so much as a form of foreplay myself though. So I must confess to a bit of envy as to experiences where they're common enough for that not to be the case.

Foreplay! Ack! :smalleek:

Male psychology continues to elude me. I'm actually less likely to glomp someone I'm attracted to. I'm also pretty sure it has nothing to do with how often it happens either, since it doesn't happen all that frequently.