PDA

View Full Version : ITEM CREATION...how..how..HOW?!

Loki Eremes
2010-12-29, 03:44 AM
I just dont get it.
It gets more difficult when english is not your mother language.
And even more if its your first time creating custom items and you are willing to play an artificer for the first time in your life.

Guide from d20srd.org to create magic items its very detalied, but lacks examples.

tell me how an item whose purpose is to give you bonus on a certain skill
(lets say "+5 on hide checks") and is stated that its cost will be "bonus squared (5 in this case) x 100gp" ends costing a total of 2500gp (as the Cloak of Elvenkind)? :smallmad:

Please, give me the formula for that, there is something missing to reach that value. And if you re good aligned ones add XP costs to that formula and a nice explanation to it too. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-12-29, 03:48 AM
It's pretty straigthforward, actually, and the formula you quoted is correct.

Bonus squared * 100:
(+5)^2 * 100 = 2500

Kuma Kode
2010-12-29, 03:53 AM
Unfortunately, there are no solid formulas. The ones in the DM's guide are guidelines. The actual price is dependent upon the actual utility of the item, as determined by the DM.

For instance, by the formulas, an item that grants a +10 bonus to Use Magic Device will be the same price as an item that grants a +10 bonus to Craft (Carpentry), while in practice the two should be completely different in value, because Use Magic Device is simply a more powerful skill than Craft (Carpentry). The same applies to items that store or replicate spells.

pinballchico
2010-12-29, 03:54 AM
not sure on the details of item creation....but the math issue could be language related........5 squared......is5×5 so 25×100 =2500......squared is the little 2 above a number.....so bonus value × itself ×100gp......hope that helps.

Loki Eremes
2010-12-29, 05:09 AM
not sure on the details of item creation....but the math issue could be language related........5 squared......is5×5 so 25×100 =2500......squared is the little 2 above a number.....so bonus value × itself ×100gp......hope that helps.

yup, that was the issue.

and what about XP needed for crafting it?

Vistella
2010-12-29, 05:13 AM
Magic supplies for items are always half of the base price in gp and 1/25 of the base price in XP. For many items, the market price equals the base price.

so (baseprice)/25 or the (result of your formula)/12,5

pinballchico
2010-12-29, 05:41 AM
kind of off topic....but what is your main language? just curious...not familiar with your country...and eager to learn. have a lvl2 artificer in my party...so i'll learn how item creation works eventuality..but for now I can't help much.

Vistella
2010-12-29, 05:46 AM
kind of off topic....but what is your main language? just curious...not familiar with your country...and eager to learn. have a lvl2 artificer in my party...so i'll learn how item creation works eventuality..but for now I can't help much.

Morinza is in albania according to google

Loki Eremes
2010-12-29, 06:02 AM
Morinza is in albania according to google

omg so there exist a Morinza after all O.o

lol, Im from Argentina, so Spanish is my main language.
never studied english. i've learned what i know playing games since i was a kid (god bless you Leisure suit Larry :elan:)

and Morinza its just the name of a city where my actual PC lives when he is not outside adventuring :smalltongue:

Thx you all for helping me with this query :smallbiggrin: