PDA

View Full Version : advantages / disadvantages for 3.5 / pathfinder

nihil8r
2010-12-29, 06:33 AM
hey all, i'm trying to start a story-based low-magic dark fantasy pathfinder game soon. while the "traits" in the pathfinder advanced book are okay, they really aren't nearly interesting enough for me. before i start writing my own stuff, does anyone know of any 3.5-compatible advantages/disadvantages out there? :mitd:

Nero24200
2010-12-29, 11:09 AM
There are traits in Iron Heroes, though they are significantly more powerful than Pathfinder Traits (mostly because they were intended as a substitute for racial features).

Golden-Esque
2010-12-29, 01:23 PM
hey all, i'm trying to start a story-based low-magic dark fantasy pathfinder game soon. while the "traits" in the pathfinder advanced book are okay, they really aren't nearly interesting enough for me. before i start writing my own stuff, does anyone know of any 3.5-compatible advantages/disadvantages out there? :mitd:

I'm not really sure what you're looking for in a trait, but just remember that the Pathfinder system is balanced around having 2 traits = 1 feat in terms of power. The Additional Traits feat exemplifies this nicely. So yeah, you're not going to find super "interesting" traits. They're designed to be perks for good backstories, not a noticeable character advantage.

nihil8r
2011-01-11, 06:03 AM
thanks for the replies. i AM looking for advantages/disadvantages that will affect roleplaying as well as combat, such as in many white wolf games. but it should be easy to make up. :)

Golden-Esque
2011-01-11, 12:58 PM
thanks for the replies. i AM looking for advantages/disadvantages that will affect roleplaying as well as combat, such as in many white wolf games. but it should be easy to make up. :)

The easiest way to do this is to take the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide and look at the Traits in that book. Come up with alternatives that are relatively similar in power. For example, you could do something along the lines of "+1 to a skill and that skill is always considered a class skill" without disrupting Pathfinder's balance of traits. The SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits) has a list of every Pathfinder trait in the game; be warned that there's a chance that some of them are 3rd-Party and you can't always trust those (I, for one, won't let my players even THINK about Psionics Unleashed until I own the book myself, even though I hear that balance-wise it's quite good).

It's usually a bad idea to introduce options that completely overpower the core options unless you put some restrictions on them (i.e. make a new category so your players can only take one of those traits).