PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Character: Revisited

Elric VIII
2010-12-29, 02:10 PM
I while back I posted a thread asking for advice on a Shifter character. That thread was quite useful in explaining to me the mechanics of natural attacks coupled with manufactured weapons/unarmed strikes. I now have a few questions about the class build itself.

I plan to include 4 levels of Warshaper and 5 levels of Weretouched Master somewhere in the build. I will also take at least 2 levels of Psychic Warrior for the feats and the Expansion power.

I just have a few things to ask.

1.) I am rather unfamiliar with psionics, so I am unsure of whether taking more than a dip into Psychic Warrior for Expansion, without maxing my ML, is the same as going Wizard 10/Cleric 10 so that you can be the most powerful spellcaster ever. Is Psychic Warrior ok with only 8-10 levels over my 20 or will I find that most powers are useless at higher levels?

2.) With the Warshaper's Morphic Weapons ability, can I create a set of rear-leg claws to gain more claw attacks? If not, assuming I have Razorclaw and Longtooth (claw and bite attacks), what are my alterntives for other natural attacks?

3.) I am going to want to get as many shifter feats as possible, since I'm focusing on shifting. Weretouched master is the only class that I know of that grants shifter feats. Are there any classes/options that give extra general or shifter feats? (I am using flaws)

Thank you.

comicshorse
2010-12-29, 02:18 PM
Bloodclaw Master from the Tome of Battle enables a Shifter to Shift another time a day at 1st and Fifth level

Elric VIII
2010-12-29, 03:18 PM
Bloodclaw Master from the Tome of Battle enables a Shifter to Shift another time a day at 1st and Fifth level
Thanks, forgot about that.

Urpriest
2010-12-29, 03:32 PM
Warshaper is ambiguous. It might allow anything from unlimited natural attacks to only one at a time. As a DM I would be reluctant to allow hind leg claws if you already had front leg claws, and would recommend some other type of natural weapon, for example wing attacks or a gore. You'll have to talk to your DM about how many extra natural attacks Warshaper can grant and whether you can enhance them with Warshaper abilities.

A Psychic Warrior dip is not a bad investment. Being bigger is useful at any level, as are several other low-level Psychic Warrior powers (I think Hustle is a Psychic Warrior power, and Psionic Lion's Charge is definitely one. Both scale quite well). Getting Practiced Manifester would let you augment powers further, allowing you to become bigger with Expansion for example.

Elric VIII
2010-12-29, 03:45 PM
Warshaper is ambiguous. It might allow anything from unlimited natural attacks to only one at a time. As a DM I would be reluctant to allow hind leg claws if you already had front leg claws, and would recommend some other type of natural weapon, for example wing attacks or a gore. You'll have to talk to your DM about how many extra natural attacks Warshaper can grant and whether you can enhance them with Warshaper abilities.

A Psychic Warrior dip is not a bad investment. Being bigger is useful at any level, as are several other low-level Psychic Warrior powers (I think Hustle is a Psychic Warrior power, and Psionic Lion's Charge is definitely one. Both scale quite well). Getting Practiced Manifester would let you augment powers further, allowing you to become bigger with Expansion for example.

Both of those powers are Psychic Warrior and seem very good.

The way my class build it looking I'm going to be taking Warshaper after Weretouched Master, using the tiger variant, and it just seemed that back claws are the most realistic attack to have since most felines use back claws to gore prey as they latch on with their front claws. But, what body part/apendage does a gore attack use, horns?

Urpriest
2010-12-29, 04:16 PM
Both of those powers are Psychic Warrior and seem very good.

The way my class build it looking I'm going to be taking Warshaper after Weretouched Master, using the tiger variant, and it just seemed that back claws are the most realistic attack to have since most felines use back claws to gore prey as they latch on with their front claws. But, what body part/apendage does a gore attack use, horns?

Gore is for horns. Rake attacks cover the standard use of back claws by felines, but they have their own special rules (essentially they can't be used unless you charge an enemy with pounce or start your turn grappling them). I've seen a few monsters with Talons, either as one attack or two. These seem to represent hind claws, but they're more dinosaurlike or birdlike than catlike. Regardless, since the question of which attacks are acceptable for warshapers is DM adjudication anyway, I'd advise describing what you want to do and seeing if your DM is ok with it, as in this particular area there really isn't any RAW to go on.

Elric VIII
2010-12-29, 04:42 PM
Regardless, since the question of which attacks are acceptable for warshapers is DM adjudication anyway, I'd advise describing what you want to do and seeing if your DM is ok with it, as in this particular area there really isn't any RAW to go on.

As I'm putting together this character, I'm realizing this more and more. I will try to describe it to my DM in the way I want it to appear. While I could technically use gore/wings for the mechanical aspect it just doesn't fit in with my character image. Thank you for the advice.